Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 01:01:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Suicide Squad 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suicide Squad  (Read 82744 times)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: January 20, 2016, 04:44:13 AM

I liked it. Looks like they might actually go for some humour over grimdark.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #176 on: January 20, 2016, 05:07:53 AM

It's funny to see the total opposite reaction to things here sometimes. Makes me realize how much older we are than popular culture. 

Sure, if you ignore the fact that a lot of pop culture right now is stuff that many of us grew up with like the two top grossing movies last year being sequels to Star Wars and Jurassic Park. I don't think there's some sort of age gap at work here, some people just don't like how the movie looks which I can understand even if I'm cautiously interested in seeing it.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: January 20, 2016, 05:19:07 AM

Reaction has been positive elsewhere and hype is building.  While I think most of the positive feeling is from the song and the way the clips were montaged and choreographed so well, I can see the appeal to younger crowds.

My reservations are based 95% on Snyder being the guy in charge of the DC stuff. Most people don't know or care about that sort of stuff.

In a vacuum I would probably think this is pretty cool. Like...I thought Kung Fu Samurai Power Armor Chaingun Whores looked pretty cool. (I have no idea what the name of that movie was) But I haven't liked a single Snyder movie at all.

In the Batman vs Superman trailer I thought the stuff with Jesse Eisenberg was genuinely bad - his voiceover was just super cheesy and terrible. Here I can't say that anything looks bad - I just suspect it will be bad.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: January 20, 2016, 06:01:36 AM

Take away the baggage of the Suicide Squad name and being part of DC's movie Universe, and this looks like a perfectly entertaining movie.

I agree.  I also didn't mind the music that much.  They did a decent job of fitting the visuals to it.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: January 20, 2016, 06:49:40 AM

I'm sort of cautiously looking forward to this while hoping BvS dies in a fire so DC gets over their washed out colored grimdark mode of making comic book movies.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: January 20, 2016, 07:25:59 AM

I wont be going to see it but it looks like it could be at least ok for people who are into it.

I also haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy so I think I made a wrong turn somewhere...

Hic sunt dracones.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: January 20, 2016, 07:55:51 AM

IReaction has been positive elsewhere and hype is building.  While I think most of the positive feeling is from the song and the way the clips were montaged and choreographed so well, I can see the appeal to younger crowds.

It seems like people are calling this DCs Guardians and I'm sure that's what they're going for. If nothing else it's being marketed a hell of a lot better than batman vs superman at this point.

Keep in mind that the people that have seen it already are a captive audience. Studios are EXTREMELY careful who they screen stuff for these days.

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: January 20, 2016, 07:59:33 AM

The trailer showed something better than I expected. I see how they're trying to use this movie to quickly world build the DCU. Still not enthusiastic,  but I may see it in theaters now.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: January 20, 2016, 08:03:20 AM

This will end in tears. Suicide Squad isn't a bunch of redeemable assholes put in jail because there selfish cuddle bears not given a fair shot at life.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #184 on: January 20, 2016, 08:28:50 AM

It's funny to see the total opposite reaction to things here sometimes. Makes me realize how much older we are than popular culture. 

Sure, if you ignore the fact that a lot of pop culture right now is stuff that many of us grew up with like the two top grossing movies last year being sequels to Star Wars and Jurassic Park. I don't think there's some sort of age gap at work here, some people just don't like how the movie looks which I can understand even if I'm cautiously interested in seeing it.

And we bitch like children because it's different than what we grew up with instead of letting it be reimagined.

I'm just as guilty of it because I wish to high heaven they'd just use some original ideas rather than repurpose existing IP. However, I get that there's no business sense in creating a new brand when you can spend less money to do otherwise and capture a chunk of nostaliga freaks with it.

Hell, to some extent Star Wars, Indy and Jurassic Park all did this by repurposing the old "brands" of Sci-Fi Radio Dramas, Adventure Dramas, and Monster movies the Boomers grew-up with.

IReaction has been positive elsewhere and hype is building.  While I think most of the positive feeling is from the song and the way the clips were montaged and choreographed so well, I can see the appeal to younger crowds.

It seems like people are calling this DCs Guardians and I'm sure that's what they're going for. If nothing else it's being marketed a hell of a lot better than batman vs superman at this point.

Keep in mind that the people that have seen it already are a captive audience. Studios are EXTREMELY careful who they screen stuff for these days.

I meant people talking about the trailer, not the film. However I'll concede there's no reason to believe they aren't social media bots since that's a major advertising thing now.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: January 20, 2016, 09:34:15 AM

This will end in tears. Suicide Squad isn't a bunch of redeemable assholes put in jail because there selfish cuddle bears not given a fair shot at life.
I only saw evidence of a redemption angle for one character (Deadshot).  IIRC, that is a comic related angle - he is a reformed villain in the comics these days.  The rest of them didn't show signs of reform - just working the option given to them.

I don't expect much from this film, but the trailer makes me believe it is not as bad as I feared it might be, and is probably going to be a better film than BvS.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #186 on: January 20, 2016, 09:35:07 AM

I liked it. Looks like they might actually go for some humour over grimdark.
Again that's because of what they showed of Harley. Oh and some dude we have no reason to care about popping open a soda can. And the music.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #187 on: January 20, 2016, 09:36:19 AM

If nothing else it's being marketed a hell of a lot better than batman vs superman at this point.

Absolutely this. This is the first trailer for this movie I've seen where I actually liked it. I'm still not entirely sure about Leto's Joker portrayal, mostly because of the aesthetic. But this still looks better than Dawn of Justice.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #188 on: January 20, 2016, 09:53:23 AM

Just not seeing anything worth watching and not cringing over in this movie.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: January 20, 2016, 10:38:47 AM

Clearly you don't know how money works. No popular characters will be dying in this movie, I'll be shocked if the even kill off Croc.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: January 20, 2016, 02:24:29 PM

If nothing else it's being marketed a hell of a lot better than batman vs superman at this point.

Absolutely this. This is the first trailer for this movie I've seen where I actually liked it. I'm still not entirely sure about Leto's Joker portrayal, mostly because of the aesthetic. But this still looks better than Dawn of Justice.

I agree with this except I don't like Leto's Joker at all so far.  Just looks wrong.  Good trailer though.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #191 on: January 20, 2016, 03:31:39 PM

First your star wars rants, now this. What is your damage, Heather?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: January 22, 2016, 12:34:10 AM

I saw a few actual costumes in this trailer which dramatically improved my predictions alone. It looks like they might not be sticking with 'everyone wears a grey/brown trenchcoat' outfitting. I think I'd go with the opinion that I'd probably be slightly positive about this or at least hopeful, after seeing that trailer if it wasn't a Snyder film. The man doesn't seem to give a fuck about plot or character development and devotes no energy or time to it in most of his movies. The focus is always on the massive over the top action scenes. The trailer really focuses on the characters so I'll wait and see if that translates to the movie at all.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #193 on: January 22, 2016, 01:24:53 AM

I saw a few actual costumes in this trailer which dramatically improved my predictions alone. It looks like they might not be sticking with 'everyone wears a grey/brown trenchcoat' outfitting. I think I'd go with the opinion that I'd probably be slightly positive about this or at least hopeful, after seeing that trailer if it wasn't a Snyder film. The man doesn't seem to give a fuck about plot or character development and devotes no energy or time to it in most of his movies. The focus is always on the massive over the top action scenes. The trailer really focuses on the characters so I'll wait and see if that translates to the movie at all.

Snyder is producing it since he has a hand in all the DC stuff right now, but David Ayer wrote and directed it.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: January 22, 2016, 01:39:29 PM

Optimism cautiously rising... But it's still DC. I guess I'll be actually waiting to see what opening weekend reaction is as opposed to Supes v Bats where I literally don't even know what quarter it's being released.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: January 22, 2016, 02:01:37 PM

Clearly you don't know how money works. No popular characters will be dying in this movie, I'll be shocked if the even kill off Croc.
You act like death means anything.  They can kill Supes in BvS and bring him back in Justice League. 

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: January 24, 2016, 03:41:31 PM

You act like death means anything.  They can kill Supes in BvS and bring him back in Justice League. 

This here is the problem with comics

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: January 24, 2016, 07:09:50 PM

Name me any serial story where they don't eventually say, "Oh, that guy you think died, he didn't really." It's not just comics.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: January 25, 2016, 12:47:54 AM

I honestly can't think of any. Can you name them?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: January 25, 2016, 03:37:48 AM

Heck, the Walking Dead just played this game a bit by trying to make us think Glenn was dead. Now that's a show that generally dead is dead (is zombie), but even in 'realistic' serial stories, it's not uncommon to manipulate a scene of death so that someone who seemed dead turns out to be alive. Arthur Conan Doyle had to do that a long while back when he needed Sherlock Holmes alive again to make more money. (And hence, Sherlock needed to do it too in the current show.)

Another classic more 'realistic' way to do it is to have characters walk away from someone dead only to reveal X number of episodes later that he or she was only mostly dead. Or to have a skilled doctor turn out to have revived a basically dead character after other characters left--The Bionic Woman/Six Million Dollar Man pulled that one a long time ago. In science fiction, it can be future medicine of some kind: Star Trek: Into Darkness and Star Trek: The Search for Spock both did that. Cloning sometimes too (the non-SF version of that is a character who turns out to have an identical twin). Even in a more realistic setting, if you don't see the body buried, there are narrative stunts you can pull.

Just a dream--the extreme version of that is Bobby on Dallas.

It's more common with soaps and superheroes, and with certain kinds of SF and fantasy, but even more realistic serial stories sometimes pull out the not-really-dead stunt to get a popular character back (or pretend-kill to get the audience engaged).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: January 25, 2016, 03:41:08 AM

Bobby in the Shower was an epic reboot though.  Epic.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #201 on: January 25, 2016, 03:44:26 AM

Just because it's common doesn't mean it's accepted by larger audiences. or a good trope.  Also there's a gulf between scene manipulation to make you think someon me is dead for a predictable "oh hey they weren't" save the day/ scare the hero and having a funeral/ burying a body only to have it resurrect.  

People thought and still think the Dallas thing was bullshit, not clever and it tainted the brand even to this day. Even people into Star Trek thought the resurrection of Spock was pretty lame and they wanted him back.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: January 25, 2016, 04:22:09 AM

Tainted the Brand.  Of Dallas.

Heh.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #203 on: January 25, 2016, 06:07:58 AM

It's not our thing, but it did have its followers, like any Soap Opera. It's worth discussing with men our age as much as Twilight Fan Fiction.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: January 25, 2016, 06:33:59 AM

You don't know me !

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: January 25, 2016, 09:22:54 AM

Hey, not saying it's a good idea, just that it's really common in serial fictions of all kinds--and for the same reason, usually--that you killed off someone that a later writer likes and wants to work with, or that audiences really want the character back.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: March 31, 2016, 03:26:24 PM

A couple of weeks ago I spoke with an excellent source who told me something surprising: the trailer for Suicide Squad, the one with the Queen song, did not represent the film as it then existed. "Every joke in the movie is in that trailer," this source told me. The enormous positive response to the trailer led to Warner Bros requesting reshoots that would alter the tone of the film, bringing in some more of the lightness to which audiences responded.

I have since spoken to more sources and I understand that the reshoots are happening right now, as recently as this week, and that they're big - tens of millions of dollars big. And they're adding more humor and lightness into the film.

This, to me, is great news. Hearing that WB is aware that they need to inject some fun into these movies - and that's what I'm hearing is happening here, not that they're inserting jokes left and right but that they're beefing up fun character moments and interactions - can only mean good things for the future of the DC Movieverse after the deadly serious, zero fun Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Justice League begins shooting very, very soon - within a couple of weeks - could this attitude find itself a home on the set of the next Zack Snyder movie? Remember, this is the guy who didn't have Superman and Wonder Woman speak one word to each other - will WB mandate more character interactions? Word is that they're being much more involved this time around...

lol.
Edit: removed link.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:39:46 PM by Evildrider »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #207 on: March 31, 2016, 04:29:01 PM

That link sucks and wants to open/ install shit on my phone.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: March 31, 2016, 06:12:25 PM

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: April 01, 2016, 02:51:24 AM

I hope they led the "We need everything dark and gritty for the sake of it" guy into a conference room and beat him into submission with wet towels so that he doesn't try it ever again.

I'm cautiously optimistic now, but big studios missing nuances, I hope they don't veer to much into a different direction and remake it into a weak comedy with bad jokes.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 02:54:27 AM by Tebonas »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Suicide Squad  
Jump to: