Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:03:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Witching Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Witching Night  (Read 42380 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 07:00:31 AM

From what i read, all that loot above drops from the PQ's, ORvR, Keep lords, ghosts, and "Witches".

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: October 29, 2008, 08:34:38 AM

- the PQ pops; calls go out across the zones; players crash the zone to take part - let's hope WAR's technical issues when large groups of players gather has been overstated

It has not been overstated at all. We had a decent sized warband trying to take keeps last night, and frankly, the minute Destro showed up, the keep taking was all over. FPS dropped, and of course, it takes all of about 2-3 people playing defense to totally fuck up a keep take.

tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #37 on: October 29, 2008, 08:47:38 AM

To be fair, the order guys running the raid were total clownshoes.  Taking a keep needs coordination without a zerg.  You don't beat down the doors, hundle up in the middle of the stairs and go "So guys whats the plan?" with destro breathing down your neck.  We deserved to lose and we did.

"Me am play gods"
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 29, 2008, 09:42:18 AM

Rumor has it that first stage of quest is to kill 100 players.

Give Mythic credit for trying, I'm going to be playing around this thing tonight.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 09:44:25 AM

To be fair, the order guys running the raid were total clownshoes.  Taking a keep needs coordination without a zerg.  You don't beat down the doors, hundle up in the middle of the stairs and go "So guys whats the plan?" with destro breathing down your neck.  We deserved to lose and we did.

Oh no doubt. I was sitting on the stairs watching some idiots trying to pull the Hero room down on the stairs, then watching as the Destro players kept coming up the stairs to pick us off a few at a time thinking "Why are we still sitting here pulling our puds?"

Ashmodai
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 29, 2008, 10:18:43 AM

I'm quite surprised that noone mentioned the fact that they seem to have dumped the PQs for these events in a Destruction-locked zone (Caledor), smack in the middle of 2 Destruction-locked BOs, with a couple of Destruction-locked keeps nearby. 

It's just inconceivable that they could possibly be so stupid as to not place it in the contested middle zone (Dragonwake), which would make sense, y'know, rather than smack in the middle of one side's territory.. well, maybe not that inconceivable, given their history.

As it is, Destruction players are on their home turf, with friendly keeps, heros and champs around the corner all the time to retreat to if the going gets tough, and Order are in enemy territory, having to dodge said mobs - which is fair, because Order has the huge zerg force to overpower the underpopulated Destr...oh wait, no, fail again.

Heh, they can't even do a live event properly.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 10:25:53 AM by Ashmodai »
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008, 10:36:13 AM

Well, this event is officially fucking gay, as well as unfair to some.

Been doing it on 2 different servers, one as order one as destruction. In both cases the process was exactly the same. One side has 1/4 the numbers the other side does, lag is so bad the smaller side can't kill anyone before they get slaughters due to sheer firepower from ranged classes, they get pushed back to their warcamp, then get camped, and the smaller side eventually says "This is fucking pointless and unfun, fix the fucking lag." and then goes off to quest or queue.

Really, the fix for open RvR is to take it out of the fucking game at this point until T4.

Also, fuck whoever took that mask I want and attached it to this baby-killing clusterfuck.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 29, 2008, 10:38:51 AM

One side has 1/4 the numbers the other side does

So do you prefer scenarios where the sides are equal?  Seriously, here's the zerg vs scenario crap again, which one is it?  How would you balance the population without locking out one side somehow?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 29, 2008, 10:42:51 AM

Well, this event is officially fucking gay, as well as unfair to some.

Been doing it on 2 different servers, one as order one as destruction. In both cases the process was exactly the same. One side has 1/4 the numbers the other side does, lag is so bad the smaller side can't kill anyone before they get slaughters due to sheer firepower from ranged classes, they get pushed back to their warcamp, then get camped, and the smaller side eventually says "This is fucking pointless and unfun, fix the fucking lag." and then goes off to quest or queue.

Really, the fix for open RvR is to take it out of the fucking game at this point until T4.

Also, fuck whoever took that mask I want and attached it to this baby-killing clusterfuck.

Lag or performance?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Ashmodai
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 29, 2008, 10:46:56 AM

So do you prefer scenarios where the sides are equal?  Seriously, here's the zerg vs scenario crap again, which one is it?  How would you balance the population without locking out one side somehow?

How about not putting the PQ smack in the fucking middle of the enemy land's zerg?

I mean, I could almost understand them sticking it in Reikland.. but no, even that would be unfair to Destruction, zerg or no.. but CALEDOR?  In the enemy homeland, where they not only get population advantages but home territory advantages (unattackable NPC heros and champs all over to retreat behind or pull people to) as well?   I'd really like to know who at Mythic came up with that idea.

EDIT:  This is only a problem in T4.  T1-3, the event takes place in Contested areas, unfortunately for the players in T4, the PQs are placed right in the heart of the Destro zerg.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:18:05 AM by Ashmodai »
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 29, 2008, 11:09:02 AM

::ack::

The lag is terrible.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #46 on: October 29, 2008, 11:14:39 AM

Scenarios all the way. The game would be much better off with absolutely no Open RvR until level cap. So many of the issues of this game stem from sub-40 oRvR and trying to force people to do it. It was an good idea, but at this point it's inarguable that the reality of it is unwowrkable. Seriously, it's like Mythic took everything they learned through mistakes with DAoC and decided that the problem was they just didn't force the concept on players hamfistedly enough.

Also, double super-fuck whoever planned this shit. The area that spawn the fucking ghosts and stuff for T2 is within shooting distance of Felde. What the fucking fuck?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ashmodai
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 29, 2008, 11:20:01 AM

Scenarios all the way. The game would be much better off with absolutely no Open RvR until level cap. So many of the issues of this game stem from sub-40 oRvR and trying to force people to do it. It was an good idea, but at this point it's inarguable that the reality of it is unwowrkable. Seriously, it's like Mythic took everything they learned through mistakes with DAoC and decided that the problem was they just didn't force the concept on players hamfistedly enough.

Sub-T4 Open RvR is the only Open RvR that's currently fun.  It sure isn't fun at 40, it's a clusterfuck of a mess, so I would disagree with not being able to do the fun stuff during the only times where it's actually fun.  My alts have a blast doing RvR in Saphery, Avelorn, etc.
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 29, 2008, 11:33:37 AM

So there you have it.

Scenarios all the way or Open RvR all the way is why the game is broken.  :)   Easy job Mythic has.
runagate
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 29, 2008, 11:34:36 AM

Witching night (morning?) has been brilliant on Wolfenburg thusfar.  Order put together half a warband, headed out to the objective and proceeded to beat superior Destro numbers for a few hours.  If they'd've had mini PvP PQs scattered in ever RvR lake the game would have loads more people still playing after the free month - this sort of thing is a lot of fun.

If every objective or keep were a PQ similar to this event PQ, I'm sure more folks would fight in the lakes, rather than in scenarios.  Also, 6 purple bags 1 gold bag are dropping per win...why the FUCK don't Keep Lords drop that loot?

Bloodletter Mask:

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:48:14 AM by runagate »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #50 on: October 29, 2008, 02:17:32 PM

Where is the RVR PQ for this in t3? Anyone know?

runagate
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 29, 2008, 02:29:58 PM

Where is the RVR PQ for this in t3? Anyone know?

T3, West of the warcamps in Black Fire Pass just before the Brewery objective.

All three tiers are the same PQ.  Kill 100 enemy players then kill a ++Hero wight.  The wight is extremely weak for a hero mob.

T4, Caledor, between two objectives, south of the Destro warcamp, Northeast of the Order warcamp.
T2, Troll country, near the Destro warcamp.
T1, Chrace outside of warcamps, large flagged area.

Note all Objectives and Keeps are flagged for their own PQs so kills outside of the flagged Witching Night PQs don't count toward the total.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:33:26 PM by runagate »
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 29, 2008, 02:32:48 PM

Anyone know the actual respawn time of the PQ's now that they are live ? Did they actually make them "hours" ?

As in if I get online at 7, and see it ended recently there's no chance of trying it out that night  , or is maybe something more reasonable like one hour (which I still dont see the point of)

runagate
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 29, 2008, 02:35:04 PM

They respawn in 1 minute 30 seconds.  We took 6 straight wins before I logged out, it moves very quickly.

Also, there's a fantastic way to grief the side that wins the PQ by doing a final rush as their chest drops.  As long as they're in combat they're unable to loot the chest.  We had Destro attempt this on the completion that I won a gold bag, fortunately we beat them back and I managed to loot the bag with scant seconds to spare.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 29, 2008, 02:41:54 PM

They respawn in 1 minute 30 seconds.  We took 6 straight wins before I logged out, it moves very quickly.

Here's to hoping they actually listened then, and that it's not a bug they're going to fix in an hour or two.
runagate
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 29, 2008, 02:43:17 PM

Here's to hoping they actually listened then, and that it's not a bug they're going to fix in an hour or two.

Since when have they fixed any bug in a timely fashoin? Hell, I hope it's a bug, that means it'll last a helluva lot longer.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #56 on: October 29, 2008, 02:44:38 PM

I was in keep defense where Destro was able pull the keep lord to the first floor and kill him. Boo!  But we were able to hold the lord room long enough after that they couldn't loot their bags before the reset.  Yay!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:51:27 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 29, 2008, 02:47:56 PM

Either they listened to the concerns about a timer doing nothing but keeping people from having fun in it while it lasts , or they slipped up and put it in extremely bugged

Bets ?

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 29, 2008, 02:59:41 PM

Either they listened to the concerns about a timer doing nothing but keeping people from having fun in it while it lasts , or they slipped up and put it in extremely bugged

Bets ?

Normally, I'd bet on bugged, but in this specific case, I saw Andy_Mythic actively browsing this thread yesterday, so there's still some hope.  They also stealth changed how long the event was going to last somewhere in the last 24 hours.  It was originally going to run through Sunday, now it's through Wednesday, unless I'm remembering incorrectly
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:01:15 PM by Ard »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #59 on: October 29, 2008, 03:00:13 PM

I'm sure it's a bug.

khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 29, 2008, 03:07:39 PM

No I remember reading somewhere it was running through Sunday also , if it now says Wed that changed also

squirrel
Contributor

Reply #61 on: October 29, 2008, 04:46:07 PM

The lag is terrible.

Yeah the crashes are fun too!

EDIT: Being said, I played my T2 BW in this for about 1/2 hour and it was a hoot. My T3 SM is less effective, but probably because this is the first PvP game I've played a tank in, but if we could have these kind of battles way more it would be good.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 05:13:45 PM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
runagate
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 29, 2008, 05:44:06 PM

The lag is terrible.

EDIT: Being said, I played my T2 BW in this for about 1/2 hour and it was a hoot. My T3 SM is less effective, but probably because this is the first PvP game I've played a tank in, but if we could have these kind of battles way more it would be good.

Are you using a Greatsword or a S&B?  I've got a T4 Swordmaster that I absolutely love playing.  The trick to offensive tanks is stacking Disrupt and Strength so you can shrug off magic and deal substantial damage.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #63 on: October 29, 2008, 07:04:16 PM

The lag is terrible.

Are you using a Greatsword or a S&B?  I've got a T4 Swordmaster that I absolutely love playing.  The trick to offensive tanks is stacking Disrupt and Strength so you can shrug off magic and deal substantial damage.

Sword and Board. I'm fine in small battles/keeps but in 50vs50 RVR it's not very comfortable. OTOH that is precisely where I feel best on my BW.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #64 on: October 29, 2008, 07:35:42 PM

Normally, I'd bet on bugged, but in this specific case, I saw Andy_Mythic actively browsing this thread yesterday, so there's still some hope. 

I hereby accept my title as Honorary Mythic Developer and look forward to this forum becoming the officially unofficial WAR forums.

I've got a wall of text ready that will tell you exactly how to save WAR for when you come back, Jacobs.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #65 on: October 29, 2008, 07:38:45 PM

I'm willing to bet against them taking positive design cues of any sort from here. In fact, history shows that they read the forums at f13 and decide "ohoho, now we know what will really piss them off, let's do that".

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 29, 2008, 07:40:55 PM

OR, they word the herald very badly, and its at least an hour from when the PQ STARTS, not finishes as some believed.. That, and combined with how long it takes to the stages of the PQ (kill 100 players), that no one noticed an hour has passed.

I think many people overreacted because of the wording in the herald.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 29, 2008, 07:42:07 PM

Well what the hell do we know at f13?  We're self-proclaimed elitists, right?  I read it on WHA. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
runagate
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 29, 2008, 07:59:22 PM

Sword and Board. I'm fine in small battles/keeps but in 50vs50 RVR it's not very comfortable. OTOH that is precisely where I feel best on my BW.

Yeah, Sword and Board is definitely the way to go, but we have virtually no place in a keep siege.  Although there is a trick to getting top contribution as a tank.  Make sure you put down both rams or at least man both of them, if you can't; beat on the door the entire time.  The way contribution works toward an objective seems to compare your effectiveness on a single event, and if you only take part in that single event, it thinks you were king badass and gives you extremely high renown.

The past 5 or so keep sieges I've taken part in I've dropped both rams, manned them, haven't even touched the Champ/Hero mob at the top and garnered top contribution.  It's stupid, but it's effective.

The end game keep siege format is absolutely dominated by RDPS, to the point that it's unfun for virtually everyone else.  They really need to implement some meaningful siege weaponry and make keep attack and defense fun, rather than an exercise in futility if either side has a substantial population advantage.

I'm starting to sound like a Mythic apologist and it's making me ill, I need to stop posting.
Zupa
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 29, 2008, 08:10:22 PM

Expect a few hours to pass after a Witching Night Public Quest is completed before you'll be able to try it again.
- herald.

Doesn't leave much room for misunderstanding, but what we are hearing is that this simply isn't the case. 

Perhaps the Herald was wrong?  Perhaps someone politely pointed out that this was yet another pointless cockblock and they ninja fixed it?

It's meant to be "War is Everywhere!", not "Grind, Bitches!".
        - UnSub 25/10/2008
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Witching Night  
Jump to: