Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:16:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2231648 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7525 on: July 01, 2013, 09:12:38 PM

Hows Grim Dawn?

Surprisingly good in the ways that matter to me.  Loot seems to have a great progression so far at lv8, and it has that good old Titan Quest WHOMP when you hit enemies.  Skills are middle of the road, trimmed down TQ style.  Also not traditional high fantasy.  I don't know what the end product will look like but it's off to a good start.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7526 on: July 01, 2013, 09:17:59 PM

And to be fair, Cellar Door Games has always called Rogue Legacy a rogue-lite, but still...

Playing Rogue Legacy has just gotten me in the mood for a real Roguelike, so I may go back to DCSS if recent patches haven't swung its wildly shifting difficulty back to the hardcore end of the spectrum.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #7527 on: July 04, 2013, 08:42:01 PM

I am playing Skyrim, which I am having a really, really hard time getting into.  Maybe it's because I played the everloving shit out of Fallout 3 and Fallout NV, but this feels very dry and samey so far.  Hopefully it will pick up.  It also may be due to the fact that I don't really have the time or patience to run through every community talking to every single NPC to try and pick up the quests.

Also playing Dawn of Discovery, which I like so far.  It's rather mindless, in it's own way.  But I like the civ building aspect of it.  Not so sure about the combat.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #7528 on: July 04, 2013, 10:43:39 PM

Been playing Icewind Dale from the recent GOG sale and its holeeshithard  awesome, for real  I don't remember it being tough at all with the slider set for SERIOUSD&DROLLS.  It's really nice to see that painterly design and it's been fun.  Great voice overs. 

And, Cube World!
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #7529 on: July 04, 2013, 11:29:38 PM

Limbo came out for iOS this week and I've been playing it since.

Controls really really suck. I died many many times because the game misinterpreted my input and made my toon jump when I wanted to walk, walk when I wanted to grab things etc.

The puzzles in this game (especially the later ones) require speed and precision the iOS version simply doesn't offer.

I also really really dislike the whole "you can only use in game sound and you will like it" thing games like Liombo have going on. Your game might have the best sound design ever and yet I still sometimes want to listen to my favorite music or podcasts instead or I have the phone on mute anyway because I'm currently on a bus or on a train. This is a deal breaker for me and I usually don't finish iOS games that don't let me play my own tracks.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #7530 on: July 04, 2013, 11:46:44 PM

I have been playing Project X-Zone for 3DS.

It's super fun and also super dumb in the best possible way.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7531 on: July 05, 2013, 12:14:48 AM

FTL is not the reason for thus... fad?

Anyway, im generally a stickler for genre terms but I like roguelike as a sort of catchall for games with prpcedural content - however it manifests itself.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #7532 on: July 05, 2013, 01:17:14 AM

On the roguelikes that aren't standard roguelikes train, I mucked around with Zafehouse Diaries tonight.  Holy crap.   Zombie survival strategy game where you can have a hopped up painkiller junkie try to poison other members of the group.  It basically randomly generates the city and your survivors, including personality traits, and I've yet to survive a full day yet.  I'm giving this a big thumbs up as a chaos simulator.  It's dirt cheap on GoG right now ($2.50), but only for a few more hours, so sadly this probably won't do anyone any good.

edit:  for anyone that might care, the manual is here and should give you a pretty quick idea if this is something you might be interested in.
http://www.zafehouse.com/manual/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:19:44 AM by Ard »
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #7533 on: July 05, 2013, 02:13:57 AM

The main concern that's kept me away from Zafehouse would be the complaints that it's too random, which sends up all kinds of warning flags with me.  I can handle things like randomized levels or starting gear or whatever, but randomizing the outcomes of your actions is the kind of thing that drives me berserk.  I got the impression that you basically send guys out to do stuff, and there's a chance they'll succeed or die but you don't get much control over it beyond that.  Is there a lot of that in the game?  Because it's probably my least favorite aspect of these kinds of games.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7534 on: July 05, 2013, 06:51:07 AM

EQ2, got my Brigand to 95 and started running some instances. My guild is just me, so I've had to pug them but most experiences haven't been painful. It's a shame no one uses their dungeon finder (or maybe it's just broken), because playing with a group in this game is a blast.

Also started playing Minecraft again, Hexxit with BW.

I bought Project X Zone and Muramasa Rebirth, but haven't played either beyond a few minutes.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #7535 on: July 05, 2013, 07:11:19 AM

I like Zafehouse, but goddamn is it brutally hard.  I have literally no idea if I'm just terrible or if I've just been fucked by the randomness so far, but I've gotten nowhere in about 5 games.

You can definitely take precautions and do things intelligently.  If you have good equipment and aren't faced with overwhelming zombie numbers, you shouldn't be in trouble there.  The biggest trouble I've had is the group hating each other so much that they end up throwing shit at each other, injuring themselves, and can't get anything productive done.  Basically, if you get a playthrough with more than 1 useless person or with a group that basically hates each other, you might as well start over immediately.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7536 on: July 05, 2013, 09:04:08 AM

What's the deal with Hexxit, anyway? I've looked over the site for it, but aside from the very fantasy-based artwork, I can't really tell what the mod pack's mechanical focus or theme is all about. Their mod list doesn't seem to list which mods are the major focus mods for the thing.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:07:01 AM by koro »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7537 on: July 05, 2013, 09:24:38 AM

I think it's just a catchall of good fantasy adventure stuff, and adjunct that fit that.

I also need to break from Cube World and Hexxit up some more (also on BW's server). And join you guys when you group up for stuff!
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #7538 on: July 05, 2013, 09:34:07 AM

The main concern that's kept me away from Zafehouse would be the complaints that it's too random, which sends up all kinds of warning flags with me.

It honestly is extremely random.  It's very much in the roguelike family in that respect.  This is definitely more in the dwarf fortress camp of "which new, interesting way am I going to lose" moreso than "how do I win".  I did have a slightly longer run last night  after a few attempts, so things do get better with practice and learning basic survival tactics.  That said, yes, it's extremely easy to wipe, hard and early, so if restarting a game repeatedly like in most roguelikes isn't your cup of tea, then you should probably avoid this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7539 on: July 05, 2013, 09:36:47 AM

Pure chaos in a game is easy. Controlled, entertaining randomness is not. We want more of the latter, not the former.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7540 on: July 05, 2013, 10:31:16 AM

What's the deal with Hexxit, anyway? I've looked over the site for it, but aside from the very fantasy-based artwork, I can't really tell what the mod pack's mechanical focus or theme is all about. Their mod list doesn't seem to list which mods are the major focus mods for the thing.
As Sky said it's an adventure oriented list. Twilight Forest and Better Dungeons are two of the biggest, plus something that adds a bunch of new equipment and makes said gear drop from mobs.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #7541 on: July 08, 2013, 08:48:08 AM

Finished Crysis 3. It had two great, open levels with multiple objectives and the rest was generic schlock. Ending was a wet fart. The scriptwriters decided it was a good idea to contradict several hours worth of foreshadowing.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #7542 on: July 08, 2013, 11:23:26 AM

Got a new 3DS XL recently and playing Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem Awakening on it. Any other worthy games to add to the purchase list?

On the PC/Mac -- Dominions 3 MP game wrapping up (with gaming folk from Lum's game forum space), several Civ V games going and looking forward to Brave New World preorder downloading tonight.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #7543 on: July 08, 2013, 11:36:41 AM

Got a new 3DS XL recently and playing Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem Awakening on it. Any other worthy games to add to the purchase list?

On the PC/Mac -- Dominions 3 MP game wrapping up (with gaming folk from Lum's game forum space), several Civ V games going and looking forward to Brave New World preorder downloading tonight.

Professor Layton and the Ghost Recon game are good stuff - the latter came as a bit of a surprise to me, but it's a solid TBS title.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7544 on: July 08, 2013, 12:09:41 PM

Been playing the crap out of Anno 2070 since the Amazon sale.  Gotta churn that Future Cider, baby!   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Aside from the timeline change, the overall upgrade in graphics, UI, and gameplay have me hooked harder than 1404 did.  The ability to craft ship, island, and even sector-wide upgrades is sweet, and having access to subs and air power is a big boost.  Finished the main campaign, doing the stand-alone missions right now.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #7545 on: July 10, 2013, 08:20:36 AM

Why did it take me so long to discover the glory that is Mount & Blade? Picked up M&B Warband a while back cheap and spent all last night hacking my way to glory , completely ignoring the G&K expansion to Civ 5 I'd just bought.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7546 on: July 10, 2013, 08:24:30 AM

Why did it take me so long to discover the glory that is Mount & Blade? Picked up M&B Warband a while back cheap and spent all last night hacking my way to glory , completely ignoring the G&K expansion to Civ 5 I'd just bought.

Wait until you discover the mods. I think I've easily spent over 400 hours playing that game.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7547 on: July 10, 2013, 08:32:55 AM

Back to Minecraft, Hexxit modpack. It's awesome.

Tinker's Construct, Falling Meteors, Backpacks, Dimensional Doors, Twilight Forest, Asgard Shields, Harken Scythe, .... there is just so much to this thing.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7548 on: July 10, 2013, 08:34:37 AM

Borderlands 2
Last of Us (slowly)
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Terraria (small amount)
Grim Dawn (Alpha)
Path of Exile
Din's Curse ... my save files are gone so I'm starting a necromancer.  This is another game that I wonder why I stopped playing.

I looked at my museum cards in GT5 today and I wonder if anyone wants to do some trades?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #7549 on: July 11, 2013, 02:15:52 AM

Project X-Zone has two levels based on the old Sega arcade game Gain Ground. That made me so happy to see. The layout of the levels was very similar to actual levels in the game and even the rules were changed a bit to mimic how Gain Ground played.

Gain Ground is in my opinion one of the most underrated games of all time. Very few people seem to even know what it is, let alone like it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #7550 on: July 11, 2013, 03:38:10 AM

Once more playing Wizardy 8 (having some difficulties adjusting to not having a map like all the "modern" games tend to have) to freshen up my skills for Might & Magic 10 in a few months (though it might get delayed and it might be a total disappointment but atleast iit's a real m&m and not some heroes game)

edit:as a nice bonus the GOG version refused to work despite alot of trying so I had to resort to a Fairlight version of the game which I haven't done in a long time (but didn't feel too bad since I have paid GOG for the game)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 03:40:27 AM by satael »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #7551 on: July 11, 2013, 05:03:29 AM

Like someone else upthread, finishing Last of Us inspired me to play Uncharted 3.  I got it for free anyway via Playstation Plus (which continues to be an amazing bargain).  Whatever.  I really loved number 2, so I am hoping this is more of the same.  If nothing else, these are some of the prettier looking games in terms of graphics.  Great use of colors, and it makes me wonder why more developers don't do this.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7552 on: July 11, 2013, 07:42:57 AM

Uncharted 3 is pretty decent.  Gunplay is pretty much the same.  There's less puzzles, more combat, and the plot is worse than 2.   I thought it was a bit easy.   

Still a good game and well worth playing.  2 was a pretty high bar to set.

-Rasix
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #7553 on: July 11, 2013, 07:56:18 AM

Been playing Borderlands 2 with some buddies last few days. Turns out, I am not a very good shot.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #7554 on: July 11, 2013, 08:56:13 AM

-Started to play Towns, it's okay. I think I would prefer the dungeon crawling aspect to be tougher than the city building, but that is not currently the case for me.

-TF2, some interesting changes last patch with a weapon balance and messing around on a war3mod server. Fun until the p2win race/combos are overused in a game

-Wargame:ALB - I'm still newbish as I still need to read weapon descriptions and learn the units to know which unit counters another one, but it has been fun playing some games with Calapine and one of her buddies when they're on. I definitely like this more than SC2 for fun, but SC2 is just balanced much better from wht I can tell.

Now I'm going to go play the game of hiding in the corner as I futiley attempt to protect my wallet from Steam's Summer Sale having its way with my it later today. My wallet says no but my impulsiveness says yes :(
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7555 on: July 11, 2013, 09:39:30 AM

-Started to play Towns, it's okay. I think I would prefer the dungeon crawling aspect to be tougher than the city building, but that is not currently the case for me.

That sounds similar to Recettear.  Is it fun? I like the concept.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7556 on: July 11, 2013, 10:54:54 AM

atleast iit's a real m&m and not some heroes game

That's not a plus!  tongue

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #7557 on: July 11, 2013, 12:00:29 PM

That sounds similar to Recettear.  Is it fun? I like the concept.

It's a Dwarf Fortress knockoff is my understanding. I never played DF so I can't comment on that, but I am enjoying Towns. The comparisons I've read have basically said that it's DF with a more user friendly UI

I'd say if you find it on sale on Steam, pick it up. I've definitely had more than my $7.50 worth

edit - oh, while I haven't tried it (and I don't know if DF has this) there is a "bury" system. This is a post I found explaining it and making me think it is pretty awesome:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:05:28 PM by Segoris »
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #7558 on: July 11, 2013, 12:00:43 PM

atleast iit's a real m&m and not some heroes game

That's not a plus!  tongue

I still have a manual for Might&Magic 2 (though the floppies are long gone).   why so serious?
Get off my lawn you god-damn heroes hippies!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7559 on: July 11, 2013, 12:06:25 PM

It's a Dwarf Fortress knockoff is my understanding. I never played DF so I can't comment on that, but I am enjoying Towns. The comparisons I've read have basically said that it's DF with a more user friendly UI

There's about a 100% chance this statement is wrong without even looking at Towns.  If such a thing existed, we would know by now.

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: