Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:06:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2231530 times)
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #1820 on: October 11, 2009, 08:52:14 PM

Just started in on Zeno Clash. I'm not sure how I feel about the art, but I definitely approve of the punching. I just wish using a sword felt more like Dark eEssiah.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1821 on: October 11, 2009, 09:27:25 PM

NWN2 - Got to where I get my own keep and kinda lost interest. I may need to just use a console command to adjust some influence scores to see the stuff I'm interested in before I start it up.
Dead Space - I've been having more fun watching someone else play the game than actually playing it myself, so I'm still in Chapter 2.
Assassin's Creed - On the last two assassinations. Very very annoying street and building layouts for the last two areas though.

I still need to buy Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls. Wanna get my current group of games done before I waste any more money though.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1822 on: October 12, 2009, 06:22:59 AM

Finished Mana Khemia and started Mana Khemia 2, which should possibly be called Mana Khemia2 since the weirdness has started immediately.  This game is too weeaboo for my wife.  I, however, find it hilarious.  The alchemy system is much refined, too.  Nine thumbs up.

The Boom Blox sequel, whatever it is called, is also an improvement and pretty cool.

Last Remnant, ready for what I assume is the final fight.  Seems I missed some important quests but I guess I'll get those on the next go-around. Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1823 on: October 12, 2009, 08:30:57 AM

X3TC and Guitar Hero.

Took out my first 2 Xenon M2's (called Destroyers but are really Battleships in mission objective terms) with my shiny new Shrike.  On paper I should have been toast but the realities of AI weapon tracking and lateral movement meant that the battles were almost trivial.  I say 'almost' because a wrong move would have hurt severely but as it was my shields hardly got dinged and I'm only out a few thousand credits in ammo and Combat Drone replacements.  Also, half a dozen flak cannon pop fighter patrols like zits on a teenager working at a McDonalds.

My Marines are STILL training!  But getting close to being usable.  According to the stats I've owned 54 ships but I doubt if I have more than 12 or 13 at the moment.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1824 on: October 12, 2009, 10:34:08 AM

Last Remnant, ready for what I assume is the final fight.  Seems I missed some important quests but I guess I'll get those on the next go-around. Ohhhhh, I see.

I'm just shy of the second disk right now, and damn if the Gates of Hell fight wasn't utterly epic.  It's funny that Square can get so many epic moments right in this game, and yet so totally fail the last few Final Fantasy games in that regard.  The closest they've come in recent history was the very end of Crisis Core.

And no, I'm not going to listen to you.  MK2 stays in the box until I finish Last Remnant dammit.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1825 on: October 12, 2009, 10:57:44 AM

And no, I'm not going to listen to you.  MK2 stays in the box until I finish Last Remnant dammit.

Stay strong.  MK2 will eat your chibi little soul.  It's fantastic and I love the changes to the alchemy system.

Gates of Hell was a big, big pain and what caused me to go on that bender in Berechevaltelle where I went from BR63 to BR97 with a Chain of over 1000.  After that it was much less of a pounding but still bothersome; no one puts a beatdown on my unions like my own fucking unions since each unit can one-shot anyone else.  Painful.

Even better, there's a Secret Boss version of Gates in the Aqueducts that, seriously, I have not really fought since I can't make it through three waves of homoculi at BR110.  I'm hoping that the third wave is the last so that the Super Gates can make a quick appearance to eat everyone on my next attempt.  That fight is worse than the Eldritch Dragon (unbeaten), who is similar to and worse than The Fallen.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1826 on: October 12, 2009, 12:06:39 PM

The fight itself didn't give me too much trouble, honestly.  I think I was BR 60 when I did it but it's possible I just got lucky though.  I was able to get most of my groups to attack it for a round, then drop out and heal, so no one died after the first time a group got resurrected by that particular bit of shenanigans.  I just thought the look, feel, the scene leading into it, and the way Rush's summon happens with the "oh hey, you think you're going to block my power, huh, lemme try something else" was pretty epic overall.

edit:  Actually, now that I think about it, I did get lucky.  The first group he took down was my magic group lead by Pagus.  Two things were lucky here.  One, that was my only group without someone that could resurrect, so getting them back wasn't really an issue.  Two, the bastards didn't Black Out my whole team, and instead opted to melee attack for almost nothing.

The eldritch dragon isn't happening anytime soon though.  I did beat the ancient dragon also last night though, and the rare spawn Go which seemed like a slightly more powerful version of it. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:14:27 PM by Ard »
evan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1827 on: October 12, 2009, 12:15:55 PM

Back to Fallout 3, which is like 10 times better when it's properly modded. Probably spend about as much time modding as I do playing. I vow to never play another Bethesda game until at least a year after release.

Gamebryo engine still a fickle bitch but I have learned to live with it.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #1828 on: October 12, 2009, 12:27:12 PM

Played and beat Uncharted in two sitting this weekend. There were scenes in the game that drove me to absolute rage, mainly because my hands turn into blobs of putty with any sort of twin stick first person aiming. I am bad at it. That being said, I trudged through it on normal, and I'm ready for Uncharted 2, I guess.

I think I broke the armrest on my couch, though.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1829 on: October 12, 2009, 12:29:36 PM

edit:  Actually, now that I think about it, I did get lucky.  The first group he took down was my magic group lead by Pagus.  Two things were lucky here.  One, that was my only group without someone that could resurrect, so getting them back wasn't really an issue.  Two, the bastards didn't Black Out my whole team, and instead opted to melee attack for almost nothing.

awesome, for real

I find myself regretting not putting Pagus in from the get-go since my ranged union is rather lame, but it's way too late for that now.  I tried swapping out one of my leaders but that was mostly a disaster, so I'm keeping the Usual Six: Rush, Oakes, McGrady, Blocter, Torgal, David.  If there is a second playthrough, I'm going to be smarter about who I put in (Pagus and Irina likely in) since replacing anyone past the mid-point is just untenable even if they are non-special leaders like Oakes and McGrady.  I guess I'm not really stuck with McGrady but I'm loathe to yank him and put Pagus in due to the hit to my heal/resurrect ability.  Plus he's not bad with a halberd.  I'm hoping the sequel will address this particular problem.

You need to wrap up LR so you can play some MK2.

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #1830 on: October 12, 2009, 12:37:24 PM

Did you guys manage to get through the story fluently or did you need to do some grinding?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1831 on: October 12, 2009, 12:52:14 PM

I find myself regretting not putting Pagus in from the get-go since my ranged union is rather lame, but it's way too late for that now.  I tried swapping out one of my leaders but that was mostly a disaster, so I'm keeping the Usual Six: Rush, Oakes, McGrady, Blocter, Torgal, David. 

Yeah, Pagus is a monster.  That's all that really needs to be said.  Currently using Rush, Oakes (who is also a pint sized monster, what the hell do those frog guys eat that causes this?), David, Caedmon, Pagus, and .. I'm not sure.  Might have been a generic or maybe Blocter, can't remember.  I should be using Torgal since he gets a remnant at some point.  I want to use Baulson also, but don't really have a slot for him.  Caedmon is just hard to justify not using.

Did you guys manage to get through the story fluently or did you need to do some grinding?

If you're talking Last Remnant, here's the thing:  treat it like a SaGa game, there are no direct levels in game.   There's an overall battle rank that sorta gauges your power level, but it's not the best indicator.  Do all the subquests you run across also, the main game only exposes a small part of the world map by itself.  The quests and general exploration open up the rest.  If you do those, the main story isn't too hard.  I can't comment on how hard it'd be otherwise since I like exploring personally, which might be part of why I like this game so much.   As far as grinding goes, well, I still run into normal random encounters that curb stomp me, but you'll see those coming, since they tend to be giant dragons just standing around in the middle of no where.  Size is a pretty good indicator of when you're about to get your nuts stomped on.

Also, if you have the option, get the PC version.  The Xbox version is but a shadow of what the PC version is.  Despite that, so far I've been liking the game a lot more than any of the last few Final Fantasies.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:54:05 PM by Ard »
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #1832 on: October 13, 2009, 12:29:52 AM

Yea it was the PC version, I played until I got stuck in an unwinnable (to me) storyline bossfight where every other fight before that one had been real easy. I wondered if I needed to do some grinding or if it was because of my very random party configuration and general noobishness as how to influence combat.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1833 on: October 13, 2009, 04:00:02 AM

How are you playing on PC?  KYB or Gamepad?  Which Gamepad?  I've got this one on my list to get to... whenever I have time. 
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1834 on: October 13, 2009, 09:58:00 AM

Yea it was the PC version, I played until I got stuck in an unwinnable (to me) storyline bossfight where every other fight before that one had been real easy. I wondered if I needed to do some grinding or if it was because of my very random party configuration and general noobishness as how to influence combat.

The big trick to boss fights, for me at least, was to make sure all my parties had one or more healers of some type, most of them potion users.  Most of the bosses do a multi-deadlock, which means they can rape you over and over, especially if they have AoEs.  If one or more groups get too injured, you tell them to either standby or drop out of combat and heal, and break the deadlock.  As long as at least one group is on the boss, it'll only get one swing at that specific group, instead of nailing every single one of your parties. 

Alternately, you can also try to keep one healer group unattached from the combat, but that requires some luck getting standby, heal the others, or set up the field type commands to show up.  It's something I had trouble doing for the first third of the game until some of the leaders came into more skills, and I got some more specialized general soldiers.  It seems like the more of a skill type you stack in the party, the more likely their commands come up.  Their class type also comes into play here, but even I'm not anal enough to try to figure out a growth strategy to control that.  The info is out there on wikis though.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1835 on: October 13, 2009, 10:52:15 AM

I treated it like a Saga game alright.

Quit 2 hours in. What a dreadful piece of shit.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1836 on: October 13, 2009, 07:22:17 PM

The usual mix of LotRO, Rock Band 2, Beatles RB, Saints Row 2 co-op, Fallout 3 and Wolverine.

I need like a year or two off work to catch up on all these games.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1837 on: October 13, 2009, 07:29:37 PM

I finally got around to playing Half Life 2.  Kinda fun.  But nothing great.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1838 on: October 14, 2009, 10:52:07 AM

I finally got around to playing Half Life 2.  Kinda fun.  But nothing great.

http://www.f13.net/index.php?itemid=34#more

About some Last Remnant boss fights, for The Fallen I had to do more than just tweak my formations due to the AoE attacks: I consolidated down to two unions with ten of my best units.  This tactic allowed me to experience fewer attacks due to only having two deadlocks, plus the AoEs did not beat the shit out of my unions so much thanks to enhanced defense.  Obviously this tactic is better suited against single-union enemies since being outnumbered sucks balls (Holy Plain battle, which I did last night, turns out it is not the final), also it makes healing/reviving more of a do-or-die situation.

I treated it like a Saga game alright.

Quit 2 hours in. What a dreadful piece of shit.

Well, if you did not like the combat then you made a good choice since it's 95% combat.  That said, you don't see good combat for the first several hours; definitely not until after you gain control of your own troops.  It takes some time for the real game to start with LR, the real game being fighting, training and exploring.

Last night I played Last Remnant and Fallen Earth.  I tried to finish some quests in FE but mostly crafted.  It's insidious!  I found enough scrap iron and other garbage to make a better BB pistol, and I trained up Weaponry enough to be able to salvage useless items such as garden trowels and box cutters, so I feel like I am making progress.  I turned some pipe into BBs!

Also some Mana Khemia 2 when I can, and some LotRO yesterday.

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #1839 on: October 14, 2009, 11:38:59 AM

I finished up Zeno Clash and moved on to the next in my queue; Beyond Good and Evil. I'm definitely digging it so far. For being 6 years old it holds up remarkably well in the visuals department. It's a wonder what a strong art direction does for a game.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1840 on: October 15, 2009, 06:48:13 AM

I think the voiceovers in MK2 are going to kill me.  Over the fucking top.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1841 on: October 15, 2009, 12:46:01 PM

I've gotten a hankering for driving games lately to tide me over until FIFA 10, so I picked up my dormant copy of Gran Turismo 4 the last few nights. Damn is this a good, hard game. Also doing some Battlefield 2 - need to get back to LOTRO for the bonus xp.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1842 on: October 15, 2009, 01:02:47 PM

need to get back to LOTRO for the bonus xp.

I've been playing a lot of LotRO again, finishing out stuff on my 60. It occurs to me I should be playing my alts this week.

Now that I have intertubes, I was able to activate RF: Guerilla. The last Volition game I played was the original RF in 2001. The advances they've made in graphics and digital acting (presumably in the course of developing Saint's Row) rocked me back on my heels. And I could knock buildings down all day. Seriously, fuck the FPS stuff. I just want to cause more towers to keel over.

I'd like to get back to Mount & Blade, but LotRO is... comfort food.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #1843 on: October 15, 2009, 03:56:02 PM

"I'm playing this, I wish other people were playing this because the community is an inbred bunch of jacktards and I'm a lonely dystopia queen, please don't ignore me." Or whatever.

Oh and it s PC HL2 mod.

Fall From Heaven 2 is also good. its a Civ4 mod.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1844 on: October 15, 2009, 04:07:01 PM

Where did that come from? Was that directed at everyone reading it? At someone specific?

You're weird. We know about FFH2, have somewhat of a following, and maybe if you spent a bit more time outside the eve forums you'd know that.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1845 on: October 15, 2009, 04:34:09 PM

Yeah EVE lasted two weeks, never again!

LBP - Decided working on aces and collection completes was way better then any current MMO grind.
Burnout Paradise - Continuing on playing it to relax and beat a race here or there, after all the patching swamp poop
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1846 on: October 15, 2009, 05:03:43 PM

I'm sure Murgos knows this already, but X3TC got it's latest patch.  Removed copy protection. 

Sadly, Steam bundled X3R and X3TC in a gold box for $40.  I was hoping for a $20 sale on TC.  :(
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1847 on: October 15, 2009, 05:18:23 PM

Batman: AA.  I feel like I should be enjoying this more, but I'm not. 

-Rasix
Elerion
Terracotta Army

Reply #1848 on: October 16, 2009, 01:59:49 AM

In some feeble attempt to shorten the wait for Borderlands I tried Deus Ex last night. I have actually never played it. Inorite? I blame it on goblins.

Sadly, the pace of the game was far too slow for what I wanted. Emphasis on sneaking wasn't what my Borderlands-craving mind wanted. The outdated graphics and mechanics turned me off more than I expected also. It felt significantly older than, say, Half-life. The unique elements of it that I fully understand were revolutionary in 2000 have been partly or completely copied by newer games, so it's not as impressive anymore.

Maybe I'll pick it back up tonight and give it a fair chance. I can't help feeling like I got screwed out of one of the best games of all time simply by waiting until it was outdated.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1849 on: October 16, 2009, 06:18:17 AM

Started a new character in Demon's Souls last night.  Decided to try a "Magic." class and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't suck as much as I thought I would after not playing for so long... but I am suspicious that the patch has made the game easier.  Not as easy as using Flamethrower on a knight, but maybe a little.  I beat Phalanx, upgraded some shit, played around in 2-1 for a bit and then went to bed.

Schild defense of Deus Ex in 3... 2... 1...

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1850 on: October 16, 2009, 06:44:11 AM

Sadly, the pace of the game was far too slow for what I wanted. Emphasis on sneaking wasn't what my Borderlands-craving mind wanted. The outdated graphics and mechanics turned me off more than I expected also.

I love how "sneaking" in many games simply means walking slow.....
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1851 on: October 16, 2009, 06:59:55 AM

I'm sure Murgos knows this already, but X3TC got it's latest patch.  Removed copy protection. 

Sadly, Steam bundled X3R and X3TC in a gold box for $40.  I was hoping for a $20 sale on TC.  :(

Yeah, I was going to post about it but I haven't actually had the chance to play with it yet so I was waiting until after I had some impressions to post.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #1852 on: October 16, 2009, 09:06:51 AM

Maybe I'll pick it back up tonight and give it a fair chance. I can't help feeling like I got screwed out of one of the best games of all time simply by waiting until it was outdated.

It's a passable shooter, but the stealth game is highly overrated, largely because of the aforementioned walking slow problem.The plot was also not remarkable in any way. I'll never understand Schild's hard on for this game.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1853 on: October 16, 2009, 09:13:55 AM

None of Deus Ex's individual components made it a great game.  Anyone expecting a great shooter or great stealther would have been disappointed when it was released. Put it altogether and add a great setting and plot, and there you go. 

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1854 on: October 16, 2009, 10:50:41 AM

help help I can't stop playing Mount and Blade

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: