Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 08:39:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 625192 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1680 on: November 24, 2011, 11:17:14 PM

According to the Wiki there are 195 locations in Skyrim. I have discovered about 110, and explored about half (?) of those.

Game is a bit huge, eh?
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1681 on: November 24, 2011, 11:47:19 PM

Well, turns out after I searched a house for incrimating evidence (those fields ARE suspisiously fertile) I pressed the wrong button and nicked a Cast Iron Pot (which I promptly put back). Lo and behold, days (and savegames) later I get jumped by a bunch of Thugs who want to kill me in my sleep with a bounty note from the totally heterosexual lifepartner of the houseowner.

Psychic ability aside. Is this a one time thing, or will I be open to a life of crime because the law wants me anyway? Can I make amends or shall I buy a second house to stash all the loot I can aquire now without fear of anything getting worse?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1682 on: November 25, 2011, 01:07:50 AM

I think that will tend to happen if you are seen when stealing things. I've stolen A LOT of stuff, but never been caught, and so never been thugged-at.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1683 on: November 25, 2011, 01:37:53 AM

If you can't do the Thug, then don't nick the Mug.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1684 on: November 25, 2011, 01:39:05 AM

Then I ran into a bug. I was alone in that house when the alleged crime happened.

Still, that healer and warhero tries to get me assassinated for picking up a Pot and setting it down again on the wrong spot. I love this game. Now I have a reason to bathe in the blood of innocents. Screw that Paladin playthrough shit. awesome, for real
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1685 on: November 25, 2011, 01:41:54 AM

I think that will tend to happen if you are seen when stealing things. I've stolen A LOT of stuff, but never been caught, and so never been thugged-at.

Same.

The trick is to be sneaking, even if you're sure no one can see you.

Kill a dude silently while others are sleeping? 1000 bounty.
Do the same, but while sneaking (and hidden) and no worries.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #1686 on: November 25, 2011, 01:47:00 AM

I expect there'll be a No Psychic Guards mod out soon - there have been for most other elder scrolls games.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1687 on: November 25, 2011, 01:47:45 AM

I lifted 12 gold from a chest the other day.  Was irritated when the guard from outside ( Ohhhhh, I see.) somehow got wise to me, came in and busted me.  Since I wanted to keep in the Jarl's good graces, I paid the fine.  Of 5 gold....

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1688 on: November 25, 2011, 01:48:13 AM

My orc stole a lot of stuff and rarely stealthed.  Maybe I just got lucky, but I only ran into one hired thug and he was quickly dispatched so that I could steal even more stuff.  Then I went and killed the person who hired the thug.  Because, you know...orc.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1689 on: November 25, 2011, 01:59:24 AM

I lifted 12 gold from a chest the other day.  Was irritated when the guard from outside ( Ohhhhh, I see.) somehow got wise to me, came in and busted me.  Since I wanted to keep in the Jarl's good graces, I paid the fine.  Of 5 gold....

Next stop, Wall Street.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #1690 on: November 25, 2011, 02:13:34 AM

My orc stole a lot of stuff and rarely stealthed.  Maybe I just got lucky, but I only ran into one hired thug and he was quickly dispatched so that I could steal even more stuff.  Then I went and killed the person who hired the thug.  Because, you know...orc.
I tried to do the same thing when I got my 3 thugs after me, but turns out sebjorn is unkillable. In the end he had 10 arrows sticking out of his face, but he just kept on coming. Ohhhhh, I see.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1691 on: November 25, 2011, 02:54:24 AM

I wish I could have gotten more thugs after me, or Dark Brotherhood assassins on me. I think I leveled too fast (when you get about 5-10 sneak skill per dungeon from sneak kills alone, it tends to rocket you up), so no merchants bother to send them.  embarassed

Also, just got 100 Smithing on my thief/assassin. Two daggers of elven-level quality do 1320 damage per dagger while sneaking. With only Smithing. No enchanting, no +smithing gear or +smithing potions. If I do the dual wielding power attack, I get just shy of 8000 damage if all three hits land.

Yep.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:47:52 AM by koro »
Lun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1692 on: November 25, 2011, 04:46:46 AM

I wish I could have gotten more thugs after me, or Dark Brotherhood assassins on me. I think I leveled too fast (when you get about 5-10 sneak skill per dungeon from sneak kills alone, it tends to rocket you up), so no merchants bother to send them.  embarassed

Same here. Level 34 and still no word from the Dark Brotherhood. Seems like I'll have to go look for them, but that means spoiling the game, which I'm not happy about.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1693 on: November 25, 2011, 05:59:38 AM

How can you tell exactly how much damage you're doing? Is there a damage meter mod out or something? why so serious?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #1694 on: November 25, 2011, 06:27:15 AM

I wish I could have gotten more thugs after me, or Dark Brotherhood assassins on me. I think I leveled too fast (when you get about 5-10 sneak skill per dungeon from sneak kills alone, it tends to rocket you up), so no merchants bother to send them.  embarassed

Same here. Level 34 and still no word from the Dark Brotherhood. Seems like I'll have to go look for them, but that means spoiling the game, which I'm not happy about.

The dark brotherhood don't come to you in this game like previous games. You should hear a rumour about them very early on that points you in the right direction.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1695 on: November 25, 2011, 06:30:07 AM

Then I ran into a bug. I was alone in that house when the alleged crime happened.

Still, that healer and warhero tries to get me assassinated for picking up a Pot and setting it down again on the wrong spot. I love this game. Now I have a reason to bathe in the blood of innocents. Screw that Paladin playthrough shit. awesome, for real
Might be a bug in that you didn't actually steal the pot, but the idea behind the scenario is that someone realized they were robbed, found out who did it and sent someone after you. How they did all that? Who knows. In my first 4 hours of play I had a Dark Brotherhood assassin come after me and later on I had a group of 3 Mercenaries come after me. I hunted down who hired everyone to kill me and it was.. Dorthe.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1696 on: November 25, 2011, 06:30:34 AM

I actually was attacked by a Dark Brotherhood assassin, although that attack had nothing to do with joining their ranks.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1697 on: November 25, 2011, 06:33:16 AM

Is it possible with max enchanting to put 100% fire resist on a companions armor? I was thinking of getting lydia and turning her into my fireball vanguard.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1698 on: November 25, 2011, 06:42:40 AM

Should be doable since you can slap it on boots/shield/amulet and ring. However you can get at least 60% from a single easily-obtained item ingame. You probably don't need to be 100 enchanting to do it, although that would allow you to put fire and frost resist on each piece which would make Lydia pretty much immune to dragons.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1699 on: November 25, 2011, 06:57:57 AM

How can you tell exactly how much damage you're doing? Is there a damage meter mod out or something? why so serious?

In the Weapons section of your inventory menu, it'll tell you your overall weapon damage at the bottom, which takes into account all of your perks and enchanted gear, though I don't think it counts damage enchants on weapons. If you're dual wielding, the listed damage is what you get if you use the normal non-power attack that swings both weapons. That amount will get lowered a tad if you're fighting heavily armored opponents, though.

So my 44 damage dagger has its damage multiplied by 30 (thanks to the Dark Brotherhood gloves) while sneak attacking, for 1320 damage. This is corroborated through use of "getav health" on an enemy before and after hitting them; "getav health" on a corpse you killed will have its health in negative numbers, the magnitude of which will show you how much overkill you did.

Even if I didn't use the Gloves of Cheese, I'd still be doing 1320 damage with the normal dual attack, which is enough to one-shot anything in the game short of some of the dragons (and even then it'd one-shot most of them), and would reduce a Dragon Priest to "oh shit, better book it" health.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1700 on: November 25, 2011, 07:36:55 AM

I've had the assassins, thugs and Thalmor all foolishly attack me in my travels.

I get a chuckle that apparently there's a bug that people will spout some taunt line as I decap them.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1701 on: November 25, 2011, 10:36:40 AM

Recent moment of Lydia's passive aggressiveness: About to run through a Thalmor interrogator, feeling the awesome as he was the last enemy alive in a fortress I've just spent the last 10 minutes slowly slaughtering my way through. He was also a tough lightning bolter that had already caused 3 reloads and I'm super excited it's going to be a dramatic killcam type finish. Lydia thinks otherwise and just as the camera switches to 3rd person Mr. Interrogator catches an arrow through the face and goes pinwheeling away, leaving my character standing there looking really disappointed out as the camera pans round for the duration of the kill animation.

I swear she was smirking.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1702 on: November 25, 2011, 11:12:11 AM

Suspect part of my warm feelings for Lydia is, i keep picturing her in a certain scene
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:21:15 AM by tmp »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1703 on: November 25, 2011, 11:12:44 AM

There seem to be a healthy amount of followers in this game, I hear people talking about lydia but there's at least 10 diff people I can think of off the top of my head all willing to tag along with me.  I'm curious about the people in the mage guild, specifically the alteration style dark elf, a possible good tag along for a melee char?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1704 on: November 25, 2011, 11:13:08 AM

I like the fact that the rivers actually have a current, I actually got dragged over a waterfall while running around the wilderness, thinking I could just merrily skip over.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1705 on: November 25, 2011, 11:35:35 AM

There seem to be a healthy amount of followers in this game, I hear people talking about lydia but there's at least 10 diff people I can think of off the top of my head all willing to tag along with me.  I'm curious about the people in the mage guild, specifically the alteration style dark elf, a possible good tag along for a melee char?

Pretty much any mage is a good companion, with the exception of the Khajiit apprentice at the College who folds like a chair in the WWE any time something looks at him funny.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1706 on: November 25, 2011, 11:56:58 AM

Pretty much any mage is a good companion, with the exception of the Khajiit apprentice at the College who folds like a chair in the WWE any time something looks at him funny.

Holy shit. The mental picture of a Khajit literally folding like a chair made me laugh out loud at work. I need more sleep and to lay off the energy drinks.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1707 on: November 25, 2011, 01:26:30 PM

I've yet to find an enemy I can't kill in one hit with a single dagger stab, including dragons. These days I go for unarmed kills instead. Double fist power attacks with stealth are fun. The critical kill animations when you break someone's back over a table and smash their head into the ground are really satisfying.

Edit: doing the assassinations this way in broad daylight feels a bit badass, especially when you just throw the guards some gold and get free straight away. I have 100s of gems, houses all over the realm, and guards call me 'sir'. Doesn't feelt right to hide in the shadows anymore.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:35:04 PM by lamaros »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1708 on: November 25, 2011, 01:31:53 PM

It's not grabbing me.

I'm worried.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1709 on: November 25, 2011, 02:43:24 PM

My new Lydia moment:  I pick the lock of a door.  In broad daylight.  With the old woman sitting beside the door (I have mad Thief perks) and go in.  I proceed to clean the old broad out and, oops, I'm carrying too much. I turn to Lydia to load her up and she says "You're not supposed to be in here."  Really Lydia?  Really?  After all the evil I've done you draw the line at a little light burglary?

She wouldn't take my stuff.  Psst.  Hey Lids...if I hang you'll hang RIGHT BESIDE ME!
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1710 on: November 25, 2011, 03:02:48 PM

I think I'm about to cave on this... is there any DRM I have to worry about on the store bought version or should I just get it via Steam?
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1711 on: November 25, 2011, 03:16:33 PM

I've yet to find an enemy I can't kill in one hit with a single dagger stab, including dragons. These days I go for unarmed kills instead. Double fist power attacks with stealth are fun. The critical kill animations when you break someone's back over a table and smash their head into the ground are really satisfying.

Edit: doing the assassinations this way in broad daylight feels a bit badass, especially when you just throw the guards some gold and get free straight away. I have 100s of gems, houses all over the realm, and guards call me 'sir'. Doesn't feelt right to hide in the shadows anymore.

They're Skyforge Steel daggers. A few tiers below tip top (they're equivalent to Elven in damage), but only need Steel Smithing to upgrade to Legendary, which makes them more damaging than un-perked but upgraded Daedric daggers. I found a few pieces of +smithing gear in stores and the alchemist in Riften had a +50% smithing potion, so I've since upgraded the daggers to 59 damage. I've since stopped using the Dark Brotherhood gloves, so that I at least have to try to kill some of the harder things.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1712 on: November 25, 2011, 04:31:36 PM

Crafting is actually fun and cool.

Imagine, an Elder Scrolls that actually makes Smithing a worthwhile skill.

I'm amazed.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1713 on: November 25, 2011, 05:02:49 PM

J'raxa. Part-time thief, part-time assassin, part-time chef.

Full-time cat.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1714 on: November 25, 2011, 06:00:51 PM

'Yo, Ice-Vein! Here's the plan bro, you start a distraction, me and the stormcloaks bruddas are gonna climb up a hill and rain down arrows on them!'

No Ralof, go shit in the woods while I solo this crap.

'Ok...just...uh..run back to me when you're in the trouble, ok?'

5 minutes later...

'We're a good team! Go deliver the good news to the king!'

awesome, for real

Along the ride back to the lord. I rode past 3 robbers, 2 wolves, 1 bear, and a necromancer performing some shitty rites in front of an altar. I was yawning and wasn't feeling too excited about taking them on when suddenly the dragon fight music chimes in. That's when I stop. Epic random.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: