Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:20:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2254981 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8155 on: November 13, 2013, 06:19:06 PM

It's a bit strange, I recently fired up the base XCOM and it is now crashing a lot.  Originally it would stay running for hours at a time.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #8156 on: November 13, 2013, 06:59:07 PM

There's an xcom expansion?

Edit:  It doesn't look like that fps type thing they were thinking about months ago?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #8157 on: November 13, 2013, 07:01:54 PM

There's an xcom expansion?

Edit:  It doesn't look like that fps type thing they were thinking about months ago?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/225340/

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #8158 on: November 14, 2013, 01:40:48 AM

I've been playing a lot of Wind Waker HD. They've removed a lot of the stuff that aggravate me to no end on most Zelda titles which makes for a much more streamlined and more fun experience over all but they haven't gone far enough actually.

- Explanatory text/item hint text is only shown once when you first pick up an item and then never again not even after rebooting into the game
- The Baton of the Winds, Grappling hook and cannon are now permanently mapped to the d-pad so you won't have to constantly remap buttons for different items as you had to on the GC
- There's now a swift sail you can buy that makes sailing a lot faster and makes it so that the wind is always coming from behind you so you'll never have to use the baton to change the wind direction ever again while sailing.
- The animations and songs for the melodies is only played once after restarting a game and then skipped
- some fetch quest lines and side quest stuff has been streamlined
- some time limits on certain quests have been extended

Unfortunately you're still treated to too much text and dialogue repetition without a real ability to skip text and without the game offering you a shorter more streamlined way of doing stuff once you've done it a certain number of times. You know what I mean.

I'd also very much like to finally see one Zelda game that would offer you quick shortcuts to locations you've been to hundreds of times already. Unfortunately you'll always have to fight and grapple hook your way to the great deku tree for example which gets annoying quick.

I like the gamepad controller. It's much more comfortable to use than I thought and doesn't feel better or worse than a 360 Controller (apart from it being larger) and having certain game functions on it that you previously would have had to access via in game menus streamlines the game even more.

The battery life is pretty damn bad though. I usually only get 3 to 4 hours out of a single charge which is abysmal. Last weekend when I had enough time to play the whole day I had to plug the controller in several times because it ran out of juice.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8159 on: November 15, 2013, 01:38:52 AM

After days of patching, Batman Origins decided to start again, trying to download all 18Gb.

I am entirely calm and serious when I say that I am considering just giving up gaming.

The disappointment on Elenas face is physically hurting here.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #8160 on: November 15, 2013, 04:46:37 AM

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #8161 on: November 15, 2013, 07:46:56 AM

Before Super Mario 3D world comes out I've decided to play a few Wii games I've missed.

I started with Zelda: Skyward Sword . I'm on kind of a Zelda binge at the moment. I've replayed ALLTP, started a playthrough of OOT in emulation, have just finished WW HD and bought SW on a whim after watching a few hours of a let's play about it.

I actually like it quite a bit. Compared to WW HD the motion controls really stand out as something I mostly like. For weapon and device use I enjoy that I'm being able to simply aim at the screen and that I can use the sword and other devices similar to a real device. Compared to that, aiming with an analog stick was actually much more clumsy. I don't like the motion controls for movement and the shield though and with SW you really notice that the controls - even with a Motion Plus - aren't sufficiently accurate or precise. Sometimes the Wiimote registers a different movement than the one I intended and you have to recalibrate the gyroscope and motion sensors often.

It's the same fate I think the Kinect (1 or 2 doesn't really matter) will face, those motion controls are sometimes so close to the 'real' set of movement that it stands out when things simply only precisely and correectly happen 80% of time. Especially when the alternative and well knwon control scheme doesn't have that issue.

I don't like that the shield can break and they should have removed 'running' from consuming the stamina meter

Those who thought that Navi was a real annoyance will hate the SW assistant Fi though. I wish I could just simply make her shut up completely. A trend I dislike beginning with OOT and getting worse through the ages is the amount of hand holding and tutorializing being done in those games. I wouldn't mind if I could just skip it or turn it off entirely but having to always sit through a lecture of what I can or should do or a recap of the events that HAPPENED THIRTY SECONDS AGO and that I can't skip gets very annoying very quickly.

I like the idea of more adult versions of Link and Zelda and that the story seems to be less infantile. The soundtrack is probably the best I've ever heard in a Zelda game and some of the dungeon designs are simply gorgeous and amazing.

All in all it would be a great game if it weren't for the mandatory explanations and the level of 'nagging' the game deems to be necessary. Also for the love of god NIntendo to what deity do I have to sacrifice a goat that you will someday let me speed up or skip text? Text scrolls at a glacial pace in that game and it seems that the game would feel much more dynamic if cut scenes, exposition and the huge amount of 'let me explain what just happened/what you have to do' text wouldn't take so fucking long.

It's still a pretty good Zelda but since it's the 25th anniversary edition it sometimes feels like a Zelda 'best-of' and some of the ideosyncracies of that game series have actually gotten worse over the years.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8162 on: November 16, 2013, 11:35:29 AM

I'm an idiot so I bought BF4. Anyone playing on EU servers who wants to squad up with me some time?
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #8163 on: November 16, 2013, 12:34:22 PM

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #8164 on: November 16, 2013, 01:12:53 PM

I'm an idiot so I bought BF4. Anyone playing on EU servers who wants to squad up with me some time?

I play BF4 a bit (on EU servers) though I tend to stick to vehicles (and not the aerial ones) since my reflexes are too slow for anything else most of the time  why so serious?

(and I'm satael on origin if you want to send a friend invite)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #8165 on: November 19, 2013, 02:21:35 PM

Finally got around to buying Shin Megami Tensei IV; went to my local shop and they actually had an unopened collectors edition at no extra charge.  Hope the price tag was worth it!  $50 for a 3DS game is a bit much, but gaming times are tough.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8166 on: November 19, 2013, 05:11:04 PM

It is, SMTIV is easily the best game I've played on the 3DS.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8167 on: November 20, 2013, 07:23:52 AM

I dl'd Marvel Heroes and will eventually start that but right now I'm playing The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot.  I love loot. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8168 on: November 20, 2013, 08:22:57 AM

Been fooling around a little bit in TOR with my Assassin.  ACK!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8169 on: November 20, 2013, 08:25:28 AM

I dl'd Marvel Heroes and will eventually start that but right now I'm playing The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot.  I love loot. 

Marvel Heroes was awful.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8170 on: November 20, 2013, 08:27:18 AM

I was ready to love it. Needed more X-Men Legends and less Diablo.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #8171 on: November 20, 2013, 08:31:58 AM

Still playing Zelda Skyward Sword. The game is good and easily 50 hours long and somewhere in there is a great 30 hour long game.

It has a great soundtrack and a few really great dungeons and connects this by making you endlessly travel back and frorth between the same three regions and by reusing those regions to the brink of ridiculousness. They even make you fight two of the bosses multiple times to further stretch the game.

The game is also a great showcase for the limits of the Wii motion controls and how aggravating even great technology can be and how that can overshadow everything else if it only works 80% of the time. To an extend where I wish that more games and other consoles offered a similar way of 'aiming' at and hitting stuff like the way you do it with the Wiimote and also where I wish that Nintendo would just use a standard controller for pretty much everything else.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8172 on: November 20, 2013, 08:49:53 AM

I'm working my way through the bargain bin Assassin's Creed Titles I bought, and I'm on Brotherhood.

Ezio looks fatter in this one for some reason. Hell, everyone looks fatter.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8173 on: November 20, 2013, 09:43:24 AM

I was ready to love it. Needed more X-Men Legends and less Diablo.

Yeah.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8174 on: November 20, 2013, 11:35:18 AM

Been fooling around a little bit in TOR with my Assassin.  ACK!

Did you get your names back?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8175 on: November 20, 2013, 01:36:16 PM

Nope, lost one or two more, actually.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8176 on: November 20, 2013, 06:30:32 PM

I picked up Guided Fate Paradox a while ago, and finally started playing it. It's a roguelike from NIS, complete with their quirky Japanese humor and I'm having a blast with it so far. It's a sequel of sorts to Zettai Hero Project: Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman, but for the PS3 instead of a handheld. I wish there was more gameplay and less story, but once I get further in I'm sure the random/endless dungeons will open up.

I'm also working on Shizune's route in the Android port of Katawa Shoujo, which has gotten me some weird looks at work, but whatever.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #8177 on: November 21, 2013, 01:52:21 PM

I am feeling sort of vaguely tempted in that ask-for-an-Xmas-gift kind of way for the new Assassin's Creed since I really like the setting. But I got really bored with some of Assassin's Creed's minigames by the time I said arrevederci to Ezio (I didn't bother with the American Revolution one). I suspect this one will annoy me too.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #8178 on: November 23, 2013, 11:05:14 AM

Finally beat Fire Emblem for 3DS and started Ace Attorney. I have Zelda but haven't played it yet, I'm going to be traveling soon, saving it for then. Might pick up SMTIV to play on the plane - I don't like playing certain types of games on plane rides as I'm the type of person who finds it very hard to concentrate while flying - like I'll read a book on a plane and the next day barely remember anything about it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8179 on: November 23, 2013, 01:12:35 PM

SMTIV deserves better than distracted plane-ride playing.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #8180 on: November 23, 2013, 05:13:56 PM

Eh, two hours of trying out the XCOM multiplayer and I realized it's not worth it.
Not gonna bother with ex-pack since I didn't even finish the campaign.
At least I unlocked all five cards before uninstalling.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #8181 on: November 23, 2013, 05:32:44 PM

I find that multiplayer in tactics games is almost never satisfying.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #8182 on: November 23, 2013, 05:49:51 PM

I find that multiplayer in tactics games is almost never satisfying.

There are better games for that tactical gameplay IMO.
Even Bloodbowl with smaller maps still delivers better gameplay than XCOM:EU ever will.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #8183 on: November 23, 2013, 06:02:31 PM

SMTIV deserves better than distracted plane-ride playing.

After playing it for the last week, yeah.  It does.  I'm only scraping the surface of the game and I can tell there's quality here. 
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8184 on: November 23, 2013, 06:26:46 PM

Nope, lost one or two more, actually.

I got one back, lost three.

As for what's on my docket:

GTA Online, TSW, Firefall, COD Ghosts.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #8185 on: November 23, 2013, 08:03:19 PM

I'm playing LotR: War in the North cooperatively with a friend and...

You know, the UI is atrocious, the voice-overs are terrible and the console port is palpable, yet I'm enjoying it. It's janky (*) but essentially a well-intended game that sort of works. It's remarkably balanced, the loot is decent enough and it's actually quite flavourful; each character class has quirks (the dwarf can mine gold, the elf can brew potions, the dunedain can track et c.) and monsters have distinct strengths and weaknesses. Some parts feel a little badly paced but overall it doesn't feel too short nor does it overstay its welcome. I'm very terrible at any kind of fighting game (never seem to get a hang of the timing) and our first playthrough took about 10 hours. I would not call it a hard game but it's occasionally challenging.

I'm not going to suggest anyone should go spend $50 on it but if you got it cheap from the WB Humble Bundle, it might be worth taking a look at together with one or two friends.

(*) If you're unfamiliar with my taste in games, let it be known that I have a certain fondness for jank.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #8186 on: November 24, 2013, 12:37:28 AM

Resogun on PS4 and Hearthstone on PC. 
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #8187 on: November 24, 2013, 01:41:28 AM

Xcom multiplayer was ok, but they had a very poor regional server system, and no attention was paid to balancing it (or addressing a few clear anti-social flaws in the system), so it died before it ever got going. Pity.

It's still heaps of fun between friends, though. Just need to play best of 5 and the like.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:43:05 AM by lamaros »
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #8188 on: November 24, 2013, 04:55:15 AM

Tried Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny once more but it's still a buggy piece of crap (the 2013 remake, not the original). It's definitely the worst mistake in buying a game I've made in a long time  swamp poop
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #8189 on: November 24, 2013, 06:44:34 AM

Been playing Pinball FX2 (thanks, Humble Bundle), FFXIV, dipping into Saint's Row 3 co-op once or twice a week, and I just got Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on my 3DS.

Pinball FX2 is amazingly fun, and if you have even a passing interest in pinball, get it during the Humble Weekly deal while it still lasts. It's a ridiculously good value, and I love nearly all of the tables in the pack.

I still enjoy FFXIV, and I'm mostly just leveling jobs and doing crafting while I get my main geared for end-game stuff.

Saint's Row 3 is pretty great, but I only really enjoy it co-op. Hoping to do SR4 the same way some time.

A Link Between Worlds is really really enjoyable. It's chock full of A Link to the Past nostalgia (which makes sense, as it's a sequel), from the music to the sound effects to Link's character design and the overworld layout. My only real problem with it so far is that Link moves so fast that the circle pad is kind of fiddly to control him. I can't count the number of times I've tried to face an enemy to fire an arrow only to have swung around in the opposite direction. Other than that, I'm loving it, and enjoying the item renting mechanic.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: