Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 09:42:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Awful Crimes of Beloved Games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Awful Crimes of Beloved Games  (Read 31689 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: April 25, 2013, 04:05:46 PM

The mother of all cockpunches that gave birth to entire communities that last in their diasporas to this day: Everquest
That probably would top my list, but I didn't get there until Velious, and by then enough of it was workable that all my personal angst is from the game rules, not the unplayable broken mess I hear it was at launch.

If I had to pick, I'd probably go DAoC. It only became retroactively beloved for what the players fondly remember bringing to it themselves, years after it had any real market relevance. It's like the ST:DS9 of MMOs  awesome, for real I can't see why any remake of that would have any appeal.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: April 25, 2013, 11:53:42 PM

Ah, Everquest. You missed most of the "fun" then.

My personal favourites is the "if you try to loot a second lore item when you already in possession of one it gets destroyed and nobody can take it ever again" feature. People online lives were destroyed by that one and they had to wander around lonely and hated after destroying a rare and important item.

No wonder people have Stockholm syndrome about that one.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #142 on: April 26, 2013, 07:30:52 AM

Talking about going back to any of these MMOs is just a very sad, sad thing to expose about yourself.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: April 26, 2013, 08:15:29 AM

Talking about going back to any of these MMOs is just a very sad, sad thing to expose about yourself.

Honestly it is more a statement of how much of a failure modern MMOs are.  Most people would happily forget those games if they had something more appealing to play.  But nothing new has really captured imaginations the same way, even if they were dreadful mechanically.  Something with modern mechanics, but the old games worlds/player interactions would be fantastic. But nothing has emerged.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: April 26, 2013, 11:30:05 AM

There are no modern MMO's. They've all become Massive Lobby Wait In The Queue Until Your Group Of Half A Dozen People Go Do Your Instanced Mission Multiplayer Games.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: April 26, 2013, 11:59:19 AM

There are no modern MMO's. They've all become Massive Lobby Wait In The Queue Until Your Group Of Half A Dozen People Go Do Your Instanced Mission Multiplayer Games.

Except the half a dozen might be 50 like in WoT or WoWP or there's no lobby like in GW2 or Secret World you might be right.

Na, your entire statement is wrong.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #146 on: April 26, 2013, 01:35:03 PM

I don't really buy into the idea that you need to play old MMOs because new ones suck.  The old ones sucked, too.  Also, there are other game types to play.  Some of these games are outside.  So, two things:
1) Modern MMOs suck because MMOs suck.  People are allowed to like things that suck, by the by.
2) Lack of a good modern MMO doesn't mean you have to pine away for a shitty non-modern MMO.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: April 26, 2013, 02:56:27 PM

I don't really buy into the idea that you need to play old MMOs because new ones suck.  The old ones sucked, too.  Also, there are other game types to play.  Some of these games are outside.  So, two things:
1) Modern MMOs suck because MMOs suck.  People are allowed to like things that suck, by the by.
2) Lack of a good modern MMO doesn't mean you have to pine away for a shitty non-modern MMO.

Its less about how "good" the games are and more about how they make you feel when it comes to MMOs.  The moment to moment playing of Counter Strike or Team Fortress or Starcraft is engaging and fun to me.  The moment to moment playing of EVE is not particularly engaging and fun, but as an experience  it captures what I am looking for.  It is that overall experience that modern MMOs have generally lacked, whether they hit or missed on the good moment to moment gameplay.  Older MMOs seemed to get that overall experience right, even though their mechanics were clunky and I actually generally wouldn't want to put up with them today (which is why I'm not playing any of them right now).  A good modern MMO would be able to get both of these things right.  Incidentally, I think this is one of the reasons that WoW continues to hold strong.  It still has just enough of those older influences to give a bit of that experience, while giving some of most responsive combat, engaging combat out of the tab-targetting combat style games.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: April 26, 2013, 06:48:28 PM

As far as I recall, MMOs have been tied to online forums more intrinsically than any other genre, talking like BBS/MUD days if you trace it back. That being the case (or, because I'm old: if that's the case) then I'd say that's the reason MMOs are more a special place in a lot of people's hearts than whatever crap ass FPS or RTS game launched that whenever year.

Because unlike that crappy game we bitched about to a few people around school or the office, that MMO was right on the cusp of being awesome if they only did [a few thousand armchair design ideas] since the days the MUD operators could find their top 100 players in a lineup.

Beyond MMOs though, I'd go with Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. Screw you super sekret moves fighting game that only the cool kids knew all the right moves for because they ripped them from the BBSes.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #149 on: April 27, 2013, 02:52:50 PM

The Burger King Creeper game was better than Vanguard.

To be fair, shitting yourself in public is better than Vanguard.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #150 on: April 29, 2013, 06:21:06 AM

Beyond MMOs though, I'd go with Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. Screw you super sekret moves fighting game that only the cool kids knew all the right moves for because they ripped them from the BBSes.

Oh, I mostly figured these out for myself, but yes.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: May 03, 2013, 03:30:36 PM

World of Warcraft (Vanilla). Levelling Horde side when you run out of fucking quests and don't even get to kill 10 rats, just grind mobs until you could hit the next swt of quests. Horde Onyxia chain. Fucking barrens runs with no mount. All of that was bullshit but it didn't stop me grinding my fingers down to hit 60. Hunter and warlock classes on release were screwed up messes... but I played both and had fun doing so.

Black and White - fun for a bit especially learning the pets but fuck that game was a shitty sandbox and flawed in really giving you open reign on what you could do. I still played it.

I'm not getting the Homeworld hate - the UI was it's biggest flaw but I got through the campaign fine and still play it today for a bit of nostalgic fun. Homeworld Cataclysm is still enjoyable too.

Then again, I don't get the LoL hate (but can't stand HoN and that has prejudiced my view of DOTA2).

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: May 03, 2013, 03:34:35 PM

Ok, here's where I show my age:

You're complaining about WoW! Shit man, that was easy mode on rails dinggratz compared to DAoC  Get off my lawn!

Oh, I mostly figured these out for myself, but yes.

I never had nearly enough quarters to pay2learn all those moves.

And by the time they came to consoles, I was burned out on the very idea smiley
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: May 03, 2013, 04:36:38 PM

Each SF and MK character has like 3 special moves, many of which use the same inputs. It's not exactly rocket science.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: May 03, 2013, 05:13:12 PM

Each SF and MK character has like 3 special moves, many of which use the same inputs. It's not exactly rocket science.
Physically manipulating your controller just to get your character to do their built-in moves shouldn't be rocket science. Fighting games reify some pretty stupid and arbitrary design.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #155 on: May 03, 2013, 07:02:37 PM

Yeah 360 circles makes me mad. Wish i can just bind a button to each move

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #156 on: May 03, 2013, 07:08:11 PM

I've never been able to pull of a 360 circle move.  I just avoid those characters.  My dragon punches were always shit too.

-Rasix
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: May 03, 2013, 07:30:41 PM

You guys are old.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: May 03, 2013, 07:53:55 PM

Ok, here's where I show my age:

You're complaining about WoW! Shit man, that was easy mode on rails dinggratz compared to DAoC  Get off my lawn!

I can go back to early 80s and complain about Rescue at Rigel on a tape driven Apple ][ if you like :D

Not to mention Rocketeer on my Amiga 1000 and that stupid decoder wheel!!!!!!

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: May 04, 2013, 04:04:29 PM

It is if the only way to learn is through one round every 30 minutes in the arcade at the beach because of the row of quarters left by the other 20 kids waiting to take their turn at the local pro. Maybe if I lived near one of those fancy arcades with 20 MK2s in a row and fewer kids...

They are technically straightforward, as I learned in whatever turbo/reboot/sequel/version/bullshit SF one that launched on X360. But that was decades after I burned out.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #160 on: May 04, 2013, 05:00:10 PM

heh, if we're talking about "awful crimes" related to copy protection, I think almost nothing beats this:

http://xboxmeagain.blogspot.it/2006/08/chrono-quest-retro-review.html

Another unusual aspect of the game was the copy protection in the shape of a grease proof paper grid (see above), which was placed over the boxes cover art. At certain key points of the game you were asked to enter the colour code corresponding to a grid reference, which was all very fine unless you were colour blind. The box cover art was done by renowned artist Roger Dean

Nonetheless, Psygnosis: I miss you  Heart Heartbreak : your fabulous game covers, your weird and difficult games and cockpunching UI (Obliterator, Barbarian...ugh)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #161 on: May 06, 2013, 05:55:33 AM

I sort of miss the physical puzzle DRM.  It wasn't very effective, but at least it didn't shit up my computer.  Also I got a neat toy.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: May 06, 2013, 03:52:38 PM

I don't miss it, it was clunky as fuck keeping track of that stuff.  Even when I had like, six games total, I lived in mortal terror of my decoder wheel getting thrown in the garbage by my parents or something.  And nowadays it just causes headaches.

For example, I think I've mentioned this before, but the Space Quest Collection is an anthology of the six space quest games, and the documentation is a mashup of the documentation for the old Space Quest Anthology (which itself was a frankenstein of the documentation for the first five games) plus the basic control manual for SQ6.  Unfortunately, the docs excluded one of the fluff lore pamphlets, which had an article towards the end titled "how to convert your datacorder in to a homing beacon".  This is unfortunately required to solve a puzzle in the game.

To top it off, it's not one of those "Hey, kids, go enter the solution found on page 197 of your manual!" type setups, either, the puzzle was originally supposed to be solvable in game, and there's references to it lying around the place you need it, so if you don't have the book and don't know the puzzle is missing, you're probably not going to know that it's even supposed to be copy protection.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Awful Crimes of Beloved Games  
Jump to: