Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 02:39:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2231495 times)
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8330 on: December 27, 2013, 09:29:37 AM

DmC. It has Combichrist!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #8331 on: December 27, 2013, 11:04:16 AM

Despite being designed for it, I found Rogue Legacy (like most side-scrolling platformers) controls really badly with a 360 pad.
I used my PS3 controller and it worked great.  I never was a fan of the Xbox controllers...

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #8332 on: December 27, 2013, 11:44:46 AM

Is there anything to make a PS3 controller easily work yet without having to jump through hoops?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #8333 on: December 27, 2013, 11:46:13 AM

Sadly no.  PS4 controllers (minus the touchpad) are standard USB HID devices, so in theory they should be less painful.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #8334 on: December 27, 2013, 12:01:17 PM

I'm so ready for this platformer fad to go away. Lots of otherwise great games being ruined by it.

BUT I'M OLD FUCK YER SNES YOU TWATS

I could not agree any more.  God fuck I hate it.  It's like they saw Minecraft went retro with graphics, what if we do it with everything else!?  Next up we'll have a spiritual successor to pong in 3D.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8335 on: December 27, 2013, 12:26:34 PM

I expressed my displeasure in the Steam thread, but I agree, it's awful how many platformer garbage games seem to have spawned ever since games like Trine became popular.

I'm over it. We made advances in gaming for a reason. Because playing something in a 3D world is better than a shitty side-scroller.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8336 on: December 27, 2013, 01:18:05 PM

Oh hey, if anyone wants to play GT6 online I'm game. I'll recommend this game heartily, it fixes the worst faults of 5 and is extraordinarily pleasant to play.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #8337 on: December 27, 2013, 03:13:35 PM

I'm so ready for this platformer fad to go away. Lots of otherwise great games being ruined by it.

That's a strange way of looking at it, to me.

I mean, it's fine if you're tired of 2D platformers, but it's not like companies are throwing away fully functioning 3D worlds to jump on the 2D bandwagon.  No one's being hurt.

Like, five or ten years ago it was so common to hear oldsters like us bitching about how every game series went to shit once it went 3D, and there's no reason Sonic or Mario or Zelda has to be in 3D and how Metroid is going to suck now that they're making it 3D for no reason... now that we're seeing a trickle of 2D games, it's suddenly "holy shit, why are all our great 3D games being edged out by this 2D menace?"

IMO 2D is a great environment for smaller studios, who are mainly the ones I see using it.  The graphics are WAY more manageable than doing a full 3D setup, and it frees them up to experiment with gameplay a bit.  It's not like EA has announced that the next CoD is going to be a 2D platformer or anything.

Though if we're bitching about trends, the one that irritates the fuck out of ME is the whole "super difficult, like Meat Boy!" one.  That's not a retro thing, it's not how games "used" to be, it's fucking lazy level design.  "We couldn't think of any compelling way to make this challenge interesting, so we just put insta-kill spikes along every wall so that if you twitch in the wrong direction, you die!  Fortunately, you have infinite retries and the level is like ten seconds long so it's not like it matters, but you can still pretend to get hilariously pissed off at it for the people who are watching your playthrough on YouTube!"
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #8338 on: December 27, 2013, 03:38:21 PM

Though if we're bitching about trends, the one that irritates the fuck out of ME is the whole "super difficult, like Meat Boy!" one.  That's not a retro thing, it's not how games "used" to be, it's fucking lazy level design.  "We couldn't think of any compelling way to make this challenge interesting, so we just put insta-kill spikes along every wall so that if you twitch in the wrong direction, you die!  Fortunately, you have infinite retries and the level is like ten seconds long so it's not like it matters, but you can still pretend to get hilariously pissed off at it for the people who are watching your playthrough on YouTube!"

Pixel art. Fuck pixel art. It's nothing but pure nostalgia wank. The only reason pixel art existed back in the day was because of hardware limitations. It wasn't a style, it was a defect.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8339 on: December 27, 2013, 03:41:56 PM

That's a strange way of looking at it, to me.

I mean, it's fine if you're tired of 2D platformers, but it's not like companies are throwing away fully functioning 3D worlds to jump on the 2D bandwagon.  No one's being hurt.

Like, five or ten years ago it was so common to hear oldsters like us bitching about how every game series went to shit once it went 3D, and there's no reason Sonic or Mario or Zelda has to be in 3D and how Metroid is going to suck now that they're making it 3D for no reason... now that we're seeing a trickle of 2D games, it's suddenly "holy shit, why are all our great 3D games being edged out by this 2D menace?"

IMO 2D is a great environment for smaller studios, who are mainly the ones I see using it.  The graphics are WAY more manageable than doing a full 3D setup, and it frees them up to experiment with gameplay a bit.  It's not like EA has announced that the next CoD is going to be a 2D platformer or anything.

That was a lot of effort to joust a straw man. Since I'm one who complained about the rampant nonsensicle abolishment of 2D (Civilization, HoMaM, so many great 2D games...and they still look better in 2D imo).

I just don't like platformers because I wasn't playing Mario on the NES, I was playing Ultima IV on the C64. So this trend is kind of a blind spot to those slightly younger than me, weaned on the NES/SNES and many platformer style games.

Thus the part about 'otherwise great games'. I loved Terraria until it became an NES platformer boss battle nonsense thing.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #8340 on: December 27, 2013, 03:51:52 PM

I just don't like platformers because I wasn't playing Mario on the NES, I was playing Ultima IV on the C64. So this trend is kind of a blind spot to those slightly younger than me, weaned on the NES/SNES and many platformer style games.

Ah, I see, sorry for missing the point.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #8341 on: December 27, 2013, 04:51:54 PM

This shit right here is what's been getting my goat. It feels like for every Dust: An Elysian Tail, there's a half dozen Rogue Legacies or Risk of Rains.

The only non ball-puncher platformer on the horizon that I can think of off the top of my head is fucking Shovel Knight.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #8342 on: December 28, 2013, 03:52:07 AM

I like 2D platformers well enough but the world doesn't need 100 middling 2D puzzle platformers with a novel art style.

Also "pixel art" isn't a thing to me. Old games used sprites - sprite art is a thing. Making graphics using sprites lends games a specific set of characteristics beyond low resolution. "Pixel art" is just shitty low-res art.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #8343 on: December 28, 2013, 04:24:00 AM

Pixel art. Fuck pixel art. It's nothing but pure nostalgia wank. The only reason pixel art existed back in the day was because of hardware limitations. It wasn't a style, it was a defect.
Black & white photos. Fuck black & white photos. It's nothing but pure nostalgia wank. The only reason black & white photos existed back in the day was because of hardware limitations. It wasn't a style, it was a defect.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #8344 on: December 28, 2013, 06:54:36 AM

Black & white photos. Fuck black & white photos. It's nothing but pure nostalgia wank. The only reason black & white photos existed back in the day was because of hardware limitations. It wasn't a style, it was a defect.

I agree.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #8345 on: December 28, 2013, 07:32:38 AM

Fuck turn based games too. Technology has surpassed that archaic limitations of the past. Games are meant to be played real time, not taking turns.
Why would anyone wait for his turn to swing a sword? Fallout fans please pay attention here, Bethesda is the only company that understands gaming.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #8346 on: December 28, 2013, 07:32:56 AM

Facepalm
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8347 on: December 28, 2013, 07:52:44 AM

Poe's Law all over this thread now.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #8348 on: December 28, 2013, 08:33:42 AM

Purchased Formula One 2013 through Steam, and I'm surprisingly enjoying it, even with a simple 360 controller (still learning the ropes). Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4, although almost 15 years older, is still waaaaaaaaaay better than this (and still a must buy nowadays, with a thriving modding community), but while I wait for Crammond to move his ass over to Kickstarter (one can dream), this is enjoyable enough. Codemasters really needs to allow modding and also put in AI-only races for single-player, though (and also dramatically improve the damage mode)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 08:36:13 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #8349 on: December 28, 2013, 08:35:00 AM

Fuck yes. I lived through it once. I like my pretty graphics.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #8350 on: December 28, 2013, 09:47:52 AM

I picked up ANNO 2070 during the sale, the complete one that came with all of the DLC and expansion.  I normally buy these games to cheat my butt off and make big huge empires and then crush everything like a maniacal god. It's kind of my little single player guilty pleasure.  However, this one is different. It is so good, I actually care about playing it legit and trying to be better at it. I think it is designed really well, the UI is nice. The game makes lots of information available, and the campaign is much better than many I have played.

Drawbacks: It requires an Ubisoft Uplay account. Also I don't know if the steam version is Ubisoft DRM free or not.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8351 on: December 28, 2013, 09:53:49 AM

Playing through Bioshock Infinite for the first time.  Kinda regret not getting this at launch (Luckton's wallet edit: No, he's not); it really is quite well done.  I have no idea how much I have left in the story...it just seems to get deeper without coming up for air.

I picked up ANNO 2070 during the sale, the complete one that came with all of the DLC and expansion.  I normally buy these games to cheat my butt off and make big huge empires and then crush everything like a maniacal god. It's kind of my little single player guilty pleasure.  However, this one is different. It is so good, I actually care about playing it legit and trying to be better at it. I think it is designed really well, the UI is nice. The game makes lots of information available, and the campaign is much better than many I have played.

Drawbacks: It requires an Ubisoft Uplay account. Also I don't know if the steam version is Ubisoft DRM free or not.

It is not, but this hasn't really concerned me.  The campaign, while nice, is stupidly short.  Wish they did more with it.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #8352 on: December 28, 2013, 09:59:23 AM

I got Deus Ex: Human Revolution's Director's Cut version on sale the other day and finally got around to playing it.

Hhhhhng it's so good. The environments I've seen so far aren't quite as open as I'd like, and there's a lot of just visual clutter in general, but overall I'm loving the hell out of it.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #8353 on: December 28, 2013, 01:34:39 PM

Did you play the original DXHR or is this your first exposure to it?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8354 on: December 28, 2013, 04:44:40 PM

I got turned off ten minutes into the new Deus Ex and haven't had an urge to play it since.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #8355 on: December 28, 2013, 07:36:13 PM

Did you play the original DXHR or is this your first exposure to it?

First exposure.

I heard about the shittastic bosses in the original release, but I've also heard that something's changed about them since?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #8356 on: December 28, 2013, 09:43:13 PM

Oh hey, if anyone wants to play GT6 online I'm game. I'll recommend this game heartily, it fixes the worst faults of 5 and is extraordinarily pleasant to play.

What are you using to play GT6? Just a wheel or do you have pedals too?

- Viin
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #8357 on: December 29, 2013, 05:37:48 AM

The pixel art today is less like black and white photography and more like taking color pictures then making them black and white in photoshop.

Maybe not the best analogy, but my point is that the process is different. I think it's cool when artists use an old process or medium, but that's not how modern pixel-art games work. Most modern pixel-art games are styled after 8 and 16 bit console games, but those games didn't use pixel art, they used sprite art, which is not the same thing. Not many people have a lot of nostalgia for shitty 286 pixel art games, which is closer to what these games are replicating.

Most pixel-art games come off as pale imitations of sprite-based games because that's exactly what they are. It would be cool to see indie devs actually make sprite-based games but that requires a lot more work and talent.

As far as what I've been playing - beat Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Very enjoyable, and one of the best examples of capturing the spirit of something old but in a new way. One of the best uses of 3D, but it still ends up feeling very similar to ALTTP.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 05:39:44 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8358 on: December 29, 2013, 06:25:27 AM

What are you using to play GT6? Just a wheel or do you have pedals too?

Just a controller, I don't have room for a proper wheel setup. It works fine as long as you keep ABS on. The triggers just aren't sensitive enough for braking once you get to supercars and racecars.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #8359 on: December 29, 2013, 11:26:45 AM

Just spent three hours with my wife, trying to help our nine year-old fight the jaw-droppingly inept PC interface of Lego Lord of the Rings. Seriously, we spent as much time trying to puzzle out how the UI worked as we spent actually playing.

I have seen lazier console ports, but not in the last decade. What a pile of shit.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8360 on: December 29, 2013, 11:29:22 AM

Seems like a controller is mandatory for that game.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #8361 on: December 29, 2013, 01:30:14 PM

Just spent three hours with my wife, trying to help our nine year-old fight the jaw-droppingly inept PC interface of Lego Lord of the Rings. Seriously, we spent as much time trying to puzzle out how the UI worked as we spent actually playing.

I have seen lazier console ports, but not in the last decade. What a pile of shit.

My brother and I tried to co-op that game a while back... ugh.  We eventually had to plug in a second USB keyboard because the thing refused to let us assign the keyboard and the controller to different players for some reason.

Not many people have a lot of nostalgia for shitty 286 pixel art games, which is closer to what these games are replicating.

I suspect a lot of the nostalgia for pixel art/retro visuals is because of that long period when everything was in 3D.  The Playstation/N64/Dreamcast could do decent 2D graphics but almost never did, and AAA companies kept away from that market for a long time.  So for a long time, that's what the best 2D games looked like.  Then, suddenly, with 3D costs skyrocketing, people realized that 2D was a way to produce games for (relatively) cheap.  Nowadays, a lot of the people I know like retro sprite graphics because that's how "video games" look, period, and the newer 2D styles (Flash stuff especially) are associated with cheap casual games because nobody else touched this stuff for years.  There was (from their point of view) no gradual transition from one style to the next, no evolution, it just jumped from Super Mario World to Farmville.

Devs don't give a shit about palette limitations or memory limitations because those were mostly invisible to the audience (and were often specific to the platform, too), they just want to be associated more with the "good old days" of gaming than the "$0.50 to hurry this action" age modern games, and big, pixelly graphics are an easy way to establish that right up front.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #8362 on: December 29, 2013, 02:02:06 PM

I suspect a lot of the nostalgia for pixel art/retro visuals is because of that long period when everything was in 3D. 

I love good sprite art. However most modern pixel art games are not good sprite art. I mean, compare Mercenary Kings to Metal Slug...most pixel art these games seem like less an imitation of actual sprite-based games of the past and more an imitation of that bad Scott Pilgrim downloadable game from a few years ago.

The Flash game look complaint is interesting - personally I hate that look. It seems almost irrational, but it just looks bad to me. But I think it ties into this point as well - sprite-based games require a certain type of authoring, Flash games require (or at least encourage) a different type of authoring, and pixel art (but not sprite based) games encourage another type of authoring. Out of those three authoring techniques two of them generally don't produce pleasing results.

Nobody makes games that look like Flash games because they like the Flash aesthetic, they make Flash-looking games because the that's what the authoring toolset produces without a lot of finagling.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #8363 on: December 29, 2013, 02:02:23 PM

Since my son got a laptop for Xmas he has insisted we play Baldur's Gate 2 Co-Op, a game so old I was playing it the night before he was born. I had to change some router settings just to get it to work.

Still damn good though.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8364 on: December 29, 2013, 05:10:59 PM

Finished Bioshock Infinite.  Dat ending  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: