Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Cute Pictures thread 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 91 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cute Pictures thread  (Read 1018736 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1120 on: May 09, 2011, 03:12:32 PM

What do you do with them while they hibernate?

He picked a good spot and dug himself a decent hole, so we just left him alone.  In retrospect due to the record cold winter we had, I probably should have moved him inside and stuck him in a cardboard box and stuffed him in the crawl space.  If I was a better owner, I would have built him a shelter.  But the chances are he'd ignore it and build his own hole and it's difficult to actually get any house projects done with an infant/toddler around.

Cats left him alone.  No major predators end up in our backyard that would mess with him.  Pretty sure he's alive since he got up and moved to a less protected spot about a month and a half ago.

Hmm, the internets say he should be awake by now.  Perhaps I'll see if I can bother him tonight.  I just thought I should leave him alone and the whole nature thing would sort itself out.  He had been doing the whole hiberanation thing on his own at my mother-in-law's for the past few years without incident.  

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1121 on: May 09, 2011, 05:03:24 PM

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do about a hibernating aquatic turtle.  I'll google it in September.

We changed out his nasty-ass water and he is sitting in it with his eyes closed like it burns.  Yes, I put the de-chlorinator in it.  I suppose it's a big change moving into clean water from a soup of crickets, mealworms, and your own piss and shit.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1122 on: May 09, 2011, 05:09:58 PM

Can't please everyone.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1123 on: May 09, 2011, 05:10:19 PM

Perhaps it's bliss.

A turtle with a snail riding on him from my Georgia adventure. I had to help him across the road as he hissed like a kettle.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1124 on: May 09, 2011, 05:21:16 PM

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do about a hibernating aquatic turtle.  I'll google it in September.

We changed out his nasty-ass water and he is sitting in it with his eyes closed like it burns.  Yes, I put the de-chlorinator in it.  I suppose it's a big change moving into clean water from a soup of crickets, mealworms, and your own piss and shit.

How long did the water sit after you put the dechlorinator in it?  I imagine anything that applies to fish would work for the turtle, meaning it's supposed to sit for 24 hours, I believe.  He should have something to crawl out on to as well, shouldn't he?  I didn't think box turtles spent 100% in the water.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1125 on: May 09, 2011, 05:50:30 PM

A turtle with a snail riding on him from my Georgia adventure. I had to help him across the road as he hissed like a kettle.

That reminds me of my roommate's adventures in caring for the local wildlife. She was coming home down the country road to her house in South Carolina and saw a pretty decent size turtle in the road. As this was one of those back roads, she stopped to save it from being ran over at 70mph. As she did so, the thing turned on her and charged... ended up attacking her all the way back into the car and then attacked the front spoiler. Turns out it was a 30lb alligator turtle heading back to the creek near by. Funny shit since she had never encountered one before then and had only seen a snapping turtle once before...and that was a hatchling. Needless to say she doesn't stop for those anymore... box turtles however, are a different story as even I will stop and relocate those. Less danger of loosing an appendage with those.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1126 on: May 09, 2011, 08:16:58 PM

Oh man, she's lucky.  Alligator snappers are nasty.

Box turtles should mostly have dry land.  (I can't remember if they should have any water beyond drinking, but it's been years since I cared for one.)  Aquatic turtles like sliders, soft shells, and mud turtles can live pretty much indefinitely in water, though they do like a good log or rock so they can climb out and sun themselves.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1127 on: May 09, 2011, 10:05:02 PM

Believe that is a red-eared slider, not a box turtle in any case.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1128 on: May 10, 2011, 06:45:44 AM

It looks like some kind of pond slider, but not a red-eared.  Probably a yellow-bellied.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1129 on: May 10, 2011, 09:04:42 AM

It's a slider, per my research.  I'll go with "yellow".

The bottle didn't say to let anything sit for 24 hours.  In fact, it's also to be put into reptile drinking water.  He seems fine now.  I look forward to smelling him until my son takes him to college.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1130 on: May 10, 2011, 10:25:06 AM

Wait....how bad can a little turtle stink?  One of my boys wants one.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1131 on: May 10, 2011, 10:29:44 AM

Not sure I can describe it.  Maybe you want a terrestrial instead of an aquatic.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #1132 on: May 10, 2011, 10:56:56 AM

Wait....how bad can a little turtle stink?  One of my boys wants one.

Tortoise don't smell like much of anything as long as their living area is cleaned up once in a while. Turtles can smell a bit funky but thats mainly due to how well their water is cleaned or not cleaned.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1133 on: May 10, 2011, 12:51:11 PM

I'm learning that the rate of cleaning needs to be "frequent".  Have to scoop out the food he doesn't eat, and the shit.  On the bright side, when I catch a moth or something in the house, I can just toss it into the aquarium. why so serious?

I haven't installed a filter yet because I'm pretty sure it will just get filled with krill, but I might try it.  He won't like the filter.

Long term, I'm thinking of getting a tank with a tap on the bottom.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1134 on: May 10, 2011, 01:55:34 PM

Yeah, aquatic turtles need a lot of water changes unless you've got a large pond, then you need to look for other solutions.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1135 on: May 10, 2011, 02:28:22 PM

Watch out for salmonella. Turtles are especially prone to transmit it.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1136 on: May 10, 2011, 02:28:32 PM

I'm learning that the rate of cleaning needs to be "frequent".  Have to scoop out the food he doesn't eat, and the shit.  On the bright side, when I catch a moth or something in the house, I can just toss it into the aquarium. why so serious?

I haven't installed a filter yet because I'm pretty sure it will just get filled with krill, but I might try it.  He won't like the filter.

Can't you just throw him back into the pool?  why so serious?

Confirmed that Ted the Tortoise is alive.  He was not inclined to wake up, however.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1137 on: May 10, 2011, 04:39:44 PM

Can't you just throw him back into the pool?  why so serious?

Confirmed that Ted the Tortoise is alive.  He was not inclined to wake up, however.

Might I suggest a poking stick?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1138 on: May 10, 2011, 05:06:41 PM

The bottle didn't say to let anything sit for 24 hours.  In fact, it's also to be put into reptile drinking water.  He seems fine now.  I look forward to smelling him until my son takes him to college.

vOv  I just recall reading the fish folks 'round here talking about letting the water sit for 24 hours prior to using it.

If these reptiles stink so much, I think I'm glad the son didn't win the lottery to take the class turtles home. I almost went and bought some, not now!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1139 on: May 10, 2011, 05:11:23 PM

vOv  I just recall reading the fish folks 'round here talking about letting the water sit for 24 hours prior to using it.

If these reptiles stink so much, I think I'm glad the son didn't win the lottery to take the class turtles home. I almost went and bought some, not now!

The "old school" way to dechol your water was leaving it sit for 24-48h. New chems can do it instantly. Now where did I put those cute pics?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1140 on: June 09, 2011, 06:26:50 AM

Mash potato kitty!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1141 on: June 09, 2011, 06:42:02 AM

Cats do like bowls.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1142 on: June 09, 2011, 07:01:39 AM

And warm mashed potatoes!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1143 on: June 09, 2011, 10:21:22 AM

I bet mashed potatoes are a pretty comfortable bed with the right body mass size ratio.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #1144 on: June 26, 2011, 01:47:41 AM

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1145 on: June 26, 2011, 02:15:18 PM

Oh man...is that yours?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #1146 on: June 26, 2011, 03:09:09 PM

No, someone else posted it on another forum, I just found it too cute to not repost.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1147 on: June 26, 2011, 06:57:44 PM

That is rather awesome at the same time given it's hamster friendly.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #1148 on: June 27, 2011, 01:11:56 AM

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1149 on: June 27, 2011, 06:09:19 AM

It has been so long since we had a kitten (we usually adopt +1yrs) that I forgot about how fast they grow.  Just amazing, looking at some of the pics where it nearly doubled in just a few weeks. 
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #1150 on: July 18, 2011, 10:16:07 PM

Oscar is 9 months old now... Still cute in a snuffleupagus kinda way.

And he's still a long way from fully grown  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? (currently weighs about 125 pounds)

He's very calm now (typical newf), so we're thinking of getting a kitten to keep him company.  evil

Poor thing.

Pics were from his first trip on a ferry (Cape May/Lewes). He was a little bit scared of the noises, so decided he'd come join me on my lap. Oof.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1151 on: July 18, 2011, 10:38:22 PM

125 isn't TOO far. <3 Newfs.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #1152 on: July 18, 2011, 10:50:19 PM

Well, his dad is around 180 lbs, so we'll see... We took him for some basic water-dog training this weekend with the regional tri-state newf club (did very well! Seriously considering trying for a water dog title with him in a year or so), and he is head-and-shoulders bigger than other newfs his age, although lean; he's still skinny under all that fur.

I am so glad we got a Newfoundland - I can't imagine us having any other kind of dog now.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1153 on: July 19, 2011, 05:31:18 AM

Thats a big dog!

Ill stick with cats, but he looks very loyal. We hope.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1154 on: July 19, 2011, 08:03:14 AM

One of the biggest "problems" with large dogs like that is they all seem to think they're lap dogs.  Which is fine when they are puppies but becomes silly when they get as big as Oscar, lol!

He's looking adorable!

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 91 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Cute Pictures thread  
Jump to: