Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 09:14:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Camelot Unchained 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Camelot Unchained  (Read 189743 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: May 01, 2013, 12:57:02 PM

Let's be objective here.  The guy developed a game in 2001 that is still up and running.  He developed a second game with a HUGE budget entrusted to him and later merged his company with BioWare (earning a pretty penny along the way, I'd assume). 

You don't like the guy's design choices.  I get it.  While the guy has made some questionable design decisions, I'd hardly call his career a track record of failure. 

To be clear, Imperator was languishing until they secured the Warhammer Fantasy IP. What funding they had then became big once they were bought on the promise of future success. That development was complemented with insane amounts of Marketing and PR happening roughly at the same time the early beta reports were leaking. The company name was being applied to other projects on the strength of the investment they made to buy the MMO which was made on the strength of DAoC.*

Does that make him personally a failure? No. Games are a trillion decisions made by hundreds of people over many years.

But, as the face of the game, he's associated with how DAoC and WAR did. He's trying to bank on that, and we're seeing that can only go so far (like RG, and his first MMO has been going on for more years than that).

When people bank on their personal name recognition, they need to accept their skeletons will be scrutinized along with their successes, and that the sequence of those is often more important than the total picture.

* Incidentally, shifting the clock forward a few years and the only thing you need to do is replace the company and game names. Heck, replacing MJ with RG gets you there too.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: May 01, 2013, 01:14:04 PM

Aaaaaand...they're funded.  With 19 hours to go even.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #492 on: May 01, 2013, 01:16:21 PM

Faith in humanity shattered.  I'll go weep in a corner now.

I still have my doubts this ever sees the light of day.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #493 on: May 01, 2013, 01:36:09 PM

Faith in humanity shattered.  I'll go weep in a corner now.

I still have my doubts this ever sees the light of day.

It won't in any workable form. They'll probably get a beta or something going until they can get people to pay for access to that.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #494 on: May 01, 2013, 02:13:22 PM

headache

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #495 on: May 01, 2013, 02:19:35 PM

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: May 01, 2013, 02:26:42 PM

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: May 01, 2013, 02:29:13 PM

In case anyone was wondering, I didn't give this a cent.  I will play it if it ever gets that far.  If...

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #498 on: May 01, 2013, 07:20:39 PM

Meanwhile, my faith in humanity is maintained.

And now we've got years worth of material to look forward to. YEARS.

Horny teens in a slasher movie have more sense than some of these backers.

FIFY

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #499 on: May 02, 2013, 07:47:26 AM

I didn't give money either.  To any kickstarter.  I keep forgetting they exist and I'm mostly skint.  I don't know if this game will make it or not, but I still think Marc is a sweetheart and I hope he makes a living and doesn't have to become something else.  I spell his name "Marc" because he's a game DESIGNER. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: May 02, 2013, 08:58:10 AM

I chose not to back it either as it was just funding to use for seeking out other VC funding. I'm sure Mark Jacobs can secure enough funding to get the game developed, but I would rather just buy it when it releases. Gone are the days where I hope for a beta spot. Now? I just hope my strawberries grow this year.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: May 02, 2013, 09:19:14 AM

Yeah, it was never in doubt

Once the KS was funded, Jacobs went ahead and put in $2 million of his own, and they've pulled together another million from non-KS sources.

Now, can you develop a three-realm RvR MMO, with all of the features that Jacobs has been crowing about, for $5 million? I guess we'll find out.  awesome, for real

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: May 02, 2013, 09:35:05 AM

I had missed this for some reason, but they're planning on this being a paid subscription based game.  Because obviously, this time will be different - never mind the trail of tears that is every fucking game that is not WoW or EVE at this point.
WayAbvPar

Reply #503 on: May 02, 2013, 10:02:44 AM

Once the KS was funded, Jacobs went ahead and put in $2 million of his own, and they've pulled together another million from non-KS sources.

Now, can you develop a three-realm RvR MMO, with all of the features that Jacobs has been crowing about, for $5 million? I guess we'll find out.  awesome, for real

They have about 5 weeks of operating expenses now, according to Curt Schilling. No problem.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: May 02, 2013, 10:11:18 AM

They have about 5 weeks of operating expenses now, according to Curt Schilling. No problem.

If CSE has 400 employees, sure.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #505 on: May 02, 2013, 10:12:45 AM

If it gets above 20, they will have problems.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: May 02, 2013, 10:43:56 AM

I've backed two kickstarters. One was a pure charity, which was funding a friend's giant fire art installation. The other was effectively a pre-purchase to the Guide to Glorantha, which came from Moon Design who had an established track record and because I'm a lunatic for Glorantha the way these backers are for Camelot.

I'm skeptical because I don't think, based on his past behavior particularly here, that Jacobs can keep his ego in check. If he goes humble and downplays it as a small indie niche game, he could probably get 50-100k subs and declare it a success on that level. Sort of like POE. Sort of like DAOC actually. I think he'll go big with grandiose claims and end up being seen as a failure even if it makes a profit though.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: May 02, 2013, 11:00:56 AM

I think that even a marginal game could garner 10k subscribers for a year or so.  If he plans for this scale, he'll be fine.  If he gets grand plans, then he's going to circle the drain as the majority of you expect. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: May 02, 2013, 11:18:49 AM

CU has a team of 10 devs + whatever support people they have on staff.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #509 on: May 02, 2013, 11:22:30 AM

I think that even a marginal game could garner 10k subscribers for a year or so.  If he plans for this scale, he'll be fine.  If he gets grand plans, then he's going to circle the drain as the majority of you expect. 

That amount of revenue can support a staff of about 10-15 people, and no more. If that's the case, you're right.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: May 02, 2013, 11:32:31 AM

"If it has less than a million subs, it's a failure."

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #511 on: May 02, 2013, 11:36:44 AM

If it cost $100M and has less than a million subs, it's a failure.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: May 02, 2013, 11:54:49 AM

Mark said he would be happy with 20-50k. He also said that the subscription could possible, and should be less than $15 a month.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: May 02, 2013, 10:17:52 PM

And now we've got years worth of material to look forward to. YEARS.

Now all we need is Paul Barnett to make a video taking about the nascent and probably untenable ideas that they kicked around an office brainstorming session, and turn them into solid promises about how the game will cure cancer, solve world peace, and come to your house to clean up your garage for you. I don't see why he shouldn't be wearing sun glasses in it either.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:58:37 AM by Ashamanchill »

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: May 02, 2013, 11:41:22 PM

He's probably still happily employed at EA though. Probably a perfect fit for him.

OMG. A quick google turned up this gem. 
Paul Barnett is an English game designer who is currently the General Manager of Mythic Entertainment, a division of Electronics Arts. Barnett had a lead role in developing Electronic Arts Warhammer Online MMO in Europe
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #515 on: May 03, 2013, 10:08:44 AM

Fuck me, General Manager? Failed upwards quite spectacularly didn't he?

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: May 03, 2013, 10:26:50 AM

Yeah, but he's the GM of Mythic.  That's like what, 10 people?  Pretty much on par with being the GM of a Taco Bell at this point.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #517 on: May 03, 2013, 11:15:27 AM

Yeah, but he's the GM of Mythic.  That's like what, 10 people?  Pretty much on par with being the GM of a Taco Bell at this point.

Taco Bell produces less shit.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: May 03, 2013, 11:46:36 AM

I LOLed.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: May 03, 2013, 12:59:30 PM

Barnett better not have anything to do with Camelot Unchained.  It would kill the small glimmer of something_hopelike. l

-  Mark Twain
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #520 on: May 03, 2013, 01:10:09 PM

Barnett better not have anything to do with Camelot Unchained.  It would kill the small glimmer of something_hopelike. l
There is no hope. Death is certain.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Feverdream
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: May 03, 2013, 02:58:32 PM

There is no hope. Death is certain.

I suspect that Mark Jacobs has about as much interest in having any association with Paul Barnett as he does in contracting a case of hemorrhagic smallpox.

I could be wrong, though.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #522 on: May 03, 2013, 03:32:01 PM

PB as a GM is fucking extraordinary.

He will be able to live off that forever.

Games industry is  roflcopter
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: May 03, 2013, 05:55:00 PM

I just realized that we need an emoticon for 'clownshoes'.

-  Mark Twain
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: May 04, 2013, 10:02:14 AM

Wow. How did that happen?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Camelot Unchained  
Jump to: