Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 12:50:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Using a proxy to play games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Using a proxy to play games  (Read 1686 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

on: September 14, 2007, 07:27:11 AM

My classes this semester are abysmal. The only problem is that I can't play LOTRO or a few other online games. I've been told there's a way to use Sockscap and HTTPort to get around my schools port blocking madness. The worst part is if you go into our IT department you'll find any one of our tech people playing WoW. So they can play, but we can't. Any help would be awesome since I've googled everything I can think of and can't come up with a guide.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:58:55 AM

They're probably SSH tunneling if you have port 22 open, that is how I'm browsing the site now! (Work caught on I visit and blocked it)

Try this website: http://souptonuts.sourceforge.net/sshtips.htm

Or this search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=xks&q=ssh+tunneling+putty&btnG=Search

You'll have to download Putty to use the methods described in the previous URLs.

Edit: Oh, and you'll also have to know what ports your MMO of choice needs to use.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 07:18:11 PM

I finally got my WRT-54GL router and flashed it with the DD-WRT firmware. Anyone know if you can setup a proxy easily with the firmware? I can't find any info on it. My google-fu is slipping.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 06:31:35 AM

A fun trick if you control a server somewhere is to run sshd on port 443 (https).  Many places will filter everything but 80 and 443, but they often put invasive transparent proxies on 80 that interfere with stuff.  You can't proxy https and have it "just work" so most people won't bother even trying.

- Q
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 10:19:49 AM

I do not run a server somewhere :(

Does anyone know if this will work if I want to get steam running over a proxy?
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 10:31:34 AM

The whole point of running DD-WRT is so you can run that SSH Daemon on it.  The tricky part is according to the internets you need these ports forwarded:

UDP 1200 (used for friends service)
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
TCP 27020 to 27039 inclusive

The problem I would think is port forwarding those UDP ports, I'm not really sure if Putty can do that (every page I saw in my quick google search shows people doing it through linux command line).

Then we reach the point to where you are trying to game through an SSH tunnel to a router on your home network, hopefully those pings aren't too high.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 10:43:42 AM

I know DD-WRT has a built in command line, any links with an easy to do tutorial for this?
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 11:11:55 AM

I know DD-WRT has a built in command line, any links with an easy to do tutorial for this?

You're missing the point.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 11:19:22 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Using a proxy to play games  
Jump to: