Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:18:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 233 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War  (Read 1969618 times)
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6825 on: February 02, 2010, 03:39:25 PM

To be fair the directors scrambled pretty quick to get people's shit out and give some semblance of continuity.  Darius/Mittani made a couple of bad calls but they were fighting scores of fires all over the place so that's forgivable.  The general sperging is 100% down to Karttoon and his refusal to resign after having clearly lost the confidence of the membership and if you read between the lines the directorate too.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #6826 on: February 02, 2010, 03:43:31 PM

Agreed. Interestingly though I don't think the 'community' sees Mittens and DJ as representative of management right now. Or maybe they do, I really don't know shit. Fun times though.

On an unrelated note, I'm surprised at some Goons who come across as borderline deranged on gf.com are actually pretty chill and helpful on TS/in fleet.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #6827 on: February 02, 2010, 05:37:17 PM

The drama is interesting, but I'm curious to find out how other alliances are doing financially.  Holding sov on large areas doesn't seem feasible anymore (maybe I'm mistaken). 

And then, what are the options?  If you go to a smaller area, your income is smaller, thus you can't reimburse as many capital ships as before.  If you shrink your membership, you have fewer capital ship pilots.  If you try to keep your members and hold a large area, you go broke paying bills.

What's the future?  0.0 becomes like lowsec?
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #6828 on: February 02, 2010, 06:54:17 PM

Given that holding Delve was apparently pushing GS towards bankruptcy, and for all that 'lol goons' attitude it is a huge and powerful alliance with lots of money-makers supporting it, I think CCP has worked in Dominion to make it effectively impossible for an alliance to ever truly dominate entire regions of nullsec.   Which makes the name a bit ironic.  If GS was hurting from holding that much space, nobody else is gonna be able to hold that much, either.  You see alliances making a land rush at Delve now, but in a few months I think you'll see them quietly letting systems slide away as the pocketbook gets tighter and it becomes obvious to their directors that it's a white elephant.

The problem that everyone faces now is that a system can evidently cost more than it's worth.  This makes holding territory sort of iffy.  Delve was supposed to be one of the richest areas in the game, yet it evidently wasn't rich enough to cover the bills.  I suspect that now alliances are going to have to focus on smaller constellations and upgrade the fuck out of the systems to try to only hold profitable space with as little waste as possible.  Bean counters and econ majors are going to love it.  Everyone else might be feeling a smidgen cramped.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #6829 on: February 02, 2010, 07:48:18 PM

On an unrelated note, I'm surprised at some Goons who come across as borderline deranged on gf.com are actually pretty chill and helpful on TS/in fleet.

This has been the biggest surprise for me. As compared to the other three corps I've flown with, the goons are the most helpful, most forgiving of mistakes, most patient, and most inclusive. I can get in on an op, if I screw up someone will call me a name and everyone will laugh because everyone is more amused than angry. Big contrast to a Hellcat pitching a hour long fit then holding a grudge over losing a Rupture on a roam.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Dallan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6830 on: February 02, 2010, 08:04:07 PM

Given that holding Delve was apparently pushing GS towards bankruptcy, and for all that 'lol goons' attitude it is a huge and powerful alliance with lots of money-makers supporting it, I think CCP has worked in Dominion to make it effectively impossible for an alliance to ever truly dominate entire regions of nullsec.   Which makes the name a bit ironic.  If GS was hurting from holding that much space, nobody else is gonna be able to hold that much, either.  You see alliances making a land rush at Delve now, but in a few months I think you'll see them quietly letting systems slide away as the pocketbook gets tighter and it becomes obvious to their directors that it's a white elephant.

The thing with GS in Delve was that they arguably tried to do too much - hold sov in too many systems, keep up too many jammers and bridges (which are the big costs to Dominion spaceholding, not necessarily stations), employ too few renters - that a different alliance with different norms holding the regions might not have done. Time will tell if IT runs into the same problems with their different model, though my schadenfreude hopes they do.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6831 on: February 02, 2010, 10:19:29 PM

Aaaaaaand Goonswarm has apparently kicked all its corporations, including Goonfleet.
Viper ShizzIe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6832 on: February 02, 2010, 10:19:55 PM

Oh it's not a problem for Goonfleet or even for Goonswarm.  But we'll not be fully effective until our glorious leader retires to gimmick mackinaws in highsec.

Edit: not a huge long-term problem.  Right now it's a crippling one.

Is disbanding a long term problem?

EDIT: Goonfleet Hel down in 31-MLU. Bounced outside of the shields and CH/evoke + my alt managed to kill it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:19:35 PM by Viper ShizzIe »
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6833 on: February 02, 2010, 11:53:55 PM

Ah, that was your Phobos?  You tackled the CH fleet for a little while, too.  I think you're responsible for any BS kills we actually pulled out of that fight.

Edit: To clarify, some Goonfleet Hel logged into a Battlestars tower and BTLS hadn't reset their standings properly yet, so he was bounced.  Nicely opportunistic of you guys, is PL officially flying with Cry Havoc and Ev0ke now?
Viper ShizzIe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6834 on: February 02, 2010, 11:57:41 PM

Ah, that was your Phobos?  You tackled the CH fleet for a little while, too.  I think you're responsible for any BS kills we actually pulled out of that fight.

Edit: To clarify, some Goonfleet Hel logged into a Battlestars tower and BTLS hadn't reset their standings properly yet, so he was bounced.  Nicely opportunistic of you guys, is PL officially flying with Cry Havoc and Ev0ke now?

I didn't think I bubbled the CH fleet, my bad~

No, this isn't anything official between CH/Ev0ke and PL. I had an alt in the area, set them personally blue for the duration of the op and got a p. good fight out of it.

Also, the Hel pilot would have needed a password to get into the POS regardless of the standings BLTS had. Who the fuck would log in a BLTS pos though? :iiam:
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #6835 on: February 03, 2010, 12:21:43 AM

At this point it has got to be really obvious they need some checks and balances on how alliances operate. Surely there should be some sort of CEO voting mechanism on things like disbanding an alliance, paying rent or disbanding an alliance and walking off with the bank.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #6836 on: February 03, 2010, 12:49:23 AM

Someone seriously has to make a video of this with yakkity sax somewhere. The hilarity the past few weeks has just been overwhelming. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I literally can't think of much we can do to top this.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6837 on: February 03, 2010, 01:17:46 AM

Kageru, there is.  But in our case, the CEO had all of the shares and no one else could propose a vote.  He was extremely paranoid.

Karttoon is reportedly insurance-frauding our entire dreadnaught stockpile.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6838 on: February 03, 2010, 01:23:04 AM

Also, the Hel pilot would have needed a password to get into the POS regardless of the standings BLTS had. Who the fuck would log in a BLTS pos though? :iiam:

Seriouspost: the BTLS leadership and logistics people were 100% more effective over the last few days than the Goonfleet ones.  He'd have logged out there because Battlestars set up the underground railroad out of Delve and Battlestars set up our staging POS in our target systems.  Our own directorate has been too busy defending Karttoon on the forums.

Anyway, I am rather smug here, having been saying for weeks that Karttoon was a lazy, disinterested and worthless gimmick.

This is a far better outcome than Karttoon continuing as CEO.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #6839 on: February 03, 2010, 01:42:14 AM

Kageru, there is.  But in our case, the CEO had all of the shares and no one else could propose a vote.  He was extremely paranoid.

Which sounds like the root cause. Putting game assets that can be converted into RL cash in the hands of a single person surely makes this sort of thing inevitable?

There must be some epic drama on the goon forums, assuming you didn't lose control of those too. It's got to hurt watching all that effort being wasted by one guy having a sulk. I mean he wasn't willing to stand down but he was willing to destroy everything.

So one post I saw estimated he's got 300 billion ISK in cash and ~1 trillion ISK in assets. So he can in theory buy timecards with those and convert them into real money? That's got to be worth a bit.

It would be fairly impressive if goonfleet survived a situation in which it has no assets, no space, no alliance and little leadership. Have to imagine a lot of people would be considering this a good time to quit eve.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #6840 on: February 03, 2010, 02:08:45 AM

Actually found something good/funny on CAOD for once:

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6841 on: February 03, 2010, 02:14:49 AM

Actually found something good/funny on CAOD for once:

I thought about posting this:

Following the collapse of the Goonfleet Government and the attempted coup d'etat by former leader Karttoon, former Goonswarm corps Igneous Auctoritas, Ultrapolite Socialites and Arsed have announced a package of aid to be provided to what is likely to be a humanitarian disaster of hitherto unimagined comic proportions.

A committee of pubbie corp CEOs has announced the deployment of peacekeeping ganksquads to guard hangers, corp wallets and other central institutions. Battlestars have already pledged two hundred Chinese macro-ratters to maintain the military indices on any remaining Goonfleet space.

"We must do all we can to support Goonfleet in their hour of crisis," CEO Pyrex said last night. "Goonfleet are one of the more-important mid-sized, regional players in low-quality NPC 0.0 space and their stability and continuing commerce is important to several ten-man pirate corps who live nearby, not to mention those Factional Warfare organisations who occasionally visit for killboard padding."

CEO Pyrex went on to urge the leaders of each of the schismatic Goonfleet groups to "announce transitional elections and abide by the outcome of the democratic process. If democracy is to have a chance it must be watered by the gentle rain of freedom. If the factions within Goonfleet cannot respect their institutions and the will of the common Goon, then we shall have to impose sanctions."

Ex-CEO Kartoon has quoted as saying "Allahu Ackbar... c'mon guys, it'll be funny... let's gank a newbie in a covetor. You can call me the Sheihk and everything. Pubbie tears, guys! PUBBIE TEARS!"

Pyrex then returned to eyeing up Battlestars' corp hangars and wallet, stroking his chin pensively.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
dingusxavier
Terracotta Army

Reply #6842 on: February 03, 2010, 02:27:37 AM

So... What's the state of the goon forums right now?

Is goonwaffe going to form a new alliance?

What's going to happen to the pubbie corps? I'm sure some goons see this as an opportunity to rid themselves of the lot but I don't see it happening except maybe to battlestars.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:31:28 AM by dingusxavier »
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #6843 on: February 03, 2010, 02:54:45 AM

Is goonwaffe going to form a new alliance?

They could call it "Band of Brothers".
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #6844 on: February 03, 2010, 03:01:41 AM

No.

Predator Irl
Terracotta Army

Reply #6845 on: February 03, 2010, 03:02:57 AM

No!

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6846 on: February 03, 2010, 03:31:01 AM

I think its fair to say people are laughing their heads off on the goon forums

This has been one hilarious week

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #6847 on: February 03, 2010, 03:38:52 AM

Definitely the week that keeps on giving. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I can't wait to see what comes next. It'll either be a disappointment compared to what's already happened, or it will be hilarious to the nth degree.

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #6848 on: February 03, 2010, 03:53:33 AM

The smart money is on Solo deleting the forums.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6849 on: February 03, 2010, 04:11:04 AM

Nah, Epsilon, in their infinite predictive wisdom, asked Solo pre-shitstorm and he told us he'd keep the forums running for as long as goons wanted them.  Even if everyone fucks off and plays a different game.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6850 on: February 03, 2010, 04:15:43 AM

The smart money is on Solo deleting the forums.

I and others had already suggested that all shares and key roles be held by Solo Drakban, since he has the highest tolerance for drama possible and is dedicated to the community.  Plus if he goes fuckgoons its all over anyway.

Twitter - Endieposts

Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #6851 on: February 03, 2010, 04:35:24 AM

From CCP's point of view this has to be more or less working as intended.

Eve is full of "oh sugar!" moments, from the first time you get concorded for shooting something you, as a newbie, thought you were perfectly entitled to shoot. Punitive game mechanics run throughout the game's systems.

If it were not possible to do catastrophic errors relatively easily it would become a somewhat dull game of shooting virtually invincible towers in the defender's prime time.

As for Kartoon, is he not just back from honeymoon? It's Christmas come early for his new bride, who was probably expecting him to be playing Eve 6 hours every evening.

That's of course if it's not her sneaking onto his character to suicide all the Dreadnoughts and disband the Alliance.

"What are you doing, dear?"

"Just thought I'd take a quick look at this Eve game, honey."

"That's wonderful, you'll love it!"

"Well, I'm having a lot of fun so far...."
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #6852 on: February 03, 2010, 05:34:09 AM

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6853 on: February 03, 2010, 05:36:15 AM

Solooooooooooooo Argh!

I'm still calling prank on this one though
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #6854 on: February 03, 2010, 05:39:01 AM

Added text: "Ok, ok, not really, I'm doing some quick and unexpected maintenance. Keep your panties on."

Had me for a second there, buck-o. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Terracotta Army

Reply #6855 on: February 03, 2010, 05:39:45 AM

Solo has since updated that page ;-)
Moosehands
Terracotta Army

Reply #6856 on: February 03, 2010, 11:09:34 AM

Always hoped I'd outlive GS.  Silus Fromme best Fromme! See what I did there?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6857 on: February 03, 2010, 11:46:20 AM

If Kartoon is such a douche-nozzle, how did he get into power to begin with?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #6858 on: February 03, 2010, 11:57:21 AM

No one else would take it would be my guess.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6859 on: February 03, 2010, 12:02:29 PM

The really talented people who'd put up with leading goons(goons are the worst) mostly drifted off when we finally killed BoB leaving a bunch of middle managers who got promoted by default.  Since then GS has been run by an incestuous clique of nerds who hang out of the same jabber channel stroking each others dicks with virtually no turnover.  People have complained about this forever but Goonfleet isn't a democracy.  As for now Karttoon got the CEO, you'd have to ask the jabberati.  GS plebs haven't had any input or insight into important decisions since forever.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 233 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War  
Jump to: