Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:08:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2231534 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7140 on: April 17, 2013, 05:21:04 AM

Running a fighter/magic user. Focusing more on abjuration for the tankiness. My main problem is how damn limited you are on the number of spells and that to get anything back you have to rest for eight hours. I'm totally a sucker for the 'too good to use' mental state and there's just so much of it between the spells, wands, potions and scrolls. +1 arrows dropping all over the place though. I'll get you out of jail Imoen, it'll just take a few years.

This is what I meant.  You're coming at it with a modern games/ MMO mentality. Just using the word "tankiness" and focusing on a spell line is the problem.  There are no tanks, it's 2nd ED D&D.  There's melee and "OMGRUNAWAY" casters who should never melee.   (One of the reasons I always despised fighter/mage combos is you were so limited on Armors or you gimped your casting.  Unless you were an elf and had that special elf combat mage armor.)

Abjuration spells are worthless for low-level slots as a mage in BG.  Pick-up Evocation or Necromancy, or even a few conjuring.  The cleric counterparts are almost always better in low-level Abjuration. (And coincidentlly go a long way to why Paladins kick ass. Cleric/ Fighters!)   

The GameFAQS page will be useful here as the game's so old.   JBolton's guide was decent for it's evaluation and summary of good spells for each spell tier: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/919881-baldurs-gate-ii-the-collection/faqs/11334

Valygar isn't really all that impressive as an archer, actually - he's the stalker build so he's best used as a backstabbing melee character. The best archer NPC is Mazzy (the halfling fighter,) even though she can only use short bows.
I was actually think BG1. :)

Yeah BG1 was go archer or go home.  I think that's why they gimped them so hard in BG2.  My ranger character went from god to nigh-usless until I picked-up some melee skills/ perks.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7141 on: April 17, 2013, 06:13:07 AM

I remember my archer in BG1 kiting the gnolls/kobolds/whatever and Drizzt when he got pissy about me not helping.

"Dude, I'm level 2.  You're level a bazillion with bad-ass equipment.  AND you're going to attack me while ignoring the guys you were fighting because I want to sit out?  Some great hero you are.  Too bad I have boots of speed, mutha fucka!"

Shame I couldn't use his swords.  The armor was nice though.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #7142 on: April 17, 2013, 06:50:20 AM

I remember my archer in BG1 kiting the gnolls/kobolds/whatever and Drizzt when he got pissy about me not helping.

"Dude, I'm level 2.  You're level a bazillion with bad-ass equipment.  AND you're going to attack me while ignoring the guys you were fighting because I want to sit out?  Some great hero you are.  Too bad I have boots of speed, mutha fucka!"

Shame I couldn't use his swords.  The armor was nice though.
I laughed when I saw there was a "How to kill Drizzt and take his stuff" guide. And then again when apparently it was popular enough to have an actual "Do you have Drizzt's stuff" check in BG2's when importing a character.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #7143 on: April 17, 2013, 08:41:06 AM

-MWO, love me some giant robots.
-Warframe, which is fantastic and I keep being amazed we don't have a thread but not being ready to start one.

-Tera, barely creeping along waiting for others to get back in their grooves so we can finish this game. Content-wise.
-STO, sort of, I log in to assign DOFF's and its not a bad game but I'm not ready to find a pvp outfit and beg my way in and learn to min/max it yet and nothing else seems that fun to do with it in the long run.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7144 on: April 17, 2013, 08:49:58 AM

-MWO, love me some giant robots.
-Warframe, which is fantastic and I keep being amazed we don't have a thread but not being ready to start one.

-Tera, barely creeping along waiting for others to get back in their grooves so we can finish this game. Content-wise.
-STO, sort of, I log in to assign DOFF's and its not a bad game but I'm not ready to find a pvp outfit and beg my way in and learn to min/max it yet and nothing else seems that fun to do with it in the long run.

Also playing Warframe!

It's good clean fun.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #7145 on: April 17, 2013, 08:53:18 AM

If you are playing WarFrame, add me in-game: Hoax415 its quite fun to run missions with people you know.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #7146 on: April 17, 2013, 09:12:58 AM

f13.net: The place I go to find things that suck money out of my wallet, otherwise known as computer games. Gonna have to DL warframe tonight.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7147 on: April 17, 2013, 09:41:59 AM

Khalid is such a shitty fighter though, especially compared to my guy who I munchkinized the shit out of.

Khalid really is a useless fucking dolt isn't he? I thought it might just be me, but now I see him sucking monkey ass and constantly needing heals is by design.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #7148 on: April 17, 2013, 09:51:03 AM

I must admit I usually munchkin out BGII and create 4 of my own characters then just keep Minsc and Jaheira for the laughs and the sex.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #7149 on: April 17, 2013, 10:11:01 AM

Khalid really is a useless fucking dolt isn't he? I thought it might just be me, but now I see him sucking monkey ass and constantly needing heals is by design.
I honestly think he was meant to be a ranger while Minsc was meant to be a fighter considering their stat rolls/personalities/etc and someone at Black Isle was drunk and switched them.

That's my theory at least, because Khalid is bad at fighting and has the special bonus of having a pretty high chance of panicking when he gets low on health.

I'd let him die and kick him out of the party for someone not shitty but doesn't Jaheira eventually bail if you kick Khalid out, regardless if he is dead or not?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7150 on: April 17, 2013, 10:28:59 AM

f13.net: The place I go to find things that suck money out of my wallet, otherwise known as computer games. Gonna have to DL warframe tonight.

Its free!

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7151 on: April 17, 2013, 11:45:14 AM

I honestly think he was meant to be a ranger while Minsc was meant to be a fighter considering their stat rolls/personalities/etc and someone at Black Isle was drunk and switched them.

That's my theory at least, because Khalid is bad at fighting and has the special bonus of having a pretty high chance of panicking when he gets low on health.

I'd let him die and kick him out of the party for someone not shitty but doesn't Jaheira eventually bail if you kick Khalid out, regardless if he is dead or not?

Jaheira will leave immediately if you boot Khalid, yes. The other paired NPCs all act like this as well IIRC. With regard to Minsc and him being a ranger, rangers in 2E and prior had no special reason to be anything but a melee fighter. It's only in 3rd edition where they differentiated them by giving them the 2 weapon and archery style choices. So, him being a ranger isn't especially weird.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #7152 on: April 17, 2013, 12:10:15 PM

Jaheira will leave immediately if you boot Khalid, yes. The other paired NPCs all act like this as well IIRC. With regard to Minsc and him being a ranger, rangers in 2E and prior had no special reason to be anything but a melee fighter. It's only in 3rd edition where they differentiated them by giving them the 2 weapon and archery style choices. So, him being a ranger isn't especially weird.

Minsc was a ranger since he had an animal companion.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #7153 on: April 17, 2013, 12:22:25 PM

Still probably the greatest NPC character in a computer game I have ever seen.

Also the guy who does the voice of Minsc is PROLIFIC.

Actually prolific doesn't really do it justice. Jim Cumming's IMDB page

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7154 on: April 17, 2013, 03:20:18 PM

I must admit I usually munchkin out BGII and create 4 of my own characters then just keep Minsc and Jaheira for the laughs and the sex.

My reason for never doing this is that NPC dialogs are lost when you do.   There were some pretty extensive interactions/ commentary for a game of its time.  Or hell.. for a game of THIS time considering how gimped the ME2 interactions were.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #7155 on: April 17, 2013, 04:18:57 PM

Still probably the greatest NPC character in a computer game I have ever seen.

Also the guy who does the voice of Minsc is PROLIFIC.

Actually prolific doesn't really do it justice. Jim Cumming's IMDB page

Minsc is Winnie the Pooh!
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #7156 on: April 17, 2013, 04:27:51 PM

Started Defiance, which is silly and fun at the same time.  Not a lot of depth as far as I can see, but it lets me shoot things for an hour or so a night.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #7157 on: April 17, 2013, 05:36:00 PM

Wasn't there a BG2 wildmage kit? I've yet to see a good wildmage setup for 3.5.

And by "Good" I mean "Freaking hilarious".
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #7158 on: April 17, 2013, 11:40:18 PM

From memory I kept Jaheira doesn't leave if Khalid is dead and you kick him out. I know it definitely works for Minsc/Dynaheir since Edwin is much much more awesome.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #7159 on: April 17, 2013, 11:54:14 PM

Save game, take off Khalid's stuff and tell his wife to start roughing him up. That's what I did.
But meh, they both suck, gameplay wise.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #7160 on: April 18, 2013, 07:23:53 AM

I bought the new Bioshock.  So of course I'm playing through the old Bioshock.  That makes sense.  Bioshock is a game that I really have a lot of fond memories of.  The story is intriguing and compelling, even if the gameplay is nothing to write home about.  Maybe I'll eventually get to the new one. Ohhhhh, I see.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7161 on: April 18, 2013, 07:58:08 AM

I've been playing some Project Zomboid again lately.  A lot of fun actually. Still very alpha after all this time, but I can't think of a better zombie survival game I've played.  It is REALLY easy to die horribly in this game.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #7162 on: April 18, 2013, 09:12:55 AM

Sad stories from the Shannow house of gaming:

- My real life soccer injury (strained thumb tendons) is hurting my virtual soccer career. Irony? Really, really fucking pathetic? You be the judge.

- You know that episode of Big Bang Theory where Penny starts playing Age of Conan and it takes over her life? I'm fairly sure my wife is heading down that path, except its.....Wizarding 101... swamp poop

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7163 on: April 18, 2013, 10:51:44 AM

Heh, Wizard 101 isn't a bad game. Hard to see how one can get obsessively sucked into it though. But I'm also jealous. The closest my wife comes to gaming is handing me my hat in Collapse Blast.

On ME3 Citadel, though I may jump over to the Dishonored DLC tonight. After that will be Bioshock 1 and then whatever I can get away with doing over the warmer weather when all these chuckleheads expect me to want to be outside and shit.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #7164 on: April 19, 2013, 03:36:39 AM

I really need to stop clearing out old discs.

Yesterday I took a quick break from Civ5 to see if Warlords 1 is working under Dosbox, 4 hours later I realize that it still does and my Nostalgia is strong in this one.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #7165 on: April 19, 2013, 08:03:45 AM

Warlords 1 was awesome.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7166 on: April 19, 2013, 11:49:41 AM

I always wondered why Jessarton had such shitty infantry compared to everywhere else...

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #7167 on: April 21, 2013, 07:49:03 AM

Because everybody there who knew anything about fighting moved to Carmel.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:52:22 AM by Tebonas »
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #7168 on: April 21, 2013, 07:15:36 PM

CoH2 Beta, MWO, Blood Bowl and TSW.

CoH2 Beta seems more of the same of CoH plus skins/unlocks -> microtransactions
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #7169 on: April 21, 2013, 07:43:15 PM

Dammit, for a second I was "They're making a new City of Heroes? YES!" and then despair.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7170 on: April 21, 2013, 08:08:15 PM

I thought the same thing; what's the other CoH?

Picked up Lego City Undercover for the 3DS; it's a Lego version of GTA and pretty fun so far.

Also started up POE again; rolled another Witch, speccing for Ethereal Knives this time. Using Fork to support EK is awesome. Not sure I'll ever make it past the second difficulty but the game is still a blast.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #7171 on: April 21, 2013, 09:07:47 PM

I thought the same thing; what's the other CoH?

Company of Heroes, Relic's WWII RTS.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7172 on: April 22, 2013, 06:48:12 AM

That's much less exciting.  I'm sad again.  RIP Jersey Girl.

Playing GW2, Warframe, and two NDA.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7173 on: April 22, 2013, 01:19:27 PM

Had a big binge of Path of Exile.  Besides that there is LEGO CITY Undercover (WU), which is funny, plays well, and looks great.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7174 on: April 22, 2013, 02:09:34 PM

Dammit, for a second I was "They're making a new City of Heroes? YES!" and then despair.

Same here.  Heartbreak

I'm mostly dicking around in SWTOR. I dutifully patch GW2 once in a while, but I never actually log in. People in China really, really want to use my account, though.

God Save the Horn Players
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: