Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 01:40:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 625174 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #700 on: November 10, 2011, 02:21:15 PM

I got Oblivion for free from a friend, I've installed and started it twice and never got more than 2 or 3 hours into it before something more interesting came in and I needed the hard drive space.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #701 on: November 10, 2011, 02:29:42 PM

Well, don't trust me on this one then, if I come back with a glowing response.  I liked both Oblivion and Borderlands enough to finish the single player campaigns modless and mostly solo respectively. 

And yah, my resolve to wait is basically shot.  I think I might just make it, however, since I go out of town on Saturday.  If I can just make it through tonight without preloading..

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #702 on: November 10, 2011, 02:32:35 PM

I got Oblivion for free from a friend, I've installed and started it twice and never got more than 2 or 3 hours into it before something more interesting came in and I needed the hard drive space.

That is exactly my experience with Oblivion. I wanted to love it, but it never grew on me. That's exactly why I was sure I wouldn't have liked Fallout 3, but I was so wrong. This is no Fallout though.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #703 on: November 10, 2011, 02:51:54 PM

Full Skyrim soundtrack: 4h30m long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqQ6Q0VEZgY

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #704 on: November 10, 2011, 02:52:33 PM

Honestly, anyone who's giving reviews out now for a game that's been out for less than 48 hours at best is nuts. Anyone who's played the game through all the way in that time it just not my kind of gamer to start with, so I'm still holding off. Oblivion too gave off great impressions the first few hours. It was only after the 36th hour of trepsing about to the next, identical portal area that the utter goram boredom set in for me.

In other words, I'm really gonna wait a week before plonking down dosh on any RPG game.

Kotaku had their collector's edition a few weeks ago, I'm guessing most reviewers have had it awhile.

I know they got the Zelda game last week, too.  So they should be able to get a firm grasp on the game before launch.  Whether to trust a paid review is another question altogether.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #705 on: November 10, 2011, 03:03:31 PM

Ya, I didn't take into account that most of these review sites have had their copy for a while now. But as you say, I don't trust the danged gaming media to not hyperbole the heck ot of something for the sake of readership. I essentially trust two sources: The Escapist and F13. Its a miracle I purchase any games whatsoever.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: November 10, 2011, 03:06:05 PM

The Escapist review was the one that convinced me to go for the Steam preload.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #707 on: November 10, 2011, 03:13:19 PM

Heh, just watched the review. I actually should have specified Zero Punctuation, not the Escapist perse, but that review seemed ok.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Rasix

Reply #708 on: November 10, 2011, 03:16:30 PM

I wouldn't call Zero Punctuation reviews, and he somewhat has a stunted taste in games.   I must admit that "Shooter Season 2011" has been pretty amusing, since I'm not a huge FPS fan.

edit: Must.. stop... watching... Skyrim reviews.. blarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgg
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:18:31 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: November 10, 2011, 03:28:15 PM

Well I guess it has something for everyone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K27GuSSha0s
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #710 on: November 10, 2011, 03:31:37 PM

oh god, that is brilliant awesome, for real

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Rasix

Reply #711 on: November 10, 2011, 03:33:33 PM

I'm sad he didn't work a dragon into that somehow.

-Rasix
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #712 on: November 10, 2011, 03:51:35 PM

...And it has unlocked right now here in central europe (CET)  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #713 on: November 10, 2011, 04:05:04 PM

Ok I was cackling at that. Bravo.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #714 on: November 10, 2011, 04:40:39 PM

aaaa so close to pres butan on skyrim and ss3.

must. walk. away.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
schild
Administrator

Reply #715 on: November 10, 2011, 05:50:45 PM

Putting that basket on people's heads makes the game look like Demon's Souls.

I think I found From Software's secret sauce.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #716 on: November 10, 2011, 06:08:48 PM

For anyone waiting on a steam unlock.. you're welcome:

It's possible to use VPN access to unlock the game early.

Edit: On second thought.. PM ME FOR VPN ACCESS. I've had something like 10-15 friends use it to success so far. I pay for the VPN, so not some random link.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:15:36 PM by NiX »
schild
Administrator

Reply #717 on: November 10, 2011, 07:18:52 PM

Scumbag Nix:

Makes posts, walks away from computer.
schild
Administrator

Reply #718 on: November 10, 2011, 09:21:29 PM

Anyone know how to turn the frame off in windowed mode?

Solution: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:30:32 PM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #719 on: November 10, 2011, 10:34:20 PM

The reusing of what is basically a bunch of Fallout 3 sounds works great here. You leveled, DUN DUN.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #720 on: November 10, 2011, 11:35:15 PM

Someone with first-hand experience...

Is it a) buggy and crashy b) did they fuck it up to the point that first couple hours are unfun?

Yes, I distrust reviewers this much.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: November 10, 2011, 11:37:20 PM

Running great for me so far; no issues. YET???

Yeah, the sound effects kinda take me out of it for a moment, then I carry on. Especially the eating sounds. I'm like, "Brahmin steak...? Oh yeah."

Bloody hell it's gorgeous and fun. Still feels like the same game system to me though, despite their claims of changing anything.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #722 on: November 11, 2011, 12:01:19 AM

Fair warning if you have a 360 gamepad plugged in the game will go full retard and disable the mouse/keyboard until you turn it off.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #723 on: November 11, 2011, 12:29:50 AM

Gorgeous game and fun so far, about two hours in.  The lighting and animations are particularly well done, and the outdoor environments lend themselves well to picturesque vistas.  I haven't had any technical issues at all.

Gameplay: Not much has changed here, but so far I like the levelling up process much better and I don't feel the need to micromanage my advancement like in the other games, which is something that always took me out of the game and really ruined Oblivion.  I've gone through two dungeons, essentially, and I discovered my favorite new feature: when you've gone all the way through an area on the map, if you mouseover that location on the world map it will read "cleared" underneath.  It's a small improvement, but it helps those of us who are completists that don't like taking notes anymore.  The ui is improved over previous games, but that isn't saying much.  Still, the inventory is leaps and bounds better than Oblivion, for PC users, anyway.  Loading times are also extremely fast; faster than previous games, I think, though that may simply be my newer computer.

These are just initial thoughts on the game, and should be taken as such.  It could go horribly downhill soon, but so far I'm really enjoying it and it feels like it was worth the price of admission on opening day.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:33:00 AM by Ruvaldt »

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #724 on: November 11, 2011, 12:42:13 AM

Just got back from a Gamestop midnight in West Seattle.  It was chaos.  Easily 200 copies purchased in front of me.  This will be my last Gamestop purchase and last midnight.  There's just no reason for it anymore, with Steam and Amazon release day delivery for .99 cents.
carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #725 on: November 11, 2011, 12:52:31 AM

But the real question is "if someone has a basket on their head, does that mean they won't see me steal all their shit?"
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #726 on: November 11, 2011, 01:09:33 AM

But the real question is "if someone has a basket on their head, does that mean they won't see me steal all their shit?"

And the answer to that is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8

Nope.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:11:17 AM by koro »
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: November 11, 2011, 01:59:04 AM

Our glorious privatized mail services failed to cover 200 miles in three days, so I'm not getting Skyrim until monday. Blergh.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #728 on: November 11, 2011, 02:04:52 AM

The Invisible Hand of the Free Market System is currently Dual Wielding your Character.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #729 on: November 11, 2011, 02:10:03 AM

I generally hate TES or anything that Betehsda produces for that matter. Three things about Skyrim make it work for me (about 3 hours in):

1) My character doesn't look like a bag of potatos.
2) First random, no quest, side-dungeon - a mine filled with bandits actually felt dungeon-y. There was a mini boss and I got several useful magic item drops, instead of a rusty dagger. Because you're level 2, what did you expect.
3) The character progression system is still silly, but they've refined it to a point where I can actually play past it. I'd even go as far as to call it half-decent.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: November 11, 2011, 02:12:30 AM

Suck it physical copies. Played for half an hour this morning and will be playing instead of lunch in an hour as well.

Sadly, thats likely all I will get till Sunday, if I can't somehw shake the relatives that decided to visit this weekend of all times.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: November 11, 2011, 02:39:47 AM

Really like the new leveling system with perks and all that.    The lack of any stats at all is going to perhaps make the gear a bit boring but oh well.   Better faces, new dialog system and better magic are all wins.   Only real flaw I saw so far is I did the first dungeon at a very low level and it felt too easy.   Mods will fix that sort of thing though.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #732 on: November 11, 2011, 03:00:36 AM

I'm pretty sure I went through that dungeon too and it was a little too easy, though the atmosphere and layout was really good.  The difficulty steps up pretty quickly, thankfully.  I ended up in a dungeon pursuing a stolen doodad not long after entering the first hamlet and encountered some pretty keen challenges in a spitting giant spider mini-boss and a well-equipped zombie nord boss at the end of a ruin.  Both proved to be a good challenge and I was rewarded for my efforts.

The leveling system is an immense improvement over previous entries and I'm really enjoying the lack of stats.  Though I'm a veteran rpg player, I find the approach refreshing and with fewer stats to fiddle with I get to just enjoy the ride more than I have in the past.  After around 4 hours played Skyrim feels more like an adventure game than an rpg at times, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing because they seem to have fully embraced the thing that TES games have always had going for them: sandboxy open adventure on an epic scale. 

I'm not normally one to praise a TES game.  I often find them tedious.  But this one, at least so far, seems to have hit the mark more than others.  I only have 4 hours played though so I haven't gotten anywhere near enough play to make a final judgement.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: November 11, 2011, 03:05:50 AM

Well I caved like a fat kid when he hears the ice cream truck.  Downloading on Steam.  It's not like I'm playing SWTOR anytime soon. 
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: November 11, 2011, 04:14:22 AM

Has anyone got a link to the manual PDF? Google looks like there might be on on the Steam forums but those are down right now.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: