Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 07:34:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Camelot Unchained 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Camelot Unchained  (Read 189755 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #140 on: April 02, 2013, 05:47:14 AM

Best of all, pledge owner receives INVITATION TO COME HANG OUT WITH CITY STATE ENTERTAINMENT in beautiful downtown Fairfax, Virginia for 3 days including the Camelot Unchained launch party. You must provide your own transportation to our office, but once here, we will pay for your room at a nearby hotel (you are responsible for your own hotel expenses and you must have a valid credit card), transportation to and from the hotel on a daily basis, all of your meals with the team (unless you go off on your own), special email access to the development team, special credit within the game, the manual and anywhere else we have our credits, and on the final day you get to say the magical words “AOT DEKCUS” and throw your choice of fruit pies at Mark Jacobs during your visit (recorded for posterity of course).
We should be able to do this for free.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: April 02, 2013, 06:02:18 AM

I know so many people that are lining up to throw money at this game. It's sad, and when I call them fools, they yell at me like I'm some kind of asshole. They're whole reasoning is "HEY ITS DAOC2! WINKWINK! Mark Jacobs SAID SO almost."

Then they point to the weird principle blog posts like it's some kind of receipt for an awesome game.

Maybe they'll have a kickstarter for their PAX booth.
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: April 02, 2013, 07:09:21 AM

I really want this to succeed. However I have zero expectation that it will. I won't throw any money at the Kickstarter. If a miracle occurs and it gets made and it's good, I will play it a lot. Not holding my breath though.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: April 02, 2013, 07:15:20 AM

I just enjoy making posts with the word "Kickstarter" in them.  It sends Schild into a frenzy.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #144 on: April 02, 2013, 11:34:50 AM

They're whole reasoning is "HEY ITS DAOC2!"

Made by the same assholes who fucked it up in the first place. Not sure that should be a ringing endorsement for anything. More like telling your priest you got a dose of the clap.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: April 02, 2013, 11:59:28 AM

The one thing that gives me any hope at all was the fact that WAR was quite fun in the early going.  It had some interesting classes, solid pvp, and a great deal of potential.  If Camelot Unchained was nothing more than WAR with 3 factions, I'd buy it and play the hell out of it for 3 months. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: April 02, 2013, 12:04:30 PM

Yeah, WAR was fine until they started giving classes options. Jacobs loves the idea of having three realms with each side have different classes.

There's no way he can't fuck up balance.  At all.

This just screams disaster.

edit: What exactly does Counter Revolutionary mean?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:06:57 PM by Draegan »
WayAbvPar

Reply #147 on: April 02, 2013, 12:20:45 PM

Dump classes. Use skills. Allow players to train skills in whatever order they want. Make balance the player's problem, not the devs.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: April 02, 2013, 12:33:26 PM

Dump classes. Use skills. Allow players to train skills in whatever order they want. Make balance the player's problem, not the devs.

That will work in a PvP game (or RvR, whatever) if you can respec at will. I'm given to understand that respecs will be rare in not-Camelot.

And by "at will" I just mean outside of combat, or only at a trainer npc, or whatever. The point being that there's no limit on how many times you can respec.

That might not be old-school enough for Jacobs though  why so serious?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: April 02, 2013, 12:53:58 PM

We'll call it performance art and one of our stretch goals will fund the egging of Paul Barnett.
This should be the $1 level pledge.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: April 02, 2013, 01:08:02 PM

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: April 02, 2013, 02:38:19 PM

So I kinda think it will be hard  for this to compete with established market. There are plenty of high quality games - GW2 of course , where WWW while not ideal but still pretty good as far as those things go . And PS2 which is quintessential large scale  .  I mean when DAOC came out it was breaking  new market. When unchained comes out(if it ever does)?  -there are dozens of products in this niche already including the TESO.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:41:27 PM by Dark_MadMax »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: April 02, 2013, 05:01:24 PM

So I kinda think it will be hard  for this to compete with established market. There are plenty of high quality games - GW2 of course , where WWW while not ideal but still pretty good as far as those things go . And PS2 which is quintessential large scale  .  I mean when DAOC came out it was breaking  new market. When unchained comes out(if it ever does)?  -there are dozens of products in this niche already including the TESO.

I disagree.  There isn't a decent fantasy MMO with a PvP core right now so this title has a very real opportunity to fill a much desired niche.  The concern is really in how much they will fuck up the implementation of a game style we'd all like to see.

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #153 on: April 02, 2013, 05:11:09 PM

Dozens of products in its niche seems like a massive overstatement, yes.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: April 02, 2013, 08:02:03 PM

There's dozens of niche MMOs that have PvP. That part is valid. But that these represent a sizeable enough market to target with a responsibly-budgeted and produced PvP-focused MMO? Nah.

And that's not even a comment on this yet-another-forgettable-kickstarter.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: April 02, 2013, 08:41:50 PM

There's dozens of niche MMOs that have PvP. That part is valid. But that these represent a sizeable enough market to target with a responsibly-budgeted and produced PvP-focused MMO? Nah.

And that's not even a comment on this yet-another-forgettable-kickstarter.

Don't confuse PvP and RvR.

Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: April 02, 2013, 08:54:01 PM

Did any of you (other than me) try out March on Oz? I picked it up during a $0.99 sale, and was underwhelmed. Very similar to PvZ, but not as good.

This KS will not succeed, by the way. $2 mill is too high.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #157 on: April 02, 2013, 09:47:34 PM

As Baldrake indicated: CU Kickstarter aim is for US$2m. One day in and it is a quarter of the way there ($552k).

Gaming, thou art FUCKING BROKEN.

A quick skim of the Kickstarter text:

"Mark" is mentioned about 20 times. It's pretty clear that his reputation is meant to bring the cash flooding in on waves of nostalgia.

They're writing a custom MMO engine for this. That's one of the things that Kickstarter is funding.

If the Kickstarter fails, they'll allegedly cancel CU.

From his days at A.U.S.I. and at Mythic, Mark has preached (sometimes to very deaf ears) the importance of talking with and listening to the players.

Just not on official forums, because those things are terrible. Oh wait, apparently every City State dev will have "a presence" on the forums. That can only end well.

Mark has never been afraid of taking risks, and this is no exception. The money raised from our Kickstarter will be used to fund only a portion of the game’s development costs, and we have already lined up additional sums. These are dependent on us proving to the investors that there is a market for this type of game in today’s very difficult MMORPG climate. With a successful Kickstarter campaign, we`ll prove to them that we have a strong core group of people interested enough in this type of game to back it. Everyone recognizes how difficult it will be to pull this off (and the skepticism is sure to rival what Mythic Entertainment faced in 1999 after announcing Dark Age of Camelot). By putting in $2M of his own money, Mark’s is showing our potential Kickstarter backers that he appreciates the risks you are taking and is willing once again to put his money where his mouth is. Mark’s contribution to this Kickstarter project is more than any other developer he is aware of currently, even those whose financial success dwarfs his own. He believes in this project so much that he willing to risk a significant part of his savings just to make it come true. He will also have an additional update on this issue during the course of this Kickstarter.

Going back, CU has an estimated development budget of US$10m+, so if MJ is stumping up US$2m and the Kickstarter is expected to bring in the same, that means investors are being sought for roughly 50% - 60% of the development budget. Which hardly seems to make CU free of investor interference, which is a claimed reason for CU going down the Kickstarter path. It's almost like Kickstarter acts as some kind of due diligence process for investment consideration: "We like your game idea, but we're only in if you can use free money to fund 20% of your game's costs".

Plus I personally don't get excited by "I'm putting my own money on the line!" when it's MJ's company and he's the one financially benefiting from it. Is it a risk? Sure, but that's every independent video game project.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: April 02, 2013, 11:58:59 PM

Plus I personally don't get excited by "I'm putting my own money on the line!" when it's MJ's company and he's the one financially benefiting from it. Is it a risk? Sure, but that's every independent video game project.

I am sure MJ is keen and shrewd enough to never invest his own money. He is project manager/producer, he makes things go and spin , if they dont work out -well to bad for investors. If they do - he gets rewarded. Investors risk their money thats what they do (but they dont do actual projects, if they invest in right ones they gain money, they lose for wrong ones)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #159 on: April 03, 2013, 03:25:01 AM

I think threeway PvP is the best way to go next to the Shadowbane/EVE model, so I am happy about more games going this way. But I wouldn't put too much hope into a very-low-budget MMO trying to make it right at this point. There's GW2, there's Planetside 2, there's Tera which is about to get its threeway fix, and of course there is TESO which plans to be more Daoc than this (mostly because it was clearly stated in Camelot Unchained pitch that this is NOT going to be DAOC 2). As much as I hope this will succeed, do you really think that 2, 3 or even 5 million dollars can bring 2002 back?

I mean when DAOC came out it was breaking  new market. When unchained comes out(if it ever does)?  -there are dozens of products in this niche already including the TESO.

I tend to agree with this. Lots of the good memories are about a ten years old model that didn't necessarily aged well. Just DAOC with better graphics wouldn't be so great now, so this game has to expand and improve the formula. Can they pull it off, with that little budget, where GW2 couldn't or where TESO won't?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #160 on: April 03, 2013, 05:19:11 AM

I find that post hilarious after your post in the EQ Next thread, Falconeer.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #161 on: April 03, 2013, 06:15:07 AM

Hmm, yeah I see your point. Just to clarify I love everything old and old school. And I love all sorts of retrogaming. I will almost certainly buy Camelot Unchained should it ever get released. I hope it will be able to bring back some old fun, I just doubt it will, because of Jacobs, and because of the lack of money. So yes, I understand why my position and my posts were confusing. I am the first one who hopes for the past to come back and be as good as I remember it. Sadly, I fooled myself enough times to know a little bit better now.

For the record, about Wizardry (and EQ), that's what it is: retro-gaming at its finest, and proudly so. While I don't think this new Camelot product is going down that old alley and I am afraid they won't have the resources to go down any new one. We'll see. It's not like I meant to piss on DAOC's legacy or anything, just saying that by the time this will come out there will be more than one wealthiest competitor probably doing an expanded version of the same thing.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: April 03, 2013, 10:44:17 AM

Lets have a pool to see how much this kickstarter raises. I'm going with 1.15M.

edit:
Also, it's my opinion that hard coded sides in any MMORPG are dumb. Either go free-for all, or make sides flexible after some fashion.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: April 03, 2013, 11:02:55 AM

I think hardcoding sides adds replay value.  Don't like your team?  Reroll!

-  Mark Twain
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: April 03, 2013, 11:07:49 AM

edit:
Also, it's my opinion that hard coded sides in any MMORPG are dumb. Either go free-for all, or make sides flexible after some fashion.

And then you have gw2 release server hopping with 95%/5%/0% scores
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: April 03, 2013, 11:54:54 AM

Ever since Jay Wilson surfaced I have new respect for Mark Jacobs. He used to be my least liked designer/developer/director/dickhead, not anymore!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: April 03, 2013, 12:12:12 PM

edit:

And then you have gw2 release server hopping with 95%/5%/0% scores

Well there are bad ways to do things and good ways to do things.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: April 03, 2013, 02:59:41 PM

The "just do it right" argument.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: April 03, 2013, 06:42:47 PM

Well if you want to get into an armchair dev argument, you go first.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: April 04, 2013, 12:32:21 PM

You already went first.

The reason the "just do it right" argument is pointless is precisely because none of us (mostly anyway) are devs.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: April 04, 2013, 01:04:20 PM

You already went first.

The reason the "just do it right" argument is pointless is precisely because none of us (mostly anyway) are devs.

Well I never said "just do it right", I just said that GW2 didn't do a very good job of it. I thought RIFT did a pretty decent job of it. Best I've seen anyway if you have to have a three sided contest of sorts.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: April 04, 2013, 02:36:10 PM

Rift and SWTOR both had enjoyable PvP but they were still too gear dependent.  Rift suffered from some serious balance issues as well.  The difficulty with a pvp game is that you need to provide an advancement path that a) won't make the power differential too great and b) won't turn it into a WoW gear-fest.

-  Mark Twain
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: April 04, 2013, 03:42:46 PM

Rift and SWTOR both had enjoyable PvP but they were still too gear dependent.

What?  a few instanced BGs is "enjoyable pvp"?  I mean those 2 games would be among the last on my list as "enjoyable pvp".  RIFT class balance pvp wise was also in the "roflmao" category  .

In any case I thing there are plenty of decent quality pvp now(not neccessarily MMOs/fantasy though)  and there is more to come (archeage ,TESO), market is getting crowded, nostalgia alone won't cut it
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:55:21 PM by Dark_MadMax »
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: April 04, 2013, 04:03:37 PM

DAOC's pve was bad. GW2 is not.

It wasn't all bad.  I have very fond memories of that dungeon that rotated between the factions.  On a rotation you'd have stealthers of the other faction hiding out, PVPers of our own chasing down reports of enemies and PVEers trying to grab the very nice rewards.  MMOs nowadays tend to be very shy about exposing PVEers to any risk of PVP because sure it's aggravating to have your time wasted by an internet psycho, but it did add a frisson to the grind.  Long as the rewards make up for the added risk it's a nice option I think.

Lately I've been playing a new pre-trammel UO free shard and it's reminded me how fun dangerous PVE can be.  Rage quit a couple of times having been ganked though ;)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #174 on: April 04, 2013, 04:07:04 PM

PVE

You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Camelot Unchained  
Jump to: