Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 01:16:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Viable/Valuable play style? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Viable/Valuable play style?  (Read 22704 times)
Rodivar
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 09:16:26 AM

For missioning, up until level 4s I relied almost entirely on drones for my DPS.  When you get into cruisers, the vexor will be your best friend because it can put up a significant tank and dish out a ton of damage.  The progression for a Gallente missioner would be something like Incursus --> Vexor --> Myrmidon --> Dominix.

Chris, perfect, perfect thank you.  

In between posting and reading your message I had just purchased my Incursus  (much better than my previous, 3 vs. 2 high, 3vs2 mid more cpu ect..ect..ect.. still only 5mibt/droid but hey for 175k I'm not complaining

Thank you for the continued advice, it's much appreciated!

Comstar, thanks for the super great feedback too. 

100% no offense to Goon but I'm not ready to rush out into 0.0 so the spy/no spy thing is really a non issue for me.  Perhaps I will make a life of rat.  The main reason I asked in the beginning was because the build out wiki restricted access to the second layer of training advice.  It's all good though, It would seem I have some experts here with likely more up to date information so it's all good!
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 09:25:32 AM

...Any LOVEU member could get you in to Goonswarm, but consider this- if you turn out to be a spy, said member will also be kicked out. Yes, this sucks, and is yet another example of CCP wanting to be able to grief their player base more than making a playable game experience.

How is CCP responsible for Goonfleet's anti spying policy?

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 10:17:48 AM

1.  Is a support type play style valuable-  Gallente drone dude who uses drones to repair others during battle, keeps fast movers at bay and does electronic counter measures.  AKA crowd control healer type?

Absolutely. The current Flavor Of The Month for PVP is the arch typical Caldari Tech 2  Falcon cruiser that decloaks and jamms you 200km while his buddy in a HAC comes in and kill you. Used to be the Rapier until it got nurfed. Caldari, and to a lesser extent Minmater EW ships are always useful. The Gallente EW ship stops people warping off at longer than normal ranges so actually is probably the most survivable after the Falcon.

In battle-space-priests aren't that useful because Fleet Commanders *never* use them. However, the Gallente Tech 2 Armour Rep ship is in high demand for repping POS mods. They could be extremely useful in small gangs, but again, FC's never use them to their full potential. 

If keeping the other ship locked down makes you more survivable I must be missing something & just cause Goons don't use healers/logistics outside of POS ops (*yawn*) doesn't mean they aren't viable CVA use them for PvP a hell of a lot it's really refreshing to see.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #38 on: January 01, 2009, 10:34:49 AM

If keeping the other ship locked down makes you more survivable I must be missing something & just cause Goons don't use healers/logistics outside of POS ops (*yawn*) doesn't mean they aren't viable CVA use them for PvP a hell of a lot it's really refreshing to see.

Our standard roaming fleet is a remote rep BS op.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 01, 2009, 10:46:43 AM

I'm talking about Guardians and Scimitars I've seen them put to good use in PvP since the QR patch.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Rodivar
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 11:31:00 AM

Since the advanced information on the goon wiki is high security :)

Anyone know of some good links to ship build out reccomendations. 

I'm currently flying a Incursus (just upgraded this morning)

High:

1. 150 MM Rail Gun
2. 150 MM Carbide Rail gun
3.  Regulated Light Ion Phase Cannon (Im using this when adds' come inside my orbit range of main targets of 150MM's)

Medium
1. Civillian Shield Booster
2. Empty

Low
1. Small Armor Repair
2. Reactor Control Unit

Drone Bay
Hobgoblin 1 (I lost my warrior, think I forgot to pick him up last night)

Anyway, if someone could point me in a good direction for ship build out info it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance. 
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 01:20:55 PM

Get Evemon (this is pretty much the one single most required app after the game client itself).

Make yourself a training plan. It can be blank for this purpose but you should get around to filling it out sooner rather than later.
Open your plan and go to the 'Ship Browser' tab at the top.
Select the ship you're interested in and you'll see a link to suggested loadouts above the stats window. This will bring you a selection of fits of various quality levels. Be wary of any fitting from more than 6-9 months ago as there's a good chance that it will no longer be viable. Evemon will also suggest a training plan to get you into that loadout if you don't already have the skills for it.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 01:23:45 PM

Rodivar, fit all 125mm railguns in your his until you have the fitting ability to use 150mms.  Always fit an afterburner in your mids for missioning and a damage control/armor repairer in your lows.  The other two mids are up to you, but I'd go with a web and maybe a tracking computer if you can fit them yet.

As to logistics ships: an Oneiros with remote tracking links magnifies the cruiser-killing power of a pulse apoc or even a megathron or rokh a great deal.
Rodivar
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 01:27:15 PM

Iain & Chris,

Thanks much ...really.

I love this game so far, part of it is that I travel alot so in many games I feel left behind....I will just start training some level 5 skills before a trip and let them train while away, perfect!

Matter of fact I'm going to save my level 5 stuff for when I know I will be on the road!
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 01:44:52 PM

General fitting advice, mostly true for all ships and roles:

Don't leave slots empty. There's bound to be something that you can put in there.

Don't tank everything. Either armour or shields, not both. Hull tanking doesn't work. Speed tanking can work but not until you have a lot more skill.

Look at the bonuses for your ship, try to make your fitting use those bonuses where possible.

Don't mix and match your weapon ranges. Fit your ship to engage at a particular range and choose your weapons accordingly. If half your weapons are out of range or can't track at your given engagement range then you've done something wrong.

If you're fitted for longer range engagements, then either use drones for killing stuff that gets too close or give yourself ways to get back into effective range quickly.

If you're fitted for short range engagements then you need a very strong tank and you need to be able to close the range as fast as possible.

Low slots are for DPS upgrades and armour tank modules.

Mid slots are for ewar, capacitor and shield tank modules.

Hi slots are for DPS/healing modules.

Fit an AB to your ship if at all possible. MWDs don't work in deadspace and are now really only for very specific roles.

Try and avoid using fitting modules that give you more CPU or more powergrid. Sometimes and for some roles they are required, however there's nearly always a better fitting that doesn't end up wasting one of your low slots in the process.

Look at all the skills that make it easier to fit a ship - Electronics, Engineering, Weapons Upgrades, Advanced Weapons Upgrades, Shield Upgrades etc. Try and get these skills as soon as you can, even if it's only to level 2 or 3 to begin with. You will want them all at 5 eventually though.

EFT is a good way to test out fits before you spend any money. It will also show you important things like how long your capacitor will last for a given fit which you have no other way of determining except via testing.

Don't forget drones, if your ship has a drone bay, fill it up.

If you're running missions, a salvager will increase your income level by an order of magnitude. The skill costs 900k but it will pay for itself the first time out.

Rodivar
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 01, 2009, 06:03:37 PM

General fitting advice, mostly true for all ships and roles:

Don't leave slots empty. There's bound to be something that you can put in there.

Don't tank everything. Either armour or shields, not both. Hull tanking doesn't work. Speed tanking can work but not until you have a lot more skill.

Look at the bonuses for your ship, try to make your fitting use those bonuses where possible.

Don't mix and match your weapon ranges. Fit your ship to engage at a particular range and choose your weapons accordingly. If half your weapons are out of range or can't track at your given engagement range then you've done something wrong.

If you're fitted for longer range engagements, then either use drones for killing stuff that gets too close or give yourself ways to get back into effective range quickly.

If you're fitted for short range engagements then you need a very strong tank and you need to be able to close the range as fast as possible.

Low slots are for DPS upgrades and armour tank modules.

Mid slots are for ewar, capacitor and shield tank modules.

Hi slots are for DPS/healing modules.

Fit an AB to your ship if at all possible. MWDs don't work in deadspace and are now really only for very specific roles.

Try and avoid using fitting modules that give you more CPU or more powergrid. Sometimes and for some roles they are required, however there's nearly always a better fitting that doesn't end up wasting one of your low slots in the process.

Look at all the skills that make it easier to fit a ship - Electronics, Engineering, Weapons Upgrades, Advanced Weapons Upgrades, Shield Upgrades etc. Try and get these skills as soon as you can, even if it's only to level 2 or 3 to begin with. You will want them all at 5 eventually though.

EFT is a good way to test out fits before you spend any money. It will also show you important things like how long your capacitor will last for a given fit which you have no other way of determining except via testing.

Don't forget drones, if your ship has a drone bay, fill it up.

If you're running missions, a salvager will increase your income level by an order of magnitude. The skill costs 900k but it will pay for itself the first time out.

Thank you, general advice will serve me longer/better than specific put x here, y there.  The ship fitting makes more sense to me now.. much appreciated.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #46 on: January 01, 2009, 06:18:07 PM

What's your name in game? You have an 10 million isk cosmic karma gift incoming.....

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Rodivar
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 01, 2009, 06:33:55 PM

Slayerick,

That is a very kind offer and definitely not expected, thank you very much. 

I m Gagain Yuri in game...

Now if you could mail me some piloting skills I would really be in good shape :)

Again thank you very much...\

Slayerick,

I don't even know who to thank in game, what is your name there? 

In any event, thank you. 

Edit:  Newbie navigation-  I am still getting the whole navigation thing down but I did find a short term answer.  If I visit a base I like that's multiple jumps from my 'home" base.  I leave one trash item at that base.  I can then open assets folder and set navigation to that base and use auto pilot to get back.  I know it's not the proper method of navigation but it saved me a lot of lost time for now. 

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 07:42:01 AM by Rodivar »
WayAbvPar

Reply #48 on: January 02, 2009, 08:11:51 AM

That works as well as anything. Eventually you will have crap scattered to the 4 corners of the universe. I have 200+ items at some station in 0.0 from F13's first 0.0 alliance...our alliance (I can't remember who it was- FIX maybe?) got manhandled by another alliance and we had to bail out of the area. If I am ever bored, I might cloak my way into the region and put it all up for sale  awesome, for real

As echoed by many others- join F13 channel and pepper us with questions in there. Might even be some handmedown goodies or isk in it for you.

One thing I found really useful in frigate fittings (before I had proper fitting skills- MAPC. It is worthless outside of frigates, but can help you squeeze some more goodies into your fitting while you are still training fitting skills.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #49 on: January 02, 2009, 08:29:09 AM

That works as well as anything. Eventually you will have crap scattered to the 4 corners of the universe. I have 200+ items at some station in 0.0 from F13's first 0.0 alliance...our alliance (I can't remember who it was- FIX maybe?) got manhandled by another alliance and we had to bail out of the area. If I am ever bored, I might cloak my way into the region and put it all up for sale  awesome, for real

The OSS, Tribute region.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #50 on: January 02, 2009, 09:15:23 AM

Edit:  Newbie navigation-  I am still getting the whole navigation thing down but I did find a short term answer.  If I visit a base I like that's multiple jumps from my 'home" base.  I leave one trash item at that base.  I can then open assets folder and set navigation to that base and use auto pilot to get back.  I know it's not the proper method of navigation but it saved me a lot of lost time for now. 

The better way is through bookmarks. In your 'people and places' tab you can set bookmarks to places.

Find the place you want to go to - you can do this remotely via the map or via links to stations in mission explanations or chat for example.
Right click on it and choose bookmark location, if you're in the same system as it you can also right click in space, find the station from the list and bookmark it from there.
Go to People and Places which is near the top of your menu bar, just below your portrait and open the 'places' tab. You can plot a course to any of those bookmarks by right clicking and choosing 'set destination'. You can also delete any bookmarks you don't need anymore, organise them into subfolders or whatever.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 02, 2009, 01:33:42 PM

The better way is through bookmarks. In your 'people and places' tab you can set bookmarks to places.

Find the place you want to go to - you can do this remotely via the map or via links to stations in mission explanations or chat for example.
Right click on it and choose bookmark location, if you're in the same system as it you can also right click in space, find the station from the list and bookmark it from there.
Go to People and Places which is near the top of your menu bar, just below your portrait and open the 'places' tab. You can plot a course to any of those bookmarks by right clicking and choosing 'set destination'. You can also delete any bookmarks you don't need anymore, organise them into subfolders or whatever.

Bookmarks are crap to use for systems as it tends to get clogged up when you start using safespots and other shit. Granted you can take time move them all to seperate folders but if you clear your cache these get deleted. Personally I'd rather use the assets tab myself actually it's a fine way to navigate around the gaff. Like Rod here I try to move all my shit in to a handful of systems so it's not completely spammed with shit. Or I use the solar system search bar to find a system if I know the name.

Pax
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 02, 2009, 01:39:28 PM

Navigating via assets requires 2 clicks. People & Places opens Buddies by default, which makes it at least 3 clicks to find the right bookmark  Head scratch

Mia san de Borg. Aichan Widastaund keannt's aich ind' Hoar schmian.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 02, 2009, 01:43:32 PM

Aye Pax that's another good reason not to use them.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 02:06:45 PM by Amarr HM »

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #54 on: January 02, 2009, 01:55:41 PM

I actually like that method.  Any way you can possibly click "set destination" is good, and the assets window has the advantage of showing you the station that your stuff is in rather than having to remember the system name.

And you don't have to autopilot.  If you add stargates to your overview (you should) the next gate in your route will be highlighted yellow for an easier time locating it, especially in the more crowded Empire systems with tens of gates per system.

Witty banter not included.
Roentgen
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 03, 2009, 03:19:35 AM

Wait, why are MWDs crap now and ABs better?

The internet is a place where men are men, women are men, and little boys are the FBI.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 03, 2009, 04:01:21 AM

No, but AB's do have uses.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 03, 2009, 04:10:24 AM

Not really, MWD were just made crappier in the speed nerf.  But you still won't be ABing out of any bubbles.  Most setups live with the nerfs still use MWD.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #58 on: January 03, 2009, 06:29:16 AM

Not really, MWD were just made crappier in the speed nerf.  But you still won't be ABing out of any bubbles.  Most setups live with the nerfs still use MWD.

The much maligned, short-range warp scrambler now has a use in that it turns off the MWD of ships it's targetted on.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #59 on: January 03, 2009, 06:48:21 AM

Navigating via assets requires 2 clicks. People & Places opens Buddies by default, which makes it at least 3 clicks to find the right bookmark  Head scratch
Mine opens to the last opened tab which is usually 'places' for me. Also if you bookmark the station, it will appear in the right click menu when you are in system under 'your places' making it easier to find and warp to it without having to open your assets window first.

Additionally I'm a bit OCD about leaving stuff lying around. I like my shit to be consolidated as much as possible.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #60 on: January 03, 2009, 08:51:31 AM

The much maligned, short-range warp scrambler now has a use in that it turns off the MWD of ships it's targetted on.

Interesting.  Does it only do that now, or does it prevent warp as well?
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 03, 2009, 08:57:08 AM

Interesting.  Does it only do that now, or does it prevent warp as well?

Still puts 2 points of warp disruption on someone as well.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Rodivar
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 04, 2009, 03:23:28 PM

I'm not alone!!!!

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=13990.0

Serious question, why put up a recruiting thread  http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=15037.0   if by simply replying and having few post, you are suspected of being a SPY?

If I had made 50 asshat post on stupid topics would I be less likely to be a spy?

Anyway just some food for thought and thanks to those who have been so helpful both here and in game, very much appreciated. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 03:26:07 PM by Rodivar »
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: January 04, 2009, 04:10:16 PM

They're fucking with you dude.  ZOMG SPY! is a nearly ubiquitous Eve meme.

Sounds like something a spy would complain about to appear naive of in-game spying.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 04, 2009, 04:55:01 PM

If I had made 50 asshat post on stupid topics would I be less likely to be a spy?

Actually yes.  Though an old account has about the same weight.

Spying is very common and once anyone figures out how you operate your recruitment its pretty simple to get someone in.

So looking more closely at people with low posts and early join dates simply increases the costs of enemies getting spys in, which lowers the incidents of its happening.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 04, 2009, 05:09:16 PM

So I have a (I think) relevant question.

My EVE char is from 2004. Will that harm my chances of joining up with you guys? I think I've played 3 months total. Char name is Haerc, if you want to check the cops I've been in.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Rodivar
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 04, 2009, 05:30:44 PM

Sounds like something a spy would complain about to appear naive of in-game spying.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Well done!

Rodivar
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 04, 2009, 05:33:33 PM

Well  Played!

I'm actually just pointing how interesting this issue has become.  I could have not asked for a better reception in game for Yuri and Gagain, plenty of help both in advice and material, no complaints here!

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #68 on: January 04, 2009, 06:00:16 PM

I think it's a testament to how interesting the game is, that people find spies useful enough for there to be espionage and counter-espionage.  For example, in WoW the costs of death (especilaly PVP death) are so low that no one cares enough to spy.

Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 04, 2009, 06:00:54 PM

Char name is Haerc, if you want to check the cops I've been in.

Oh, shit.  Its the cops.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Viable/Valuable play style?  
Jump to: