Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 10:55:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 625171 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1960 on: December 04, 2011, 06:44:05 PM

Weight limit isn't really an issue too, it's just that running around with 100 potions = 50 semi-perma weight. +100 armor and weapon. That's like 150 consumed by default.

100 potions? That's way too many!

You can get Conditioning or Unhindered. Though that take a little bit of time to level up. Really the only time you should ever go over the limit is if you kill two dragons at the same time and you're a smith. Or you have OCD.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1961 on: December 04, 2011, 06:48:19 PM

I checked my level 15 guy before, he ran with 48 minor heals , 20 stam pots, 20 medium heals 5 regens, and 20 poisons.
I do use poisons but the healing potions are there because mages usually force me to go through 3-5 bottles per engagements if there's more than one of them. Especially the fucking Hagravens...

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1962 on: December 04, 2011, 06:56:08 PM

Since i play on medium difficulty i refrain from potion use in combat so that things can get a wee bit interesting. It seems to work ok -- the ebony blade i've picked around l.15 does all the healing i need, and that's with the basic, unupgraded hp drain Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1963 on: December 04, 2011, 07:05:01 PM

Because spergy min-maxers are infiltrating the highest levels of our internets. If you're asking the question, you really (really) don't need to worry about it.

Both armor types are good for melee. It's just that weapon + shield users have a bit of an easier time with Light Armor due to the 50% stamina regen bonus while in light armor perk, which you normally need extra +regen gear to get in heavy armor. This helps a lot for doing a lot of shield bashing.

My Heavy Armor character has Restoration along with the "healing spells also restore stamina" perk, so if I get winded, I back off a sec, drop my shield, bring up my +75 health spell, and pop it twice to get a huge chunk of stamina back.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1964 on: December 04, 2011, 07:10:15 PM

Poison sucks.  It's vendor trash.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1965 on: December 04, 2011, 07:22:25 PM

Finished the game so I thought I'd try bringing Lydia out for the first time, my sneaky playstyle didn't favor companions.  I use my fancy storm clouds shout that changes the weather to rain and thunder for the entire zone.  It kills her.  End of experiment.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1966 on: December 04, 2011, 07:33:55 PM

Poison sucks.  It's vendor trash.

At low level they actually double your attack damage on any swing. Think of it as a one shot enchant.
At medium level they can do around 20-25 which is pretty handy if you really want that sneak attack arrow to finish off in one shot.
It's free if you know where to harvest deathbells and skeever tails. Add a pinch of salt for a 30 second slowing effect.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1967 on: December 04, 2011, 07:44:53 PM

Heavy armor owns. I'm Heavy Armor and sword n' board and I'm a walking battle tank. Go deep into the heavy armor tree and make sure you're rocking a full set of the best stuff you can get and you're good.

The thing that's annoying as hell to me is that you really need to focus hard on some areas. I've got a lot of points invested in the heavy armor and block trees along with some in smithing. Alchemy and Enchanting are really powerful and you have ample ingredients for both just thrown at you in gigantic piles even if you don't go out of your way to trap souls or pick flowers...but you can't do anything worth a shit with either skill unless you dump a fuckload of points into their trees.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1968 on: December 04, 2011, 07:54:24 PM

Heavy armor owns. I'm Heavy Armor and sword n' board and I'm a walking battle tank. Go deep into the heavy armor tree and make sure you're rocking a full set of the best stuff you can get and you're good.

The thing that's annoying as hell to me is that you really need to focus hard on some areas. I've got a lot of points invested in the heavy armor and block trees along with some in smithing. Alchemy and Enchanting are really powerful and you have ample ingredients for both just thrown at you in gigantic piles even if you don't go out of your way to trap souls or pick flowers...but you can't do anything worth a shit with either skill unless you dump a fuckload of points into their trees.

I like that you have to focus, being able to make one super character that can do everything is lame. Replays with different perks make the game more fun.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1969 on: December 04, 2011, 08:24:06 PM

Cheater.
But....MUST LOOT DWEMER RUINS.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1970 on: December 04, 2011, 09:06:41 PM

Finding the patchnotes funnier than the game itself.
ok, i take that back. Skyrim, the eternal comedy of tragic errors...
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1971 on: December 04, 2011, 09:59:02 PM

Level 32 and 15 pages of this thread to catch up on.  Fawk.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1972 on: December 04, 2011, 10:21:44 PM

nsfw LOL

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #1973 on: December 04, 2011, 10:28:03 PM

I just saw Lydia disembowel the pilgrim.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1974 on: December 05, 2011, 12:51:20 AM

Finished the Civil War quest and got some classic Bethesda bug action. Apparently we're just going to leave

lying around the throne room forever.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1975 on: December 05, 2011, 12:57:07 AM

Finished the Civil War quest and got some classic Bethesda bug action. Apparently we're just going to leave

lying around the throne room forever.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1976 on: December 05, 2011, 12:59:28 AM

Also, all the deposed jarls from the other side are just sitting around the throne room bitching at me.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1977 on: December 05, 2011, 06:31:40 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1978 on: December 05, 2011, 06:32:01 AM

nsfw LOL

I'm hoping that's a clothing mod and she's performing a crafting animation. If not..  ACK!
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1979 on: December 05, 2011, 06:36:28 AM

Alchemy and Enchanting are really powerful and you have ample ingredients for both just thrown at you in gigantic piles even if you don't go out of your way to trap souls or pick flowers...but you can't do anything worth a shit with either skill unless you dump a fuckload of points into their trees.

What do you consider a fuckload of points?  Enchanting is pretty much done at 5 points (+100% effectiveness) unless you really want double enchant in which case you can get there for 8.  The elemental enchants are nice, if that's what floats your boat, but +25% to an element is hardly required for 'anything worth a shit'.  This is even more true for alchemy, I see no reason to move past the first 5 Alchemist perks.  Really, I'm not entirely convinced I'll get any perks in Alchemy even though I make lots of potions, by the time I have perks I don't know what to do with I doubt if I will be relying on health pots to keep me on my feet.

Could you make a great character that focuses 15 points on vials of goo and 13 on glowy things?  Sure, and I bet it would be fun but if that's not your focus it's not even close to required.

edit: If you also consider that you can enchant +Alchemy gear and Brew + Enchant potions then even with just 5 points in each you can make some really strong equipment/potions.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:54:09 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1980 on: December 05, 2011, 06:59:24 AM

I'm having a blast with my current playthrough. Thought my mage was too easy, so I'm playing a dual weild assassin/alchemist. I use a bow when needed, but have no perks in it, and at level 20 I've not cast a single spell. Also not using any companions - Lydia guards the loot in my house.

Alchemy can get pretty effective if you are willing to drop the perks. Not only can I make fortify Health 35 + Heal 70 potions with common ingredients, I can make Fortify 2H + Resist Cold + Fortify Illusion + Restore Stamina (something like that anyway) potions using up 20 gold in ingredients that sell for over 800.

Had a rather sillymoment on the weekend. Running along, I spot a Cave Bear chasing me along the far side of the river. As I get to a bridge, there are two hunters, which go after the bear. I run up and use my racial Animal Freindship on the bear to see what happens. The bear stops attacking and starts running back down river to where he started, with the second hunter chasing after him. The first hunter had already died.

So I go over to loot the hunter, and after getting his gear I'm overloaded, so I drop a suit of Forsworn armor on the body. I take off down the road. Ten minutes later, I'm picking flowers on the road side, when this hunter comes running towards me. Stops, drops in to conversation, and asks me if I mind if she takes this suit of armor I dropped on her buddy's dead and looted body about three miles down the road.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1981 on: December 05, 2011, 07:20:57 AM

- I used Heavy Armor all the way. Why does it suck exactly, and why is light better, for a melee character?

As a spergy powergamer, the answer is that you can hit the armor cap wearing light armor, even without a shield, if you have smithing.  http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor#Armor_Cap

That being said, heavy armor looks bad ass.  It also makes it easier to hit the AC cap earlier in the game, or without spending as many perks.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:23:55 AM by El Gallo »

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1982 on: December 05, 2011, 07:53:02 AM

I like the way the light dragon armor looks compared to the heavy dragon armor.  Neither of them are great but heavy dragon looks like shit.  Ebony and daedric are of course awesome but both are lower tier.  Didn't know there was a cap though.

As for alchemy once you get into the level 40s "Ultimate" potions start dropping which simply restore all of your health (or magic or stamina), so all the bonuses and perks which make alchemy percentage based stronger are worthless since you can't heal more than your full health.

Edit: That's odd, the link above says daedric armor is stronger than dragon.  I had just assumed dragon was the best since it's at the top of the smith tree.  Oh well, at least with light armor you don't have to search all over for Daedra hearts.  And speaking of daedra hearts you can buy two at a time from an npc in the mages college unless you never buy from him before you are made archmage.  I'm stuck with not being able to buy from him because I didn't know that.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:59:19 AM by Miasma »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1983 on: December 05, 2011, 07:56:34 AM

Why the hell would they put such a low cap on armor?

I keep forgetting to remove my ebony + speech (and other stuff) helm and it didn't seem to matter, guess I know why.

Miasma, Daedric is lower in smithing but higher in effectiveness. Harder to get the daedric hearts, vs the plethora of dragony bits. At level 38, I've had one daedric heart show up, and that I looted from a necromancer's lair or something (my shiny new axe...though I could only swing legendary on it).
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1984 on: December 05, 2011, 08:01:37 AM

Yeah I followed El Gallo's link and found that out, edited my post too.  You can buy two hearts each week from a guy in the mages college if you aren't already archmage.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1985 on: December 05, 2011, 08:05:47 AM

Who knows? :bethesda: (I feel like that should have an icon, but I can't think of any simple picture that adequately captures the unique blend of awesomeness and incompetence that Bethesda stands for).

I kind of think that smithing (and to a slightly lesser extent, enchanting) are just game-breakingly overpowered.  They also essentially remove loot-hunting as a motivation in the game.  I think I would enjoy the game more if I could resist using those skills, but....spergy powergamer.   awesome, for real

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1986 on: December 05, 2011, 09:24:39 AM

I just pretty much make a smith in every game that allows it. Even in TOR I'm planning on making an armorer (and it fits with RP, since I'll be a bounty hunter and mandalorians are a bit into their armor).
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1987 on: December 05, 2011, 09:26:22 AM

Considering that it takes over 100 smithing along with all of the +heavy/light armor perks to get to the cap I don't think it's particularly low.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1988 on: December 05, 2011, 10:29:16 AM

For relatively easy farming of Daedra hearts:
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1989 on: December 05, 2011, 10:58:22 AM

Yeah, I was gonna mention that.  Did that questline and had 7 hearts in my pack.  Wondered what the fuss was about.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1990 on: December 05, 2011, 11:45:05 AM

R.I.P Lydia.... All that is left is an ashpile and some armor. Heartbreak

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:46:57 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1991 on: December 05, 2011, 11:47:14 AM

Yeah, that happens.  Go hire the woman who you get through a fist fight.  She's awesome.  It's like dating in Scotland.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1992 on: December 05, 2011, 11:49:15 AM

You'll get 4ish daedra hearts doing the  daedric quest as well.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #1993 on: December 05, 2011, 12:57:13 PM

Who knows? :bethesda: (I feel like that should have an icon, but I can't think of any simple picture that adequately captures the unique blend of awesomeness and incompetence that Bethesda stands for).

100   Health.
500   Effective Health with max armour.
1000 Effective Health with max armour and perfect blocking.
1667 Effective Health with max armour and perfect blocking with perks applied.

The cap on mitigation is, in fact, ridiculously fucking high.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1994 on: December 05, 2011, 01:30:39 PM

And yet bandit chiefs with two-handed weapons can still three-shot you.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: