Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:53:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2231691 times)
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #2380 on: January 18, 2010, 08:11:57 PM

Still cannot decide about whether to get Bayonetta and Darksiders.

I recently picked up Darksiders and am finding it really satisfying. It's like an old school dungeon hack&slash seasoned with some puzzle solving and light platforming.

Folks seem to love Bayonetta but I played the demo and it is far too frantic and fruity for my tastes.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2381 on: January 18, 2010, 08:17:11 PM

Not fruity ^_^ I've never seen a video game chick with a bigger set of balls
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2382 on: January 19, 2010, 03:37:42 AM

STO the last few days but I have IL-2 Sturmovik patiently waiting at the taxiway and I need to decide if I'm going to cancel WoW and/or LOTRO to make room for STO.

Probably WoW.  My urge to run old instances has been satisfied.  For now.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2383 on: January 19, 2010, 07:22:08 AM

I've been mostly playing IL-2 again. I found this site here: http://www.mission4today.com with a bunch of free missions to download, done by fans. Some nice 'historical' missions. One I liked is based on the Australian engagement in Damascus as part of the Allied push. You only get to fly a Tigershark, which as cool as it looks, is a very hairy plane to maneuver. Two remakes of the Battle of Britain, from either side. Quite challenging to go up against the BF-109s in a Hurricane, which despite its great armament, had very poor power by contrast. One of the campaigns tries to accurately reflect some battles by number of planes launched, object at ports and even train traffic.  Bit tough on the vid card, despite the game being 9 years old.

I also am enjoying brief sorties into Birds of Prey, which is best described as the prettier but more superficial younger cousin of IL-2.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2384 on: January 19, 2010, 12:35:32 PM

Borderlands again, PC.  Not enough brainpower for anything more involved.

Well... actually started on the recent Lego Indiana Jones game.  It is an actual improvement, both visually and gameplaywise.  I don't regret buying it, rather I regret buying the previous one.  Also, I don't understand what the fuck is going on in the Crystal Skull part of the game.  I imagine that Indiana Jones teams up with Teen Wolf to fight Soviets over the thing in the trunk from Repo Man.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #2385 on: January 19, 2010, 12:47:56 PM

I just finished Stalker: Clear Sky. It went significantly downhill the last 30% of the game, from a pretty nice open world shooter to a completely linear railfest. If they'll just fix that and add a couple of new features, Stalker: Pripyat will be awesome.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2386 on: January 19, 2010, 12:56:23 PM

Also, annoying_stereotypes++.

Despite that, and the large laundry list of things never to do in a jrpg, and the incredibly bad voice acting, I actually beat Infinite Undiscovery.  It won points with me for being relatively short, and actually having half decent pacing once you got past the first few hours.  Would not really recommend though.  Check-minus for effort  since the underlying gameplay wasn't bad, once they actually let you do it.

Back to working on the Witcher now.  Chapter 2 was hideously long, but I finally finished it.  I'm actually hoping the remaining ones aren't nearly as long as that one, otherwise I might lose interest.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2387 on: January 19, 2010, 01:02:55 PM

... Indiana Jones teams up with Teen Wolf to fight Soviets over the thing in the trunk from Repo Man.

That sounds like the best game ever.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2388 on: January 19, 2010, 01:21:27 PM

preordering that

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2389 on: January 19, 2010, 01:37:55 PM

... Indiana Jones teams up with Teen Wolf to fight Soviets over the thing in the trunk from Repo Man.

That sounds like the best game ever.

I suppose I should write a letter to Traveler's Tales about this.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2390 on: January 19, 2010, 02:19:32 PM

Borderlands again, PC.  Not enough brainpower for anything more involved.

Well... actually started on the recent Lego Indiana Jones game.  It is an actual improvement, both visually and gameplaywise.  I don't regret buying it, rather I regret buying the previous one.  Also, I don't understand what the fuck is going on in the Crystal Skull part of the game.  I imagine that Indiana Jones teams up with Teen Wolf to fight Soviets over the thing in the trunk from Repo Man.

I 100%ed the Complete Star Wars Lego game. One of only 2 games I've done that with. The (first) Indy game didn't have the same zing. Possibly because the Star Wars movies have a huge ensemble of characters, while the Indy movies have Indy, James Bond and Gimili (plus Short Round and a rotating set of useless/helpless token girlies, if you're into that sort of thing).

Does the second one simply have better puzzles? I've read that it doesn't compile the original game into itself like Lego SW Complete did, but has levels based on scenes from the previous films, but different scenes. Or something like that.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2391 on: January 20, 2010, 11:58:09 AM

Back to finish up Valk Chronicles.  Gorgeous game. 

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2392 on: January 21, 2010, 08:45:09 AM

Does the second one simply have better puzzles? I've read that it doesn't compile the original game into itself like Lego SW Complete did, but has levels based on scenes from the previous films, but different scenes. Or something like that.

I have only just "finished" the Crystal Skull part so I still don't know what the other levels look like.

The improvements are specifically in the gameplay, although I am now getting a tad annoyed at some of the hub areas.  On the one hand, the hub area for a section is in fact interesting now and there are multiple ones.  Think about the Batcave in Lego Batman being replaced with a larger version with a different entrance to each story level instead of just hopping in a different vehicle.  Or, if you have only played Star Wars, putting the level entrances in a map of Mos Eisley instead of the cantina.  Like if LegoTown was enlarged and turned into the hub.  Also add in hidden entrances to bonus levels which you generally need some specific person unlocked to gain entrance to.  Overall I think it is an improvement.

The Free Play mode is basically replaced with a replay mode where you are in the same level but it is nighttime.  You can only take in the two people you entered with, which requires some thought before you bother to go in, in that some require females (high jump) or spears or explosives, etc.  That part could be more streamlined, as could be the fact that you have to chase down the guy you want to be.

You'll still have that problem where all of the characters are Indy, one of his girlfriends, a sidekick, and interchangeable white and brown villains.  Vehicles still control like shit, however now you can put them into reverse, which is a big help in some cases.

It might just be me, but quite a few of the puzzles require a moment of thought, and I consider this an improvement.

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #2393 on: January 21, 2010, 08:15:35 PM

Am playing WoW, but am burning out.  Want to hit 250 achievements (at 238) before I do so.

(side note : SSD + WoW = Dalaran in 8-10 seconds on first start)

Trying to get into Mass Effect - it almost feels too intellectual for me to pick up casually, like asking someone to play Civ4 for 20 minutes at a time.  I have always been hit-or-miss with Bioware.  Witcher was a very pleasant surprise, but the writing was done by an entirely different team, so that makes sense.

Pondering getting out the USB wheel for NFS: Prostreet.  We'll see where that one goes.

...Or I could just reload KotoR2 for the 87 millionth time and try what was released of TSLRP.  "Power doesn't corrupt - it attracts the corruptible."   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:32:35 PM by Minvaren »

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2394 on: January 21, 2010, 08:33:37 PM

Trying to get into Mass Effect - it almost feels too intellectual for me to pick up casually, like asking someone to play Civ4 for 20 minutes at a time.  I have always been hit-or-miss with Bioware.  Witcher was a very pleasant surprise, but the writing was done by an entirely different team, so that makes sense.

Head scratch

-Rasix
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2395 on: January 21, 2010, 11:12:24 PM

Witcher was made by an European developer. They just licenced the Aurora Engine from Bioware. That is, as far as I know, the only connection.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2396 on: January 22, 2010, 08:18:20 AM

Head scratch

Yeah, double the  Head scratch Once you get past a lot of the initial info dump cinematics, it's very easy to get into for half-an-hour then get out. It's hard to STOP playing after that half-hour, but for me, I've been playing it in between 45 minute to 90 minute chunks of time. I'm still enjoying the hell out of it.

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #2397 on: January 22, 2010, 09:42:35 AM

Once you get past a lot of the initial info dump cinematics...

Ah, I seem to have found my problem.  I just finished talking to the council for the first time.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2398 on: January 22, 2010, 10:07:35 AM

Picked up Assassin's Creed 2 and Uncharted 2 finally.

Assassin's Creed 2 improves a lot of stuff from the first one but fuck whoever thought it was a good idea to add health potions and blacksmiths to the game. Yeah, I sure enjoy having to find a doctor every single time I miss a jump. Also feels a lot more linear despite the cities being more varied and populated. I was also apparently the only person who didn't get annoyed by the death soliloquies of everyone I killed. Now I have to fuck off and read minibooks and look through notes and try to find glyphs on shit to pick up the plot.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2399 on: January 22, 2010, 11:14:07 PM

Saboteur (again!), now that I'm done with Assassin's Creed 2.  Way more polished than the studio (Pandemic) would lead you to believe, and blowing up sniper towers never ceases to be fun.  The voice acting is still pretty terrible, but the actual gameplay is still a riot (sometimes literally).  Mostly, I'm killing time until Mass Effect 2.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2400 on: January 23, 2010, 07:28:52 PM

I finished Brutal Legend a second time, and it was much better than the first time.  Doing all the side quests is key.  Also, playing on easy so the annoying combat doesn't take as long.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2401 on: January 23, 2010, 08:41:33 PM

I have only just "finished" the Crystal Skull part so I still don't know what the other levels look like.

The improvements are specifically in the gameplay, although I am now getting a tad annoyed at some of the hub areas.  On the one hand, the hub area for a section is in fact interesting now and there are multiple ones.  Think about the Batcave in Lego Batman being replaced with a larger version with a different entrance to each story level instead of just hopping in a different vehicle.  Or, if you have only played Star Wars, putting the level entrances in a map of Mos Eisley instead of the cantina.  Like if LegoTown was enlarged and turned into the hub.  Also add in hidden entrances to bonus levels which you generally need some specific person unlocked to gain entrance to.  Overall I think it is an improvement.

The Free Play mode is basically replaced with a replay mode where you are in the same level but it is nighttime.  You can only take in the two people you entered with, which requires some thought before you bother to go in, in that some require females (high jump) or spears or explosives, etc.  That part could be more streamlined, as could be the fact that you have to chase down the guy you want to be.

You'll still have that problem where all of the characters are Indy, one of his girlfriends, a sidekick, and interchangeable white and brown villains.  Vehicles still control like shit, however now you can put them into reverse, which is a big help in some cases.

It might just be me, but quite a few of the puzzles require a moment of thought, and I consider this an improvement.

hm... I'm not sure of those sound like improvements to me. I really liked the "take a team" aspect of LSW, and I have onl;y played about 10 mins of L Bat Man. I was also happy enough with the smaller hub size in SW, and less so with the expanded hub in L Indy 1. I mean, it sounds like they're getting away from it just being a hub. Dunno, I'll doubtlessly pick it up when it's super cheap, and then take a year to play it. The first Indy didn't have the charm of SW though.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2402 on: January 25, 2010, 04:08:21 AM

I finished Batman:AA last night. What a great game, I even did all the Riddler stuff because it was so brilliantly executed. Usually I ignore all collectibles. Now I have to get back to my Mass Effect PC playthrough, Ebil Shepard has to save the galaxy by Thursday!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2403 on: January 25, 2010, 10:00:25 AM

hm... I'm not sure of those sound like improvements to me. I really liked the "take a team" aspect of LSW, and I have onl;y played about 10 mins of L Bat Man. I was also happy enough with the smaller hub size in SW, and less so with the expanded hub in L Indy 1. I mean, it sounds like they're getting away from it just being a hub. Dunno, I'll doubtlessly pick it up when it's super cheap, and then take a year to play it. The first Indy didn't have the charm of SW though.

I am not sure they are improvements, either. Ohhhhh, I see.  We have developed the habit of ducking into a bonus/treasure mode level to see what it needs from us, then run out to find a pair of people.  Many times it is someone that requires unlocking in some manner.  This could be a story-mode unlock or a secret-in-the-hub unlock.  Hub unlocks involve things like vehicle races and various oddities.  I can see where they are trying to go, but unfortunately they are not there yet.  I could go on but my short advice for people who are not Lego game nutjobs is to wait for the next one.  My wife and I are having fun with co-op, though.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2404 on: January 25, 2010, 10:05:40 AM

Borderlands, PC, no mods.
Lego Indiana Jones 2, PS3.

Klaus Schulze, Bayreuth Return.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2405 on: January 25, 2010, 11:27:45 AM

I've been hitting up my free month of ChampO. I like the game, the mechanics are a bit odd and I'm still mystified about picking my character focus, but it's a fun beat-em-up with very cool characters. I even teamed up a few times!

Most people, given a flexible and awesome character creation tool, will make something with a horrific color scheme, hoods, spikes and skulls. I mostly created my favorite CoX guys to start. Cosmic Anomaly, energy blaster turned force powers guy; Moleculator rad/rad defender turned power armor; Cpt Croaker, mercs mastermind turned guns powerset. Croaker took the acrobat travel power, that's a heck of a lot of fun. Oh, and Default: he's just the default male they give you when you get into character creation.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2406 on: January 25, 2010, 04:58:57 PM

I finished Brutal Legend a second time, and it was much better than the first time.  Doing all the side quests is key.  Also, playing on easy so the annoying combat doesn't take as long.
Why did you play it again, though?
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #2407 on: January 28, 2010, 01:38:11 PM

Finishing off Bioshock (very LTTP), just got Assassins Creed II in the mail, looking forward to getting to that!

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #2408 on: January 28, 2010, 03:32:49 PM

Woohooo just got The Boss emblem in MGS4. Total time was 3hr and 32 min. Cept now that I have all the sweet guns and what not, I have no desire to use any of them because I am so burnt out on the game.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2409 on: January 30, 2010, 10:16:15 AM

For no reason I can discern, I played through HL2 over the last couple days. Bits of fun, lots of annoying. I remembered how annoying the (long, LONG) airboat and buggy sections were, but forgot how much other stuff also sucked. Jumping puzzles, and the strider/gunship bits.

Some fun, but lots of very long feeling parts. Also playing on hard doesn't work when the NPC you're accompanying can get 1 shot at range, and runs ahead.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2410 on: January 30, 2010, 11:16:02 AM

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 beta.  Enjoying it a lot, posted at length in the thread for that game if you want more info.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #2411 on: January 30, 2010, 11:31:16 AM

Trying to muster the will to play Global Agenda's pre-launch (or Prototype and NBA2K10 that I have in from GameFly) instead of Mass Effect 2.  It's not going well.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2412 on: January 30, 2010, 01:09:28 PM

Torchlight

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2413 on: January 30, 2010, 05:36:35 PM

I kinda ran out of steam on Bayonetta, I think the motorcycle and missle shooting bits did me in. They would have been cute at two minutes long, but they were both way overlong and the joke wore thin. Pretty close to the end so I'll try to slog through it, then onto Klonoa remake.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2414 on: January 31, 2010, 07:20:12 AM

ME2. And then back to DA:O. And then eventually Red Faction. Hopefully before BF: BC2.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: