Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 02:15:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 625156 times)
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1610 on: November 23, 2011, 07:35:11 AM

I don't like the reports of increasing crashes as the game goes on, makes me worry there is one bugged quest that if I pick it up I'll start getting the same thing, maybe I'll go back to the main questline and finish that before it happens...
Think the more reported crashes is down to the recent .exe update which borked the ability to modify it to become large address aware (without some gymnastics, at least)
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1611 on: November 23, 2011, 07:44:58 AM

Ok, having spent a couple hours last night doing the Thieves Guild side missions, I can firmly say fuck this shit. Abandoning and re-accepting quests over and over again waiting for the RNG to be kind to me is fuckstupid, I hated it with the random guild quests back in EQ2, and I hate it now. I managed to complete the quests for one whole city because it took more time to "get quest-wait for quest to appear in journal-check if it's the right city-nope, abandon-repeat" than to actually complete the stupid fucking quests.

If they wanted to make this shit suck less, there should be a Thieves Guild contact in each of these cities that you talk to for that city's side missions, rather than hope the stars align and you get two quests for the same city that you actually need. Hell, I'd settle for the cities you complete/don't need yet dropping out of the rotation, so that at least the shit would get easier as you grind them. But no, I kept getting Whiterun (the one complete city) from Delvin over and over.  Mob

So how are those missions supposed to work? Are you supposed to just do enough missions for a city and then you get a cleared flag or something?
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1612 on: November 23, 2011, 07:45:40 AM

I don't get the "I give up/mercy/the battle is yours" mechanic either.  At first it shocked me but then I found out they just get back up and attack me.  It doesn't really give you a chance to soultrap either since the people who do it are humanoid and there aren't that many black soul gems.

I've noticed the undead do it as well. I've gotten most of my trapped souls off the undead. Thanks, undead!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1613 on: November 23, 2011, 07:48:53 AM

This just in...

Going into a previously "cleared dungeon"  at higher levels will yield a fully respawned dungeon, items/chests included but all mobs and items now scaled to your new level upon entering.  Made for an interesting time and good way to grab some quick loots.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #1614 on: November 23, 2011, 08:02:45 AM

Going into a previously "cleared dungeon"  at higher levels will yield a fully respawned dungeon, items/chests included but all mobs and items now scaled to your new level upon entering.  Made for an interesting time and good way to grab some quick loots.

I guess the local necromancer saw that the only adventurer in Skyrim had recently raided that dungeon, so he decided to set up shop there himself.

After all, what are the chances that stupid adventurer would come back to the place he already cleared out? A cunning plan, indeed!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1615 on: November 23, 2011, 08:18:09 AM

If all the random thief quests were proper 'thief' style missions instead: with bonuses for doing it wo being seen, killing anyone, stealing x gold, etc, the thieves guild stuff would be awesome. I assume the engine could handle it? Though maybe you'd need to code in a blackjack and knocked out state, as well as some more complicated scripting flags.

Some skills and perks need to be fiddled with a bit too. Crafting higher level stuff should increase your skill more than lower level things. And I have no idea how anyone will ever get to 100 lock picking at the moment, or want to put any points into the perks. Though I haven't played as a caster yet it sounds like there is room for some improvement there too.

If the goal with skills is to have them be around 100 if you use them alot then sneak is about the best. I've got mine to 85 at level 32, without any 'grinding'. One handed and light armor are also ok it seems, judging as i am from a character who one shots everything without being seen.

Skill trainers need to be much cheaper at higher levels too. What's the point of blowing 15000 gold for five skill levels: it won't get you anywhere.

My lockpicking is up to 75, so I finally took the 'more special items in chests' perk. Because... I don't know why. NEED MORE STUFF.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1616 on: November 23, 2011, 09:20:51 AM

Noticed this on Reddit, and thought it was kind of interesting considering the conversation on character looks.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #1617 on: November 23, 2011, 09:45:47 AM

What strikes me most is how same-brownish all the races are here, while Oblivion actually added a bit more difference in color compared to Morrowind.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1618 on: November 23, 2011, 09:53:04 AM

All the male faces look like their have the dirt mesh overlay on them. Even if you set that slider to off.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1619 on: November 23, 2011, 10:35:47 AM

For lockpicking, you gain points from fucking up, so it's not that hard to raise. If you really cared to, you could drag a few hundred lockpicks to a master chest and just purposefully fail it a few hundred times.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1620 on: November 23, 2011, 10:40:13 AM

What strikes me most is how same-brownish all the races are here, while Oblivion actually added a bit more difference in color compared to Morrowind.

In Morrowind I could usually tell races from one another at a glance. In Oblivion I often confused Bosmer for some of the lighter-skinned Altmer. In Skyrim I can't tell a Cyrodiil from a Breton at all, and frequently can't tell a Breton from a Nord.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1621 on: November 23, 2011, 10:42:04 AM

Bretons look like Nords???

That's just insulting.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1622 on: November 23, 2011, 10:45:14 AM

The bulkier Bretons with lighter-colored hair look a lot like most Nords to me.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1623 on: November 23, 2011, 11:32:25 AM

It seems like everyone I know on Steam is playing this to the exclusion of all else.

I'm still waiting on the first patch.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1624 on: November 23, 2011, 11:36:53 AM

Things that don't bother me: humans of races that have been living together for thousands of years not all being ultra-pure easily identifiably never mixed races.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1625 on: November 23, 2011, 11:47:51 AM

It's when the humans start sprouting tails that I'd worry.

I will not google any fanfic about human/elf/argonian/khajiit four ways.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1626 on: November 23, 2011, 01:44:13 PM

For lockpicking, you gain points from fucking up, so it's not that hard to raise. If you really cared to, you could drag a few hundred lockpicks to a master chest and just purposefully fail it a few hundred times.

Sure, nearly everything is easy to level up if you grind though. I meant in normal play.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1627 on: November 23, 2011, 01:52:36 PM

I haven't really seen a need to worry about how high lockpick is, or taking perks in it. Iv'e opened Master Chests with 22 skill. Yes, I snapped about 14 picks doing that, including six after I had narrowed things down to within a pixel or two. Of course there was 30 gold and a mediocre gem in that chest.

Then I found the tower stone! (though it doesn't open Master locks).

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1628 on: November 23, 2011, 02:06:59 PM

The crappy UI finally beat me.  I got so tired of trying to mouse over dialog options that I finally went and bought a 360 controller.  Invariably, the option for trade is buried deep in a dialog tree, always next to whatever option is the longwinded speech. 

I only wish it was smart enough to let me use kyb/mouse for movement and controller for menus.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1629 on: November 23, 2011, 02:48:17 PM

I got tired of trying to mouse over dialogue as well, so I started using WASD and E to select stuff.

Better than spending $40 on a controller, or trying to get my PS2 controller to work with Skyrim.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1630 on: November 23, 2011, 02:52:16 PM

It seems like everyone I know on Steam is playing this to the exclusion of all else.

I'm still waiting on the first patch.

I would be playing it on Steam, but it crashed last night and I can't get it to start again.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1631 on: November 23, 2011, 04:20:31 PM

So how are those missions supposed to work? Are you supposed to just do enough missions for a city and then you get a cleared flag or something?
After doing 5 missions for a city, Delvin will offer you an actual story quest for that city. After you complete it, a vendor will show up in the Thieves Guild hall. You have to do 4 cities (Whiterun, Windhelm, Solitude and Markarth) before you can do the final Riften one; I'm not sure if missions done for Riften before completing the other 4 will count toward the 5 required, or not.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1632 on: November 23, 2011, 04:47:50 PM

Doing a spirit hunter quest, wandering the countryside hunting animals and doing the random dungeon (see post about dwemer ruin). Stumble onto a little bandit camp, take it out quick and start a sweep of the mine below...what's this? A book for the transmute spell? Oh hell yes, and FINALLY :)

Had a bunch of iron, but now I'll transmute it rather than smith it. Time to kill some more bear.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1633 on: November 23, 2011, 05:27:04 PM

Better than spending $40 on a controller, or trying to get my PS2 controller to work with Skyrim.

Best Buy has the wired 360 controller for $29 right now.  I had been meaning to pick one up, now was a great time. 

That said, the controller is 100% the way to go with this game.  It simply feels right, the whole game now.  Took me 10 minutes to get used to the 360 controller (I don't own a 360), but now the game plays like butter. 
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1634 on: November 23, 2011, 05:40:56 PM

Does anyone know what the rules are for raising destruction?  I saw a hint on a loading menu saying you have to have "valid" targets.   I've been resisting power grinding it but it's just not raising as much as it should.   We need a UI mod that let's you display a skill bar on the main screen or something.

A book for the transmute spell? Oh hell yes, and FINALLY :)

I got this too.  How useful is it though?  When I made some jewelry it seemed like the bulk of the value came from the gem.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1635 on: November 23, 2011, 05:42:04 PM

I think 'valid target' means you can't just spam away at a wall, you have to shoot creatures or whatever.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #1636 on: November 23, 2011, 07:37:36 PM

Random orc camp gets me a fetch 2 ingredients quest at level 7; come back at level 30 when i realize I finally have some daedra hearts and a short quest later a legendary daedric 2 handed warhammer is mine.  The absorb stamina on hit makes me almost want to start using 2 handed weapons and spam power attacks.  Plus, it looks freaking cool.
Love there is so much to do to the point where i think i will reserve like 3-4 towns for future characters b/c i've barely touched them.
Its a contetnapalooza.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1637 on: November 23, 2011, 07:53:18 PM

Random orc camp gets me a fetch 2 ingredients quest at level 7; come back at level 30 when i realize I finally have some daedra hearts and a short quest later a legendary daedric 2 handed warhammer is mine.  The absorb stamina on hit makes me almost want to start using 2 handed weapons and spam power attacks.  Plus, it looks freaking cool.
Love there is so much to do to the point where i think i will reserve like 3-4 towns for future characters b/c i've barely touched them.
Its a contetnapalooza.

Spoiler alert! Now there's no surprise to the reward...
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1638 on: November 23, 2011, 08:15:02 PM

I kinda hate the content at 20+, scaled world kinda suck. Really wish they just stick to fixed group and zone spawns or something.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #1639 on: November 23, 2011, 08:16:02 PM

Rewards are random.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1640 on: November 23, 2011, 08:23:08 PM

Regarding the similarity in racial features: the faces are very different in Morrowind (but they're low polygons), in Oblivion they went overboard with HDR glow (I hate it) and a lot of the whiter faces are bioluminiscent due to all the bloom, and in Skyrim what you see is non-glowy skin that reflects ambient light.  Transport all the models to a test room with 100% white light (not candle) and they'll probably be less grimy and more distinguishable.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1641 on: November 23, 2011, 09:29:38 PM

Remember that thing about Lydia's personal quest being to make you miserable?

Well, she takes it deadly serious
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1642 on: November 23, 2011, 09:31:10 PM

Fanfic? This is the Elder Scrolls. I'm pretty sure that fiction is already in a book ingame somewhere.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1643 on: November 23, 2011, 09:33:56 PM

WHAT IS IT ABT LYDIA THAT MAKES HER ATTACK MAMMOTH FOR NO REASON? caps.
I got tired of watching her get her ass kicked or punched to orbit by a giant sheperd while I was riding past a peaceful camp....she disappeared for a few minutes only to appear out of the sudden behind me, appearing nonchalant about the flying thing.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1644 on: November 23, 2011, 11:56:44 PM

Fanfic? This is the Elder Scrolls. I'm pretty sure that fiction is already in a book ingame somewhere.

Make sure not to read the Lusty Argonian Maid...

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: