Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 04:26:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2138452 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9695 on: August 29, 2011, 07:07:41 AM

IMO, to answer your question. Its far more entertaining TO ME to watch and hear a quest being acted/spoken than it is to read text.

I had to add the "TO ME" to illustrate a point.  It's your personal taste.  I prefer to read and use my imagination.  I prefer books to movies.  I am in the minority as I've stated above.  

Why do people prefer to watch movies and have text read to them?  Do they lack imagination?  Are they just lazy?  Are they poor readers?  Does it aid in their immersion to have a voice affixed to the text in a predetermined tone?  I don't know.  I just know what works best for me.  

I can read faster than the voice acting will be done and would prefer to.  One of the biggest detractors of this game FOR ME is that I will spend a portion of my gaming time waiting for a story that I could have already read and processed for myself in my own time.   I would just as soon have them use the resources for content generation.

I really hate that term. It implies we do not all like being gratified when looking for entertainment.

That's not what it means at all.  It means that gratification is delayed.  I like to save the best for last. Some like to have the best first.  I would contend that you can predict the likelihood of which a person prefers being based on their generation.  There are measurable generational differences in preference.  I'm not just making this up.  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:11:40 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9696 on: August 29, 2011, 07:17:55 AM

I believe that term is used by those who feel regret in spending hours of non-fun in games to achieve something. Its a derogatory term that replaces "back in my day". Where some feel that the iniquities of older games were a grand vision and are now a badge of honor, instead what it really was: lacking precedence, tech, or other modern features.

It generally adds nothing to a design discussion.

/flamesuit

As far as reading text, I have always assumed that the act of reading something, the draw was using your own imagination to create the visuals. Most have slightly different visions of Moria when reading the LOTR, common descriptions to base on, but the details and Visuals will differ, for example. I have always found it odd that in a visual media, especially one that can now be so cinematic, it still persists. Long have writers themselves envisioned "Holodecks" and "VR" in novels that would one day change the craft. The push for interactive and interactive narrative.

If we were still gaming in text lines, I would agree with you.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:25:01 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9697 on: August 29, 2011, 07:23:00 AM

I'd love to see the statistics on the ages of drivers involved in text-messaging related car accidents (normalized for all drivers that use texting with a certain frequency).  That's a prime example of a lack of delayed gratification. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9698 on: August 29, 2011, 07:25:50 AM

Texting an example of smarter communication tech. ( Accidents aside ) To the point, many NEW phones now have Voice to text and hands free use.

Counter: Are street lights a bad idea, and was it better before them?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:29:23 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9699 on: August 29, 2011, 07:28:33 AM

Texting an example of smarter communication tech. ( Accidents aside ) To the point, many NEW phones now have Voice to text and hands free use.

Counter: Are street lights a bad idea, and it was better before them?

So you're saying that games with faster rewards are necessarily better games?

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9700 on: August 29, 2011, 07:30:08 AM

Counter: Are street lights a bad idea, and it was better before them?

So you're saying that games with faster rewards are necessarily better games?

No, that games that reward or enforce fun, achievement, and ping our inherent need to be successful are not bad games. They can still have plenty of challenge.

( I'm sure this is all very odd considering the game I am working on. But I can assure you the changes in this direction I have nudged along have been positive, not just in terms of $$)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:33:53 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9701 on: August 29, 2011, 07:34:08 AM

Using cheat codes and hint sites isn't fun for me either, yet they're also quite popular.   I contend they're also a symptom of both poor design and instant gratification.  Defining "fun" is part of the issue with our disagreement.  What you and I find fun may be vastly different.

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9702 on: August 29, 2011, 07:35:45 AM

Some people are cheaters, but its their dime. Do note how I worded my response, I said they are not bad games.

A great example of games with constant reinforcement and challenge is one of the most loved titles of all time.

The Diablo series. Reinforcement can come in the form of a satisfying  "splat", an exciting "chain" of effects to actions, or a constant stream of loot, or a voice over claiming you are the one. The list goes on.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:43:37 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9703 on: August 29, 2011, 07:47:37 AM

Sept 2nd is the start of the beta weekends, looks like a lot more people are going to be in soon.

Wait.. so what are beta weekends?

As far as cheat codes: I use 'em unabashedly and agree it's because of poor design most times.  Other times it's because I just don't give enough of a damn to "learn to master" your game and I just want to get to the end.   

Games without cheats that are hard just for the hell of it tend to become unfinished games that I regret purchasing.   I think the original God of War was the last game I actually finished despite being a bitch in places even when you dumbed it down to "easy" mode.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #9704 on: August 29, 2011, 07:51:19 AM

Sept 2nd is the start of the beta weekends, looks like a lot more people are going to be in soon.

If a lot is defined by the previous usage of the word by BW, I think a lot of us are still gonna be waiting...wish they would just throw out a number.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9705 on: August 29, 2011, 07:51:44 AM

Its a weekend where people moan about having to download a 182 torabyte client only to lag out in the newbie starting zones.
Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #9706 on: August 29, 2011, 08:00:59 AM

I believe that term is used by those who feel regret in spending hours of non-fun in games to achieve something. Its a derogatory term that replaces "back in my day". Where some feel that the iniquities of older games were a grand vision and are now a badge of honor, instead what it really was: lacking precedence, tech, or other modern features.

It generally adds nothing to a design discussion.

/flamesuit

As far as reading text, I have always assumed that the act of reading something, the draw was using your own imagination to create the visuals. Most have slightly different visions of Moria when reading the LOTR, common descriptions to base on, but the details and Visuals will differ, for example. I have always found it odd that in a visual media, especially one that can now be so cinematic, it still persists. Long have writers themselves envisioned "Holodecks" and "VR" in novels that would one day change the craft. The push for interactive and interactive narrative.

If we were still gaming in text lines, I would agree with you.

I agree with Nebu.  When I play Dragon Age or The Witcher I click through the dialogue as fast as I can read it.  This is partly because I'm hyperactive and want to get through it as fast as possible -- although I always do read all the quest text, even in MMOs -- and partly because I prefer reading.  I would much rather read the dialogue then listen to a voice performance and watch the (always bad, because of the volume that are required) animations.  It's a cinematic medium, but the graphics during dialogue scenes in modern rpgs  are just a bunch of talking heads, sometimes with a little bit of camera movement.  The other big difference between games and other visual media is the amount of content -- I would be willing to watch and listen to all the dialogue in a 2 hour game, but in a 10 hour (or much longer) game it gets old fast.  I read a lot of thousand page novels but I don't watch very many 8 hour movies.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9707 on: August 29, 2011, 08:27:13 AM

So....don't play for 8 hours straight?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9708 on: August 29, 2011, 08:30:12 AM

It's not smarter, it's just instant.  What's so damn important that they can't wait ten minutes to communicate with someone?  Nothing, but they've come to expect everything getting done this instant.

You're trying to redefine "instant gratification" so that you're not slapped with what you consider a derogatory term.  It's not wrong, in and of itself, it's just different.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9709 on: August 29, 2011, 08:31:05 AM

So....don't play for 8 hours straight?

And you call yourself a MMO player.  You poser!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #9710 on: August 29, 2011, 08:42:29 AM

I believe we should all agree to institute the use of Bw = Bioware because every time I see BW (Bloodworth) I start back paging to find the god damn picture.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9711 on: August 29, 2011, 08:58:25 AM

I don't associate Voice overs and cinematic scenes with "instant gratification". That's a different topic. Reading to many is a hobby, it won't go away, but as a digital medium its going to evolve and likely move away from using purely text delivery, its already happened in the single player space, and will bleed into shared games going forward. Mostly because the tech and processes now allow for it. Sure, some games will then go back and add text to capture that nostalgia, but they may also likely be littered with achievements, loots and satisfying splats.

Texting is Smarter, less bandwidth, more stable, and its instant.  I don't see how thats not a smarter mode of communication for most uses. The only thing I see are "up hill both ways" arguments. The next technologically will come along and this generation will think its also an abomination, no fighting nostalgia.

I'm not redefining anything, in game design there is just no real thing as instant gratification IMO. There is the reinforcement of success or there is the punishment of failure. Reinforcing peoples need to achieve success is not a bad design. Some games can go to far in frequency and some can come short, its a personal preference in that regard.  We are talking about entertainment media here, not life choices.  Early gaming did not necessarily make you start a level over because that was part of the challenge, it makes you start over because the state machine could not be stopped or saved. Its true that NOW such mechanics are Game layer design decisions, not platform level decisions. Achievements are a good example of reinforcement that has become standard as we move forward. For many they ping that inherent human need to be praised for actions. This does not remove challenge from games, I believe this is why the term is so thrown around. There is this need to make sure people know what they are doing is wrong, easy, and non-challenging. Its simply not true. Reinforcement does not remove challenge in games. While its true some games ARE built to not be challenging in the traditional sense, its wrong to label all games as such. Especially when many older titles do the same thing modern ones do, just with less frequency. Like I said, its typically used to describe things that are "not like the old days", not much more. Most times, ignoring the lack of tech or precedence that made many early game designs, not some grand design, but a feature of necessity.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:59:56 AM by Mrbloodworth »

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #9712 on: August 29, 2011, 09:49:43 AM

Open beta where the servers are only up for the weekends apparently. At PAX it was stated not to be pre-order exclusive and should allow more and more people in over the weekends in September.

Still waiting for official post so take it with a grain of salt   Ohhhhh, I see.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #9713 on: August 29, 2011, 09:57:54 AM

I don't associate Voice overs and cinematic scenes with "instant gratification". That's a different topic. Reading to many is a hobby, it won't go away, but as a digital medium its going to evolve and likely move away from using purely text delivery, its already happened in the single player space, and will bleed into shared games going forward. Mostly because the tech and processes now allow for it. Sure, some games will then go back and add text to capture that nostalgia, but they may also likely be littered with achievements, loots and satisfying splats.

Texting is Smarter, less bandwidth, more stable, and its instant.  I don't see how thats not a smarter mode of communication for most uses. The only thing I see are "up hill both ways" arguments. The next technologically will come along and this generation will think its also an abomination, no fighting nostalgia.

I'm not redefining anything, in game design there is just no real thing as instant gratification IMO. There is the reinforcement of success or there is the punishment of failure. Reinforcing peoples need to achieve success is not a bad design. Some games can go to far in frequency and some can come short, its a personal preference in that regard.  We are talking about entertainment media here, not life choices.  Early gaming did not necessarily make you start a level over because that was part of the challenge, it makes you start over because the state machine could not be stopped or saved. Its true that NOW such mechanics are Game layer design decisions, not platform level decisions. Achievements are a good example of reinforcement that has become standard as we move forward. For many they ping that inherent human need to be praised for actions. This does not remove challenge from games, I believe this is why the term is so thrown around. There is this need to make sure people know what they are doing is wrong, easy, and non-challenging. Its simply not true. Reinforcement does not remove challenge in games. While its true some games ARE built to not be challenging in the traditional sense, its wrong to label all games as such. Especially when many older titles do the same thing modern ones do, just with less frequency. Like I said, its typically used to describe things that are "not like the old days", not much more. Most times, ignoring the lack of tech or precedence that made many early game designs, not some grand design, but a feature of necessity.

When people talk about "instant gratification", they don't just mean that the subject instantly received their positive reinforcement reward. "Instant" versus "delayed" gratification refers to the subject's own ability to decide when to go after the reward, not to the speed with which the system grants the reward.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9714 on: August 29, 2011, 10:17:17 AM

That would be why I said frequency. I personally believe the best games have reinforcements in small pips with larger hits at milestones. However, those that talk about it as if it impacts the challenge of a game, you know, the "work for it" types, I feel are just wrong. They are not linked things. You can have a high frequency of reinforcements to the point of it looking like a script playing a MUD ( Cheater with text? ), and still have the hardiest game in the world.

Many times when this term is thrown around on forums, and if it comes up in a design discussion. Its used to ( and I'm exaggerating here ) mean that on boot up, they see an "You win" screen and are now done with the game. Its used to mean a game is shallow, and has no challenge or you are unable to fail ( And by that, They mean harshly ).

When Nebu brought up the term, I found it a bit odd he was arguing that he could read faster than a scene would play out, but in the same breath demeaning "those dam kids and there instant gratification".

Little odd to argue that you want to be able to get through something faster and claim reward ( Even if that reward is completion of the scene ), while shaking a stick at the youngins who take the time to watch the scene.

/derail
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:19:08 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9715 on: August 29, 2011, 10:47:04 AM

When Nebu brought up the term, I found it a bit odd he was arguing that he could read faster than a scene would play out, but in the same breath demeaning "those dam kids and there instant gratification".

Little odd to argue that you want to be able to get through something faster and claim reward ( Even if that reward is completion of the scene ), while shaking a stick at the youngins who take the time to watch the scene.

/derail

Go back a little further and read some of my earlier posts.  My point about instant gratification was aimed at those MMO gamers that had zero interest in story and voice acting in MMOs.  My point was that these things will be wasted investment on the majority of MMO gamers, particularly those migrating from WoW, because most gamers could give a shit about story and prefer to blaze ahead and grab their reward.  

My point about personally waiting for a voiceover to finish was that I a) prefer to read and use my imagination and b) prefer to decide how my gaming time gets utilized.  When I'm forced to sit through a cinematic or a voiceover, the game is deciding for me.  I'd rather read the text and get back to exploring/killing.  Of course, that's because it's the aspect I enjoy most.  

When people talk about "instant gratification", they don't just mean that the subject instantly received their positive reinforcement reward. "Instant" versus "delayed" gratification refers to the subject's own ability to decide when to go after the reward, not to the speed with which the system grants the reward.

Thank you!

-  Mark Twain
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #9716 on: August 29, 2011, 10:50:37 AM

Open beta where the servers are only up for the weekends apparently. At PAX it was stated not to be pre-order exclusive and should allow more and more people in over the weekends in September
Awesome. I'm really looking forward to the NDA dropping.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #9717 on: August 29, 2011, 10:58:43 AM

Although mostly everyone skipped past quest text in WoW, I don't think people will do it as much in SWTOR because it's voice acted and it'll actually be fun to listen to whereas NPC #132 giving me some slightly reworded spiel about collecting gizzards is about as fun as watching paint dry.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9718 on: August 29, 2011, 11:07:03 AM

Go back a little further and read some of my earlier posts.  My point about instant gratification was aimed at those MMO gamers that had zero interest in story and voice acting in MMOs.  My point was that these things will be wasted investment on the majority of MMO gamers, particularly those migrating from WoW, because most gamers could give a shit about story and prefer to blaze ahead and grab their reward.  

My point about personally waiting for a voiceover to finish was that I a) prefer to read and use my imagination and b) prefer to decide how my gaming time gets utilized.  When I'm forced to sit through a cinematic or a voiceover, the game is deciding for me.  I'd rather read the text and get back to exploring/killing.  Of course, that's because it's the aspect I enjoy most.  

So, you ARE "those MMO gamers that had zero interest in story and voice acting in MMOs" Therefor you wish to "blaze ahead and grab their reward"?

Just asking, because you just described two actions that are not different.

Azuredream, thats what I Said too!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #9719 on: August 29, 2011, 11:07:55 AM

I'm really looking forward to the NDA dropping.

I'm actually not.  We pretty much already know this is going to be WoW in space.  We've already perceived the combat mechanics and gameplay based on the run-through videos and cake made available.  The only thing the NDA dropping would do is legally unbind testers from ranting about how BW isn't doing Star Wars the "way they would do Star Wars."  Plus the whole "spoil the 4th column of Story" thing.

I say keep it up to the bitter end.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9720 on: August 29, 2011, 11:33:22 AM

The only thing I see are "up hill both ways" arguments.

Agreed with BW here. If your argument rests on "people now aren't like people X years ago" it is almost certainly inherently flawed. People X years ago would behave exactly the same as people now do, given the same environment.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9721 on: August 29, 2011, 11:43:16 AM

So, you ARE "those MMO gamers that had zero interest in story and voice acting in MMOs" Therefor you wish to "blaze ahead and grab their reward"?

Not at all.  I am the "I would rather read it then have it read to me" crowd.  I prefer books to movies.  

Agreed with BW here. If your argument rests on "people now aren't like people X years ago" it is almost certainly inherently flawed. People X years ago would behave exactly the same as people now do, given the same environment.

Generational differences exist and are measurable.  Don't attribute that to me.  It's a social science construct.

I'm sorry I ever started this derail.  My apologies. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:45:06 AM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9722 on: August 29, 2011, 11:46:25 AM

Don't be. I enjoyed it. I don't think we were disagreeing per-say. Just a few crossed concepts.

But it is likely a debate for another thread. 300 here we come.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9723 on: August 29, 2011, 11:47:06 AM

So Open Beta this weekend!?!?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9724 on: August 29, 2011, 11:50:15 AM

They better announce it soon.  If I started downloading now, I might have it finished by Friday.   why so serious?

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9725 on: August 29, 2011, 11:51:12 AM

People X years ago would behave exactly the same as people now do, given the same environment.
I believe the environment is a big part of generation gaps. And X years ago there would have been a new older generation to compare it to.

Nebs is right on this one, kids may be kids, but they don't stay kids and the effect is a moving target based on environment.

I heard the beta client is delivered via black helicopters. The budget is so big they had to hire on Halliburton subsidiaries.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9726 on: August 29, 2011, 11:57:56 AM

You know, they could be clicking accept because once you do one MMO quest...well.... Whats to read?

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #9727 on: August 29, 2011, 11:59:01 AM

They better announce it soon.  If I started downloading now, I might have it finished by Friday.   why so serious?

I hear you! Here's my current downloading machine, they better hurry indeed :/

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9728 on: August 29, 2011, 12:01:37 PM

You know, they could be clicking accept because once you do one MMO quest...well.... Whats to read?

I have to say, I think that you just won our debate.  I can't argue with you at all on that one.

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9729 on: August 29, 2011, 12:06:38 PM

I have to say, I think that you just won our debate.  I can't argue with you at all on that one.

Now we are back to including cinematic and VO presentations.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I know the Book quests in LOTRO were my fave, I stopped reading the boar quests.

Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: