Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:05:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2231625 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5600 on: March 10, 2012, 10:36:47 AM

http://www.townsgame.com/

Picked this up the other day (thanks to Severian for plugging it in the Dwarf Fortress thread). It's a little indie game in alpha?beta? that is strangely intriguing.

I mined into a river and accidentally flooded my mine and killed 3 or 4 people (out of 11 that's a lot!). I didn't realize that trees regrow all by themselves.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #5601 on: March 10, 2012, 11:38:38 AM

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about Crysis and Farcry series because my rig was in no way up to them before.  Thanks.

Crysis is sort of incomprehensible bullshit.  On the other hand, it's pretty as all fuck and you can saw down trees with a machine gun.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5602 on: March 10, 2012, 11:44:42 AM

Really ?

I found it easy to follow (if not believable at all, even before THE EVENTS) and, by fuck, it was pretty as hell and actually had some gameplay there.  If you actually put the effort in to muck about with the suit, you can pull of some cool shit.

Far Cry was Awesome.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #5603 on: March 10, 2012, 01:01:53 PM

not believable at all
I suppose that's a more correct way to put it.  Everything just follows Michael Bay logic in that universe.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5604 on: March 10, 2012, 01:21:36 PM

Yeah, can't argue with that.

Never did get to play the second one yet.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5605 on: March 10, 2012, 01:41:12 PM

I don't play games for the deep meaningful subtext and metaphor the developer tried so hard to invest into their design. I care even less if the world or story makes fuck all sense. (Rupies from pots! awesome, for real)  

All I care about is the game play.   Somewhere along the line people have started losing sight of that.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5606 on: March 10, 2012, 01:49:59 PM

swamp poop

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5607 on: March 10, 2012, 05:24:30 PM

Can anyone recommend a newish party based rpg?

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5608 on: March 10, 2012, 05:31:15 PM

Can anyone recommend a newish party based rpg?

jrpg or western style?

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5609 on: March 10, 2012, 05:45:48 PM

Western, more icewind dale than final fantasy.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

Reply #5610 on: March 10, 2012, 06:36:38 PM

Have you tried Dragon Age 1?  It's about as close to the Infinity Engine series as you're going to get.  The NWN series aren't bad once you figure in the expansions.  Both base games are a bit assy.

Not a very well represented sub-genre nowadays. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:39:45 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5611 on: March 10, 2012, 06:39:28 PM

Yeah i beat the first dragon age and all the nwn games and expansions, i was hoping there was some hidden indy gems i hadn't even heard about.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

Reply #5612 on: March 10, 2012, 06:43:20 PM

Drakensang is party based, isn't it?  I think it has a touch of the eurojankiness, however.

-Rasix
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5613 on: March 10, 2012, 06:46:15 PM

Haven't played it, but isn't Avadon supposed to be a throwback to this type of game?
edit:
Or Eschalon, though I haven't played that either.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:53:12 PM by Kail »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5614 on: March 10, 2012, 07:06:28 PM

Western, more icewind dale than final fantasy.

Does anyone even make party-based RPGs any more?

Maybe try uh...Etrian Odyssey? It's made by a Japanese company but Japan has a weird thing going with Wizardry style games if that's your think. (Oddly enough after Wizardry died in the US it was still big in Japan and Japan still regularly puts out that style of game.)

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5615 on: March 10, 2012, 08:03:51 PM

Drakensang is party based, isn't it?  I think it has a touch of the eurojankiness, however.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #5616 on: March 10, 2012, 10:54:33 PM

Avadon's not bad from what I've seen played and it even has the distinction of being a Jeff Vogel game that's not horribly overpriced.

Eschalon is also pretty fun, but it's not party-based. It's pretty unabashedly old-school, though, even down to having to having to spend an hour in chargen waiting for your dice-rolled stats to not be horrible (which is by design).
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5617 on: March 10, 2012, 11:35:58 PM

Picked this up the other day (thanks to Severian for plugging it in the Dwarf Fortress thread). It's a little indie game in alpha?beta? that is strangely intriguing.

I mined into a river and accidentally flooded my mine and killed 3 or 4 people (out of 11 that's a lot!). I didn't realize that trees regrow all by themselves.

I just lost the last three hours to this game.  Not sure I want to play it again.  It's too much fun; I didn't get to play anything else!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5618 on: March 11, 2012, 04:45:47 AM

So I've decided my gaming Ennui requires a good, long-session shooter.  It's been a long time since I've played one. Any recommendations?  SP only, I don't give 2 fucks about multiplayer so that pretty much rules out any of the Battlefield or MOH series as I understand it.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier comes out in May I think.  Curious to see how that one turns out.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #5619 on: March 11, 2012, 06:53:52 AM

This particular playthrough of crusader kings 2 has been hilarious. I began as a pithy little earl in Desmond. I've now taken over the entirety of ireland, made myself king, and bitchslapped my vassals into behaving themselves instead of constantly bitchfighting amongst each other. That took one ruler's time once I started to get traction (or perhaps more likely, after I began to understand things a bit better), so now I'm just trying to save up to go to war against scotland. It can only end badly. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

One stumbling block which I had to deal with rather messily, however, was the fact my first-born son was retarded, and my second bastard son turned out to be a dwarf. Assassinated the first son, left the bastard son a bastard son, knocked the wife up (she hates me at this point), she poops out twin sons, starts plotting my demise, at which point I throw her ass in the slammer.

I did do a run through without killing off the son, and England invaded me before i could say cake. Close call, that.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5620 on: March 11, 2012, 07:19:35 AM

I just lost the last three hours to this game.  Not sure I want to play it again.  It's too much fun; I didn't get to play anything else!

My entire mine flooded so I began anew. Stay away from mining near water; there is no way to stop a flood.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5621 on: March 11, 2012, 09:35:55 AM

It was way too rough for me.  I may try again when I'm not so ill.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5622 on: March 11, 2012, 05:07:52 PM

This particular playthrough of crusader kings 2 has been hilarious. I began as a pithy little earl in Desmond. I've now taken over the entirety of ireland, made myself king, and bitchslapped my vassals into behaving themselves instead of constantly bitchfighting amongst each other. That took one ruler's time once I started to get traction (or perhaps more likely, after I began to understand things a bit better), so now I'm just trying to save up to go to war against scotland. It can only end badly. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

One stumbling block which I had to deal with rather messily, however, was the fact my first-born son was retarded, and my second bastard son turned out to be a dwarf. Assassinated the first son, left the bastard son a bastard son, knocked the wife up (she hates me at this point), she poops out twin sons, starts plotting my demise, at which point I throw her ass in the slammer.

I did do a run through without killing off the son, and England invaded me before i could say cake. Close call, that.

You may have just sold me on this game.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #5623 on: March 11, 2012, 06:00:27 PM

Caveat: The UI is ass, the tutorials are ass, and there are still tons of nuances I don't fathom the implications of yet, but situations like that, especially when I manage to defuse it, is hilarious.

The thing about switching from one ruler to another, however, does suck. I need to figure out the best way to setup the next heir so I don't end up like I did not long after the last generation change, where I got invaded by 2 or 3 different parties at once. And, of course, I hadn't built up any part of the counties at all, so I'm probably going to redo the Desmund guy from scratch, see how that turns out with a little bit more experience under the belt.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5624 on: March 11, 2012, 10:38:09 PM

Civilization V was on super sale on steam today. Picked it up. First Civ game I have ever played.

I was planning on doing my taxes tonight as it is my one day off....but I played Civ for 6 hours straight.

Sigh

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5625 on: March 12, 2012, 06:25:32 AM

Played this for a few hours on and off yesterday, trying to get through the tutorials. Definitely alpha software, but it does have some kind of pull.

With a bit of help from the poorly-laid out wiki I was able to get close to the end of the last one, but for some reason couldn't dig down to the 3rd level. By that time I had finally gotten a self-sufficient farm going (thanks to a nearby apple orchard saving my butt a couple times) and weathered a 'siege' (more of an attack, really) by spiders (which didn't count toward the tutorial goal).
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #5626 on: March 12, 2012, 08:54:14 AM

My wife wanted to try a Harvest Moon game, so I picked her up Animal Parade for Wii cheap and it got here Friday.  Then I ended up putting at least 8 hours into it myself over the weekend.  awesome, for real

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5627 on: March 12, 2012, 08:56:49 AM

We own every single version of Harvest moon. Some are better than others. Animal Parade is not the best, but its certainly better than the special edition ( A wonderful life ).

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #5628 on: March 12, 2012, 08:59:21 AM

Which is the best? I've got someone in mind that I think would really enjoy this style of game.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5629 on: March 12, 2012, 09:08:52 AM

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature, Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland, Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility.

Or

Rune Factory series, which is a spin off, less farming, more dungeons than any others.

My personal pick is Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland, or the original.

Avoid Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life, its pure ass on a technical ( Load screens galore, horrible frame rates, shitty art direction ) and fun level. Most of the hand held versions are also avoidable.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5630 on: March 12, 2012, 07:38:01 PM

I played Rune Factory: Frontier on Wii.  I had to stop myself, almost called my sponsor.  That said, I've been wanting to check out the RF for the PS3... Tides of Destiny I think?
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #5631 on: March 13, 2012, 03:35:39 AM

I don't play games for the deep meaningful subtext and metaphor the developer tried so hard to invest into their design. I care even less if the world or story makes fuck all sense. (Rupies from pots! awesome, for real)  

All I care about is the game play.   Somewhere along the line people have started losing sight of that.

Look, there's a difference between an acceptable level of derp and dragging an alien horror back to your aircraft carrier so you can have the ultimate mechacthulu showdown with it.

But even so, the gameplay of Crysis just isn't that good.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5632 on: March 13, 2012, 09:46:31 AM

Played this for a few hours on and off yesterday, trying to get through the tutorials. Definitely alpha software, but it does have some kind of pull.

With a bit of help from the poorly-laid out wiki I was able to get close to the end of the last one, but for some reason couldn't dig down to the 3rd level. By that time I had finally gotten a self-sufficient farm going (thanks to a nearby apple orchard saving my butt a couple times) and weathered a 'siege' (more of an attack, really) by spiders (which didn't count toward the tutorial goal).

Maybe you have to kill the Spider Queen before you can get to the next level?

I just opened the Goblin level. It's a lot harder than Spider was.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5633 on: March 13, 2012, 11:59:27 AM

How much lateral digging did you do? I didn't want to send the drones out so far they'd start getting hungry and tired and just spend all their time running back and forth.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5634 on: March 13, 2012, 11:00:11 PM

G.C. Impostors has fizzled out so we are back to Borderlands.  The sessions generally consist of us being assholes, especially with vehicles, while doing quests for whichever character isn't yet on play 2.

I also played some Dark Souls again.  Pyro at lv41 or something, using Black Knight Sword and Stone armor.  Finally went into Blighttown, using the front door since I was told that I could get a pyro thingy and a big shield.  Fortunately this game is easier than the first one.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: