Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 02:17:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? Rendakor and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2231457 times)
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #2205 on: December 29, 2009, 10:16:04 AM

Re: Fallout 3, I went to the spaceship right after Megaton. Then I did some more stuff, and now after visiting Galaxy Radio, I'm headed to The Pitt. Crazy unbalanced. They shoulda put more challening stuff in the basic game, with every expansion, in order to keep things interesting. Still, it's fun to explore.

I'm getting a lot of CTD's too, and I never got them before.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #2206 on: December 29, 2009, 10:33:28 AM

I guess I'm just wanting the game to be something it's not.

This. Games have to be one thing or another, they cannot be all things. Linear has advantages and disadvantages that sets them apart from open worlds, and vice versa.

I find this kind of complaint (unfortunately) to be a common one, "This game did not include X feature that I like, which made me dislike the game". Imagine if we treated movies that way: we'd be complaining that Terminator 2 didn't have a nice, warm hearted comic relief character; Avatar lacked being based on a true story; and Julie & Julia lacked any action scenes, guns and explosions.

We complain about these features, but we have to realize that isn't the *point*. I recall when Schild disliked Left 4 Dead because it lacked character customization, but that wasn't the point. By no means was Left 4 Dead designed to be a game based around character customization, equally that Uncharted 2 isn't designed to be an open world game, equally that Terminator 2 isn't a comedy, and Julia & Julia isn't an action flick.

Now I'm definitely not directing this criticism at you alone, or really at all because you're quite self-observant of the matter. This is more a post directed at anyone, and something I've been wanting to say for a while.

</rant>

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2207 on: December 29, 2009, 11:45:10 AM

It's a perfectly valid reason to not like games. I once saw someone play a jrpg while I was eating an egg salad sandwich that gave me gas. I now hate all jrpg.

Now if you want to complain about people saying their personal likes not being serviced leading to their proclaiming it's a bad game, that's an entirely different (and valid) complaint.

I'm not saying all jrpgs suck, I'm just saying they remind me of sulfurous flatulence.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2208 on: December 29, 2009, 12:14:51 PM

Someday someone is going to combine the good features of Mount & Blade, the King Arthur thing, and a real deep story RPG. That is going to be so goddamn awesome.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2209 on: December 29, 2009, 12:31:35 PM

And robots.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2210 on: December 29, 2009, 12:39:41 PM

Japanese robots. Sir Rance Robot.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2211 on: December 29, 2009, 12:40:14 PM

League of Legends (been just trying out champs and solo q'ing lately)
Rumble Fighter (not much, but still fun, so many fighting styles out now)
Borderlands (still need to get my hunter to 2.5 and do the zombie island dlc w/ 4)

Thanks to the Steam Sale
Dead Space (so well done so far, about 1 hr in)
Jade Empire (haven't installed it yet)
Zombie Driver (pretty fun in very small doses, but not much depth surprise surprise)

Things I still need to finish and might but who knows
Persona 3 (final boss has charm?  fuck you game)
Persona 4 (almost there, liked this cast much more)
FFXII (ugh, I'm stuck need to grind dont wanna)
DMC4 (Bayonetta has so much more sex appeal!)

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2212 on: December 29, 2009, 12:53:04 PM

Dragon Age - Just got it for christmas, enjoying it much so far.  I'm actually enjoying the slow pace of the dialogue a lot more than I thought I would.  I never feel too rushed to go off to combat.

Resubbed to Lotro - Just got the urge to do this what with the recent expansion.  My character isn't high enough to get to the brand new content yet so it doesn't matter, but I am remembering why I liked the game to begin with, the game world is really fantastic.

TF2 - My shooter of choice since release.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2213 on: December 29, 2009, 04:50:37 PM

Le sigh, I spoke too soon. Now it just crashes when I try to enter the Vault 101 Atrium.

Stupid question, but have you installed all of the patches and mods in their "correct" order?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2214 on: December 29, 2009, 05:01:31 PM

Re: Fallout 3, I went to the spaceship right after Megaton. Then I did some more stuff, and now after visiting Galaxy Radio, I'm headed to The Pitt. Crazy unbalanced. They shoulda put more challening stuff in the basic game, with every expansion, in order to keep things interesting. Still, it's fun to explore.

I'm getting a lot of CTD's too, and I never got them before.

Yeah it's a shame. I'm skipping any expansion stuff because this is my first play through. 'Very Hard' it feels like 'Normal' with that, so any uber gear from expansions would likely ruin it completely.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2215 on: December 29, 2009, 05:26:44 PM

Someday someone is going to combine the good features of Mount & Blade, the King Arthur thing, and a real deep story RPG. That is going to be so goddamn awesome.

I hope not, you'd cease to be. :(

God Save the Horn Players
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #2216 on: December 29, 2009, 06:19:03 PM

Well well, I'm back playing WoW and instantly hooked up with a bunch of RPers. RP is fun. Dirty, dirty RP.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2217 on: December 30, 2009, 02:30:25 AM

Le sigh, I spoke too soon. Now it just crashes when I try to enter the Vault 101 Atrium.

Stupid question, but have you installed all of the patches and mods in their "correct" order?

The GOTY version installed everything by itself and was fully patched when I first ran it. I have no mods yet. I'm also playing again, because deleting fallout.ini made the ctd go away.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:33:10 AM by jakonovski »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2218 on: December 30, 2009, 08:25:50 AM

FFH2, Burnout: Paradise and some Torchlight. Nice mix of moods.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2219 on: December 30, 2009, 10:36:28 AM

Still tons of FIFA 10 (300+ Virtual Pro games and counting)

Some Silent Hunter III and IV (thanks, Steam sale!)

Poker (need to grind out another 5k hands or so before 8-Feb to earn a $300 bonus...that is A LOT of poker)

Bought BF2 for trotski so I can demand he come play it with me- should be on this weekend. PM me if you wanna join our squad of misfits  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Plan to get some XCom in over my 4 day New Year weekend

Really want to pick up Fallout 3 GOTY but am balking at the price. The Steam sale has spoiled me! Ditto for CoD: WaW, but that is a little more reasonable (at least today).

I can't remember when I have had so many fun games to play. And 2010 is going to be even better. I really need to win the lottery so I can have time to play everything. I guess the best start would be to buy a ticket, since that would marginally increase my chance of winning.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2220 on: January 01, 2010, 11:21:23 AM

Playing Mass Effect - when it doesn't fucking crash for no reason that is. Did Bioware hire out Obsidian to do this?

Sprinkling in some PS2 games, including much Madden NFL 10. Just got 3 games for the price of 2 from Blockbuster that I haven't even loaded up yet - Xenosaga, Suikoden (?) and Front Mission 4 that will probably be in the cycle somewhere as well.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2221 on: January 01, 2010, 11:42:30 AM

Playing Mass Effect - when it doesn't fucking crash for no reason that is. Did Bioware hire out Obsidian to do this?

I don't recall having one crash during my recent playthrough.  There was one time though when the Mako started bouncing around crazily and then started spinning upwards into the sky, and I had to reload my last save.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2222 on: January 01, 2010, 11:49:20 AM

Never had a crash either.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2223 on: January 01, 2010, 12:31:38 PM

Shit, I wish I had no crashes. I'll play for an hour or so, then bam, the game will switch from one mode to another (like out of conversation back into the game world) and the keyboard and mouse will stop responding. The mouse cursor is a regular windows cursor floating over the game, but no keystrokes or mouse clicks will make a difference. Or it'll just CTD. Yes, it is patched. No, I haven't looked at the forums. I haven't had enough time to sit down for more than 1-2 hour stretches.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2224 on: January 01, 2010, 06:21:57 PM

GTA IV.  The driving is fantastic but otherwise I miss CJ and the more-fun feeling of the previous generation.  Will try Gay Tony soon.

Fuel, in which I have hit a quick roadblock where I am losing races now.

LotRO, in which I still have way too much to do.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2225 on: January 01, 2010, 07:43:26 PM

LotRO - Doing silly little quests for appearance cloaks.
Battlefield: Bad Company - Finished it on normal, now ripping it up on hard without any cares about hunting shit down.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2226 on: January 01, 2010, 08:04:54 PM

Played a couple hours of Uncharted today.  Not impressed overall.  Might ditch it and give Brutal Legend another go instead.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #2227 on: January 01, 2010, 08:37:36 PM

Played a couple hours of Uncharted today.  Not impressed overall.  Might ditch it and give Brutal Legend another go instead.

This almost caused my brain to rip asunder.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2228 on: January 02, 2010, 12:34:27 AM

I had to stop playing E:TW and Fallout3 for a while, because there's one of those "bring 2 old games, get a new release for €1" offers on Gamestop again (I must have Darksiders day one). Lots 360 backlog so now I'm forcing myself to play through Condemned 2 over the weekend. Not that I need forcing anymore, it turned out to be much better than the first game, at least so far.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2229 on: January 02, 2010, 12:41:10 AM

Played a couple hours of Uncharted today.  Not impressed overall.  Might ditch it and give Brutal Legend another go instead.

Yeah, I almost BiiFed it but I decided I didn't want to be responsible for asploding your head.   awesome, for real  

I'm enjoying the story and cutscenes well enough, the puzzles are fun, and I don't even mind the jumping puzzles, but the combat does absolutely nothing for me (fucking thumbsticks), and it seems like the further I go the more combat there is and the lower the fun:annoyance ratio gets.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2230 on: January 02, 2010, 01:52:58 AM

Played a couple hours of Uncharted today.  Not impressed overall.  Might ditch it and give Brutal Legend another go instead.

Yeah, I almost BiiFed it but I decided I didn't want to be responsible for asploding your head.   awesome, for real  

I'm enjoying the story and cutscenes well enough, the puzzles are fun, and I don't even mind the jumping puzzles, but the combat does absolutely nothing for me (fucking thumbsticks), and it seems like the further I go the more combat there is and the lower the fun:annoyance ratio gets.

You're not alone.
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #2231 on: January 02, 2010, 01:54:34 AM

I just finished Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, and was relatively disappointed. Even keeping in mind that I only bought this for the button mashing chaos, the charm from the first one was missing, so much so that after the first 6 chapters I knew that I would just be trying to finish it so I could justify going back and playing through Uncharted 2 again. Although what pissed me off even more than the terrible storyline and cliche plot moments, was how easy it was. I played through it on Warrior and downed most of the bosses, including the last 6, by stocking up on herbs and grains. Twas bullshit.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2232 on: January 02, 2010, 01:58:50 AM

I played through it on Warrior and downed most of the bosses, including the last 6, by stocking up on herbs and grains. Twas bullshit.

I keep waiting for a game self-conscious enough to include a bossfight that is explicitly a drinking contest. Last one under the table wins. 
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2233 on: January 02, 2010, 02:09:47 AM

Oh good, I'm not insane.  I'd remembered the complaints about the implausibility of the bad guys always spawning ahead of you, and was prepared to disengage my brain for that, but I'd somehow forgotten the part about the actual gameplay for those sections being a tedious chore as well.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2234 on: January 02, 2010, 09:10:00 AM

I'm playing Ass Creed 2, it's actually really, really good.  I guess it's just sort of gotten overlooked in all the holiday hubbub.

Probably the best 'open world' game so far.  Now, if the give it a future-modern setting and make all the buildings enterable and a cyberpunk theme...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2235 on: January 02, 2010, 11:25:05 AM

Flirting with a second DA playthrough as a mage on nightmare, screwing with the new stuff in TF2, and actually enjoying Shattered Horizon. Also dabbling with SpellForce 2: Gold Edition.

And I wanted to play MW: LL, but something about the multiplayer login process screws up on my system and crashes Crysis. undecided

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #2236 on: January 02, 2010, 11:26:46 AM

After Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, I think I'm going to have to play MGS4 again. I need some solid narrative in my life. I also think I'll give MGO a go.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2237 on: January 02, 2010, 01:10:40 PM

Tales of Vesparia (finally), BlazBlue
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2238 on: January 02, 2010, 01:46:47 PM

Started on Xenosaga last night, after trying out the Suikoden 4 disc and finding out the disc is bad and I must take it back to Blockbuster. Xenosaga I'm not sure about - the way combat is done seems to rip me right out of the game itself. But it was interesting enough that I will probably continue it, if for no other reason than to find out if I really like or hate JRPG's.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2239 on: January 02, 2010, 01:47:53 PM

About halfway through Mirror's Edge at the moment.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: