Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 10:34:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 625171 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1155 on: November 16, 2011, 02:10:49 PM

You'd be surprised how much you start playing on your computer once it's hooked up to a TV or, in my case, to a home theatre system.

Fuck that, I need my batcave.

-Rasix
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1156 on: November 16, 2011, 02:12:49 PM

Bought it.  Impressed with start.  Had a CTD at the very beginning where you have to choose who to go with, but it was fine since it was midnight on a work night.

Someone got any links to UI controls or help?  And no, I'm not trying to be an ass  awesome, for real

EDIT: oh and freaking Steam download I think took only 2hrs?  Wow.  It was screaming fast.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:14:20 PM by Soln »
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1157 on: November 16, 2011, 02:20:50 PM

Hit F to set as favorite in inventory or spell menu. Can only hotkey favorites.

Q to open quick menu, 1-8 to set hotkeys in that menu, or click with the mouse button you want it on.

Same hotkey twice to equip to both hands for spells.

Current statuses/debuffs are under the Magic Menu

Shouts, and where you spend dragon souls to activate them are on the magic menu.

Option in the setup to switch which mouse button does which hand - may or may not feel more natural for you.

Hold down E while pointing at an object to manipulate it in the world.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1158 on: November 16, 2011, 03:00:11 PM

Not sure if it's glitch or a spoiler so spoilered just in case. About dragon lifespan.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1159 on: November 16, 2011, 03:03:17 PM

Playing on the 360 I have no problems with the UI other than I do miss the paper doll, I really can't understand why it wasn't included.

Wait, no paper doll at all ?  Not even a piccie ?

No, as is par for the course for Bethesda games now, you can spend all kinds off effort getting your character to look just right, and then you never see it except occasionally in brief flashes with kill shots and such.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1160 on: November 16, 2011, 03:03:55 PM

Well, okay. I got through the honeymoon phase. I'm happy to say that the general mechanics of Skyrim are wonderfully upgraded, and this game is leagues better than Oblivion for multiple reasons. To the extent that I'm guaranteed to actually finish this one.

However, whoever's consistently in charge of these games still has the same general problems they've always had as designers. They really get married to terrible ideas because they sound good and then stick with it no matter how many opportunities they have to be shown that the initial concept is really shitty and/or frustrating and drag a lot down with it.

This time around, it's the UI and the visual and interface structuring of the game, in particular the perks system! They're all like "see the skill trees should be like the star constellations!" and they latch themselves to the idea wholesale, and in the end the perk system is not designed intelligently around making tree investments relative to their general utility, it's designed around making the tree investments look like a constellation. So it's incredibly shitty to navigate around, and entire chunks of the whole thing are really stupid. Like, for instance, the lockpicking tree has to look like a lockpick! Making an already dubious investment dead-zone completely and utterly retardedly avoidable, because it's such a weird sequence of chaining towards perks that are completely not worth the investment to climb up the tree. You also can't navigate the whole thing worth a shit; it's pretty frustrating. Good job, guys. You made the skill trees look like star constellations, just like you wanted. And ignored everything that was bad about this just to stick with the idea.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1161 on: November 16, 2011, 03:09:28 PM

Playing on the 360 I have no problems with the UI other than I do miss the paper doll, I really can't understand why it wasn't included.

Wait, no paper doll at all ?  Not even a piccie ?

No, as is par for the course for Bethesda games now, you can spend all kinds off effort getting your character to look just right, and then you never see it except occasionally in brief flashes with kill shots and such.

I play it almost full time in 3rd person (which feels a lot better than oblivion btw), so I see my character enough. If you sheath your weapon, it's easy to spin around and view them too.

I'm on the 360 though. Maybe it's easier here?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1162 on: November 16, 2011, 03:11:27 PM

On PC, I can easily go to rotate my camera around my character and see him and even play in 3rd person so I'm not sure what the issue is.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1163 on: November 16, 2011, 03:12:48 PM

On PC, I can easily go to rotate my camera around my character and see him and even play in 3rd person so I'm not sure what the issue is.

What would be easy is hitting "I" and seeing what you are wearing.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1164 on: November 16, 2011, 03:14:08 PM

OK I see.  Also, is anyone playing a dual-wield toon?  I'm interested in how that is.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1165 on: November 16, 2011, 03:28:32 PM

OK I see.  Also, is anyone playing a dual-wield toon?  I'm interested in how that is.

I was tempted to in the beginning. On the controller, it was easy enough (corresponding triggers for each weapon). It would have been my second choice, but I figured I should save the idea if/when I make a more rogue-ish character.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1166 on: November 16, 2011, 03:32:34 PM

It isn't clear to me what the advantage is of having the second weapon - does it swing faster?

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1167 on: November 16, 2011, 03:37:44 PM

You can attack with both weapons so that's in theory twice as much damage, and there's a combined power attack you can trigger holding down the attack keys for both hands, iirc.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1168 on: November 16, 2011, 03:38:26 PM

Ah I don't think it occurred to me to try to swing both of the weapons simultaneously since THAT MAKES NO GODDAMN SENSE. Ahem.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1169 on: November 16, 2011, 03:39:46 PM

You could get two spell effects too (although so far, I'm not sure how much difference that makes. I'm still happy with a vanilla steel sword  awesome, for real).
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1170 on: November 16, 2011, 03:40:19 PM

I dunno if it's possible to do it together, but maybe you can alternate left-right swings for higher combined damage? I only played with it for few minutes and went back to my 2-hander Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1171 on: November 16, 2011, 03:41:22 PM

Also, don't forget that you can dual wield staves or combo with sword and spell in one hand.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1172 on: November 16, 2011, 03:43:58 PM

I dunno if it's possible to do it together, but maybe you can alternate left-right swings for higher combined damage? I only played with it for few minutes and went back to my 2-hander Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Right what I'm wondering is why swinging left-right-left-right would be more damage than just swinging right-right-right-right - unless it lets you get more swings in less time that way, or whatever, was just wondering if the game actually does anything with that.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1173 on: November 16, 2011, 03:45:10 PM

You could get two spell effects too (although so far, I'm not sure how much difference that makes. I'm still happy with a vanilla steel sword  awesome, for real).

Heh, dual-wield lifeleech on swords would probably be a far better defensive benefit compared to wards and shields.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1174 on: November 16, 2011, 04:07:08 PM

Right what I'm wondering is why swinging left-right-left-right would be more damage than just swinging right-right-right-right - unless it lets you get more swings in less time that way, or whatever, was just wondering if the game actually does anything with that.
Yeah i was thinking maybe it'd allow to start the left-swing animation before the right-swing animation would end or something to this effect, but from some quick testing it doesn't really seem to be the case. Aside from the hold-both-buttons special there doesn't appear to be any benefit then, unless the game simply combines the weapon damage, or smth... well, maybe if you have each weapon enchanted with different effect but that's quite situational.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1175 on: November 16, 2011, 04:43:32 PM

I wonder if there are "types" of damage (piercing, slicing, crushing)?

Probably not...

But I did notice with a sword and dagger, for example, that the dagger lunged more. Kind of like a renaissance dueling style. It didn't seem easy for opponents to parry.. I was getting more killshot animations with it.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1176 on: November 16, 2011, 05:41:03 PM

Under the 1H tree are two dual skills: Dual Flurry and Dual Savagery.  DF boosts attack speed and DS stacks with other power attacks boosting  damage.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1177 on: November 16, 2011, 05:57:13 PM

You'd be surprised how much you start playing on your computer once it's hooked up to a TV or, in my case, to a home theatre system.
Ohhhhh, I see.
Not sure if it's glitch or a spoiler so spoilered just in case. About dragon lifespan.
I believe it's a glitch. The skeleton was embedded in the front door to Whiterun one day and stayed there for maybe a game day (boogying around) and then it collapsed out of the air into the courtyard where it stayed for another game day or so, now it's gone.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:00:51 PM by Sky »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1178 on: November 16, 2011, 06:05:31 PM

I've clearly played too much DA2. In addition to recognizing Fenris, the elf Elenwen is the actress who did Meredith.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #1179 on: November 16, 2011, 07:28:48 PM

Yeah, same.

Unpaused so there is some strange looking idle animation motion blur going on.

106", shot taken at about 15 ft from screen. Batcave.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1180 on: November 16, 2011, 07:31:08 PM

Man, the UI....I'm getting this tonight on PC, let's hope mods will fix it.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1181 on: November 16, 2011, 08:19:56 PM

Hit F to set as favorite in inventory or spell menu. Can only hotkey favorites.

Q to open quick menu, 1-8 to set hotkeys in that menu, or click with the mouse button you want it on.

Same hotkey twice to equip to both hands for spells.

Current statuses/debuffs are under the Magic Menu

Shouts, and where you spend dragon souls to activate them are on the magic menu.

Option in the setup to switch which mouse button does which hand - may or may not feel more natural for you.

Hold down E while pointing at an object to manipulate it in the world.

many thanks!

EDIT: how do I exit the take-inventory screen??  And what does "store" do?  Is there a manual?  Im on Steam so will look in a bit.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:28:11 PM by Soln »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1182 on: November 16, 2011, 08:46:51 PM

Tab out of windows. On the loot screen, R puts the selected item into the container. In the inventory screen, R drops it.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1183 on: November 16, 2011, 09:12:15 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.
Don't get too excited. I moved it back to my desk tonight because "big comfy couch mode" actually isn't comfortable for me.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1184 on: November 16, 2011, 10:47:41 PM

Just do what Nija is doing, then.  It's what I do.

Seriously people, why you don't all own a projector is something I wll never understand.  Greatest toy ever.  If I was single, I would never own a real TV or monitor.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #1185 on: November 16, 2011, 11:07:19 PM

Not everyone likes the couch gaming set-up.

I believe it's a glitch. The skeleton was embedded in the front door to Whiterun one day and stayed there for maybe a game day (boogying around) and then it collapsed out of the air into the courtyard where it stayed for another game day or so, now it's gone.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1186 on: November 16, 2011, 11:19:07 PM

inc Skyrim bebbeeeeehh

http://www.ripten.com/2011/11/16/couple-completes-real-life-skyrim-quest-name-baby-dovahkiin-sam-n/

...own a projector is something I wll never understand.  Greatest toy ever.  If I was single, I would never own a real TV or monitor.

I always heard stuff about games overworking the bulbs on projectors and never found out for myself. Seems kinda silly now that I think about it. I'd love to get one.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:21:36 PM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1187 on: November 16, 2011, 11:56:13 PM

How do you figure the dragon skeleton moving twice isn't a glitch?

Also had a generic blood dragon I killed near a sawmill suddenly appear (still dead) on a bridge.

On projectors: too limited imo.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:59:42 PM by Sky »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1188 on: November 17, 2011, 12:45:39 AM

On projectors: too limited imo.

How do you figure? 

In my former house in the US I had a double ceiling in my living room.  I could whip out the projector and play games on something like a 250" screen (complete with great surround system, of course).  There is no comparable gaming experience, period.  I love my 52" Samsung LCD, but it does not have near the fun-factor of the projector.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1189 on: November 17, 2011, 01:20:45 AM

So someone mocked up a vastly improved UI for Skyrim:

It's sooo good, but now I'm actually kind of mad that it's going to be months (if ever) before we get something approaching that level of usability.

Edit: And for any pure mages out there who are thinking of or already have grabbed the Dual Casting perk for Destruction, don't bother. I just discovered it's a 10% damage increase for 40% extra magicka cost. It is just not worth it unless you have the perk that lets your dual casted Destro spells stagger an enemy; even then, if you are fighting something that's so tough and has so much HP that you need the stagger to keep it away from you, you're going to run out of magicka before you kill the thing anyway due to the extra costs outstripping the damage bonus.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:00:33 AM by koro »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: