Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 10:22:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Websites putting a fuckton of WOTLK articles up. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Websites putting a fuckton of WOTLK articles up.  (Read 36207 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #105 on: May 23, 2008, 07:19:38 AM

Well, except for the fact that the 1st and 2nd bosses are essentially carbon copies of fights you've already seen. The first boss is almost identical the last boss of Steamvaults, and the 2nd boss is a smaller version of the Curator.

But yes, the mid-point trash is god awful. I wish they would stop doing that kind of thing.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #106 on: May 23, 2008, 07:57:30 AM

I hope they give pallies, specifically ret pallies... well... not more power, exactly.  Just a reason for people to take them in groups.  And maybe a more fun combat system in general.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #107 on: May 23, 2008, 09:11:29 AM

Short a complete revamp of that class, it won't happen dude. People have been asking for combat skills forever -- but seals are what you're about.

Just spec Prot and AoE lots of shit -- and not die.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #108 on: May 23, 2008, 10:37:35 AM

Hey, ret pallies are great when they get some good equipment. It's just that 90% of the relevant blues for them drop in heroics, which is retarded.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #109 on: May 23, 2008, 11:41:43 AM

Ret pallies have a very good reason to be taken along in large groups.  3% crit for everyone in the raid plus whatever other judgements you want on a boss is a big deal.  They just lack reason to exsist in a 5-man environment.

This is the case for all DPS that doesn't have a reliable in-combat CC method, however, which is why you see LFG for Mages/ Locks before Hunter/ Rogue and never for OOMkin/ Ret Pally.   Yes, it's fucked up. No, they're not going to change it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #110 on: May 23, 2008, 12:01:14 PM

The major problem with Ret pallies beside what Merusk stated above, which is 100% true (they SUCK in 5 mans) is that they are so hard to gear. Not only do they need very strange stats, they need a a lot of them.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: May 23, 2008, 01:34:10 PM

Well, except for the fact that the 1st and 2nd bosses are essentially carbon copies of fights you've already seen. The first boss is almost identical the last boss of Steamvaults, and the 2nd boss is a smaller version of the Curator.

But yes, the mid-point trash is god awful. I wish they would stop doing that kind of thing.

That's what makes the 2nd boss awesome! Believe it or not, there are still BUCKETS of players that have never even seen Curator so having a mini-Curator lets them get a general feel for the fight. It's also different enough that it isn't REALLY Curator, and the fight can be approached multiple ways depending on who/what you have in group that night. I can't hate on the 2nd boss, it's probably one of my favorite 5 man fights.

The first boss is indeed a near carbon copy of the end dude from SV, but it's the entry boss to the zone. "Your group must have X level of ability to pass" boss test. Probably the only issue with him is that if your DPS is good, you can just ignore the crystal tanks entirely and burn him down.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Really, what we need is a 5 man boss that uses FlameWreath  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Gobbeldygook
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: May 23, 2008, 02:40:51 PM

The first is not a carbon copy of the 3rd steamvaults boss.  The Steamvaults enrage is a hard enrage; if you don't outgear the content to a fairly dramatic degree, he destroys your tank in seconds.  This boss is superficially similar and whether you want to bother destroying the crystals depends not on your DPS, but your healer.  It's kinda rough for a paladin, but 100% healable.  Priests, druids, and shaman just laugh at the aoe.  So my guild just doesn't bother switching.

The third boss looks like curator, but the actual strat you need to use to complete it is completely different.  Back in the day and for any guild that is progressing naturally through Kara, Curator was a straight DPS check.  Do you have enough DPS to down the flares in time, y/n?  The third boss is a pure control fight.  If you try to be a balla and just DPS through it, he'll eat a group in full tier 6.  Depending on your class spread it can be easy or hard.  It's significantly easier if you bring mages, rogues, or warlocks, but remains doable even if you don't bring any of those.  Take him down 15%, stop, wait for the debuff to drop, keep going.
  This is the case for all DPS that doesn't have a reliable in-combat CC method, however, which is why you see LFG for Mages/ Locks before Hunter/ Rogue and never for OOMkin/ Ret Pally.   Yes, it's fucked up. No, they're not going to change it.
As long as I have enough CC to control the pull (ie get it down to 4-5 mobs up at once, which frequently means "no cc necessary" if the pulls are small enough or feature squishy casters), it doesn't matter what the rest of the DPS is.  Boomkin have strong synergy with mages and ele sham, they bring cyclone, and are one of 2.5 hybrids that can off-heal if the healer dies or whatever, so I'm happy to bring them along in 5 mans.  The real reason ret pallies have such a bad name is that they really, really need windfury to be relevant.  It's unfortunate, but them's the breaks.  Hopefully they'll get a good weapon imbue in WOTLK.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: May 23, 2008, 04:39:39 PM

The major problem with Ret pallies beside what Merusk stated above, which is 100% true (they SUCK in 5 mans) is that they are so hard to gear. Not only do they need very strange stats, they need a a lot of them.
+STR is a strange stat?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: May 23, 2008, 08:09:11 PM

They pretty much need DPS warrior gear.  Not so strange anymore.  Well Horde ret paladins at least, the days of + spell dmg are over.

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Websites putting a fuckton of WOTLK articles up.  
Jump to: