Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:06:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 595489 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1855 on: February 01, 2016, 05:28:59 PM

Started Pandemic Legacy.  It's neat.  I dig it.  It's extremely well done.  The problem is that I'm just not in love with Pandemic as a base game.  I have a feeling I'll never want to see Pandemic again once I finish it up. 

Also played The Golden Ages.  It's good.  I like Civ games and this one is reasonably short and well done.  It's a straight up Euro style game with meeples and wooden cubes, so if that stuff bugs you I'd say avoid. 
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1856 on: February 03, 2016, 04:07:12 AM

Started Pandemic Legacy.  It's neat.  I dig it.  It's extremely well done.  The problem is that I'm just not in love with Pandemic as a base game.  I have a feeling I'll never want to see Pandemic again once I finish it up. 

Yeah, this is my feeling with Pandemic Legacy as well. It's a great experience, but I'm really jonesing for a Legacy game whose base systems I actually enjoy. Fortunately there are a few of them on the horizon. Most notably, Gloomhaven looks amazing. Non dice based dungeon delver with Legacy systems? Yes please.

I'm still pretty optimistic about Chronicles Origins and Seafall also, and I expect the genre is just going to blow up in the coming years.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1857 on: February 03, 2016, 04:49:38 AM

I have exactly one issue with pandemic legacy, and that is that it doesn't leave you with a unique playable game at the end of the process. Knowing I have unique playable risk legacy on the shelf is part of the appeal (even if I never actually play it).

That aside, PL is easily the best thing I played last year, board or video game.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1858 on: February 03, 2016, 05:32:51 PM

You have to like cooperative games though.  I like playing cooperative games with my kids, but with my friends I'd rather play something competitive. 

I think the "legacy" thing is going to wear itself out once people realize they have 5 or 6 games fhat they can't sell and can't replay.  And it won't improve already shitty games, of which there are a bunch.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1859 on: February 04, 2016, 12:14:15 AM

The can't sell thing is only an issue for the relatively small group of people who sell games. And anyone who sells games is almost certainly enough of a hobbyist that they should play Pandemic Legacy if for no other reason than historical interest. Also because it is that good. Split the cost with the group who will play it and you are talking less than a round of drinks each.

The co op point is fair, but is more than outweighed by the observation that there are so very few co ops that are good games at the basic level, as opposed to just being a mountain of little plastic men plus dice.

That said,

I agree legacy is much more interesting because it is unusual.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:16:33 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1860 on: February 04, 2016, 04:23:58 AM

I think quite a few people sell or trade games.  It's a very common activity on Boardgamegeek and within local groups.  I'm not referencing Pandemic, in particular, but more the legacy concept.  It will be like every other game fad that has run through the hobby-  deck building, dice building, cooperstive games, werewolf style games.  They will slap the Legacy mechanism on every piece of warm shit that game designers can come up with. 

Agree that Pandemic Legacy is good.  I don't know if it if is good enough to help someone who hates cooperative games and/or regular Pandemic get through the entire Legacy cycle. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1861 on: February 04, 2016, 07:21:33 AM

Well, if you hate co-op and/or Pandemic, why would you play it? As far as resale, if it's got base Pandemic, it's worth at least that much.

I'm considering it because 2 player co-op and my fiancee has a fetish for plagues.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1862 on: February 04, 2016, 10:07:38 AM

Everyone is going to play it.  It's the number one game on Boardgamegeek.

You should get it-  it's good.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1863 on: February 06, 2016, 10:13:07 AM

Pitched it to her last night. At first she started into her 'you barely ever play games' spiel, but when I told her it was about plagues she listened a bit.

Good enough for me, ordered a copy of Blue (her favorite color, gotta stack the deck).

Also should get in the rest of my Kingdom Death stuff (excluding the expansions, I think CNY laid the smack on Poots again) either today or tomorrow, depending on the whims of Fedex.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1864 on: February 07, 2016, 11:45:14 AM

Ironwood-  I can also recommend Quarriors for what you are looking for.  Just taught my 7 year old to play.  He loved it and picked it up pretty quickly. 
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #1865 on: February 09, 2016, 11:24:59 AM

Ironwood-  I can also recommend Quarriors for what you are looking for.  Just taught my 7 year old to play.  He loved it and picked it up pretty quickly. 

The dice masters game is also pretty similar along this line if one likes some other themes. I really liked quarriors my only main gripe against it is its level of randomness can be a bit high but that bothered my friend more than myself.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1866 on: February 09, 2016, 07:13:54 PM

The dice masters game is also pretty similar along this line if one likes some other themes. I really liked quarriors my only main gripe against it is its level of randomness can be a bit high but that bothered my friend more than myself.

The thing I like about Quarriors is the non-collectible, all inclusive nature of it.  Dice masters is certainly cool too. 
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1867 on: February 22, 2016, 01:56:55 PM

Pandemic Legacy underway.  It takes a very good game and makes it much better.  Get three of your friends and give it a try if you like cooperative games at all.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1868 on: February 29, 2016, 01:09:26 PM

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1869 on: February 29, 2016, 02:15:08 PM

Jealous. Wonder how long it'll take for the expansions to show up on the store.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:30:10 PM by Goldenmean »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1870 on: February 29, 2016, 02:43:08 PM

No idea. Started up the game I had left off when I broke my foot last autumn, first antelope hunt. Love how the feel of the game changes with a new monster. I decided to risk it before my first Nemesis event in the next lantern year (Butcher), and having the cat bow with cat arrow paid off big time. Also, the frenzied chick with the sword and double digit insanity didn't hurt things.

Quickly looked through the expansion books, each comes with a booklet with new rules. Some are minor, some change major functionality (and include new character sheets to use if you include it). Lots of new cards, both decks and gear/events. And of course a ridiculous pile of plastic mans.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1871 on: March 01, 2016, 12:52:02 PM

For the three people who don't know what I'm on about: http://techraptor.net/content/kingdom-death-monster-review-unparalleled
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1872 on: March 14, 2016, 05:10:08 PM

If, like me, you're one of those people who didn't actually kickstart Kingdom Death, but still want the expansions, they're up now on http://shop.kingdomdeath.com/ (with the exception of the Lantern Festival, which no one has, and the Spidicules expansion, which kickstarter backers have at this point, but isn't up for ordering yet). The whole batch will run you 800$. Whee!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1873 on: March 15, 2016, 06:25:56 AM

Since I never directly mentioned it, the picture I posted upthread is all the KD:M expansions except the Lantern Festival.

No Spidicules on the store because there was a packing mistake at the factory, seems almost everyone got either right or left legs.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1874 on: March 15, 2016, 08:46:20 AM

Been introduced to xwing minatures. I think this may be my perfect minatures game. No painting necessary, also really like how flexible the system is if you want to flex up or down complexity.

Not using upgrades makes it a really smooth gaateway game - but throw everything in there and theorycrafting isn't far off EVE levels.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1875 on: March 15, 2016, 10:43:02 AM

Yeah I'm very close to pulling the OCD collection mania for XWing and Armada for the same reasons.  Been resisting since launch.  Plus, TOYS.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1876 on: March 15, 2016, 03:15:50 PM

What is the cost like on XWing?  Are we talking thousands of dollars to get to the point you can play whatever you want or just hundreds?

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1877 on: March 15, 2016, 03:20:01 PM

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1878 on: March 15, 2016, 04:25:37 PM

What is the cost like on XWing?  Are we talking thousands of dollars to get to the point you can play whatever you want or just hundreds?

Roughly 10 dollars per model if you hunt for discounts. You need 3 to 6 models for a team.

To play competitively you also need to grab specific upgrade cards that will inevitably be packaged with models you don't want. This will drive you up into the low hundreds. But you do not need any of that shit for casual play, where it is trivial to print your own copies.

To have everything I imagine it costs something in the low thousands. But you need to ask yourself whether you genuinely need to be able to field something like a z95 pirate swarm as well as a TIE swarm as well as y wing swarm (you really don't).

I bought a dozen space ships. It gave me a handful of competitive lists for local serious business tourneys and more options than I will ever use for casual play. Further purchases will be made as and when I see anything too awesome for me not to own.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 04:02:00 AM by eldaec »

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1879 on: March 16, 2016, 09:49:02 AM

That is about like the Dungeons and Dragons Minis scene from the 2000s ... I spent ~200 bucks three times a year to build up an army of minis for DDM and D&D.  As I plan to play D&D for decades, it was worth the investment.  I've spent thousands on the games, but as I've likely spent less than $1 / hour of game play, I think it was worth the investment...

However, XWing seems like a game that will have an 8 to 12 year lifespan and then end up with all the minis going into boxes in attics across the nation.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1880 on: April 01, 2016, 04:38:55 AM

Hmm, ok couple of weeks later I now own about 30 spaceships, have 5 more on order and ffg have all my money.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1881 on: April 01, 2016, 05:42:16 AM

I regret nothing.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1882 on: April 04, 2016, 04:50:02 PM

So, this past weekend I joyfully attended the eight edition of "Play", the biggest boardgaming convention here in Italy (looks like the attendance was around 33,000 this year) that, coincidentially, takes place in my hometown awesome, for real

It's not Essen or GenCon, but hey, it runs for only two days :(.

Anyway, beside meeting Jason Matthews (Twilight Struggle), I haven't had the chance of trying anything beside "Bang! : The Duel" (very nice and smooth 2-player version of Bang), so I just kept observing tables here and there while my attention wandered between hot teenage cosplayers, Camarilla vampires and sweaty fighters in full plate trying to kill each other.
---------------

I wanted to purchase both Eldritch Horror and Mage Knight (lately I'm trying to look out for games that can also be played with official solo rules...unofficial variants often results in flawed and forced gameplay, but that's inevitable) but the italian versions are both undergoing a reprint, so I went for Mice & Mystics and Zombicide.

- Regarding M&M I'm in the middle of the first scenario(playing solo) and yes, I'm enoying it. Narrative is lovely and you start understanding the potential and the decent variation once you get to the first "sidequest". Still, IMO tactical combat and some movement rules are unnecessarily clunky and the rulebook is a bit sparse (so you have to rely on the FAQs).

- Zombicide: still have to try it out; opened the (BIG) box, got scared about all those frail miniatures in those inserts then proceeded to close the box again  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1883 on: April 04, 2016, 04:57:56 PM

Zombicide's plastic is pretty robust. Did you get the 1st season core box? If you like it, there's a ton of content for it. The newest variant, Black Plague (medieval setting) cleans up the rules quite a bit. Check out the website for free scenarios, rules updates, etc.

https://zombicide.com/it/

Also have a bunch of painted stuff from the 1st season on my website. Search function isn't great, as 'zombicide' gives you all the work in progress stuff and the 'completed' category is everything I finish :)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1884 on: April 04, 2016, 05:12:01 PM

Zombicide's plastic is pretty robust. Did you get the 1st season core box? If you like it, there's a ton of content for it. The newest variant, Black Plague (medieval setting) cleans up the rules quite a bit. Check out the website for free scenarios, rules updates, etc.

https://zombicide.com/it/

Also have a bunch of painted stuff from the 1st season on my website. Search function isn't great, as 'zombicide' gives you all the work in progress stuff and the 'completed' category is everything I finish :)

Yes, I purchased the "first season" and if I like it I'm definitely going to buy the others.  The extra stuff (extra character miniatures, dogs, storage boxes) is tempting, but also very pricey when you start to add up (just like the LCG model).

On the other hand, I might start to take some lessons on miniature painting. I'm a disgrace when it comes to art or manual coordination, but I always wanted to take a chance at that.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:14:56 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1885 on: April 04, 2016, 05:25:16 PM

I played Die Macher the other day, quite good!
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1886 on: April 04, 2016, 06:35:40 PM

I played Die Macher the other day, quite good!

That's one of those games that I was really excited to hear was getting a reprint, promptly purchased it, and now years later have resigned myself to never actually seeing on the table because it's so hard to sell people on the theme.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1887 on: April 06, 2016, 08:42:38 AM

Steamforged games announced on FB they have cut a deal with Bandai to make a Dark Souls board game.

I met them at Reapercon '14 between the Guildball KS and release and regretted not backing as the game was pretty well-received there. Not sure what that portends for the DS game, but it something to put on the radar.

Kickstarter  Ohhhhh, I see. this month.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1888 on: April 06, 2016, 08:51:04 AM

In mundane boardgame Kickstarter news:

Tokaido may actually be shipping soon - 1 year and 5 months late.
Ascension: Whatever Edition - Still no news. 2 years and 5 months late.
Millenium Blades - 3 months late

I've all but stopped putting money into Kickstarter board game projects simply because neckbeards make for terrible business people.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1889 on: April 06, 2016, 05:09:44 PM

I got the two Monikers expansions from their latest kickstarter. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes that party game.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: