Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 11:03:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 625146 times)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #980 on: November 15, 2011, 07:58:37 AM

Most of my texture issues manifest themselves as black or very dark textures, or missing altogether. It usually happens after I've alt-tabbed out and in to the game again a few times, running it in windowed mode seems to have alleviated most of that, but more ... testing ... is needed. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #981 on: November 15, 2011, 08:01:11 AM

The triangle is supposed to indicate items which are an upgrade, although it doesn't seem capable of looking at enchantments or recognizing what armor/weapon type your character specializes in.

I also noticed that if you are in trade mode with your companion, it will give the little up triangle beside your equipment that would be an upgrade for the companion.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #982 on: November 15, 2011, 08:02:21 AM

Most of my texture issues manifest themselves as black or very dark textures, or missing altogether. It usually happens after I've alt-tabbed out and in to the game again a few times, running it in windowed mode seems to have alleviated most of that, but more ... testing ... is needed. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
That makes sense. I was alt-tabbing a lot before it started. I'll try one of the borderless mods out there. Does it impact game performance running in windowed?

Looks like the UI mods are taking a bit because the UI is all SWF files. Someone recently converted them all to FLA, but it sounds like it's just a crude conversion of the files.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #983 on: November 15, 2011, 08:02:53 AM

So poking around trying to find a fix for my crashing issues, it seems to be brought about by my video card just saying fuck it..

But apparently the fan fix is this: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=134

Because in 2011, we're still making fucking 32 bit games.

edit: and I will never fail to fuck up my stealth approach to forts by assuming at least ONE goddamned fort or keep in Skyrim isn't occupied by bandits or necromancers. What the shit do the Jarls do all day besides lose keeps to brigands?
What were your crashes like? Mine happen very randomly, sometimes quickly and sometimes not for hours. Wondering if this will fix it for me.

Anyone experienced texture issues? Last night I had a robe show up purple and after that the Khajit model in the loading screen had purple skin.

I get frequent either missing models (lol transparent people or missing building parts), purple textures everywhere from failed texture loads, and bad lighting engine issues where everything is either pitch black or bright white.

Crash wise, rarely in the middle of nowhere for no reason (seems like when a random encounter is about to load), mostly during loading screens. Basically Ill start with shitty texture problems, and know a crash is incoming in the next two load screens. I've had one corrupted autosave from it as well (game hung when trying to load that autosave, when I looked at it in the list the screenshot was corrupted as hell)

I haven't played enough to know if this fixes it, but it apparently takes a ton of load off your video card by giving Skyrim a lot more memory to play with.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:04:31 AM by kildorn »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #984 on: November 15, 2011, 08:09:56 AM

Edit: I'm also really disappointed that the non-burning-but-wood-filled campfires you find around the world cannot be lit on fire with fire magic.
Feel the same, I tried lighting some braziers with fire magic and was let down.
Why the holy hell is my quest list IN THE SYSTEM SETTINGS SCREEN. CHRIST BETHESDA.
Forgot about that one. My pet peeve is the status effects being buried in the magic menu. Didn't know I had a -25% melee disease for I don't know how long  Ohhhhh, I see.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #985 on: November 15, 2011, 08:16:58 AM

Why the holy hell is my quest list IN THE SYSTEM SETTINGS SCREEN. CHRIST BETHESDA.
Forgot about that one. My pet peeve is the status effects being buried in the magic menu. Didn't know I had a -25% melee disease for I don't know how long  Ohhhhh, I see.

Yeah, the status effects thing is a pain in the ass. They should have just had negative statuses show up when you open the menu. I'm going to assume neither of you are using a 360 controller because the placement of the quest log being there makes sense when you're using the controller. I can't see any other place to put it with there already being an ass load of stuff in the item/magic/skills menu.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #986 on: November 15, 2011, 08:17:45 AM

I love that everyone I meet likes to tell me I'm pale and sickly looking. THANKS. You kill dozens of dragons to save people, and they can't even say I look great for what I've been through. Should just let the dragons raze the next town.

edit: the menus are completely built around controllers, which explains the strangeness. Quests are in the system menu because all four directions are taken in the base menu. It's just still a crazy place to put it. You need your quest menu FAR more than you need your skills/level up menu. They just wanted to present the level up text centrally.

The skill tree I imagine is far more usable with a controller as well. I have issues clicking on the sides of the tree, it likes to think I meant "GO TO THE NEXT TREE OVER", not "Please show me that shield upgrade on the left"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:20:17 AM by kildorn »
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #987 on: November 15, 2011, 08:18:21 AM

That makes sense. I was alt-tabbing a lot before it started. I'll try one of the borderless mods out there. Does it impact game performance running in windowed?
I'm not seeing any difference whatsoever, at least not that I'm noticing.

Looks like the UI mods are taking a bit because the UI is all SWF files. Someone recently converted them all to FLA, but it sounds like it's just a crude conversion of the files.
I think the entire UI needs to be taken out back and shot in the fucking head. Burn it with fire, etc.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: November 15, 2011, 08:29:52 AM

Wow, thank you. I really thought the only way to see if you're diseased was to walk into the Alchemy shop and see if offers me a cure, and was getting very frustrated that you can't see ongoing effects.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #989 on: November 15, 2011, 08:33:15 AM

Wow, thank you. I really thought the only way to see if you're diseased was to walk into the Alchemy shop and see if offers me a cure, and was getting very frustrated that you can't see ongoing effects.
They're scamming you. They keep telling me I look sick and should buy X, but I have 0 negative effects on me.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #990 on: November 15, 2011, 08:34:33 AM

Well it hasn't worked; every time they say it I run to the nearest temple and click the altar. I guess now I can figure out what those do too.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #991 on: November 15, 2011, 08:39:39 AM

I've been assuming the "you look sick!" thing is either a plot thing I haven't uncovered yet or a racial slur. A lot more people say it to me than just alchemists.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #992 on: November 15, 2011, 08:40:08 AM

I love that everyone I meet likes to tell me I'm pale and sickly looking. THANKS. You kill dozens of dragons to save people, and they can't even say I look great for what I've been through. Should just let the dragons raze the next town.

That's because you have vampirism.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: November 15, 2011, 08:50:05 AM

I also get it, and I haven't eaten vampire dust or been bitten by a vampire, nor do I get any indication that I should go about sucking someone's blut. vOv

(At least I don't think I ate the vampire dust I picked up at some point, but with the fucktastic UI, god knows what I ate at some point.)

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #994 on: November 15, 2011, 08:50:42 AM

That's because you have vampirism.

It hasn't shown as anything other than "you be sick!" and I've easily played more than a month of game time since then. Does vampirism simply not DO anything in skyrim?

It seems like this happens to all my characters by the time they reach the first town. I really think it has to do with rested states, since I've never ever bothered using a bed.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #995 on: November 15, 2011, 08:58:36 AM

Look at your buffs/debuffs.  Initially you get a sort of pre-vampirism disease that lasts an in-game week or too before you actually turn into a vampire.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #996 on: November 15, 2011, 08:59:20 AM

So it seems the UI has issues eh?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #997 on: November 15, 2011, 09:00:00 AM

Look at your buffs/debuffs.  Initially you get a sort of pre-vampirism disease that lasts an in-game week or too before you actually turn into a vampire.

I have no debuffs at all. Still get told by every random dude that I look pale or sickly.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #998 on: November 15, 2011, 09:01:21 AM

The UI is an adventure minigame. Every screen a miniboss with a puzzle trick you need to figure out :P
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #999 on: November 15, 2011, 09:03:32 AM

I have no debuffs at all. Still get told by every random dude that I look pale or sickly.
It could very well be a bug. For all you know you contracted it, cured it and their dialogue doesn't change.

Edit: Some people are speculating it has to do with lack of sleep. I'm sure a lot of us just keep moving and fast travelling without sleeping, so it makes sense. You also get a bonus XP for resting, especially so if you rest in your house bed.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:08:51 AM by NiX »
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1000 on: November 15, 2011, 09:09:26 AM

They could at least be polite, instead of just telling the dude who keeps killing all the dragons that he looks like shit. :(
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1001 on: November 15, 2011, 09:14:43 AM

Maybe that's the Skyrim way of saying you deserve a break?
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1002 on: November 15, 2011, 09:22:26 AM

I was getting told I looked pale and sickly - checked my status and sure enough, I had some muscle disease giving me -25% melee damage.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1003 on: November 15, 2011, 09:41:50 AM

I have a question for you all. I am gonna buy this game anyway at some point, but your answers might tip the scale between next week or next year:

If I want to play full melee, without ever using a spell or a ranged weapon, can I do so or it's pretty much impossible?

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1004 on: November 15, 2011, 09:46:04 AM

I have a question for you all. I am gonna buy this game anyway at some point, but your answers might tip the scale between next week or next year:

If I want to play full melee, without ever using a spell or a ranged weapon, can I do so or it's pretty much impossible?
It's possible, you just have to commit to that setup and be prepared for a slight hump at the beginning. Dragons do a lot of damage up close, but if you have a companion or horse, you can deal with that problem fairly easily.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #1005 on: November 15, 2011, 09:51:21 AM

Additionally, given that the main character's schtick is that they have innate magical power, even someone who never learns a spell is gonna have a fair bit of mystical oomph through their shouts.  Whether you use them or not is up to you of course.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1006 on: November 15, 2011, 09:51:36 AM

Does anyone have this for console or is everyone playing on a PC?  

I plan to pick it up for my PS3, only because my computer is sub-par for gaming and I prefer gaming on the couch these days, mods be damned.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1007 on: November 15, 2011, 10:41:42 AM

You can absolutely do it.  In fact, I'm pretty much playing that right now and though the game starts off very challenging for that sort of character things do come together later.  At level 25 I now feel like a force of nature.  I use archery occasionally, but usually it's just to get a dragon's attention so that they'll come down and fight me on the ground and I haven't cast any spell other than the starting healing spell between fights because it's cheaper than potions.  I could still play this character without doing that though.

That said, I have been extremely focused on what perks I take on level-ups and have only recently picked up anything other than 1h-weapon, heavy armor and blocking, and the only reason I even did that was because I didn't have any perks from those categories that I could take due to my skills still catching up.  If you're going full melee Orcs are pretty damned amazing.  Once a day, as a racial power, my character can fly into a rage doing double damage while only taking half damage for sixty seconds, and that has been invaluable in dealing massive amounts of damage against dragons while they're briefly on the ground.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1008 on: November 15, 2011, 10:42:12 AM

I plan to pick it up for my PS3, only because my computer is sub-par for gaming and I prefer gaming on the couch these days, mods be damned.

Aside from personal quibbles like the extra-uber-slow rate of magicka regen in combat, there's not a lot that I can see that annoys me to the point of wanting to mod it. The UI is garbage on the PC, but on consoles (and for those people who threw up their hands in frustration and plugged in a 360 pad on their PCs) it works fine. So the PS3 version should be fine.

Though, as an aside, I've never understood the idea of "couch gaming". Most all of my gaming in my life has been done in a chair, on the floor, or rarely on my bed; sitting way back on a couch to play feels incredibly uncomfortable for me, even with a controller. Not to mention that I've had to spend enough time crashing on couches in my life that I've got an almost Pavlovian response to fall asleep very easily on a comfy enough couch.

Give me a sturdy cushioned chair over a couch any day.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1009 on: November 15, 2011, 10:50:43 AM

Load times on the 360 are BRUTAL at times. Just walking into a building can be painful.

It works really well with the controller though and is still a very pretty game.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1010 on: November 15, 2011, 10:51:43 AM

Though, as an aside, I've never understood the idea of "couch gaming". Most all of my gaming in my life has been done in a chair, on the floor, or rarely on my bed; sitting way back on a couch to play feels incredibly uncomfortable for me, even with a controller. Not to mention that I've had to spend enough time crashing on couches in my life that I've got an almost Pavlovian response to fall asleep very easily on a comfy enough couch.

Give me a sturdy cushioned chair over a couch any day.

It's more along the lines of not having to seclude myself in the back office just so I can play on a desktop on a desk (because my wrist hurts when trying to use a mouse on a couch, even when using something to hold it up).  Playing on the couch means I can still hang out and socialize with my fiance and still be in the center of the house to grab a drink or talk with people if they are around (like my roommate).   And there's not enough room in the family room for a desk.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1011 on: November 15, 2011, 11:26:36 AM

Not on my system.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #1012 on: November 15, 2011, 11:27:53 AM

Soul harvesting is also helped a lot by the conjuration perk that makes bound weapons automatically steal souls.  The only trick is that you'd better keep yourself well-stocked on low-level soul gems, lest you find that killing a wolf on the street stuck a petty soul in a grand gem.  I keep a stack of 10-20 petty gems at all times to safeguard against it.

I bought the home in Markarth, the old dwarven city, and it is pretty pimp in there.  Both an alchemy lab and enchanting table, an armor mannequin and lots of weapon racks for showing off stuff.  I hit level 24 and am becoming concerned about outleveling my combat skills, so have temporarily stopped messing around with alchemy and enchanting to focus on topping off stabby and spellcasty things.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #1013 on: November 15, 2011, 11:28:51 AM

Oh, and as a side note, the bound bow is supremely sweet.  Unlike previous elder scroll games, you get a stack of summoned arrows with the bow, so you don't have to worry about ammo.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1014 on: November 15, 2011, 11:41:01 AM

I'd buy a house in Markath, but I think I'm wanted for multiple counts of murder.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: