Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:02:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2253915 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3080 on: July 26, 2010, 07:40:15 AM

Take your boy with you.  He would love the adventure.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3081 on: July 26, 2010, 02:17:16 PM

You need one of those baby packs.  You know, like in that pic of me playing Metroid Prime with my son strapped to my chest?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3082 on: July 26, 2010, 02:25:32 PM

Well, if he wakes up in the middle of the night, I know what our activity is going to be.  I'm still at the point where I value him being asleep more than hour 1 video game releases.  He would have fun, but might be a bit frustrated at the gaggle of nerds ignoring his charms.

Bought Persona 3: Portable for an excuse to turn on my PSP.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #3083 on: July 26, 2010, 03:31:02 PM

I'm still at the point where I value him being asleep

Heh, yep. That is key. Otherwise it is impossible to get anything done, except maybe a bit of reading if he is busy playing with his toys. Gaming is a no go for sure.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3084 on: July 26, 2010, 04:29:51 PM

Mine is at the point where I value me being asleep.  And we have another due in October.  Yes, we've figured out how it works.   awesome, for real
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #3085 on: July 27, 2010, 06:38:28 AM

Daggerfall is pretty nice for those boring nights with no games to play. Saw the long line of Starcraft II launch here in Singapore today, but not really my cup of tea. Maybe I'll hit it up for LAN Cafe co-op this Friday, but will not purchase it.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3086 on: July 27, 2010, 06:43:23 AM

People actually buy games at the store?  ACK!

Steam, Amazon.

Last time I was in a b&m that stocked video games was just to show the fiancee what different notebook screen felt like in person (before buying one online).

On topic, FFH2 again. I totally blame Lum.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #3087 on: July 27, 2010, 09:34:55 AM

Well there was one bald guy signing copies for the long snaking queues. I'm sorry, I don't really follow their dev, but maybe it's someone important. And there was a live match between two guys on the big screen.

The queues were collecting pre-orders which went for a streetprice of SGD $109 here (fucking robbery), at first I didn't believe my friend when he said it's Starcraft II queues, but one dude in the queue said 'This is nothing, Burning Crusade was MUCH longer!'   Ohhhhh, I see.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #3088 on: July 27, 2010, 10:22:41 AM

Starrrrrcrrrraft! 2!

It's like distilled 90s, brings back memories and all. I got the collectors' edition, couldn't resist the rad USB stick with the first game preloaded, and the delicious art book. I'll curse this game to the lowest pits of hell when I try multiplayer though. I just know it.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #3089 on: July 27, 2010, 10:48:03 AM

Yeah. I know the feeling. Knowing the limit of my macro was an ego buster, after that, I wasn't so inclined to be good at it anymore. It's literally harder to play Starcraft II than to do my day job.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3090 on: July 27, 2010, 01:45:26 PM

I go to Gamestop to trade in some games that I don't like, but that's it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3091 on: July 28, 2010, 11:15:32 AM

Just Cause 2.  Every time I see another new thing to collect, I get a mild boner.  Also I have cleared out a military base that spawns an attack chopper, which is rad.  Last night I was showing my wife how I crack a military base: first locate a mounted gun, then stomp around like Jesse Ventura.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #3092 on: July 28, 2010, 11:33:58 AM

first locate a mounted gun, then stomp around like Jesse Ventura.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I played a little bit of TF2 the last few nights, but tonight I'll be starting a campaign playthrough of SC1 followed by SC2.

Once I'm done with SC2 I'll be mixing up multiplayer from SC2 and get in some Alen Swarm to finish up my achievements (speed runs, insane difficulty, and 3 or 4 others are all that's left, so close to being done).
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3093 on: July 28, 2010, 11:54:22 AM

Dragon Quest IX pretty much preempted everything else I was playing.  Screw you Enix, and your addicting games.

Yegolev, why are you not playing this?  You aren't dead, are you?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3094 on: July 28, 2010, 12:09:28 PM

I still have open wounds from DQVIII.

I may, in fact, be dead.  Between 10am Saturday and [SCENE MISSING] Tuesday, I had less than 15 hours of sleep.  Got a full 8 hours last night, though, which was nice.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3095 on: July 28, 2010, 12:15:00 PM

Try not to kill anyone outside of video games. 

Dragon Quest 9 is a big step up from 8, and I liked 8.   I can't really do any justice to it without going on for far longer than most people would want me to talk, so just go look up reviews or what other people have said.  That and I'll lie to you.  Other people are at least a gamble on that.
Rasix

Reply #3096 on: July 28, 2010, 12:22:23 PM

and I liked 8.

Danger, Will Robinson! DQ8 is one of my warning sign games.  awesome, for real  I'd mention others, but it makes me physically ill when someone praises them.  Like FF9.. maybe since this is small they won't read it.

SC2.  Yay. Losing connection means you don't get achievements. Boo.

-Rasix
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3097 on: July 28, 2010, 12:25:57 PM

Hey, I already know I have questionable taste in games.  But so does Yegolev, so I think we're okay here.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't like Final Fantasies 8, 12, and 13, and have been meh on everything else past 7.  Why I keep buying them, I don't know.  I have issues.  It's like breaking up with a girlfriend, and not wanting to admit she's just not that into you anymore, but god, was the sex in the past hot.

Edited to appease the angry skull.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:39:07 PM by Ard »
Rasix

Reply #3098 on: July 28, 2010, 12:27:55 PM

Hey, I put that in small print so people wouldn't discuss FF.  I have slightly off-center viewpoints on the series, anyhow. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:29:27 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3099 on: July 28, 2010, 01:37:35 PM

Ard and I are almost the same person, game-taste-wise.  I trust his judgment even if he is an admitted liar... he is only lying for my own good.  Plus I may have convinced him to buy Sakura Wars and so I owe him. Ohhhhh, I see.  I simply have had my free time evaporate and must therefore be very selective.

I went all the way to the final boss in DQ8 and realized that I needed to gain maybe ten more levels before I had any shot at completing it.  A quick mental calculation of the number of metal slimes I would have to kill made me slightly ill and so I shelved it.  Also I despise Toriyama.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3100 on: July 28, 2010, 01:53:53 PM

Plus I may have convinced him to buy Sakura Wars and so I owe him. Ohhhhh, I see.  

You didn't, I still have testicles dammit.

Also I despise Toriyama.

So do I.  It doesn't change my opinion of DQ9 any.  You also apparently got further into DQ8 than I did.  I got distracted by something shiny.  How the hell did you manage to get to the end of an 80 hour game?  Your attention span seems even worse than mine.  On the other hand, I've sunk close to 40 hours into DQ9 without even realizing it.  That never happens to me.  I usually burn out on games around 20 hours in.  The world needs more 20 hour rpgs and fewer 80 hour ones.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3101 on: July 28, 2010, 02:05:31 PM

How the hell did you manage to get to the end of an 80 hour game?

By not grinding enough to beat the final boss. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The world needs more 20 hour rpgs and fewer 80 hour ones.

Heretic.  Well... yes, the new me agrees.  The old me thought Disgaea needed more detail.  Luckily I don't play games to finish.  I can watch the cutscenes on youtube.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3102 on: July 28, 2010, 02:20:07 PM

Yall are both nuts. 20 hours feels like I haven't even scratched the surface of an RPG. Let's just go with 40 for the magic number, just like a good work week.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #3103 on: July 28, 2010, 02:28:00 PM

I find that if an RPG is really good, I could go on with it for a couple hundred hours. Other games not so much, but I'll often replay a good rpg several times despite their typical length.

An addendum: I hate the whole completionist/achievement bandwagon games are jumping on. Just a guess, but are you people that want 20 hour rpg's the kind that feel the need to do every thing/pick up every item/max out characters?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:31:04 PM by Goreschach »
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3104 on: July 28, 2010, 02:40:00 PM

I'm not.  I just get tired of the stories, characters, and/or combat mechanics in most rpgs these days at around the 20 hour mark, and want them to wrap it up and be done.  It's not universal, I don't mind when the occasional outstanding one goes longer, but for the most part, I just get fatigued on games, and want to move on.  

I find a lot of them get mired in segments that just needed to not be in the game.  Even Dragon Age suffered from this.  Both the elf forest dungeon and the dwarf area went on about 3x longer than they should have.  Jrpgs especially love doing this the further you get into the game most times.  It just gets stretched out, and gets so tedious and boring I stop caring.

I'm starting to respect games that more or less make the dungeons at least partially optional.  Mana Khemia was like that, Dragon Quest 9 is like that.  Last Remnant was sorta like that.  You could avoid enemies in those games, and even if you did it a fair amount, it didn't really gimp you.  They also mostly keep the dungeons short, and get back to the story and character building that make the games more fun, at least for me.
Rasix

Reply #3105 on: July 28, 2010, 02:40:47 PM

I find that if an RPG is really good, I could go on with it for a couple hundred hours. Other games not so much, but I'll often replay a good rpg several times despite their typical length.

An addendum: I hate the whole completionist/achievement bandwagon games are jumping on.

Anything longer than 80 hours really needs a shit ton of plot development and side content not to devolve into a bunch of "you must be this level to X" checkpoints.   Anything under 20 for an RPG and I feel a bit cheated.  I don't see a whole lot of that, however. Certain games, even if they have more to offer, seem to cap out on fun at a point in time.  Like in a Persona game when you can't progress the social links anymore.  Game just feels like it's over but you can grind forever if you want.

I'm not a fan of achievements and in RPGs they seem really out of place at times, but I'm just going to accept it as part of the current state of gaming.  I like the PS3 trophies, mostly because I barely notice their existence.

-Rasix
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #3106 on: July 28, 2010, 02:44:52 PM

Anything longer than 80 hours really needs a shit ton of plot development and side content not to devolve into a bunch of "you must be this level to X" checkpoints.

Granted, that's true, but I think if certain games like Fallout, PST, and BG2 had unlimited content, then I could pretty much play them forever.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3107 on: July 28, 2010, 02:49:29 PM

Anything longer than 80 hours really needs a shit ton of plot development and side content not to devolve into a bunch of "you must be this level to X" checkpoints.

Granted, that's true, but I think if certain games like Fallout, PST, and BG2 had unlimited content, then I could pretty much play them forever.

Technically you could stay in the modron cube forever.  awesome, for real

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #3108 on: July 28, 2010, 11:15:21 PM

How about making the padding sidequests you can engage in or ignore? Best for everyone involved. I sure as hell spent more time in Fallout 3 exploring the various Locations as I did playing the mainquest. And I would be pissed off if it ended just after finishing the mainquest And I was surely glad they warned me when the mainquest was about to end. When I became bored, I did the last main quest, voila.
Rasix

Reply #3109 on: July 28, 2010, 11:30:11 PM

Yes, Fallout did a good job with the side questage.  But, that's what I'd expect with Bethsoft.

I wish end game quests/bosses would scale if you completely over power them.  I hate to finish all of the side content and then just roflstomp the end because I'm far more powerful intended.

SC2 single player is pretty nifty.  I'll probably replay it on a harder level since normal you can stomp while doing work at the same time.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3110 on: July 28, 2010, 11:40:26 PM

I like the roflstomping.  Not interested in grating challenges during my leisure time.  I have plenty of mental and endurance challenges with work.  Like how I am just now wrapping up a 12-hour day.  So far this week, meaning from 00:01 Sunday, I have racked up 60.5 work hours.  I want to play Mexican Spiderman on Normal difficulty, not I Have To Try A Lot difficulty.

Rasix

Reply #3111 on: July 28, 2010, 11:47:47 PM

There's roflstomping and then there's roflstomping. I think I'm still just upset at how easy the end of FFXII was with a level 80+ character. I mean common, I wasn't even 90.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3112 on: July 29, 2010, 12:01:16 AM

I admit I don't usually get to the end boss, and when I do I see him as a speedbump to the epilogue movie.  Also end bosses have a high percentage chance of sucking.  I put my faith in the journey instead of the destination.  Worked out great for FFXII.  Also it's working out great for Just Cause 2.  I'm avoiding story missions and having a great time destroying government property.  My wife does like to say things like "Where does he keep all those parachutes?" and "Do they really have grapples like that?", which just causes me to have to mutter "Hush, woman" waaaay too many times.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3113 on: July 29, 2010, 02:19:39 PM

This is heretical, I know, but hard games just for the sake of difficulty don't really do it for me any more.  I am so busy that I really am okay with a decent story line that you can put on cruise control.  "Normal" difficulty for a game like Bioshock is just fine.  I've been playing Shadow Hearts off and on for about 3 months because I missed it the first time.  That's a good one for me.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3114 on: July 29, 2010, 04:57:24 PM

Agree on all points.

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: