Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 02:56:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2231519 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6580 on: January 18, 2013, 08:03:43 AM

Sell it!? But...but... it might come in handy....some day...

This was the problem I had at first in Skyrim with the books. I'd pick up EVERYTHING, then be out of inventory when something important came along. I quickly stopped picking up all the books.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6581 on: January 18, 2013, 08:18:48 AM

My money maker is dwemer ruins. I pick up all the dwemer metal crap.

That's a real cash cow if you're a smith/enchanter. Take all the dwarven struts, metal, bent metal, etc to a smelter. Smelt down into bars. Use bars with iron to make bows. Upgrade bows with ingots. Enchant bows. Make 15,000 gold.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6582 on: January 18, 2013, 09:31:44 AM

I'm a hoarder so I'm almost always at full inventory capacity. Clearly I need to stop leaving items on corpses and start selling them... and the 250 potions and alchemy ingredients I'm carrying about.  awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6583 on: January 18, 2013, 09:59:04 AM

I have a weight/value system using the displayed value.  Early game, I look inside EVERYTHING but only pick up something that has a gold value equal or greater than ten times the weight.  Adjust the multiplier as you level.  It is surprisingly effective at letting you get rich while also not hindering your gameplay.  Just don't do like my wife and pick up something enormous and say "but it's worth 180 gold!" when it weighs 32 units, or you'll just get overburdened faster and get shit when you sell.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6584 on: January 18, 2013, 10:48:45 AM

I use the same number of 10 x weight. If it doesn't meet that ratio, forget it. Exception being dwemer metal, which when broken down is worth tons more.

I also rob houses for the thieves guild and fence everything. I mean clean the places out. Jugs, barrels, baskets, shoes, clothes irons, whatever. If you clean 3 houses in solitude, you can net about 5000 gold in fencing goods.

I also take the baskets and dump them all in the blue palace. I'm slowly taking it over with baskets.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6585 on: January 18, 2013, 11:32:29 AM

Yea, I've been using value/weight for a while too. Typically at the start I'll bother with mundane equipment like leather armor and heavier weapons, then switch to "only magical or really light-weight stuff" later. This is mostly due to the eleventy billion alchemy reagents / potions I carry around, though.  awesome, for real

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6586 on: January 18, 2013, 11:36:05 AM

I don't think I bothered picking up anything to sell except jewelry and gems past about level 15-20 and still was always up to my ears in gold.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #6587 on: January 18, 2013, 11:36:29 AM

My money maker is dwemer ruins. I pick up all the dwemer metal crap.

That's a real cash cow if you're a smith/enchanter. Take all the dwarven struts, metal, bent metal, etc to a smelter. Smelt down into bars. Use bars with iron to make bows. Upgrade bows with ingots. Enchant bows. Make 15,000 gold.

SON OF A BITCH. I had no idea you could smelt that junk.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6588 on: January 18, 2013, 11:39:49 AM

I should really head to Riven(?) and join the thieves guild.  I'm level 19 but I've done all of.. uh.. 10 quests.  Which is funny because I created this character with the intent of developing a Mage/ Thief hybrid.  My sneak is nearly 60 and my archery is 45 so killing things is an amusing sniping side game.

However this game gives me BAAAD quest ADD.   Right now I'm 1) Trying to clear the shrine of Minerva(sp?)  2) Trying to find the Companion's Horn 3) Trying to find a staff for the Mage's college 4) Trying to kill a shitload of bandits for that young Jarl  5) Randomly entering dungeons/ clearing points of interest of bandits.

Seems like I'll just be wandering off to do a quest task and come across some other point of interest and get sidetracked by a  quest drop I happen to pick-up in the process.

So what's this about smelting stuff?  All I get is the option to smelt ores, never the option to melt-down/ disassemble any of the stuff i make.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #6589 on: January 18, 2013, 11:45:00 AM

If you look at the menu on the smelter, there are about eight options to make dwarven ingots. Each is for smelting a different type chunk of dwermer metal.

I really hate that they decided to mix and match dwarven and dwermer in this game...

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6590 on: January 18, 2013, 11:46:48 AM

When you clear dwemer ruins, look for these things lying around:

Small Dwemer Plate Metal
Large Decorative Dwemer Strut
Bent Dwemer Scrap Metal
Large Dwemer Plate Metal
Solid Dwemer Metal
Large Dwemer Strut

If you have the carry space, most of those smelt down into 3 ingots a piece. Decorative struts are 2 ingots, solid metal is 5 ingots. The best carry/ingot ratio is the Plate and Scrap metals, which weight about 2 carry and give you 3 ingots.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6591 on: January 18, 2013, 11:54:43 AM

Also the reason you make bows is that they have the best ingot to sell price ratio.

An improved bow takes 3 ingots (2 to craft along with 1 iron) and 1 ingot to upgrade. That means 60 ingots makes 20 improved bows

Improved bows at the top end have a 540 base value. Depending on your speech skill and perks this usually nets around 300-450 gold per bow on sale. That's 8000 gold at 400 per 20 bows.

So essentially you can turn 20 plate metals into 8000 gold.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6592 on: January 18, 2013, 11:58:39 AM

When you clear dwemer ruins, look for these things lying around:

Small Dwemer Plate Metal
Large Decorative Dwemer Strut
Bent Dwemer Scrap Metal
Large Dwemer Plate Metal
Solid Dwemer Metal
Large Dwemer Strut

If you have the carry space, most of those smelt down into 3 ingots a piece. Decorative struts are 2 ingots, solid metal is 5 ingots. The best carry/ingot ratio is the Plate and Scrap metals, which weight about 2 carry and give you 3 ingots.

That stuff is far too heavy to bother with.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6593 on: January 18, 2013, 12:28:35 PM

No, it's not. If you can't pick up the small plates, bent plates, and large plates, you're lazy.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #6594 on: January 18, 2013, 12:46:25 PM

The trick is also to just go into random caves/dungeons/etc with only what you really need. Since weapons and armor don't break just wear whatever your best all-rounder set is, rings/necklaces are negligable so you can take a few of each, Take 2-3 of your best weapons and a ranged thing (staff or bow) along with a handful of soul gems to recharge them with, actually go through your potions and weed out all the dumb shit you'll never use, and deposit ALL crafting materials at whatever your house is and just take the time to fast travel back to craft.

Also even if they're annoying take a companion and load them down with shit. If they're annoying and keep tripping traps and getting slaughtered, tell them to wait and use them like an item deposit box.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6595 on: January 18, 2013, 12:50:20 PM

No, it's not. If you can't pick up the small plates, bent plates, and large plates, you're lazy.

No, it really is. You can go effectively infinite on cash without ever mucking around with that stuff, especially if you do the Thieves' Guild stuff early so you have fences for stolen crap. The only real restriction on your income is how much money the shopkeepers have.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #6596 on: January 18, 2013, 06:42:16 PM

I did that, too. Giant hairy barbarian, loves to chop people into little pieces and cruise used book stores.

I had to grind loot to buy a house because my inventory was so full of books, I couldn't carry more than my weapons and armor.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #6597 on: January 19, 2013, 02:45:34 AM

Finally beat Far Cry 3.  Meh.  I mean, I got my $60 out of it.  But it was so unfulfilled.  I wonder if at any point the environmental artists and level designers looked at the writers and wanted to murder them with that stupid knife. 

My suggestions for improvement:  Gut the story and characters (leave the German guy) and make a supernatural thriller kind of game on the islands.  So much potential in the world design, so much lost in the story. 
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6598 on: January 19, 2013, 05:12:15 AM

I use the same number of 10 x weight. If it doesn't meet that ratio, forget it. Exception being dwemer metal, which when broken down is worth tons more.

I also rob houses for the thieves guild and fence everything. I mean clean the places out. Jugs, barrels, baskets, shoes, clothes irons, whatever. If you clean 3 houses in solitude, you can net about 5000 gold in fencing goods.

I also take the baskets and dump them all in the blue palace. I'm slowly taking it over with baskets.

My daughter pickpockets shoes off everyone in towns and then drops them. So Whiterun, etc, is full of people walking around in their bare feet and shoes and boots all over the street.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #6599 on: January 19, 2013, 06:32:18 AM

Finally beat Far Cry 3.  Meh.  I mean, I got my $60 out of it.  But it was so unfulfilled.  I wonder if at any point the environmental artists and level designers looked at the writers and wanted to murder them with that stupid knife. 

My suggestions for improvement:  Gut the story and characters (leave the German guy) and make a supernatural thriller kind of game on the islands.  So much potential in the world design, so much lost in the story. 
Heart

Also, how many times did the protagonist get stabbed in the heart, 4?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6600 on: January 19, 2013, 03:40:28 PM

Heart

Also, how many times did the protagonist get stabbed in the heart, 4?

Even iif the protagonist were a mildly interesting character rather than a colossal douchnozzle, the number of times that the game requires you to walk into a situation that even a mentally defective capuchin monkey would know was a set-up and get stabbed, knocked-out, ambushed for the sake of the 'plot', such as it is, is intolerable. I have no idea why the affection for the game: it seems determined to undercut the underlying design at every possible turn.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #6601 on: January 19, 2013, 03:51:04 PM

Finished Ico and currently playing Swtor and Tropico 4. I think my sage would be a little more interesting if I'd gone darkside. Being the noble, chaste good guy is kinda dull.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #6602 on: January 19, 2013, 04:49:56 PM

I have no idea why the affection for the game: it seems determined to undercut the underlying design at every possible turn.
This. The so called plot was not only atriocious in itself, it actually detracted from the things the game did fairly well.

Worst of all was the presentation, though. There's nothing as fun as having to sit through several minutes of fuck-awful acting and writing every half hour of gameplay. Luckily, cutscenes kept playing, muted, when you alt-tabbed out of them, so I just switched to browse the web any time they started.

My only other complaint was that there were also several rail-shooter type segments in the second half of the game, which were fairly awful and rather at odds the rest of the game, again attempting something the game didn't do nearly as well as the open world bits.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #6603 on: January 20, 2013, 07:14:22 PM

I'm a hoarder so I'm almost always at full inventory capacity. Clearly I need to stop leaving items on corpses and start selling them... and the 250 potions and alchemy ingredients I'm carrying about.  awesome, for real

Brew those ingredients, then cash out your potions.  You need like 10x Health and 10x Mana of an appropriate level and you're good.

Forget that nonsense Paelos is talking, I'm sure he dutifully files Dwemer gains every year.  If you go into a Dwemer ruin you should be carting out enough tonnage in random goods that you have no room for scrap.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6604 on: January 21, 2013, 02:38:45 AM

Stealing the tank is a pain in the ass.  Shaking fist

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6605 on: January 21, 2013, 06:54:16 AM

Forget that nonsense Paelos is talking, I'm sure he dutifully files Dwemer gains every year.  If you go into a Dwemer ruin you should be carting out enough tonnage in random goods that you have no room for scrap.

I'm a Dwemer millionaire! Seriously though, the bent metal stuff is 2 carry per metal. What planet are yall living on where this is too much to carry? By the time I start doing this I have well over 500 carry space. (Steed stone, pickpocket perk, stamina boosts)

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6606 on: January 21, 2013, 08:02:30 AM

"What, you mean not everyone looks like me!?"

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #6607 on: January 21, 2013, 08:33:49 AM

Just killed the two bosses in Anor Londo and have hit a bit of a wall in Dark Souls. I have 4 Boss weapons, with the Furysword at +5 but I always seem to be out of Humanity and farming for  humanity by killing rats gets pretty boring. Tried the Tomb of the Giants (died) and the Duke's Archive (died) and feel that there's some place that I have missed that I should journey to first.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #6608 on: January 21, 2013, 09:36:00 AM

Just killed the two bosses in Anor Londo and have hit a bit of a wall in Dark Souls. I have 4 Boss weapons, with the Furysword at +5 but I always seem to be out of Humanity and farming for  humanity by killing rats gets pretty boring. Tried the Tomb of the Giants (died) and the Duke's Archive (died) and feel that there's some place that I have missed that I should journey to first.
Why are you trying to farm for humanity, anyway? Beyond daughters of chaos, I mean. The baby lake in tomb of the giants is probably the easiest place to do it, and you SHOULD be able to get down there if you've cleared Anor Londo. Grab the sunlight maggot helm if you want to do it easymode. Remember that you can't farm humanity if you've killed the boss.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #6609 on: January 21, 2013, 09:55:54 AM

Just killed the two bosses in Anor Londo and have hit a bit of a wall in Dark Souls. I have 4 Boss weapons, with the Furysword at +5 but I always seem to be out of Humanity and farming for  humanity by killing rats gets pretty boring. Tried the Tomb of the Giants (died) and the Duke's Archive (died) and feel that there's some place that I have missed that I should journey to first.
Why are you trying to farm for humanity, anyway? Beyond daughters of chaos, I mean. The baby lake in tomb of the giants is probably the easiest place to do it, and you SHOULD be able to get down there if you've cleared Anor Londo. Grab the sunlight maggot helm if you want to do it easymode. Remember that you can't farm humanity if you've killed the boss.

The Furysword scales with held humanity and due to some unforeseen issues - I have lost a good chunk of mine. Plus, I'm kindling up a few bonfires to 20 flasks. I was doing ok in Tomb of the Giants but hit a bad streak yesterday that sucked most of my humanity away so I headed elsewhere.

I haven't quite made it all the way down to the baby lake yet - but I'll go back into the tomb. I have the lantern, but the helm would make things even easier.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Nayr
Terracotta Army

Reply #6610 on: January 21, 2013, 10:03:27 AM

Been playing Mass Effect 3 for the last few days. Doing a bad run - sabotage the cure and kill Wrex, side with the Geth and watch Tali commit suicide. I also didn't give Miranda access to Alliance resources, meaning she's gonna die at Sanctuary. My Readiness is at 100% and have 1200 in N7 Special Ops, so I'm still at like 4091 EMS tho.

Was playing Fallout 3 before that.

I support the right to arm bears.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6611 on: January 21, 2013, 11:12:49 AM

I'm a Dwemer millionaire! Seriously though, the bent metal stuff is 2 carry per metal. What planet are yall living on where this is too much to carry? By the time I start doing this I have well over 500 carry space. (Steed stone, pickpocket perk, stamina boosts)

From my viewpoint, you're wasting resources on carry space that is totally superfluous because you can be completely stupidly rich without doing that, which means you could use your stone on something useful, not waste time with the pickpocket tree, etc.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6612 on: January 21, 2013, 11:40:57 AM

You just hate economic fun, is all.

It's not just about getting rich. It's about GETTING IT ALL!

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #6613 on: January 21, 2013, 11:54:36 AM

I did that, too. Giant hairy barbarian, loves to chop people into little pieces and cruise used book stores.

IRL or in game?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6614 on: January 21, 2013, 06:29:53 PM

I am merely a player!
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: