Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 03:00:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 625175 times)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #1050 on: November 15, 2011, 03:19:26 PM

I just keep reminding myself I hated Oblivion and Morrowind which both turned into incredible wastes of money.  I've plugged this into the Eve category of "better to read than to play."
In this case, I'd say it's a fallacy. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1051 on: November 15, 2011, 03:24:32 PM

I just keep reminding myself I hated Oblivion and Morrowind which both turned into incredible wastes of money.  I've plugged this into the Eve category of "better to read than to play."

I thought the same thing, yet... now I look like this.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #1052 on: November 15, 2011, 03:25:55 PM

There's a bit of a delay as you draw your new weapons, but the hotkey system works well enough for swapping my shield with fast heal and back.

I find it a bit hilarious and arbitrary that I cannot have a hotkey 9 or 0, only 1-8.
Leftover from FO3 Oblivion I think.

There are eight hotkeys because it maps cleanly to a joystick: one hotkey per 45°.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1053 on: November 15, 2011, 03:26:26 PM

So before I gain too much light armor xp how much of an impact does heavy armor have on sneak?  A few people have said there is no good reason to go light...
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1054 on: November 15, 2011, 03:27:43 PM

There is at least one sneak perk that reduces the impact armor has on it, but it is pretty far in. That said I haven't noticed a tremendous difference in people spotting me since I switched to wearing heavy armor.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #1055 on: November 15, 2011, 03:47:38 PM

Depending on how alike previous games it is, you might be able to mitigate the entire penalty by just not wearing boots, or by wearing weightless (bound armour) boots.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: November 15, 2011, 04:04:10 PM

Does Skyrim have katana/sabre/scimitars?

There are scimitars!  My character briefly wielded one after finding some corsairs with them on a pirate vessel near Solitude.  It's not a bad weapon, either; Skyforge Steel is better, and is just as easy to get, but not by much.

I'm using a Blades Sword, which looks for all the world like a katana, I have made superior which  equals a superior skyforge steel blade . I'm debating what enchantment to put on it.   

I  am doing the battle mage with  light armor and a  lot of offensive and defensive  postion use. I can already see at least three replays set up.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1057 on: November 15, 2011, 04:32:01 PM

So I am now doing a silly thing to level Stealth.  Walking/Running (depending on level) behind a horse in a stable into the wall levels Stealth.   awesome, for real

Also learned some command prompt commands to remove/add perks.  Put a few things where I didn't want them so you can remove one and add another.  Google it for help.

Also, there is a command that I haven't decided whether or not I want to hack my character with.  You can easily boost your weight capacity and set a high level.  On one hand this isn't really altering the power of my character and just takes out the silly weight/inventory meta game.  On the other, I am cheating!

Hmm I'll probably end up boosting it so I don't have to worry about getting heavy and LOOT LOOT LOOT!!!
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #1058 on: November 15, 2011, 04:41:31 PM

Have fun scrolling through your inventory for two hours to reach the item at the bottom :P

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1059 on: November 15, 2011, 04:43:10 PM

I've been doing fine with light armor for what it's worth. I had issues sneaking until ~60 sneak, really. Issues meaning I wasn't able to sneak into melee range easily.

Now, I can happily pop a number of people in the face with a bow from six feet away and they won't go to full alert. Backstabbing is still seriously iffy though, I can sneak up on someone, stab away and half the time I won't get any bonus damage at all.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1060 on: November 15, 2011, 05:20:24 PM

Haven't bought this yet, but usually code in extra inventory space in pretty much all the RPG's I play.  And in past TES games I've pretty much always modified the magicka bar from 50-100 to 400, with a regen rate of 1-3 per second.  Sounds like this game has the magicka regen built in, so maybe I'll only need the 400.  Sounds like I can no longer re-make all the spells so their names are alphabetized logically, which is a huge minus for me.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1061 on: November 15, 2011, 05:30:38 PM

I'm on a console, so I couldn't hack it if I wanted to.

Seems like it's unnecessary though. You can have companions to mule for you. Also, it's just good role playing. I hate having to drop stuff I can cash in on, but shit happens.

On that note, it was funny when I dropped a staff in a town square. Some female guard bitched me out, told me someone could get hurt leaving weapons around. I think I had a choice to push it with her or apologize (I apologized).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:32:18 PM by stray »
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1062 on: November 15, 2011, 05:38:23 PM

So I just discovered a very interesting bug(?) while tooling around on my mage. I've got the Atronach star-sign active, which gives me 50 Magicka, 50% chance to absorb hostile spells, and -50% regen rate. However, I kept noticing something weird when summoning things like atronachs and zombies via Conjuration. Every so often when trying to cast an atronach on what appears to be valid ground, the spell will simply fail. This can happen several times until it succeeds, and I figured it was just some kind of range or invalid terrain bug. However, I just found out what's really happening. Spoilered for those who don't want to be tempted.

The applications of this should be readily apparent.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:47:53 PM by koro »
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1063 on: November 15, 2011, 06:41:19 PM

There is a perk a fair ways into the pickpocketing skill that gives an extra 100 capacity called "extra pockets".  If this is like every other elder scrolls game I only really want the extra capacity at the beginning while poor though, money will probably be sloshing all over the place by the mid levels so I won't need to loot anything that isn't enchanted.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1064 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:26 PM

According to this, if you're playing with mouse/keyboard and disable Xbox controller in the options, you get a significant performance boost.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1065 on: November 15, 2011, 07:13:43 PM

I thought the same thing, yet... now I look like this.

I've heard this argument before.  I'll not be fooled again!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: November 15, 2011, 07:51:35 PM

I've heard this argument before.  I'll not be fooled again!
Yup.  Fun to read, not fun to play.  Same with Morrowind and Oblivion and Dwarf Fortress =P
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1067 on: November 15, 2011, 08:17:03 PM

Finished up a couple big questlines today, although haven't done much of the main story.

Forbidden Legend:

Dark Brotherhood final quests:

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1068 on: November 15, 2011, 08:31:34 PM

Stormcloak quest - only read if you've
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1069 on: November 15, 2011, 09:58:37 PM

Does Skyrim have katana/sabre/scimitars?
There's a quest in Whiterun which leads to a group of Redguard guys, about 10 of them, each with a scimitar. One even has two! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #1070 on: November 15, 2011, 11:50:13 PM

According to this, if you're playing with mouse/keyboard and disable Xbox controller in the options, you get a significant performance boost.
What? Is this the case even when you haven't got a 360 controller connected to the PC, or is it just if it is connected?

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1071 on: November 16, 2011, 12:37:27 AM

What? Is this the case even when you haven't got a 360 controller connected to the PC, or is it just if it is connected?

Read the thread. It's on by default as it was built with the 360 in mind. Switching it off if you're not using a 360 controller is said to improve frame rate significantly.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: November 16, 2011, 12:47:50 AM

Its a Bethesda Game all right. I seem to have managed to bug the Companions questline by approaching a questgiver before other questgivers told me to approach him.

Now I feel right at home!  awesome, for real
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: November 16, 2011, 01:05:01 AM

Read the thread. It's on by default as it was built with the 360 in mind. Switching it off if you're not using a 360 controller is said to improve frame rate significantly.
I'm at work, so I just glanced at the first few posts. The reason I was asking is, I would've thought they would know enough to not run that kind of code if we didn't even have a 360 controller attached, but I guess that was my mistake: I assumed.

I'll try this when I get home, I'm hoping this is the reason why I sometimes have to press return more than once to get it to actually select a menu item, in which case it's an awesome find and I'll love you forever.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1074 on: November 16, 2011, 01:09:42 AM

Must...resist...purchase.  Don't have....time...

You people need to stop making this look fun.  Please use the next three pages to complain about bugs.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1075 on: November 16, 2011, 01:14:40 AM

I feel like my Nord with a full set of heavy armour and a fair few health boosts at lvl 12 is far too easy to kill. I'm not sure if I'm just not getting into the combat well enough yet and I should be parrying more or the 2H weapon I use leaves me too open but I seem to get not infrequently torn apart by enemies. When I finally do get through the replay and manage to kill them I'll also quite frequently find I've got near full health simply because I succeeded in hacking them down before they were able to inflict much damage. It's also frustrating when you've got 1/3 or so of your hp taken out by one MOB using a power attack, although admittedly the death scene is pretty cool.

Had a cool moment just after wandering past a giant camp, there was some sort of stone monolith on top of a hill that was all glowy so I went to check it out. Me and my housecarl get jumped by a gang of skeletons and manage to make short work of them, when I got to the altar that was there I found two dead necromancers. Summoning gone wrong Ohhhhh, I see.

edit: The only reason to hold off on buying this if you're going to play it on the PC and having a crappy UI is a dealbreaker. In that case wait a few more weeks for someone to put out a decent UI mod.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:20:12 AM by NowhereMan »

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1076 on: November 16, 2011, 01:21:46 AM

A little update on the mods I'm using; first, in the spoiler, the ones I mentioned in a previous post:

Also (no problems detected) :

Enhanced blood textures:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=60

Snow Texture Replacer:
http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/files/file/1053-snow-texture-replacer/

Vurt's Skyrim Flora Overhaul (using "Bright Blue Spruce" and the effect is very nice, IMO):
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=141

Glowing Ore Veins:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=193

Skyrim Logo Deluxe:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=154

Detailed Bodies:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=256

Detailed Faces:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=26

No More Blocky Faces (same author, no conflict with the previous mod)
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=30

Even though I've installed them, I'm still on the fence with the following two (easy enough to uninstall them if you don't like the retexture):

Clothes Improvement
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=113

Armor Improvement
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=113

...And the Creation Kit is not even out, yet  ACK!

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1077 on: November 16, 2011, 01:56:55 AM

At level 15 with most points invested in destruction and magicka (with a few in restoration, etc), a small collection of shouts, over 200% of magicka regen gear, and a good collection of spells I'm feeling pretty dangerous.  Recently encountered a dragon while chasing another dragon around and they didn't pose a huge threat.  On the otherhand I still die every now and again if I overextend myself or rush into a situation without paying enough attention or get mobbed close up.  I can dish out crazy damage, but even with the fast regen I have to be careful about managing the magicka pool and keeping some distance -- and in the case of more powerful enemies being careful not to take two direct hits in a row, etc.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1078 on: November 16, 2011, 01:59:23 AM

I kill fast as a Nord/2h/heavy armor.

Maybe because I've trained in nothing but that so far?

Also, I find that 3rd person view is easier. Mages give me a hard time though, but if I close in, they're down quick.

------

One of the coolest little features of this game is how random npcs comment on what's going on atm. I got out of a dungeon and saw a camp nearby. It was an old man and two bodyguards.. he was a quest giver, talking about missing family members. As I was listening to him, a dragon showed up nearby, so I clicked out of dialogue and ran towards it. I could hear him acting afraid.. "Dragon!"

After I took it down though, he came running towards me and was like.. "Just like the legends. You're dragonborn."

Another similar circumstance is I had one quest to visit a tree to get it's sap. Some npc in the temple wanted to tag along, as a pilgrimage for himself. It was a pain in the ass running through the wild with the guy. And soon enough, I had to fight another dragon. He commented in the same way as the old dude above. "I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes." That sort of thing.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #1079 on: November 16, 2011, 02:05:27 AM

The NPCs actually annoy  me a bit, because they keep talking when I'm not even looking at them, just because I'm close by. I actually think RAGE did this better.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1080 on: November 16, 2011, 02:32:21 AM

The NPCs actually annoy  me a bit, because they keep talking when I'm not even looking at them, just because I'm close by. I actually think RAGE did this better.

Here's another funny one..

I dropped some armor in front of one of the Companions (the blonde, drunk dude).

"Hey... that armor... you got rid of it, yeah? Can I have it?"

Dialogue 1: Sure
Dialogue 2: No, stay away from it.

Picked 1

"Today's my lucky day!"

It's not Bioware's level of dialogue, but I like the attention to detail. Even Bioware doesn't do that.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1081 on: November 16, 2011, 02:51:12 AM

The random things are funny.

I left a castle where I'd dropped some excess loot. The maid ran after me, saying "I think these are yours".

I was running along a road at night, when an elk accidentally ran across my path and I battleaxed it to death :)

I shot a woman dead at night in a town and nobody saw. Looted the key to her house, and looted her house as her young, newly orphaned daughter made admiring comments about my bow...
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: November 16, 2011, 03:12:52 AM

ACK!

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Logain
Terracotta Army

Reply #1083 on: November 16, 2011, 04:56:49 AM

Regarding people's frustration with keeping up with status effects and unknowingly being diseased:

Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #1084 on: November 16, 2011, 05:40:08 AM

My son and I got this instead of BF3, man we are lovin' it!!!  I'm playing sword and board and it is killer once you get block built up.  He is doing archery and really likes it.  We both have heard from friends that the death scenes from dual welding is pretty tight!  I'm on the fence as far as companions, but for stealth missions I almost feel it is better solo than dragging Lydia around.

Oh being a
Anyone got a link on crafting?  I've figured out a few of the things, but more curious as to where I can do what (cooking, wood cutting, mining), and what some things are used for (iron ore, where do I make iron ingots out of it?), etc...
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: