Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 08:25:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 616064 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: February 16, 2014, 08:07:38 PM

They're a niche form now, that's for sure. Though they do sometimes still generate new characters who have potential to hold larger audiences in other media. Walking Dead is the most notable recent example of that but not the only one.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #561 on: February 17, 2014, 11:28:47 AM

Once you start writing for kids, you're buried by things established in that era.  Once you establish that glasses make a good disguise, you're stuck with it - even if the audience evolves into something where that would never be believed.  Once you start a policy against showing certain types of violence, you're stuck with it - even if the audience evolves to the point where not showing that violence is a bit odd.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: February 17, 2014, 12:26:58 PM

You don't have to show graphic violence in order to establish that actions of your characters can have problematic consequences. But if that is the conflict in your lead character, you have to have something act as the symbolic cost. I'm not saying the hulk has to kill bystanders, I'm saying for him to be interesting there has to be a cost, and even if that cost is civilian deaths, it doesn't stop him bring relatable.

Again, it comes down to decent writing.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #563 on: February 17, 2014, 01:53:15 PM

I think being the Hulk costs plenty.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #564 on: February 17, 2014, 02:11:19 PM

His pants budget alone is a killer.  why so serious?

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: February 17, 2014, 03:23:03 PM

I'm perfectly fine with the idea that the Hulk's rampages don't kill anyone, despite that obviously not making any sense. You can do a "realistic" take on the Hulk but that's just not the Hulk.

I also don't think you need any explanation about Banner calculations or some shit. "It's a comic book" is explanation enough.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: February 17, 2014, 03:32:05 PM

Or that superman generates an anti-gravity field thus enabling him to lift a battleship without splitting it in half or just punching a hole right through it? Yeah, comics don't need gritty realism at every turn, it's utter horseshit.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: February 18, 2014, 06:26:49 AM

While that's true, him picking up lake Comooga still bugs me.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: February 18, 2014, 12:09:21 PM

While that's true, him picking up lake Comooga still bugs me.

I can't stop laughing. He picked up a lake?  (still laughing) that's retarded.  I'm glad I don't know the story because it's cracking me up and I'm sure knowing the details would make it less silly more annoying.

(still laughing)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: February 18, 2014, 12:12:54 PM

You've never seen Superman 3 ?

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #570 on: February 18, 2014, 12:25:07 PM

No.  I'm not a Superman fan.  He just seems broken.  I don't hate him, he just seems like it's really hard to write a good story with someone that powerful.  Last Superman I felt motivated to see (and oddly, liked) was, coincidentally enough, the one with your General Zod (Superman II, I think).

Not even the lure of the ultra-violence in the latest Superman could break my ambivalence.  I figure at some point they'll put it on cable and I'll see bits and pieces of it then.
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: February 28, 2014, 06:23:10 AM

Professional Forum Lurker.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: February 28, 2014, 07:18:04 AM

It was "eh, kinda funny" until hawkeye and then I lost my shit.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: March 12, 2014, 12:27:17 PM

Sounds like they have a plan to put in 'Mutants by Another Name' into the MCU according to a spoiler from someone that saw footage. 

QS and SW will be amongst the first in this 'alternate explanation'.  It will be interesting to see how many additional Mutants make it into the MCU... and if other mutants that have spent considerable time in the Avengers now - including Wolverine? - are amongst them.  Could be bait for a fierce financial battle.

I also noted that in Tuesday's S.H.I.E.L.D. episode they referenced several races of aliens - including Skrulls, a race many considered to be linked to the FF rights.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #574 on: March 12, 2014, 02:09:39 PM

It's easy to get around 'mutants' by just never using the word or saying their genes were manipulated by outside forces, very earth X.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: March 14, 2014, 09:26:54 AM

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #576 on: March 14, 2014, 11:34:03 AM

I don't really understand why people believe Disney are barred from using the term 'mutant'. I've never seen anyone suggest this away from f13, and whenever I've seen any more informed article it has suggested that while the contract isn't public, 'persons familiar' have indicated it covers the xmen franchise in a non-specific way.

They can use scarlet witch or whoever because she is also in other franchises.

They probably could argue they could even use wolverine, though it would be a dumb idea for obvious reasons.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: March 14, 2014, 01:17:26 PM

Although the contracts are not public, there is a lot of evidence and informal talk stating that the word 'Mutant' (in the context of a label for a group of supes) is off limites in the MCU.  You'll see that they go out of their way to avoid it ... you'll see that very soon.  The mere fact that such an iconic Marvel word has not been used in MAoS or the movies is a pretty clear indication they can't use it.

They do play a bit loose with those restrictions.  They can't use Spidey or his key phrases - but they played around with it in the pilot what Skye has her own end for the phrase beginning, "With great power..."  I think the relationship between the studios is friendly and Marvel/Disney is going out of their way to keep it so.  They must be - else I think you'd be seeing a war pop up over rights.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: March 14, 2014, 01:37:03 PM

So there was a press screening for CA:TWS earlier this week. Everyone says it's amazing, perhaps the best Marvel movie yet. Someone talk me down from the hype.

With that much acclaim I'm almost positive it's a riff from not just TWS storyline but Fury vs. SHIELD (and possibly Nomad) as well. I wouldn't be mad though if it didn't include those things and was just a great movie.

http://screensavant.com/2014/03/12/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-early-reactions/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:41:53 PM by Raguel »
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: March 14, 2014, 02:15:07 PM

Some of us still remember the initial reactions and tweets about The Dark Knight Rises...

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: March 14, 2014, 04:46:32 PM

I've had high expectations for every Marvel film.  Some didn't quite hit my high expectations, but they were all close.  Even IM II and Incredible Hulk.

My high expectations for this film, however, have more to do with what they'll do for the S.H.I.E.L.D. show than for what the movie by itself will be.  I'm expecting that Season 2 of S.H.I.E.L.D. will be highly impacted by the events of the film... in a positive way. 

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #581 on: March 16, 2014, 01:47:16 AM

The Agents of SHIELD will have been upgraded from cleaning up the garbage of Thor: TDW to filing the paperwork following CA: TWS' events, I'm guessing.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: March 16, 2014, 01:26:03 PM

The Agents of SHIELD will have been upgraded from cleaning up the garbage of Thor: TDW to filing the paperwork following CA: TWS' events, I'm guessing.
I'll be red in the face if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling the events of Cap II will influence the entire next season of SHIELD, if not the entire series.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: March 19, 2014, 03:32:44 PM

MCU's Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver

There's also concept art from the Avengers 2 featuring Hulkbuster vs Hulk. Looks awesome.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #584 on: March 19, 2014, 03:50:47 PM

They were displayed on the Marvel Universe show last night that was aired instead of shield.  Looked pretty good, and I liked the story they were laying out.  Apparently Avengers2 will cause yet another upheaval in continuity so they can start "Phase 3"  One of them made reference to an Avengers movie being a "Bookend" to each phase.  though the more they talked the more I realized they are, in fact, aiming for an Infinity Gauntlet storyline, which will just be  awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: April 04, 2014, 02:48:38 PM

If you're curious how far the tenative plans stretch: 2028 - nearly 15 years.

There’s a map of films reaching far into the next decade on the wall of Feige’s office. “It’s like looking through the Hubble telescope. You go, ‘What’s happening back there? I can sort of see it,’ ” he laughs. “They printed out a new one recently that went to 2028.”

http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/192489-kevin-feige-marvels-superhero-at-running-movie-franchises

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: May 02, 2014, 11:27:12 AM

Interesting article about Sony Entertainment / Spiderman

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303948104579533552594660962

Sony is banking hard on Spiderman 2 and sequels/spinoffs down the line. The studio head sounds like a retard tho, my favourite: "The studio recently selected its big summer bet of 2015: "Pixels," an action-comedy that combines videogame characters with actor Adam Sandler, a longtime favorite of Ms. Pascal. It is also fast-tracking a live-action comedy based on the Barbie doll."

So yeah ...

Buzz on this upcoming movie seems pretty lukewarm, if it disappoints maybe Sony will consider throwing in the towel and selling the license back to Disney/Marvel I am guessing for some cash + a revenue share of a few films or something. Sony overall is having a pretty rough go of it recently, could use the cash.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: May 02, 2014, 12:10:01 PM

Adam Sandler is an immediate WILL NOT WATCH.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: May 02, 2014, 12:33:06 PM

...Buzz on this upcoming movie seems pretty lukewarm, if it disappoints maybe Sony will consider throwing in the towel and selling the license back to Disney/Marvel I am guessing for some cash + a revenue share of a few films or something. Sony overall is having a pretty rough go of it recently, could use the cash.
Saw some of it at a private event last night, unexpectedly.  From the bits I saw, I agree with the current reviews: It is a pretty good Spider-man in a pretty bad movie.  

They got the main character right, but the universe surrounding him wrong.  Spider-man's rogue's gallery of 60s and 70s designed villians is hard to do.  They failed. 

I think that Sony would be much better off licensing back the rights to Disney in exchange for a portion of revenue.  The contracts would be difficult to put together, but the character would benefit from shedding the universe they assembled around him and replacing it with the MCU.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: May 02, 2014, 03:57:09 PM

I don't think Marvel can make an offer that would be greater than the profit Sony would make from mediocre Spidey films.

If I were Sony I'd 'loan' out Spidey for an extended surprise cameo in one or two Marvel movies.  They would get some cash and could raise awareness to go see the next Sony Spiderman movie.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: May 03, 2014, 09:13:39 AM

Why on earth would Disney agree to that? They have more characters than they can use already.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: May 03, 2014, 09:28:24 AM

Not to mention disney does own spiderman in all but the movie version.  Disney has the new infinity marvel figures coming out and spiderman is one of them.  Movie popularity will only help the toy sales, it's essentially free advertising.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: May 03, 2014, 05:17:05 PM

I don't think Marvel can make an offer that would be greater than the profit Sony would make from mediocre Spidey films.

Yeah. These Spider-Man movies bring in like $600 million plus just in box office. So they must be making around $350 million in profit, before you even get into DVD / HBO / etc.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: May 03, 2014, 11:47:26 PM

If Spider-man were executed as well as IM was, it would dwarf the ASM and IM III numbers. The character is more popular than IM is. In the hands of a good caretaker,  it would rival or exceed Avengers.... not be less than half the box office. That is why it would make sense to license it back to the people that can cross promote it.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #594 on: May 04, 2014, 12:00:46 AM

If Spider-man were executed as well as IM was, it would dwarf the ASM and IM III numbers.

You have absolutely no evidence to back that up. Quality is in no way an indicator of box office success. See the Star Wars prequels for proof.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: