Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:46:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2255155 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7280 on: May 09, 2013, 11:10:27 AM

L.A. Noire WAS an adventure game, just with a very shitty 3rd person action veneer on top of it, as well as a super shitty nonsensical yet totally linearly forced on the player story.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7281 on: May 09, 2013, 12:35:31 PM

I'm back on a Binding of Isaac kick lately.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7282 on: May 09, 2013, 11:52:09 PM

Just finished Spec Ops: The Line.  REALLY good game-as-narrative.  I'd easily put it up there with the Half-Life series in that respect, even if the gameplay and technical aspects don't have the same level of polish.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #7283 on: May 10, 2013, 12:35:54 AM

Just finished Spec Ops: The Line.  REALLY good game-as-narrative.  I'd easily put it up there with the Half-Life series in that respect, even if the gameplay and technical aspects don't have the same level of polish.

It does? I mean, YEAH GriMDARK SHOOTIN!
MORALITY OF WAR.
Maybe I'll pick up it up and finish my radicalthon, cause the game bored me out of my mind.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7284 on: May 10, 2013, 01:07:27 AM

The actual gameplay is just chest-high-wall-based-shooter, but I love the soundtrack and the trippy dream sequences and the moral choice segments where you've usually got more than two options (even if it doesn't change the outcome of the story, the game world reacts to stuff you do in a fairly sensible way and that's cool).
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #7285 on: May 10, 2013, 07:14:54 AM

Just finished Spec Ops: The Line.  REALLY good game-as-narrative.  I'd easily put it up there with the Half-Life series in that respect, even if the gameplay and technical aspects don't have the same level of polish.

MORALITY OF WAR.
Maybe I'll pick up it up and finish my radicalthon, cause the game bored me out of my mind.

You totally missed the point of the game. It's a satire of the military manshooter genre, removing ludonarrative dissonance by tailoring the story to fit standard milshooter gameplay.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #7286 on: May 10, 2013, 08:12:38 PM

Skryim
LotRO

and most unbelievably since I'm back and enjoying it

Eve
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7287 on: May 11, 2013, 01:20:10 AM

ludonarrative dissonance

That's a really excellent term.
noL
Terracotta Army

Reply #7288 on: May 11, 2013, 02:56:32 AM

Fallout: New Vegas + All DLC + J.E. Sawyer Mod (PC) - After restarting three times, enduring numerous crashes and logging 227 hours of total play time, I have finally completed this game. I skipped Fallout 3 + its DLC content, due to my best friend's advice and the general consensus on this forum, and I'm glad I did. From what I briefly saw from and read about Fallout 3, it just didn't have that Fallout 'charm' nor 'humor' found in Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. I don't know if it's a consequence of growing up on the West Coast in the States (California, Utah and Arizona), but I just about adore everything about the setting in this game and in general, desert life itself. Playing through Honest Hearts made me miss just how spectacular Southern Utah is for nature and how much I miss seeing the stars at night. Overall, Obsidian did a great job with this one and I really enjoyed playing this game, bugs and all. Recommended.

Bastion (PC) - Another game I rather enjoyed. I liked the art direction, the music and especially the narration style. I found my interest starting to wane after the fifteen hour mark, until I stubbornly decided to just try and finish the damn game. Needless to say, I'm glad I did. Recommended.

Jade Empire (PC) - Not Bioware's best, but I'm still glad I got to play this one. Biggest complaint would have to be the controls and the camera angle. Holy mother of consolitis! Aside from that, I think my biggest piece of praise would have to be its lush soundtrack. It's quite lovely. As for a recommendation, it's a solid rpg that's probably best played on an Xbox.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #7289 on: May 11, 2013, 03:00:14 AM

ludonarrative dissonance

Makes me feel all smartypantsed.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #7290 on: May 11, 2013, 06:23:28 AM

Neverwinter-rough around the edges, but very solid quest, hack and slash, dungeon crawl, grab loot game. Interested in seeing where they take this game.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7291 on: May 11, 2013, 06:37:42 AM

Jade Empire (PC) - Not Bioware's best, but I'm still glad I got to play this one. Biggest complaint would have to be the controls and the camera angle. Holy mother of consolitis! Aside from that, I think my biggest piece of praise would have to be its lush soundtrack. It's quite lovely. As for a recommendation, it's a solid rpg that's probably best played on an Xbox.

I've been playing this recently too, after finally getting it to work on my PC with no framerate issues. I dunno what it is, but this game kicks my ass so much.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #7292 on: May 11, 2013, 07:06:36 AM

Just finished Spec Ops: The Line.  REALLY good game-as-narrative.  I'd easily put it up there with the Half-Life series in that respect, even if the gameplay and technical aspects don't have the same level of polish.

MORALITY OF WAR.

You totally missed the point of the game. It's a satire of the military manshooter genre, removing ludonarrative dissonance by tailoring the story to fit standard milshooter gameplay.

I enjoyed the story, it was different.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7293 on: May 11, 2013, 10:40:24 AM

Skryim
LotRO

and most unbelievably since I'm back and enjoying it

Eve

My sister is playing LotRO, too.  It's her first grown up mmorpg.  You should be her friend.  I don't know her name.

Anyway, I thought since I'm so fucking sick that I would play some single player game that doesn't entail too much skill or thinking and it wouldn't matter if I had to fall over.  I played Gothic and it was fun but a little annoying.  I decided to try Arcadia but then I remembered how frustrating it was to be some smelly guy.  What is with that company?  They own all the THQ stuff now, too.  They only like games with guys in them?  So I guess I'll play NWN and die a lot.  The xBox is too far away.

NWN, TSW, Tera.  Mostly.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7294 on: May 11, 2013, 10:47:58 AM

MORALITY OF WAR.

I enjoyed the story, it was different.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #7295 on: May 11, 2013, 08:32:23 PM

Dear Esther is a bad example, but something like Miasmata is much closer to what he's talking about, I think. There's a new myst-esque game on kickstarter right now that I have my eye on, too.
DeathInABottle
Terracotta Army

Reply #7296 on: May 12, 2013, 01:47:58 PM

ludonarrative dissonance

Errant Signal uses it a lot.  It's a tremendously useful term for critiquing games.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #7297 on: May 12, 2013, 08:47:42 PM

Eve

Ohh really? I was thinking of installing again ..

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7298 on: May 13, 2013, 05:25:08 AM

Who's playing Monaco on 360?  Anyone?

Also Battleblock Theater is hilarious.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #7299 on: May 13, 2013, 01:43:46 PM

Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate on Wii U.

Just started Pokemon White 2 this weekend so I could get Deoxys from the Mystery Gift. Also got my Piplup since I bought it at Walmart. The Dream stuff through the website is pretty neat too. It adds another layer to the game.
Nayr
Terracotta Army

Reply #7300 on: May 13, 2013, 02:20:26 PM

Beat Tomb Raider yesterday, bought some DLC today.

Playing Tales of Graces f right now tho. Close to the final battle against Lambda.

I support the right to arm bears.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #7301 on: May 13, 2013, 06:51:59 PM

Icewind Dale. My first time through believe it or not.  It's not bad but it's no Baldur's Gate.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #7302 on: May 14, 2013, 12:07:00 PM

Whilst its no Baldurs Gate in terms of characters, I actually preferred Icewind Dale to the original Baldurs Gate in terms of story and setting.

Firstly the environment was a lot more interesting than the Sword coast - all the areas explored in Icewind dale were fantastically more interesting than "Generic Medieval Fantasy RPG world" from Baldurs Gate.

Secondly regarding the storyline, I never thought BG1 had that great a story either (again was very Generic Fantasy Oprhan storyline) whereas Icewind Dale was trying something a bit different and had the historical aspect to it.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7303 on: May 14, 2013, 06:42:22 PM

IWD had a story?  Ohhhhh, I see.  While not as bad of an offender as it's sequel (at least it doesn't just end out of nowhere), there was barely anything there.  Just roll your party and FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.

Hell, I can't even remember the basics of it and I beat the game more than once.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:46:06 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7304 on: May 14, 2013, 07:45:04 PM

Hell, I can't even remember the basics of it and I beat the game more than once.

Strange happenings in another town, ambushed, mysterious evil forces, find the macguffin, kill a demon, surprise shapeshifter, dead druid, to the dwarven town, villain was amassing an army, bullshit explanations, kill the big bad, fin.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #7305 on: May 14, 2013, 08:14:36 PM

I really want to find a new game to play, but my most recent pick-ups weren't that engaging.
I'm still involved in a lot of bad games that I just play to pass time.

Bad games:
- Shira Oka: This is a horrible game nobody should play. This is what happens when a bunch of weaboos from the west decides they know how to create visual novels.
- Scarlet Blade: A very unashamedly 'sex-sells' MMORPG, I'm still shocked when people ask if girls play this game in general chat. This is basically a Lineage 2 re-skin with quests added in and a 5-star translation lacing everything with sexual innuendo. I dig the last feature. But the whole '$19 to get naked' deal is just a head-scratcher, especially in open-beta stage.

Decent games:
- Crusader Kings II: Highly entertaining time killer, looks daunting at first, but once you figure things out - time just flies by. I honestly did not start well with this game. I left it in my steam library unplayed after a 15 minute headscratching session last year. This year: 200+ hours on, I'm still playing it. Weekend noons following historical documentaries while munching on fast food enhances its appeal IMO.
- Blood Bowl Legendary Edition: I can't recommend this game to everyone. But there's a good game beneath all the terrible UI and unforgiving system. There's a sequel in the works, but I'll wait and see. I think this is a game that's best taken in slow doses, for the matches go real slow unless you rush things and fuck up. I'm currently just waiting for next match day in F13 league to arrive, but I'm not really in the mood for a game every other night like I did during pre-seasons.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7306 on: May 15, 2013, 08:05:26 AM

But the whole '$19 to get naked' deal is just a head-scratcher, especially in open-beta stage.
Is it really?

I'm playing Risen 2.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7307 on: May 15, 2013, 08:09:52 AM

I'm playing D3 again now that they added the monster density patch.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #7308 on: May 15, 2013, 08:11:31 AM

Grabbed the new Borderlands two character last night - Krieg the Psycho. Seems like an interesting twist, very over the top.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Reborne
Terracotta Army

something something plays a shitload of Blood Bowl something something

Reply #7309 on: May 15, 2013, 07:08:07 PM

Slowly working my way through Darksiders 2.
Amusing hack and slash with just enough story to keep me interested.

Frequent diversions included:
Crusader Kings 2 + Elder Kings mod (Slowly taking over Daggerfall because the King is a jerk)
Borderlands 2 (Yay for mindless violence to get customizations)
LotRO (I'm only a few expansions behind...)
Resident Evil 6 (Because co-op zombies)

"We apologise for the inconvenience" - God's Final Message to His Creation.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7310 on: May 16, 2013, 06:40:13 AM

Grabbed the new Borderlands two character last night - Krieg the Psycho. Seems like an interesting twist, very over the top.

Oh, that's here now.  Working too much to play but I should DL this now.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7311 on: May 16, 2013, 07:48:59 AM

Is he free for Season Pass owners?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #7312 on: May 16, 2013, 08:05:37 AM

I don't believe so.

As for gaming: Trying to keep myself from playing more Dark Arisen and actually get into Wargame: Terrible Name Battle. Dark Arisen is addictive as hell though.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #7313 on: May 16, 2013, 08:15:38 AM

Tiny rant, but this seriously torqued me off.  I bought the game for $60, then spent $40 (ok, only $27 at gmg) on the pass.  For a $100 game, one would expect to get all the DLC.  However, there's another $20 worth of DLC I'd have to buy to make my game complete. 

It just smacks as greedy.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7314 on: May 16, 2013, 08:31:14 AM

Bleh. Guess I'll wait until the last map pack comes out then buy him.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: