Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 08:59:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bioware Austin.. damm more Dragons.. or Lightsabers? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bioware Austin.. damm more Dragons.. or Lightsabers?  (Read 347221 times)
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: October 28, 2007, 12:14:41 PM

It's only a six point scale.  It goes...

Shaft Windu = Epic win.  Flawless victory.  Robot Jesus.
Vader = Pretty awesome.  Lots of people should play it.
Anakin = Well it's not all bad.  Fanboys will play it.
Padme = Weaksauce.  I might play it for the free month, just because.

Binks = Pile of shit.  Even I'm not playing it.
SWG = Total trainwreck.  Hundred-page thread incoming.

And to make this more clear, I present version 2.0!

you are off your rocker.  Casting that whining creampuff as anakin makes me wish I had been playing SWG instead of watching him destroy a multi-million dollar movie.  He makes NGE look like a good idea.  This is the star wars equivalent of casting Leo as the main in man in the iron mask.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #491 on: October 28, 2007, 12:30:37 PM

DiCaprio was great in Iron Mask. Were you like 12 when it came out or what?
Dash
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: October 28, 2007, 06:25:50 PM

"It's a trap" is one of those things that gets me to lol every time.  Doesnt matter.

I'd swap Anakin with Padme, at least she's eye candy.  And Jar Jar with SWG.  SWG wasnt THAT b.. ok well it wasnt Jar Jar mesa don like yousa bad.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: October 28, 2007, 06:53:37 PM

DiCaprio was great in Iron Mask. Were you like 12 when it came out or what?

you must have been hammered when you watched it, I was closer to 12 when the Chamberlain version came out.  I find the Leo remake unwatchable.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #494 on: October 28, 2007, 07:14:03 PM

Well, let me test this first, just to check whether you're just not biased against the guy in general:

Basketball Diaries?

This Boy's Life?

The Aviator?
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: October 28, 2007, 07:39:36 PM

Well, let me test this first, just to check whether you're just not biased against the guy in general:

Basketball Diaries?

This Boy's Life?

The Aviator?

His only decent role ever was playing the retard in what's eating gilbert grape. 
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #496 on: October 28, 2007, 07:51:35 PM

It's settled then. No need to speak further. awesome, for real
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: October 28, 2007, 07:52:54 PM

What about The Departed? He was fuckin' money in that. Blood Diamond, too.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #498 on: October 28, 2007, 07:59:49 PM

He's just a good actor period. Some people have an irrational disliking for him, I guess.

[edit] And nobody better get on my ass about derailing. Dicaprio is actually more interesting than another Star Wars game.  wink
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #499 on: October 28, 2007, 08:29:22 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ohlen

James Ohlen has worked with Bioware since its early beginnings. Initially a minor writer and tester for Shattered Steel, his role in Bioware was brought to a new level in Baldur's Gate where he served as lead designer. Since then Ohlen has played a major role as lead designer for such games as Knights of the Old Republic and Baldur's Gate II. He is considered one of the most important game designers at Bioware today. Right now he is working as lead designer of Bioware's new MMORPG.[1]

Now. Where am I going wrong?

If I bold other statements in that paragraph, I could provide evidence that there is a Shattered Steel MMO incoming. Or a Baldur's Gate one.

Ohlen might be the lead dev, but that doesn't mean he personally designs everything in the game. Or even picks the IP. He just has to ensure that all the systems work together well and the game is delivered on time and on budget.

How some of the systems work underneath all of that will come from the other developers - developers who may or may not have bad habits picked up at other MMOs. The fact they can look their lead dev in the eye and say, "What you are suggesting never worked at <my old MMO> but it worked if you did this..." might see any Bioware MMO play pretty similar to <that old MMO or their derivatives>.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #500 on: October 29, 2007, 09:38:28 AM

Hay guyz multiplayer ftw~!

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #501 on: October 29, 2007, 10:10:49 AM

Epic. Fucking. Win.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: October 29, 2007, 11:44:19 AM

Shaft Windu? Jedi, pleez. This Jedi busts tehawesome scale:

That's seven on that scale. I PITY THE FOOL WHO SAYS COLLISION DETECTION!
Dash
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: October 29, 2007, 12:11:21 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ohlen

James Ohlen has worked with Bioware since its early beginnings. Initially a minor writer and tester for Shattered Steel, his role in Bioware was brought to a new level in Baldur's Gate where he served as lead designer. Since then Ohlen has played a major role as lead designer for such games as Knights of the Old Republic and Baldur's Gate II. He is considered one of the most important game designers at Bioware today. Right now he is working as lead designer of Bioware's new MMORPG.[1]

Now. Where am I going wrong?

If I bold other statements in that paragraph, I could provide evidence that there is a Shattered Steel MMO incoming. Or a Baldur's Gate one.

Ohlen might be the lead dev, but that doesn't mean he personally designs everything in the game. Or even picks the IP. He just has to ensure that all the systems work together well and the game is delivered on time and on budget.

How some of the systems work underneath all of that will come from the other developers - developers who may or may not have bad habits picked up at other MMOs. The fact they can look their lead dev in the eye and say, "What you are suggesting never worked at <my old MMO> but it worked if you did this..." might see any Bioware MMO play pretty similar to <that old MMO or their derivatives>.

Yeah no clue if it's going to be KotORO or not, I'm just saying it's obvious that "Bioware Austin" is still Bioware in that it has high level people that were directly involved in Bioware successes.  So the idea that this isnt the same people that made KotOR is simply wrong.  Maybe he's the only dude that was involved, but he had a very big role in it and there are apparently others from the Edmonton office as well according to the 1up article

GFW: How many of your key staffers migrated from SOE [which also has a studio in Austin]?

GW: I don't know that we have a count. Some from SOE, some from BioWare Edmonton, some from other companies completely. It's not like we had to go knocking. Experienced people want to work on a product that can be successful.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: October 29, 2007, 12:50:05 PM

The fool who says collision detection, I pity.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Secundo
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: October 29, 2007, 05:43:12 PM

yeah and Di Caprio isnt a good actor. He is a baby faced-mother-in-law-dream.

Sure he was ok in Aviator and Blood diamond but anyone with a slight touch of testosterone could have portrayed those guys.

"Klingons do not allow themselves to be probed" -Mr Worf
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #506 on: October 29, 2007, 07:08:50 PM

If you think it takes just being male to portray Howard Hughes, then you really don't have any appreciation for the subject.

[edit] Wtf is a "mother-in-law dream" anyways?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:15:19 PM by Stray »
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: October 29, 2007, 07:53:54 PM

Patrick Swayze during the 80s.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: October 29, 2007, 08:47:14 PM

If you think it takes just being male to portray Howard Hughes, then you really don't have any appreciation for the subject.

I wasn't much a DiCaprio fan until I saw that movie.  After seeing that, and especially The Departed (though my view on his acting ability may be skewed because of the sheer splendidness of the rest of the movie/actors), I would then admit he's a fine actor.

Pretty much hate everything else he's done though.
schild
Administrator

Reply #509 on: October 30, 2007, 02:16:51 AM

I thought he was the perfect casting in Catch Me if you Can.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #510 on: October 30, 2007, 04:04:48 AM

You really need to get Hayden the fuck out of there. He's bearable at the best of times, but as mentioned, having him next to OT Vader is just Wrong. Replace him with the guy from LA Law as Organa or a Super Battle Droid or Jango. Someone that's ok but not oarsome.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #511 on: October 30, 2007, 05:04:28 AM

Version 3.0

Are you picky bastards happy yet?  Shaft Windu had to go.  First I downgraded him to #2, because nobody is more kickass than Vader.  Then I dropped him entirely in favor of Han, because the meter needed more OT.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 05:16:47 AM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
schild
Administrator

Reply #512 on: October 30, 2007, 05:25:40 AM

Is that Jengo Fett instead of Boba Fett?

Look.

Nothing from Episode 1, 2, or 3 goes above meh.

For you claiming you "love" this shit, you're really bad at it.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: October 30, 2007, 05:59:26 AM

I wasn't much a DiCaprio fan until I saw that movie.  After seeing that, and especially The Departed (though my view on his acting ability may be skewed because of the sheer splendidness of the rest of the movie/actors), I would then admit he's a fine actor.

Pretty much hate everything else he's done though.

This. This right here. I didn't like the guy at all until The Aviator. maybe that's a testament more to Scorsese (which is fine and true because he makes the best fucking films) but it's probably both of them together making amazing stuff. Like alchemy.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: October 30, 2007, 06:06:25 AM

The problem with that chart, imo, is that you're putting people in that are interchangeable. Meaning, Han Solo and Darth Vader are first. They're interchangeable. So use one or the other. Hayden, Jar-Jar and SWG are equally lame. So they all belong in last place. Only use one of them. Mace Windu was kick-fucking-ass but Lucas had him go out like a bitch. So, he drops a place to number two. At least in my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree on that. But my main point is I think the chart is trying to use too many characters that belong in the same places.
Dash
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: October 30, 2007, 06:12:56 AM

Hmm.  This is tougher than it looks for the middle portion.  SWG - JarJar is almost a no brainer start, no changes.  I might swap out older annoying puss Anakin for younger less annoying brat Anakin next.  While Ep 1 was decidedly meh for me because of Gungans, JarJar and Midichlorians (or whatever the hell they are) oh and the way Darth Maul dies... kid Anakin was not terrible!   Boba - Han - Vader works for me. 

Furthermore, you cant squeeze him in since you have to have more Ep4-6 people in this than Ep1-3 if you're using SWG as the low point but, Darth Maul >>>> meh regardless of how he went out like a loser.  When you saw the dual bladed red lightsaber you didnt get hard?  You're damn right you did.

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: October 30, 2007, 06:26:45 AM

Furthermore, you cant squeeze him in since you have to have more Ep4-6 people in this than Ep1-3 if you're using SWG as the low point but, Darth Maul >>>> meh regardless of how he went out like a loser.  When you saw the dual bladed red lightsaber you didnt get hard?  You're damn right you did.

*sheepishly raises his hand*

I certainly felt a ... movement in my pants ... Then went completely limp when they killed him like that. He even had the higher ground! Which, I guess proves that Obi > Anakin. Kinda goes w/o saying. But makes it difficult when you add in the fact that Anakin is Darth Vader. Maybe the Emperor ordered the "awesome" option from the robots that put together Vader and that final "Noooooooo" was Anakin's inner lameness crying out in death as the awesome option crushed it.

Ya, I have no idea what I'm talking about either.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: October 30, 2007, 06:28:10 AM

SAN FRANCISCO, CA and EDMONTON, CANADA — October 30, 2007 — LucasArts and BioWare Corp. today announced that they have entered into an agreement to create an interactive entertainment product. The product, details of which will be unveiled at a later date, will be developed and published by BioWare and LucasArts, and will push the boundaries of the gaming market by utilizing the strengths of both companies to deliver an innovative, high-quality experience.

“LucasArts has a deep commitment to developing compelling stories and characters for the unique medium of interactive entertainment, and we have been searching for a developer that shares this value. We found this in BioWare,” said Jim Ward, president of LucasArts. “Through our previous collaborations, we know that BioWare has an impressive ability to blend gripping stories with technological advancements, and we believe that our upcoming product will deliver an experience that will span the traditional boundaries of video game entertainment.”

“BioWare’s mission is to deliver the best story and character-driven games in the world, delivering powerful emotional experiences to our fans.” said Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer, BioWare Corp. Added Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare Corp., “The collaboration with LucasArts allows us to combine our passion for creating high quality and innovative experiences with those of a company dedicated to bringing only the finest games to market.

Source

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #518 on: October 30, 2007, 06:37:40 AM

He's just a good actor period. Some people have an irrational disliking for him, I guess.

[edit] And nobody better get on my ass about derailing. Dicaprio is actually more interesting than another Star Wars game.  wink

He is generally a bad actor in bad movies.

Gangs of New York.
Basketball Diaries.
The Aviator.

Some people just have an irrational desire to renact the movie Blue Lagoon with themselves and him in a loin cloth.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: October 30, 2007, 06:48:01 AM

The Aviator was an empirically good movie. Why do you hate movies?
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #520 on: October 30, 2007, 06:50:57 AM

SAN FRANCISCO, CA and EDMONTON, CANADA — October 30, 2007 — LucasArts and BioWare Corp. today announced that they have entered into an agreement to create an interactive entertainment product. The product, details of which will be unveiled at a later date, will be developed and published by BioWare and LucasArts, and will push the boundaries of the gaming market by utilizing the strengths of both companies to deliver an innovative, high-quality experience.

“LucasArts has a deep commitment to developing compelling stories and characters for the unique medium of interactive entertainment, and we have been searching for a developer that shares this value. We found this in BioWare,” said Jim Ward, president of LucasArts. “Through our previous collaborations, we know that BioWare has an impressive ability to blend gripping stories with technological advancements, and we believe that our upcoming product will deliver an experience that will span the traditional boundaries of video game entertainment.”

“BioWare’s mission is to deliver the best story and character-driven games in the world, delivering powerful emotional experiences to our fans.” said Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer, BioWare Corp. Added Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare Corp., “The collaboration with LucasArts allows us to combine our passion for creating high quality and innovative experiences with those of a company dedicated to bringing only the finest games to market.

Source

Excellent.

awesome, for real
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: October 30, 2007, 06:55:33 AM

Source

Excellent.

awesome, for real

Mr. WindUpAtheist should get some good mileage out of this one...

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: October 30, 2007, 07:06:27 AM

DiCaprio would've been a better Anakin. Not saying much, but Hayden just sucked. The 'romance' scenes were painful to watch, the only fires being sparked there were from the interaction of two pieces of wooden acting, forget the stilted dialogue. I also hate 'green screen' movies, but that's another rant.

Darth Maul? Seriously? He was like the polar opposite of Anakin on planet Suck. Not polar in that he was good, but that Annie (Lil Orphan Annie becomes Vader,  c'mon wtf) was supposed to be a conflicted passionate character and Maul was some fanboi's wet dream. Hayden fucked up the former, but the latter would never have been good. Black and red face paint out of mushroomhead (should've went with slipknot), ZOMG spikes, DOUBLE lightsaber, because he's just that kind of total badass utterly meaningless character. Dookoo (sp) wiped the floor with Maul for coolness. Maul was the zomgevil jarjar, a fucking clown and utterly meaningless, a cheesy villian put in to pad the movie with some action scenes (they admitted to padding in the commentary on the DVD, as if it weren't obvious).

Anyway.
Is that Jengo Fett instead of Boba Fett?
schild
Administrator

Reply #523 on: October 30, 2007, 07:09:00 AM

Wait, Lucasarts and Bioware went into an agreement? How can that be.

I thought for sure I'd be wrong.

Ohhhhh, I see.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #524 on: October 30, 2007, 07:13:56 AM

KOTOR3 better not be a mmo. Oh they'd better not make it a mmo. If they make it a mmo....  Shaking fist

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bioware Austin.. damm more Dragons.. or Lightsabers?  
Jump to: