Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:45:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2231681 times)
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #2870 on: June 04, 2010, 07:58:32 PM

XBOX: Red Dead Redemption and World Cup 2010 (which I SUCK at). A little Forza 3 here and there. LEGO Star Wars/Indiana Jones with my 7 year old son.

PC: Just finished Dragon Age finally. Civ IV a bit. BF:BC 2 when I want to shoot shit, and a little Torchlight on both my OS X laptop and my gaming rig.

EVE. Again/still. I love to hate this game.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2871 on: June 04, 2010, 08:40:29 PM

I really want to get into a game.  There are no games out there than can actually keep my attention for more than an hour or two.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #2872 on: June 05, 2010, 09:32:42 AM

I really want to get into a game.  There are no games out there than can actually keep my attention for more than an hour or two.

A sentiment all too familiar for me.

Though, of recent, have been having fun with Torchlight, though as now my avatar approaches level 50, it's increasingly apparent how much of a treadmill it all still is… …thought I'd finished the game when I took down the big boss Ordak but it seems there was another quest and more dungeon levels… …guess I could crank up the difficulty to difficult/hardcore too and restart with a different class…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2873 on: June 05, 2010, 09:43:25 AM

A sentiment all too familiar for me.

Though, of recent, have been having fun with Torchlight, though as now my avatar approaches level 50, it's increasingly apparent how much of a treadmill it all still is… …thought I'd finished the game when I took down the big boss Ordak but it seems there was another quest and more dungeon levels… …guess I could crank up the difficulty to difficult/hardcore too and restart with a different class…

Very Hard/Hardcore is definitely my favorite mode in Torchlight at this point.  As for the other point,  I've had some trouble with that as well lately.  I guess I am "in" to DoW2 right now, but even that isn't the same as some other games I've been into, where I just feel compelled to play it more than any other game all the time.  Everything I play feels like I've been here before, and its hard to stay engaged when you feel like you are just rehashing the same stuff over and over.    Probably just me  moving more towards a casual gaming style though.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2874 on: June 05, 2010, 08:31:55 PM

I just bought FFXI for some reason.  I don't know why.  I'm finally updating it, but I think it took me an hour to get through the registration.  Longer than I remember.

I'm thinking I might get an hour entertainment out of this tomorrow morning.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2875 on: June 05, 2010, 09:01:53 PM

Have gotten "better" at World Cup 2010.

In that playing as Brazil, we managed to beat some half-star-rated nation that I forgot 3-1.
Then, playing as the Adidas 11, we lost to Swaziland, 0-1

"Better", clearly, is a relative term.  awesome, for real

Just put in another hour or two to Resistance: Fall of Man on PS3. It's an alright enough game, but it's very grey and washed out visually, and frankly, it's gotten very very samey. I'm 18 levels in out of 30 and it's going to take some serious dedication to make me finish it. I think the chances of me replaying the various levels to get all of the "achievements" is going to be very small indeed...

2 more games of WC2010:
England drew against some shitty 1-or-half-star country.
Italy did the same.

Despite the additional handicap of playing in co-op mode (so you have to coordinate with another person) and playing co-op with my wife (who isn't a "natural gamer") we're still playing on the easiest difficulty, which used to be no trouble at all for me in the older FIFA games. We're still unable to beat shitkicker teams when using the world's powerhouses on the easiest level. I think Germany vs England-type or Australia vs Italy grudge matches aren't ever going to happen. Clearly EA and I have a very different perception of what "beginner" means.

Yeah, I think this one will be going back to EB before the week is up for a refund. Which I nearly never do these days.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 05:19:43 AM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2876 on: June 06, 2010, 05:29:54 PM

So I played a little bit of FFXI today.  After I spent about 2-3 hours making it actually look decent rather than a blurry piece of shit it was just sooooo meh.  I don't want to even discuss the two separate programs I had to download just to make it playable; not even going to discussing have to edit my registry by hand so I could read the name over a mob 10 feet away from me.

Obvious this is a console game, and the control scheme once you get used to it, isn't terrible.  It's just way to old of a game for me.  Combat, controls etc etc are just too archaic.  The 15 bucks was worth the entertainment though I guess.  I'll play around with it for the next few weeks and then toss it aside.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #2877 on: June 07, 2010, 02:10:25 AM

The last time I went back to FFXI newbies were so rare that they were treated really, really well by the community. If you meet some people there you might actually have a pretty good time.

But yeah, it's a very old game at this point and about as solo-friendly as EQ1.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2878 on: June 07, 2010, 04:27:27 AM

Freshly back from holiday and still two weeks to born, so I caved in to play Red Dead Redemption.

And, I fully blame Google for that, Pacman.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2879 on: June 07, 2010, 06:31:56 AM

The last time I went back to FFXI newbies were so rare that they were treated really, really well by the community. If you meet some people there you might actually have a pretty good time.

But yeah, it's a very old game at this point and about as solo-friendly as EQ1.

Well you if you follow the quest line you get an item with 3 charges that give you 50% extra xp for 200 minutes or so.  Grinding wasn't that bad.  Unfortunately the item has a 12 hour cooldown.  Without that extra 50% xp it just slowed down too much.

That and combat is so awkward.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2880 on: June 07, 2010, 01:02:50 PM

Bowser's Inside Story
LotRO
ModNation Racers

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2881 on: June 08, 2010, 02:46:28 AM

Just put in another hour or two to Resistance: Fall of Man on PS3. It's an alright enough game, but it's very grey and washed out visually, and frankly, it's gotten very very samey. I'm 18 levels in out of 30 and it's going to take some serious dedication to make me finish it. I think the chances of me replaying the various levels to get all of the "achievements" is going to be very small indeed...

It's worth playing through it to get a good heads up on Resistance 2, because that game is actually really good.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2882 on: June 08, 2010, 06:14:05 AM

Yeah, I have Resistance 2, and actually picked it up first (it was cheap, and looked good). Played it for like 5 mins and was pretty impressed. Checked out the reviews of R1 and they were glowing, though old, since I think it was a release game. So I picked that one up even cheaper and decided to play through it first...

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2883 on: June 08, 2010, 06:53:11 AM

Since my internet connection is even more broken than I thought (the contractor hadn't even done the big router that serves individual apartments, on top of the missing cabling in the apartments themselves), I've decided to play more PS3. Next up is Uncharteds 1 & 2.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2884 on: June 08, 2010, 09:25:00 AM

Headed out to pick up Tiger Woods 11 after I shower ($10 gift card with purchase at Target, which helps placate my wife when I buy games!). Some interesting new mechanics this year. I also get to strike a blow for adulterers everywhere, so it is win/win  Ohhhhh, I see.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2885 on: June 08, 2010, 10:54:45 AM

Yeah, I have Resistance 2, and actually picked it up first (it was cheap, and looked good). Played it for like 5 mins and was pretty impressed. Checked out the reviews of R1 and they were glowing, though old, since I think it was a release game. So I picked that one up even cheaper and decided to play through it first...

I liked the atmosphere in the first one more.  It felt more like WW2 than the second one does.  The second one feels more like a modern setting shooter.  That said, the second one gameplay-wise is a huge step up, except for those fucking invisible predator things.  I especially loved the co-op mode, but you might have missed the boat on that one.  I haven't tried playing it in a long time, so I'm not sure if there are even people still doing it.

Finished up Afro Samurai, that was a fun hack and slash game.  The boss fights actually make you work for it.  Some of them felt more like Bushido Blade, where you actually have to catch them in a mistake instead of just mindlessly hacking at them.
Nearly done with Drakensang now, but my god, the dungeon under the dwarf area is tediously long.  Exact same retarded mistake Dragon Age made.
Started up Deus Ex having missed the party by 10 years.  Still liking it alot.
Still loving Resonance of Fate.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:58:00 AM by Ard »
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #2886 on: June 08, 2010, 11:57:49 AM

PS3: RDR, MLB10, Resonance of Fate....still. This game can't grab me as much as I thought it would but I keep going back to it for small play sessions. Nier is en route from Amazon right now so I'm a little more encouraged to finish ROF before that arrives.

PC: I'm searching for a friendly server for TF:2 and am switching between playing vs bots on KOTH maps and trying random servers. Playing some Dragon Age with some mods (first time modding DA, it's alright but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out The Winter Forge). Tropico 3 from time to time as well.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2887 on: June 08, 2010, 01:55:04 PM

MLB10

Is that any good? Reviews weren't gushing about it. Wish The Bigs wasn't PS3 only  Mob

In other news, Tiger Woods 11 is pretty damned fun so far. Look me up on XBL if you wanna kick my ass all over the course.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #2888 on: June 08, 2010, 05:18:03 PM

I'd be skeptical of any review raving about a sports game that wasn't boasting significant changes. This definitely wasn't evolving the baseball game genre this year, but there's some noticeable improvements. If you enjoy baseball games, this one really is pretty damn good imo. I honestly only bought it due to a RL friend in another state having it and wanting to do some multiplayer, but I think buying it for $30 would have been much better then $50 for minor improvements and updated rosters. Now, just to note, I am just starting a franchise and am only 4 games in, so this is what I've noticed so far in a short period of time. I haven't even been able to try the multiplayer yet since my buddy's on vacation. Also, I haven't tried Road to the Show yet, but I hear it's improved. If I remember to, I'll post some thoughts on those modes later.

Now, I didn't buy MLB09, but compared to what I remember from MLB08 this one seems quite a bit tougher. Offensively, the pitchers throw a better mix of pitches and in a lot tougher locations. I used to average roughly 10-13 runs a game with a non-custom Cubs roster (yes they had a good team then, but they also had great competition that year), here I'm struggling to get 3-4. I'm sure I'll eventually adjust, but I remember when I was first starting '08 and still getting 6-8 runs per game easily. Defensively, I used to throw no hitters consistently through 6-8 innings and end the game maybe giving up 3 hits and 1-2 runs with any of the Cubs starters, but in this game I'm getting rocked. A lot of it seems that pitches like curve balls and sliders don't have the movement on them that they did in '08 (they still have good movement, just not what '08 had which was a bit much imo), which is great but it's a tough adjustment for someone who relied on SCVs. I'm enjoy the tougher game though.

There's a number of improvements that are definite and not reliant on my memory from two years ago (a better pick off move at times, fielder position such as covering a base is more realistic when being thrown to, collision detection such as people hopping over sliding runners in a more realistic way, emotion from players when they show it is improved, etc). The graphics are noticeably improved, even the faces of players are better.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2889 on: June 09, 2010, 01:23:40 AM

I can't play baseball games because I'm too much of a real-life fan, all the inconsistencies bother me too much. Except for games that don't even attempt sim-style, like the one that Midway used to make or Super Baseball 2020 AKA The Best Baseball Game Ever.

When I play a baseball game that tries to be real I just get super frustrated when a double play takes too long to turn or the CPU never swings at balls and things like that.

Right now I'm playing Silent Hill for the Wii and Tactics A2 for the DS. Tactics A2 is super long so I play it in small chunks, usually before bed or on trips. It will probably be months before I beat it if I ever do. Silent Hill is great, basically a modern adventure game.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #2890 on: June 09, 2010, 08:38:29 AM

I can't play baseball games because I'm too much of a real-life fan, all the inconsistencies bother me too much. Except for games that don't even attempt sim-style, like the one that Midway used to make or Super Baseball 2020 AKA The Best Baseball Game Ever.

When I play a baseball game that tries to be real I just get super frustrated when a double play takes too long to turn or the CPU never swings at balls and things like that.

Though the two examples you listed I feel are much improved on (npc swinging at balls more so then double play turning), I see your point. It's not perfect, of course, but it's better.

The Best Baseball Game Ever.

I think you mean Base Wars. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2891 on: June 09, 2010, 08:51:37 AM

I don't care much for baseball games, because much like in real life, I can't catch fly ball or line drive worth crap. Or hit for that matter.  awesome, for real

The SC2 beta hiatus has me trying to get farther in Red Dead Redemption.  I don't know what it is about Rockstar games, but about halfway through they just start getting boring for me. It's going to be a chore to finish and Mexico is annoying me (travel distances between interesting shit is huge).  I've stopped doing the hunter/survivor/etc challenges or mini-games (the challenges are starting to get stupid and the mini-games suck) and am just doing stranger/plot stuff.  

Maybe it's time to head back to something like Resonance of Fate or start another play through of something else.

-Rasix
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2892 on: June 10, 2010, 04:13:48 AM

Since Uncharted 1 was the shortest game I've played since Halo3, I'm now thinking about the unthinkable and breaking out the Russian game, Void.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2893 on: June 10, 2010, 04:16:09 AM

Finished up Alan Wake.  3D Dot Game Heroes should be arriving later today.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2894 on: June 10, 2010, 04:44:52 AM

Still Red Dead Redemtion, and back on Orbis to balance the fast paced action out. Fooling around with the Creation Mapscript with nice results so far. Its maps feel more local area to me, making for better storytelling in the head.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #2895 on: June 10, 2010, 07:01:10 AM

Super Street Fighter 4 will be replacing SC2 beta as the competitive game in my life.  My old main was Guile, so it's pretty awesome that he doesn't suck anymore.  Gonna try to pick up Ibuki and/or Dudley as well, we'll see how that goes. 

Unfortunately, I just bought a cheap arcade stick which I can't control worth a damn.  I think it's just me being used to the controller, and not the stick (I hope).  If anyone wants to play some SSF4 matches against a not-so-good-player on PS3 network, let me know!
WayAbvPar

Reply #2896 on: June 10, 2010, 07:32:26 AM

Just started up with LOTRO. So far, so good. Nice to see an online game with some actual colors besides brown.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2897 on: June 10, 2010, 03:02:46 PM

You'll love the Lone Lands!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2898 on: June 11, 2010, 12:12:43 AM

Reinstalled Lotro again, I blame the F2P thread . Got bored after 20 minutes. I blame me.

Red Dead Redemption is pure love, but I can't get used to console play for any decent amount of time.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2899 on: June 11, 2010, 08:51:37 AM

What with SC2 beta running out, I'm back to playing with myself.

Heartbreak

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2900 on: June 11, 2010, 08:59:26 AM

To pass the time before SC2 launch I grabbed Dead Space on the cheap.  That should be fun.

Still playing Red Dead, but I'm pretty bored with it. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:18:39 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2901 on: June 11, 2010, 09:06:02 AM

Eagerly awaiting the World War II Online servers to come back up with the new patch running a nice fresh campaign.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2902 on: June 11, 2010, 09:26:23 AM

I haven't posted on this page.

GTA4 and FFH2.

Nabbed a SWAT truck last night in GTA4. Just cleared a 4 or 5 star wanted level and my cop car had no rear wheels and was smoking. SWAT truck that had rolled to get me was at a red light, shot the driver and grabbed it for the heck of it. It's such a fun diversionary game, still not up to where I was the first time I played it. Kinda bummed that it bugged on me and didn't open Roman's apartment in Algonquin because I was under fire when he called me and I had to hang up or get shot to death. Dammit.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:32:41 AM by Sky »
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2903 on: June 11, 2010, 09:30:40 AM

DoW II & it's expansion since I got them both off Steam for cheap.

My queue still has Mass Effect II, Dragons Age and Tropico 3 in it as well.  At the moment I get about an hour to play a game in the morning and maybe a 2 or 3 hour stint on most Sundays so it may be a year before I clear my back log.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2904 on: June 11, 2010, 09:33:51 AM

My queue is pretty long, too. Even discounting Steam stuff (which is huge now), I've got Risen, Sacred 2 and RE4 sitting on the shelf unopened.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: