Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 01:18:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - for real 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood Bowl - for real  (Read 253669 times)
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #420 on: July 13, 2009, 10:17:46 AM

The other balancing thing is if you go below 11 players you get a free journeyman lineman. That player has loner so is not great and won't skill up but you will never start a game with less than 11 people so you will at very least always be fielding a full team no matter how bad you get mauled.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying, but I didn't get a lineman, I got a goatman.  I lost my mino, and had purchased exactly 11 to start, leaving me with 10.  I still had 4 linemen (chaos warriors).  When the game startd it looked like I had an extra goatman, not an extra lineman.  For Chaos, goatmen are the scrubs.

In most teams, Linemen are the scrubs. You get the equivalent of that for free - so you get Beastmen, I'd get a Skink and so forth.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #421 on: July 13, 2009, 02:12:00 PM

Anyone who plays Dwarves well available on Wednesday for some practice w/ 1k teams?  I've got a West Coast league game on Thursday and I need to practice the matchup.   awesome, for real

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: July 13, 2009, 04:56:59 PM

I found a flaw of a direct port from table top:

No balancing/nerfing (Could be a quality, I can't decide).

Look at the top 50 teams, Wood Elf a ridiculous.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: July 13, 2009, 06:12:38 PM

P.S: Comstar, with an avatar like that it was a shame for you to be Bloodbowl-less! Welcome to the League (and join the Steam group).

I looked back a few pages and can't find the name for both the League or the Steam Group?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: July 13, 2009, 07:07:32 PM

Steam group, just do a search for f13 and pick the groups results.

And yeah, it seems that Wood Elves are somewhat unbalanced in terms of their ability to capitalise on opponent's mistakes/unlucky rolls to make a quick touch down. I don't think the imbalance is enormous though, in general the better coach is going to win and other teams are capable of ruining their opponent's line up. Game balance wise that doesn't matter though because Wood Elves can still manage to get a luck TD in 2 turns with 5 players left on the field, if they're being played well and are reasonably lucky with the dice rolls. I'd guess that's why they're generally doing better in the Leagues.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #425 on: July 13, 2009, 07:12:19 PM

Ignore the public league rankings. They're gamed to shit.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #426 on: July 13, 2009, 07:48:21 PM

Also remember that a Wood Elf team is punished by people in the league killing their players.  Public league players just reroll the team until they get 5 or 6 wins w/ no bad injuries.  You don't get that option in a closed league any injury is one you have to deal with.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: July 13, 2009, 08:06:29 PM

The thrust of the complaints with the game being centered around the public league rankings is irritating. I don't want to be all fanboy here (and I'd love some decent matchmaking) but the meat of the game was always going to be the private leagues. Fuck, I didn't even know there was going to be a public league at all until I got the game.

So the pubbie rankings are false, cheated, oh the forums we're crying blah, blah, blah fuck you Frenchie, go make some friends and shut the fuck up. You weren't going to place first out of 30000 teams anyway.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #428 on: July 14, 2009, 12:58:33 AM

F13 Bloodbowlers Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/f13bb

The purpose of the group is just to tell at a quick glance who is online of the Bloodbowlers and maybe throw him a game invite, out of the game (in game messaging sucks beyond recognition).

I repeat the MANDATORY protip: Go to option and uncheck fullscreen, play windowed. As long as it's the same resolution as your desktop it'll look fullscreen as it's a borderless window. And ALT+TAB will finally work. Perfect for Steam communication while playing.

P.S: Any game #4 going?
P.S.2: IainC, we can make it thursday yes. Just let me know what's the better time for you. Say, 7pm GMT? Later? Earlier?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:00:43 AM by Falconeer »

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: July 14, 2009, 06:14:52 AM

I found a flaw of a direct port from table top:

No balancing/nerfing (Could be a quality, I can't decide).

Look at the top 50 teams, Wood Elf a ridiculous.

Woodelf teams are the best scorers in the game bar none. If you don't let them get the ball back however its pretty easy to win against one. Their team is SQUISHY they are very strong at the start of the league due to their high starting abilities. Once they face one of the more brawling teams though typically they are checked pretty quickly due to their players being VERY expensive and very easy to injure kill. In one game against a wood elf player in the league at the end of the game when I scored my last TD of the game to win with my lizards my opponent had 1 lineman left on the field. Every other person on his team was in the injured or KO'ed box.

Honestly in playing them more and more I am surpised people would even try them in a league. The longer you play the farther they will fall behind as their players get destroyed by chaos/lizards and orks. Scoring in 2 turns is all fun and games but once the opponent gets the ball and decides to sit on it the tricky part is getting the weak and low armored guys in there to kick the ball out again. VS my lizards its a near complete wall of STR 4 lizards so everything is throwing 2 or 3 dice against the wood elves and when they try to push my guys around they are throwing two dice my pick constantly.

The tactic for a brawling team if at all possible let them get the ball first. They will get it and they will get a turn 2 TD almost guaranteed. Once you get the ball cage up and spend the next 3 or 4 turns just killing people and if they are not being agressive moving slowly down the field. Basically you want to score only on the 8th turn.

On the second half you will then get the ball back probably with a bunch of their guys KO'ed so now grab the ball cage up and spend the next 8 turns BREAKING THEM. by the end of the game unless they give up and run away you will have killed or maimed half their team and won the game 2-1.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: July 14, 2009, 08:37:47 AM

Wait, why does that Steam Group not have me in it ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: July 14, 2009, 08:42:43 AM

Ironwood, I posted that link like 4 times. I felt redundant every time I've done it, and still I knew you weren't in it and I was wondering if you were expecting some sort of payment to join.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #432 on: July 14, 2009, 08:45:44 AM

I really quite like Wood Elf teams but not having played it in a private league and since the computer doesn't really concentrate on trying to kill as many players as it can I'm not sure how survivable they'll be. That said properly played Wood Elves really shouldn't be giving their opponents too many opportunities to bash their players. Defence all comes down to trying to force the opponent to make as many tackle checks as possible if they want to try moving the ball player and hoping that they trip up when the ball player's exposed since if you can get your hands on the ball there's a good chance you'll be able to score.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: July 14, 2009, 09:13:15 AM

My brother was playing a team where he gave just about every motherfucking elf on his team Fend. It was incredibly obnoxious.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: July 14, 2009, 06:18:57 PM

Cadaverine vs Typhon came out 1-0.  Many injuries were were had, mostly by Chaos, who couldn't catch a break the first half.

I stand by my belief that the dice are biased.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: July 14, 2009, 06:24:40 PM

Anyone who plays Dwarves well available on Wednesday for some practice w/ 1k teams?  I've got a West Coast league game on Thursday and I need to practice the matchup.   awesome, for real

Depending on the time, I can throw together a new Dwarf team, and play a practice match, or three.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: July 14, 2009, 06:27:14 PM

Again, if you judge by my track record, Chaos are the biggest bunch of pussies out there.  4 injuries before the first half.  NONE of those injuries got up for the second half.  NONE of those injuries got up when Cad scored.  Then two more injuries after that.  Fortunately Cad's luck had pretty much gone into the crapper by this point or it would have been 3-0.

Having to wait unitl season two or three... or five or six, to have a squad that doesn't blow is an odd design choice, imo.

My teams value is 800 right now.  Nice.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: July 14, 2009, 06:49:36 PM

Modern Angel, what's your steam name?
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: July 14, 2009, 07:12:59 PM

Brocktoon

I have a scheduled game in a different league at 6 eastern tomorrow and curry to cook and serve until 8:30 or so. I can play after however.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: July 14, 2009, 07:25:53 PM

Ok, 9 PM tomorrow?
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #440 on: July 14, 2009, 07:36:30 PM

I always enjoyed playing against Wood Elves with my Orcs. Of course, I play Orcs with an Orcish mentality, in that the winner of the game isn't always the team who got the most touchdowns.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: July 14, 2009, 08:22:44 PM

Ok, 9 PM tomorrow?

I will be there. I'd suggest bringing a couple extra body bags. My dwarves are feeling mean.  why so serious?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: July 15, 2009, 12:29:15 AM

Ironwood, I posted that link like 4 times. I felt redundant every time I've done it, and still I knew you weren't in it and I was wondering if you were expecting some sort of payment to join.

No, I mean that's now about 3 times I've gone to steam and pressed the JOIN GROUP button.

I was thinking it needed someone to nominate me or something, because it just plain doesn't work.

swamp poop Ohhhhh, I see.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: July 15, 2009, 12:31:25 AM

Annnnnd Now it works first time.

Making me look like a cock.

Hmmmm.

I'll take that payment now though.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: July 15, 2009, 03:03:28 AM

My teams value is 800 right now.  Nice.

That Star Player is closer and closer. Are you planning to field it against me?  awesome, for real

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: July 15, 2009, 07:27:33 AM

I'm pretty sure he used the Star Player Mino in our match.  I didn't notice him being any better than a normal minotaur, to be honest.  Then, from my experiences with the big guys, they're generally fairly useless for their price compared to another Blitzer, or Blocker.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: July 15, 2009, 08:21:43 AM

I always enjoyed playing against Wood Elves with my Orcs. Of course, I play Orcs with an Orcish mentality, in that the winner of the game isn't always the team who got the most touchdowns.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
I just played a game in the public "league". My Chaos team (Murder Squad) against a Wood Elf team. I won 2-1.  Ohhhhh, I see.

His only player left standing was the tree thing.  swamp poop

I killed 1 and injured 8 his players.  ACK!

And now I got claws.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: July 15, 2009, 10:18:32 AM

The main advantage to the star player mino/rat ogre/trolls is they are not damn morons so you can count on the big bad ass to do what you tell him to do. 
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: July 15, 2009, 10:57:44 AM

Claws on a minotaur is just about the most frightening thing in the goddamned game. They're dumb UNLESS they're blitzing/blocking. So just blitz them everywhere. It'll be fine.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: July 15, 2009, 01:00:22 PM

Claws on a minotaur is just about the most frightening thing in the goddamned game. They're dumb UNLESS they're blitzing/blocking. So just blitz them everywhere. It'll be fine.

I understand that claws help with injuring people, but could you explain to me how ? Math is hard, you know  awesome, for real

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: July 15, 2009, 01:15:17 PM

The target's armor is capped at 6. I think it's 6. Someone will correct me. But they get Mighty Blow, Claws... that's a killing machine right there.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: July 15, 2009, 02:34:35 PM

Yeah, some of the stats geeks on the official forums were reviewing mighty blow vs. claws and both improve chances of injuring with claws having the edge when you get to AV 9 players. Both together make it massively more likely that you're going to be injuring opposition players.

Hoth
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: July 15, 2009, 02:49:16 PM

Got this game today and started playing. Will join the steamgroup and hope for a few matches versus you guys and of course a bit of nice leagueplay.
My chaosteam lost it's first match but at least harvested a good amount of skavenheads.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: July 15, 2009, 02:51:10 PM

Yeah, some of the stats geeks on the official forums were reviewing mighty blow vs. claws and both improve chances of injuring with claws having the edge when you get to AV 9 players. Both together make it massively more likely that you're going to be injuring opposition players.

That's where it's ugly since Minotaurs get Mighty Blow by default.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: July 15, 2009, 04:32:29 PM

That's where it's ugly since Minotaurs get Mighty Blow by default.

I gave mine block, because I rolled a double.  awesome, for real

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - for real  
Jump to: