Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:17:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bioware Austin.. damm more Dragons.. or Lightsabers? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bioware Austin.. damm more Dragons.. or Lightsabers?  (Read 347218 times)
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: October 26, 2007, 10:22:57 AM

The only positive to take out of an announcement of a KOTOR-based Star Wars game is that the designers don't have to ass around with huge continuity problems, they don't have to worry about making Jedi rare and they don't have to use any known characters at all.

That and the fact that the use of "KOTOR" gives us some hope that they will try to make a game that appeals to KOTOR fans (i.e. they won't consciously attempt to make "Shadowbane in Space" or "UO In Space").

WoW with Star Wars skins would be more than OK with me.  Current-Bioware's-half-assed-version-of-WoW with Star Wars skins would be good enough for at least a whirl, possibly longer depending on how half-assed it is.

KOTOR would seem to lend itself well to WoW-style quest-oriented diku gameplay.  The game was ding-grats-lewt with some story.  A decent story for a video game, but hardly video Hamlet.  And, hell, the story of KOTOR II makes the story behind any generic lowbie "collect_[number] of [insert local animal]'s [skins/meats/fangs] so I can make [blankets/food/spears] for our local [children/elders/warriors]" quest look, if not like Hamlet, at least like a decent Law & Order episode.  And people still played that, proving to me that (ding-grats-loot) + ("vroom vroom" lightsaber sounds) + (hot jedi lovemommas) = winning game.

Bioware can provide the first two elements, and horny 45-year-old shut-ins will more than take care of the third, assuming the availabilty of appropriate character models.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #456 on: October 26, 2007, 10:26:12 AM

Whether it was Hamlet or not, it was still a story.

Something which isn't going to happen in nearly the same way in an online game.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #457 on: October 26, 2007, 12:00:59 PM

Whether it was Hamlet or not, it was still a story.

Something which isn't going to happen in nearly the same way in an online game.

Not in the same way no, but FFXI and LotRO have both shown that you can have a story in an MMO.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #458 on: October 26, 2007, 12:16:59 PM

Pics of the hot jedi lovemommas?  I'm curious how sad that is.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Afropuff
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: October 26, 2007, 02:01:49 PM

Well if they are doing a Star Wars MMO, they can WoWize it if they want, but they better not fucking stylize the artwork and avatars.  I do not want my toon looking like that Cartoon Network series.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #460 on: October 26, 2007, 02:09:58 PM

Well if they are doing a Star Wars MMO, they can WoWize it if they want, but they better not fucking stylize the artwork and avatars.  I do not want my toon looking like that Cartoon Network series.

Ok, Ill agree with that - we do not want Samurai Jack-Jedis.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #461 on: October 26, 2007, 02:13:02 PM

I do.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: October 26, 2007, 02:20:24 PM

Game should be based on star wars sock puppets.

Nobody has tried that yet.

Lack of sock puppet avatars is what killed S** imo.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: October 26, 2007, 02:30:06 PM

I was looking for a pic to fullfill your request and I came across this index.

NSFW

Ummm... I guess you just have to see it for yourself.

If this game really is going forward, BioWare is probably going to want to set themselves as far apart from SWG as possible, so i wouldn't be surprised if the graphics lean towards an updated version of what WoW has. As long as the game is fun to play, I'd be cool with it. Also, the character models for the new animated series around the corner are are pretty slick.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #464 on: October 26, 2007, 02:55:01 PM

NSFW

Yeah, the scary part is how much time that took to make all those. Why is regular old pr0n not good enough anymore?

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: October 26, 2007, 03:24:48 PM

NSFW

Holy crap, somewhere out there in the heartland, some poor company is waiting for their logo and wondering just why the graphic designer they hired for a few hundred dollars is taking so damn long...

I may not know art, but that is a directory of shit.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #466 on: October 26, 2007, 03:31:18 PM

Ok, Ill agree with that - we do not want Samurai Jack-Jedis.

Nope.  I could live with a Lego Star Wars MMO though.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #467 on: October 26, 2007, 03:36:14 PM

I frothed for SWG at one point as well, but I had the sense to stay away from that shitpile once I saw what it was really like.  SO LEMME ALONE, THIS IS THE ONE POINT IN ITS DEVELOPMENT WHERE I CAN PRETEND THE GAME IS PERFECT!

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: October 26, 2007, 04:01:13 PM

To all the optimists saying the makers of KOTOR couldn't possibly screw up an MMO version of it, I humbly submit Maxis and their brilliant conversion of The Sims into TSO.  Single player goodness based on either story or flexibility does NOT generally translate well into MMO-land.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #469 on: October 26, 2007, 04:02:32 PM

To all the optimists saying the makers of KOTOR couldn't possibly screw up an MMO version of it

Be honest... nobody actually said that did they?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #470 on: October 26, 2007, 04:35:27 PM

NSFW

Holy crap, somewhere out there in the heartland, some poor company is waiting for their logo and wondering just why the graphic designer they hired for a few hundred dollars is taking so damn long...

I may not know art, but that is a directory of shit.

I still don't know what a Bothanese is, but I really really never want to meet one...

On a related note, cgi pr0n still very gross and shitty looking it seems.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #471 on: October 26, 2007, 07:13:49 PM

To all the optimists saying the makers of KOTOR couldn't possibly screw up an MMO version of it, I humbly submit Maxis and their brilliant conversion of The Sims into TSO.  Single player goodness based on either story or flexibility does NOT generally translate well into MMO-land.
And oddly enough Gordon Walton was the executive producer on TSO.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #472 on: October 27, 2007, 06:25:15 AM

You know, once upon I time I was a SWG fanboy.  Back before anyone actually knew anything about the game.  By the time beta rolled around I had already pretty much written it off.  And yet, here we are again.  With that in mind, I present the...

To be updated once the game is officially announced, and the inevitable process of reality crushing my fond hopes begins.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: October 27, 2007, 10:00:51 AM

I would have placed Amidala higher- especially after seeing her nekkid in that new movie.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #474 on: October 27, 2007, 12:17:54 PM

NSFW

The Twi'lek pics are hawt.

^ no that was not meant to be green.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: October 27, 2007, 12:23:12 PM

You know, once upon I time I was a SWG fanboy.  Back before anyone actually knew anything about the game.  By the time beta rolled around I had already pretty much written it off.  And yet, here we are again.  With that in mind, I present the...

To be updated once the game is officially announced, and the inevitable process of reality crushing my fond hopes begins.

Why is Hayden Christiansen on there?   shocked

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #476 on: October 27, 2007, 01:15:07 PM

It's WUA.. he's not well.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: October 27, 2007, 02:36:41 PM

Why is Hayden Christiansen on there?   shocked

More to the point, why is he only one step down from OT Vader?

To maintain a linear scale, it would need to go something like Vader, Han Solo, OT Obi, Yoda, R2-D2, PQ Obi, THEN maybe Haden Chrisitiansen.

Your current scale goes....

Winful
Awesome
A bit Rubbish
Crap
Embarrassing
S**

...you're just not taking this thread seriously enough.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #478 on: October 27, 2007, 02:58:48 PM

No you guys don't understand what Merusk was alluding to, WUA honestly liked the prequels.  He thought they were great, that's why his scale looks so screwed up to the rest of us.  I am not being sarcastic.  Don't try and drag him into an argument over it either, he has apparently spent a great deal of time over at a forum entirely dedicated to Star Wars defending his controversial ideas.  Just, just let it die...
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #479 on: October 27, 2007, 03:26:07 PM

It's only a six point scale.  It goes...

Shaft Windu = Epic win.  Flawless victory.  Robot Jesus.
Vader = Pretty awesome.  Lots of people should play it.
Anakin = Well it's not all bad.  Fanboys will play it.
Padme = Weaksauce.  I might play it for the free month, just because.

Binks = Pile of shit.  Even I'm not playing it.
SWG = Total trainwreck.  Hundred-page thread incoming.

And to make this more clear, I present version 2.0!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 04:15:25 PM by WindupAtheist »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: October 27, 2007, 04:30:22 PM

Surely...

Shaft Windu = Epic win.  Flawless victory.  Robot Jesus. Hundred-page thread incoming.
Vader = Pretty awesome.  Lots of people should play it. Hundred-page thread incoming.
Anakin = Well it's not all bad.  Fanboys will play it. Hundred-page thread incoming.
Padme = Weaksauce.  I might play it for the free month, just because. Hundred-page thread incoming.

Binks = Pile of shit.  Even I'm not playing it. Hundred-page thread incoming.
S** = Total trainwreck.  Hundred-page thread incoming.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: October 27, 2007, 04:41:09 PM

Could someone tell me what that gambling card game was in KOTOR? I tried googling it and I'm not getting any hits which actually name the game. Paszak? Pazack? I'd like to be able to play it if the MMO ever gets made.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Drogo
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: October 27, 2007, 04:52:00 PM

Could someone tell me what that gambling card game was in KOTOR? I tried googling it and I'm not getting any hits which actually name the game. Paszak? Pazack? I'd like to be able to play it if the MMO ever gets made.

Pazaak, I believe is the name of it.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: October 27, 2007, 05:32:43 PM

Sabbacc?
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: October 27, 2007, 05:51:52 PM

Pazaak is the one I was looking for. I had been trying to figure out the name for a little while. Thanks.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: October 27, 2007, 06:22:03 PM

Everyone knows Jar Jar made the prequels great. It's just that no one's willing to admit their love for the Binks.

It's like when you jerked off another guy at camp. You enjoyed it, but you'll never admit it...

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: October 27, 2007, 11:34:25 PM

I would have placed Amidala higher- especially after seeing her nekkid in that new movie.  Ohhhhh, I see.

WHAT MOVIE
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #487 on: October 28, 2007, 12:12:56 AM

Google It
Dash
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: October 28, 2007, 07:32:13 AM

Bioware's name on the game DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL BE GOOD. Especially considering, as has been pointed out, it's Bioware Austin and not the guys responsible for KOTOR in the first place. It's a bunch of guys responsible for failed (in game design terms) MMOG's.

People keep saying this as if it's common knowledge.  Is this one of those things that got said once somewhere and people just accepted it or am I ignorant about something.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155486

Games for Windows: The Official Magazine: How long has your new MMORPG been in development?

Gordon Walton, co-studio director, BioWare Austin: We announced the game around March, but we'd really started on it in the beginning of December 2005.

James Ohlen, creative director, BioWare Austin: We've got a lot designed -- we've got the GDD [game design document] done, we've finished more than three quarters of the detail design documents. We've got a couple prototypes up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ohlen

James Ohlen has worked with Bioware since its early beginnings. Initially a minor writer and tester for Shattered Steel, his role in Bioware was brought to a new level in Baldur's Gate where he served as lead designer. Since then Ohlen has played a major role as lead designer for such games as Knights of the Old Republic and Baldur's Gate II. He is considered one of the most important game designers at Bioware today. Right now he is working as lead designer of Bioware's new MMORPG.[1]

Now. Where am I going wrong?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #489 on: October 28, 2007, 09:02:22 AM

This thread has turned into greasy grimey gopher guts. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bioware Austin.. damm more Dragons.. or Lightsabers?  
Jump to: