Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 09:36:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2254632 times)
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #7105 on: April 12, 2013, 06:25:58 PM

How's the original Deus Ex aged? I'm finishing up Human Revolution and never tried the original. Worth snagging for 10 bucks on Steam, or will the graphics make me want to stab myself?

It's still one of the best games of all time.

Assuming you can get it to run right, that is.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #7106 on: April 12, 2013, 08:14:45 PM

How's the original Deus Ex aged? I'm finishing up Human Revolution and never tried the original. Worth snagging for 10 bucks on Steam, or will the graphics make me want to stab myself?
Played the original last year, for the first time, in preparation for HR.  Enjoyed it quite a bit.  Memory is a tad fuzzy but I think it was just patch, texture pack, then go.

Currently playing the new DmC which is good, but compares poorly to Bayonetta.  Also finished Infinite and don't get all the buzz around that game.  Lukewarm shooter with a story whose reach exceeds its grasp.  Still decent though.

Picked up a 3DS for Fire Emblem earlier in the year so I may go down an SMT hole on that platform.  La Mulana is due on Steam next week which also looks neat.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7107 on: April 12, 2013, 11:26:15 PM

The graphics in the original haven't aged quite as poorly as the gameplay has. Shooting never really gets to a comfortable-feeling place.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7108 on: April 12, 2013, 11:38:05 PM

Play it more as a stealther, and you won't be as disappointed.  Yah, the mechanics haven't aged well, but they weren't that great to begin with. 

I've gotten to the point now where someone mentioning Deus Ex means I don't automatically have to install it and play it again.  That sure took a while.

Resubbed to SWTOR.  Hooray for the camera still being at a setting I can handle.

-Rasix
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7109 on: April 13, 2013, 10:01:30 AM

I finally started Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition.  HARD!  I needed a break from Secret World and a mouse and keyboard.  Dark Souls is okay with the xbox controller.  I probably should have just waited for 2 on the xbox.  Dammit.  Still, everything is good except for it being on the PC!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #7110 on: April 13, 2013, 11:35:26 AM

Didn't the producer for Dark Souls come out and say the PC port was half assed to begin with?

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #7111 on: April 13, 2013, 12:11:41 PM

It wasn't half-assed, it was just that the programmers had no experience doing a PC port and had to learn on the job. Some of the tricks and techniques they used on the console didn't port or scale well to multiple resolutions, they couldn't get it to work 100% and ran out of time, which is why it's recommended to run it with the community fix.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #7112 on: April 13, 2013, 04:39:26 PM

Picked up Dishonored on Steam earlier. It's half priced this weekend. The start reminds me of the beginning of an Elder Scrolls game. Seems nifty for the hour I've given it thus far.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #7113 on: April 13, 2013, 08:52:30 PM

Played the original last year, for the first time, in preparation for HR.  Enjoyed it quite a bit.  Memory is a tad fuzzy but I think it was just patch, texture pack, then go.
There's an updated texture pack? That'll help a bit.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #7114 on: April 14, 2013, 10:52:17 PM

Finally started putting some time into Planescape Torment (had previously played from the opening until I was out in the city but that was about it).  Wow.  It is RPGtacular.  Nice setting.  Great writing.  Lots of fun.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #7115 on: April 15, 2013, 07:10:52 AM

I finally started Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition.  HARD!  I needed a break from Secret World and a mouse and keyboard.  Dark Souls is okay with the xbox controller.  I probably should have just waited for 2 on the xbox.  Dammit.  Still, everything is good except for it being on the PC!

This pretty much fixes the Dark Souls PC port. I highly, highly recommend installing it.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7116 on: April 15, 2013, 10:59:36 AM

Thanks, Murdoc!   Heart

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #7117 on: April 15, 2013, 11:03:22 PM

Been playing the swtor expansion. More of the same which is ok with me.

Tried a bit of Scarlet Blade. Not even T&A and bare boobies can save a game this boring.

Picked up Baldur's Gate 2 since it was on sale and always heard nice things about it. Rose colored glasses on this one for sure. D&D mechanics suck in video games, especially since I like to play mages. It's what killed DDO for me as well. Probably won't last too long on this one.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7118 on: April 16, 2013, 06:46:44 AM

I finally started Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition.  HARD!

Ha ha he he... let me know when you get here:

Started Lego City and it's pretty great.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #7119 on: April 16, 2013, 08:47:59 AM

Picked up Baldur's Gate 2 since it was on sale and always heard nice things about it. Rose colored glasses on this one for sure. D&D mechanics suck in video games, especially since I like to play mages. It's what killed DDO for me as well. Probably won't last too long on this one.
Baldur's Gate 2 is based on DND2.0 as well, which is pretty much cruel. Being a mage in BG2 isn't TOO terrible however since you don't start at level fucking 1.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #7120 on: April 16, 2013, 09:00:06 AM

Stone the heretic!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7121 on: April 16, 2013, 09:24:50 AM

Baldur's Gate 2 is based on DND2.0 as well, which is pretty much cruel. Being a mage in BG2 isn't TOO terrible however since you don't start at level fucking 1.

You have to know how to play DND2.0 to do well in BG2.  Which means picking it up today with today's gaming mindset means you are going to be fuxored.  There's no mana, mages requiere a lot of careful prep and effective spell combinations to work. (not fireball, fireball, fireball, magic missile, magic missile, ohh I'm dead.) 

When learning it's best to pick an OP melee class like barbarian, Paladin* or dual-wield ranger and learn the spell system with one of your NPCs.

*Today's video games also make you say "Wait.. paladin?"  Yes, Paladin. they were OP fighters before MMOs made them lame-ass plate-wearing heal bitches.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7122 on: April 16, 2013, 09:41:42 AM

My favorite BG2 game was when I played a Paladin and rushed to pick up the other paladin and we had the front line of awesome.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #7123 on: April 16, 2013, 09:43:30 AM

Or you choose easy mode with a Cleric. Healing bitches those are neither...
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #7124 on: April 16, 2013, 10:19:21 AM

Making your primary character a fighter is a pretty good idea in BG2 since you can pick up other mages and the game is over instantly if your main NPC dies. Having them be a gigantic bag of HP (and because the game shits amazing fighter/pally/etc centric gear all over you) is a good idea.

BG2's enemy mages are fucking irritating past a certain point though. Stock up on every stupid magic shield/buff stripping spell you can get because like every other mage will have some orb of fuck you invulnerability going.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7125 on: April 16, 2013, 11:10:13 AM

The spell defense/counterdefense minigame in BG2 is one of those love it or hate it deals, yeah.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #7126 on: April 16, 2013, 11:34:33 AM

Better yet, pick up ten or so levels of fighter as a human. Then dual over to cleric.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #7127 on: April 16, 2013, 01:11:11 PM

Running a fighter/magic user. Focusing more on abjuration for the tankiness. My main problem is how damn limited you are on the number of spells and that to get anything back you have to rest for eight hours. I'm totally a sucker for the 'too good to use' mental state and there's just so much of it between the spells, wands, potions and scrolls. +1 arrows dropping all over the place though. I'll get you out of jail Imoen, it'll just take a few years.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #7128 on: April 16, 2013, 05:15:55 PM

My favorite BG2 game was when I played a Paladin and rushed to pick up the other paladin and we had the front line of awesome.
Ranger. Pick up the other ranger and it's two arrow machines -- it's like a minigun. Throw in two mages (or mage and a cleric or druid) with slings and everything is dead before the fighters actually get there.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7129 on: April 16, 2013, 05:28:47 PM

Valygar isn't really all that impressive as an archer, actually - he's the stalker build so he's best used as a backstabbing melee character. The best archer NPC is Mazzy (the halfling fighter,) even though she can only use short bows.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #7130 on: April 16, 2013, 06:02:14 PM

Valygar isn't really all that impressive as an archer, actually - he's the stalker build so he's best used as a backstabbing melee character. The best archer NPC is Mazzy (the halfling fighter,) even though she can only use short bows.
I was actually think BG1. :)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #7131 on: April 16, 2013, 07:21:06 PM

There's that dude named Coran or something with DEX 19 wasn't it in BG1.
Fighter Thief - hunts wyverns has limited time to deliver Wyvern head before he leaves.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #7132 on: April 16, 2013, 07:27:39 PM

So far in BG1 I'm sticking with the default -> BG2 party which is Imoen, Jahiera, Minsc, Dynaheir, and Khalid.

It works out pretty well since I have Imoen using shortbows, Jahiera using a +1 sling, Minsc using the pretty badass +2 longbow you can get easily, and Dynaheir using wands/etc.

Khalid is such a shitty fighter though, especially compared to my guy who I munchkinized the shit out of.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #7133 on: April 16, 2013, 07:53:16 PM

Well, you can have him just kamikaze.
Him dying is canon.  awesome, for real
Then you can date his wife for rebound sex.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7134 on: April 16, 2013, 09:12:43 PM

So far in BG1 I'm sticking with the default -> BG2 party which is Imoen, Jahiera, Minsc, Dynaheir, and Khalid.

It works out pretty well since I have Imoen using shortbows, Jahiera using a +1 sling, Minsc using the pretty badass +2 longbow you can get easily, and Dynaheir using wands/etc.

Khalid is such a shitty fighter though, especially compared to my guy who I munchkinized the shit out of.

Khalid is why they invented gauntlets of ogre power.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #7135 on: April 16, 2013, 09:32:58 PM

I've been trying to replay BG1 (enhanced edition) recently, but for some silly reason I figured it might be fun to try a party full of magic users. Progressing in the game goes something like this:

Step 1) Quick Save, then rest for 8 hours
Step 2) Kill the kobolds that interrupted the resting process in Step 1
Step 3) Repeat steps 1 and 2 at least four more times
Step 4) Success! Finally rested. Quick Save
Step 5) Start moving forward
Step 6) Reload, since one of the mages got insta-killed by a kobold arrow
Step 7) Repeat steps 1 through 3 a couple of times
Step 8) Move forward, more carefully this time, take out kobolds one by one by
Step 9) Quick Save. Rest.
Step 10) Rince and repeat all previous steps for great success.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7136 on: April 16, 2013, 09:55:03 PM

Better yet, pick up ten or so levels of fighter as a human. Then dual over to cleric.
Fucking Anomen.  awesome, for real

And yeah, most fighter-type party members need one (and only one) item to make them good. Probably by design.

In BG2:
Minsc - has great STR and servicable DEX, so just load him up with stuff that makes him hit even harder.
Anomen - Gauntlets of Dex. Friends don't let friends take Anomen in their groups.
Korgan - Gauntlets of Dex.
Keldorn - Gauntlets of Dex. His STR isn't all that hot, but the level 9999 dispels + holy avenger make up for it.
Mazzy - Gauntlets of ogre power / belt of x giant strength.
Valygar - meh.
OMG TOB SPOILER - nothing!

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7137 on: April 16, 2013, 11:34:53 PM

Or you could play with mods like I do, one of which rebalances all of the items in the game. Not only does it make all fixed-stat items like the Gauntlets of Dexterity or the myriad strength belts give a flat 3rd Edition-style +2 or so to the stat, but it also implements DEX penalties for heavy armor. So someone like Keldorn not only gains no benefit from the Gauntlets of Dexterity, he'd also be under a 2 or 3 DEX penalty from his armor. On the flip side, the passive bonuses (like the semi-hidden typed defenses) on most armors have been buffed, so it kind of makes up for it.

It goes without saying that I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Item Revisions. Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:37:01 PM by koro »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7138 on: April 16, 2013, 11:50:52 PM

I've been trying to replay BG1 (enhanced edition) recently, but for some silly reason I figured it might be fun to try a party full of magic users. Progressing in the game goes something like this:

Step 1) Quick Save, then rest for 8 hours
Step 2) Kill the kobolds that interrupted the resting process in Step 1
Step 3) Repeat steps 1 and 2 at least four more times
Step 4) Success! Finally rested. Quick Save
Step 5) Start moving forward
Step 6) Reload, since one of the mages got insta-killed by a kobold arrow
Step 7) Repeat steps 1 through 3 a couple of times
Step 8) Move forward, more carefully this time, take out kobolds one by one by
Step 9) Quick Save. Rest.
Step 10) Rince and repeat all previous steps for great success.
Yeah but you'll have a ton of fire arrows you can't use after all that work awesome, for real
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #7139 on: April 17, 2013, 01:03:12 AM

Minsc made everything awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wE_J431c4M

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: