Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 10:58:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 625146 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: June 09, 2011, 09:57:44 AM

I don't mind them scaling back some of the stupid skill gains.

I shouldn't have to level 1 or 2 handed swords. I shouldn't have to level 3 different types of armor. It's armor. How exactly does my experience with wearing better armor make it more effective at protecting me?

I'd be more in favor of changing that skill to affect the encumbrances of armor rather than the effectiveness.

Well, in Oblivion, Anything from a claymore to a dagger were under the skill "blade" and Anythinjg else was a blunt, and you just had 2 categories for armour, light and heavy. That was simplified enough for me. If you need things simplified more than that You probably need help getting your clothes on in the morning.

Min maxing is unavoidable. people who Min and Max will find a way to do it no matter what system you craft. Whether its by jumping in place for 17 hours or chasing squirrels, they will find a way. All systems can be min maxed as you are playing a mathematics system on a computer rather than an analog system a la real life. Min maxers live to figure out the algorithms and then bitch to everyone else about how easy the game is.

Hic sunt dracones.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: June 09, 2011, 10:21:31 AM

I shouldn't have to level 1 or 2 handed swords. I shouldn't have to level 3 different types of armor. It's armor. How exactly does my experience with wearing better armor make it more effective at protecting me?

I'd be more in favor of changing that skill to affect the encumbrances of armor rather than the effectiveness.
Making a type of armor lighter as you have experience with it makes more sense?

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #387 on: June 09, 2011, 10:52:02 AM

Min-maxing to the point of becoming a deity is like half the point of this series. Morrowind wasn't about whatever the fuck the story said, it was about becoming uber as fuck and then kicking in Vivec's front door and cockpunching him to death and going "NOW WHO'S THE GOD?!"

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: June 09, 2011, 10:58:32 AM

Maybe for you it was. I was in it for the exploring and when I was so overpowered that the main quest didn't offer any challenge anymore I just quit because it was the worst part of the whole game. I had more than 100 hours of fun till then, so I certainly won't complain about that.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #389 on: June 09, 2011, 11:28:47 AM

Making a type of armor lighter as you have experience with it makes more sense?

Well consider it from the point of view of strapping yourself now into heavy plate and swinging a sword around. I'm guaranteeing that the longer you did it, the more accustomed you'd get to the armor and the lighter it would seem. It's like people training with weight vests and swinging heavier bats.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #390 on: June 09, 2011, 11:31:57 AM

Actually, it would increase your STR, and END or whatever that stat was, as well as you're ability to move under the restrictions of the armor.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: June 09, 2011, 11:32:02 AM

Well consider it from the point of view of strapping yourself now into heavy plate and swinging a sword around. I'm guaranteeing that the longer you did it, the more accustomed you'd get to the armor and the lighter it would seem. It's like people training with weight vests and swinging heavier bats.
I see what you're saying but I would think that would have more to do with a strength stat increasing than skill with a particular armor type.

EDIT: Sky, get out of my hheeeeaaaadddd.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:35:24 AM by MuffinMan »

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #392 on: June 09, 2011, 11:40:18 AM

Well, in Oblivion, Anything from a claymore to a dagger were under the skill "blade" and Anythinjg else was a blunt, and you just had 2 categories for armour, light and heavy. That was simplified enough for me. If you need things simplified more than that You probably need help getting your clothes on in the morning.

Right and that's fine. My point was referencing Morrowind, not Oblivion. There were several skill choices there that made no sense. I do like the skill system for many things, but some just made me go whaaaaaa?

There were 21 skills in Oblivion. Here's the ones I really thought should go:

Athletics - gain points by...running, and then run some more. Grats, now you can run without getting fatigued. While that's real life, it's also stupid that you have to level it by running.
Speechcraft - who didn't hate this one? Anyone? No? Moving on.
Acrobatics - like Athletics, but with bunny-hopping like a crack-addled Counterstrike player
Block - find something to hit you. Put up shield. Get hit repeatedly for about 2 minutes. Heal. Get hit again. Heal. Kill the animal. Rest up. Repeat. Snooze.
Mercantile - buy sell BUY BUY SELL SELL BETTER DEALS!

Flinky
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: June 09, 2011, 12:06:25 PM

To this date they've confirmed 18 skills will be in Skyrim. One definitely getting cut will be the small-child-locked-under-the-stairs of the magic family; Mysticism. I think they realised that when Mark and Recall never made it to Oblivion, they killed any hope of that magic group being accepted by society.

Also Paelos, the Athletics grind was nothing like you describe. Everyone knew you got faster skill gain from SWIMMNG Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Proud member of the Gnome Brigade.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #394 on: June 09, 2011, 12:13:46 PM

It was joyous the day I discovered I could macro practice Stealth and Athletics by wedging down the W key while facing a corner near a sleeping beggar.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #395 on: June 09, 2011, 12:23:58 PM

So that doesn't strike you as something we'd like to get rid of?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: June 09, 2011, 01:47:37 PM

If you played the game normally, you got better at the things you did often. That's cool. Someone gaming the system so they can go 'cockpunch' Vivec doesn't make it any less cool for those who want to play as intended.

Removing it because the cockpunchers don't like it, that's making it less cool to play as intended.

I guess we can agree to disagree, because it's a moot point. Enjoy your shitty action game, while I take five seconds to feel bad about another pc rpg franchise in the toilet. Luckily, europe has my back.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #397 on: June 09, 2011, 01:56:16 PM

So that doesn't strike you as something we'd like to get rid of?

Improve upon != Remove entirely

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: June 09, 2011, 02:10:03 PM

I like the *idea* of skills increasing upon use, but I don't like any implementation I have seen.  I'd rather just kill shit and increase my skills by allotting skill points or something.  At least then I"m not focusing on what exact actions I have to do to get better at a specific skill, and I can more thoroughly just enjoy the game.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: June 09, 2011, 03:27:37 PM

That's fine for combat skills, but doesn't do much for people wanting to run around pickpocketing everyone and their dog or became a fabulously wealthy merchant. You'd have to get bashy XP every time you kill something, sneaky XP every time you acquire something that isn't yours, and poncy XP every time you... make a friend, or something. I don't know if that would be as fun.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #400 on: June 09, 2011, 04:00:38 PM

If you played the game normally, you got better at the things you did often. That's cool. Someone gaming the system so they can go 'cockpunch' Vivec doesn't make it any less cool for those who want to play as intended.

Removing it because the cockpunchers don't like it, that's making it less cool to play as intended.

I guess we can agree to disagree, because it's a moot point. Enjoy your shitty action game, while I take five seconds to feel bad about another pc rpg franchise in the toilet. Luckily, europe has my back.

You sort of just extrapolated that into something else, but fair enough. People will always game the system, and that's fine. I was listing things that you do just by showing up in the game. Everybody moves, everybody sells shit, everybody jumps, and everyone talks to NPCs. You can make a case for block, and I'm ok with that. The rest of it is stuff that's not a "gameplay" decision, it's intentionally cockblocking the game because it's not a negotiable part of playing. I can't NOT run, for example. It's akin to having a "resting" skill or a "shitting" skill.

Everybody poops, dude.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: June 09, 2011, 05:56:33 PM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: June 09, 2011, 06:24:59 PM

Everybody moves, everybody sells shit, everybody jumps, and everyone talks to NPCs. You can make a case for block, and I'm ok with that. The rest of it is stuff that's not a "gameplay" decision, it's intentionally cockblocking the game because it's not a negotiable part of playing. I can't NOT run, for example. It's akin to having a "resting" skill or a "shitting" skill.

Everybody poops, dude.
But not everyone moves quickly for long without fatigue, not everyone has good haggling skills, not everyone is charming. If you work at those, you can improve your skills, modified by your stats.

Everyone upgrades their poop skills to go in the porcelain bowl, dude  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: June 09, 2011, 07:10:58 PM

Am I remembering wrong, or was it possible to run around leveling acrobatics/athletics because "woo ding grats" and then find out you just gimped yourself for the whole game because you've now gone up in level and so have the enemies?

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #404 on: June 09, 2011, 07:12:10 PM

Am I remembering wrong, or was it possible to run around leveling acrobatics/athletics because "woo ding grats" and then find out you just gimped yourself for the whole game because you've now gone up in level and so have the enemies?

Yep.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: June 09, 2011, 07:24:49 PM

Only major skills could level you so you had to be careful you weren't leveling from non-combat skills.

Really if they would have just left out the leveled content and put more thought into how the stat bonuses worked when you level I wouldn't have anything to complain about with the stat/skill/level system in Oblivion.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #406 on: June 09, 2011, 10:47:11 PM

Remove level scaling and suddenly you realize it won't hurt to make a lot of potions to practice alchemy. Really that is my serious complaint about the Oblivion mechanics. You spend all your gold on mixing potions, rewarded with 4-5 level ups in the first city, only to leave town, enter kvatch and encounter daedra forces that kill you in two hits.

Oh, if only you didn't gain 4 levels, you'd be facing a bunch of scamps. Riiight.

This isn't choices or consequences. It's just dumb scaled leveling, even the item rewarded to lowbies are shit quality that aren't even worth wearing.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: June 10, 2011, 12:24:41 AM

Morrowind was four types.  Making you specialize in _____ weapon is somewhat sensible.

But the last point is absolutely fucking correct.  Armour skill as a coefficient of AR is horrendously fucking broken.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: June 10, 2011, 05:23:15 AM

That's fine for combat skills, but doesn't do much for people wanting to run around pickpocketing everyone and their dog or became a fabulously wealthy merchant. You'd have to get bashy XP every time you kill something, sneaky XP every time you acquire something that isn't yours, and poncy XP every time you... make a friend, or something. I don't know if that would be as fun.

The way I see it, the whole game is combat focused, either directly or indirectly.  Last time I played Oblivion and Morrowind, and correct me if I"m wrong as it's been a while, there wasn't these major gameplay mechanics that were dependent on your sneak skill nor where there major gameplay based on haggling.  The whole purpose of these skills is to steal shit (money or equipment) that will give you an edge, or to buy shit for less money so you can get more money in the end.

The game is still focused on combat and exploring, and thus if you do a skill-point distribution system based on leveling you don't have to sneak around all these newbie NPCs and be bored just so you can get high sneak, or grind out 500 potions just to make a specific potion.  You don't have to worry about doing anything but exploring new areas and being active in the gameplay, and by enjoying the game the way you want to you will up your stats the way you want to.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #409 on: June 10, 2011, 10:01:25 AM

Morrowind was just ludicrously exploitable. I mean I became pretty uber in Daggerfall, boosting my stats with lycanthropy and mass-killing guards with my pimped-out custom class, but it took some doing and at least I was killing things. In Morrowind I can become a level 75+ demigod without doing jack shit but learning a couple of spells and training a lot.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #410 on: August 05, 2011, 11:52:54 AM

Skyrim Collector's Edition unveiled (together with the CHEAP pricing :P):

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/08/05/quakecon-2011-skyrim-collectors-edition-announced/

(big image)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:55:02 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #411 on: August 05, 2011, 12:11:09 PM

So you get a cheap cloth map, a book, and a plastic statue for $90.

Gamers are idiots.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: August 05, 2011, 12:14:24 PM

So you get a cheap cloth map, a book, and a plastic statue for $90.

Gamers are idiots.

While I was semi-tempted you already get the cloth map for preordering. The dragon statue looks great but not that great. Sadly, if they threw in some ingame items I'd be more tempted. I'm a whore like that.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #413 on: August 05, 2011, 12:18:23 PM

The accountant in me just can't reconcile the fact that you are paying $90 for something that cost $5 to produce.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: August 05, 2011, 12:22:36 PM

I'll be buying the Steam version in all likelyhood.   I buy the occasional collectors editions, but I try to avoid over 100 bucks for them.  I might consider this for 100.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: August 05, 2011, 12:51:42 PM

The accountant in me just can't reconcile the fact that you are paying $90 for something that cost $5 to produce.

I'd be more bothered by it if that wasn't pretty much the status quo on production prices vs what the consumer is charged.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: August 05, 2011, 01:25:40 PM

I always want to grab CEs just for the art books, but it's not really worth it if you need to pay a £100 premium.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: August 05, 2011, 01:32:58 PM

Random but serious question: Why are DVD cases such piles of shit?

Like CD cases had that centre thing that held CD's and worked like a charm, but all the DVD cases have these bizarre center pieces that never work right and it's always a pain in the ass to remove the DVD without something breaking along the way. I feel like I am diffusing a god damn bomb trying to take my DVD's out of the case these days.

You can see it in the picture, the middle part holding the disc's is all weird and those little indents that look like they are going to help you lift the disc out? They are actually blocked my a small edge built around the disc slot circumference.

Whyyyyyy  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #418 on: August 05, 2011, 02:01:49 PM

The same reason they put tamper proof lids on arthritis medication.

waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: August 13, 2011, 11:01:31 AM

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: