Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:20:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1121675 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1610 on: June 28, 2012, 02:55:11 PM

On rewatch i just noticed that Tyrion is whistling the rains of Castamere on the first episode of season 2 as he walks in the small council meeting.  That's awesome.

I am the .00000001428%
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1611 on: July 13, 2012, 07:46:05 PM

Video of some of the new cast members for season 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpSDSgChsaI
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1612 on: July 13, 2012, 09:17:24 PM

Diana Rigg as Olenna is just a really odd bit of casting.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1613 on: July 13, 2012, 10:29:29 PM

I don't think so at all. That's how I would have cast her.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1614 on: July 14, 2012, 12:09:13 AM

Gareth from the Office  awesome, for real
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1615 on: July 16, 2012, 05:46:07 PM

As a woman far too tall and somewhat too young?

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1616 on: July 16, 2012, 10:27:02 PM

As a woman far too tall and somewhat too young?

I don't know about her height but from this 2006 photo it looks like they won't have much trouble making her look old enough. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Rigg'

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1617 on: July 17, 2012, 06:22:27 AM

Maggie Smith would have been the perfect choice.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1618 on: July 17, 2012, 08:54:25 PM

Who the heck is Orell? That guy looks like a Vargo Hoat or maybe a Ramsay Snow to me.

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1619 on: July 17, 2012, 09:12:38 PM

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1620 on: July 17, 2012, 10:45:16 PM

Ya kind of curious to see how he's going to make an appearance in season 3. Would have thought they'd just skip him seeing as he should, as you say, be dead by now.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1621 on: July 17, 2012, 10:49:13 PM

Possibly he will be replacing Varamyr since it is probably cheaper to have a trained eagle for a few episodes than Varamyr's stable of animals.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1622 on: August 10, 2012, 03:03:59 AM

Tight security as top TV series is filmed at Gosford Park

GOSFORD Castle will feature heavily in the third series of the hit television show Game of Thrones.
Filming at the castle and the surrounding forest started last Tuesday and continued well into the weekend.
But only a few lucky members of the public were able to catch a glimpse of the cast as a blanket of security descended upon the immediate area.

Dozens of lorries took up car parks throughout Gosford while numerous cameras have been placed on and around the castle.
And this isn't the first time that Gosford has featured in Game of Thrones following a brief appearance in season two.
As well as that staging was set up in the picturesque gardens while scenes were also shot deep within the forest.

The return of Game of Thrones has been greeted with plenty of excitement from local fans of the show. But as well as that, fans have travelled from across Northern Ireland in a bid to catch a glimpse of the action.
But a veil of secrecy has been placed on everyone involved in the show, from lead actors, extras and production staff.

The show, based on the books by George R R Martin and brought to the screens by Home Box Office (HBO), has reached phenomenal levels amongst fans worldwide.
While little secret has been made that the show is mainly based in Northern Ireland, the exact whereabouts of filming has remained a tight-lipped secret.
But what is known is that, given filming has been continuing for almost a week, the Co Armagh landmark is set to play a key role in the latest season of the show.
However, for those avid fans of the show, it is believed that Gosford will will be the setting for Riverrun - the seat of the House of Tilly.

The pilot programme and the first two series attracted funding of £6m from Invest NI, but that money has been shown to have brought in £40m to the Northern Irish economy. And another £3.2m of public money will go towards the series currently being filmed.

The third season of Game of Thrones is due to hit the television screens in March next year.

So odd this, we used to walk round Gosford Castle nearly every weekend.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1623 on: August 20, 2012, 09:43:16 AM

Ciaran fucking Hinds cast as Mance Rayder.  A bit old for the part but a great actor non the less.

I am the .00000001428%
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1624 on: August 20, 2012, 04:30:52 PM

Osha fans might want to check out Tonight You're Mine. I saw it the other night and it was quite a fun movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1672845/ Also known as You Instead according to IMDB.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1625 on: November 14, 2012, 01:47:53 PM

Jesus, this fell off the first page  ACK!

Back up you go.  Season 3 starts 3/31/13.  BE THERE!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1626 on: November 14, 2012, 06:59:52 PM

That's four and a half months away, well after the birthday I'm in denial about. Might as well be talking about the release date of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit lol... oh, wait.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1627 on: November 16, 2012, 07:03:38 AM

My wife will be 9 mos pregnant then.  Hard to imagine.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1628 on: December 19, 2012, 10:29:49 AM

Looks like the third season's episodes will be a few minutes longer each.  Yay. Heart
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/19/showbiz/tv/game-of-thrones-season-three/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #1629 on: January 17, 2013, 09:44:19 PM

Apologies in advance for the de-rail...

So when I finished watching series 1 I started on the books - got sidetracked by 6 months of study and am now finishing ADWD.  To sate me for 2 months until season 3 comes out; can any of you recommend a good series of fantasy/high-fantasy books which I can purchase and start?  My only requirement is that it needs to be more than 2-3 books long; I've read WoT and Malazan already.

Also going back to page 46 of this thread:

Also the actor cast as Missandei is AMAZING  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

*Should be working*
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1630 on: January 17, 2013, 10:59:55 PM

I'm not sure Cook qualifies as high fantasy, but you could look at either his Dread Empire or Black Company series.  Sanderson's Mistborn series.  Wheel of Time.  I think Feist's Magician series goes on longer than the 2 I read (didn't care for it).

Sorry, I got nothing exotic. 

-Rasix
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1631 on: January 18, 2013, 05:49:59 AM

Apologies in advance for the de-rail...

So when I finished watching series 1 I started on the books - got sidetracked by 6 months of study and am now finishing ADWD.  To sate me for 2 months until season 3 comes out; can any of you recommend a good series of fantasy/high-fantasy books which I can purchase and start?  My only requirement is that it needs to be more than 2-3 books long; I've read WoT and Malazan already.

Also going back to page 46 of this thread:

Also the actor cast as Missandei is AMAZING  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

First six books of the Thomas Covenant if you haven't read those.  I have a soft spot for Tad Williams and his Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1632 on: January 18, 2013, 07:33:45 AM

I've had those books for nearly 15 years now and I still haven't made it past the first one.  Something about it simply bores me to tears, even though it's better written than Jordan's books.  The whole storyline just feels ponderous.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1633 on: January 18, 2013, 10:36:48 AM

I've had those books for nearly 15 years now and I still haven't made it past the first one.  Something about it simply bores me to tears, even though it's better written than Jordan's books.  The whole storyline just feels ponderous.

That's basically the issue with Williams summed up right there. He obviously loves the English language, which is a bonus. The problem is his sense of pacing is shit.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1634 on: January 18, 2013, 10:43:56 AM

I saw an interview with GRRM not so long ago which firmly hinted that this season goes as far into book 3 as the 2 *HOLY SHIT* events in Kings Landing and in the other place, which, given they are three quarters of the way through SoS, means covering a ton of ground in ten episodes - possibly too much.

That said, if they get there in one piece then retiming the two events to happen simultaneously in the final episode could be a hell of a way to go out.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1635 on: January 18, 2013, 11:11:46 AM

You also have to remember that the last season had a few bits that weren't covered until book 3 and a number of chapters of book 3 were people wandering around in the rain.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1636 on: January 18, 2013, 12:25:57 PM

I'm not sure Cook qualifies as high fantasy, but you could look at either his Dread Empire or Black Company series.  Sanderson's Mistborn series.  Wheel of Time.  I think Feist's Magician series goes on longer than the 2 I read (didn't care for it).

To sate me for 2 months

C'mon man.  Don't be mean.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1637 on: January 18, 2013, 01:16:00 PM

Here is a secret.  You don't have to read every word.  Most of us on these forums can skim/read quite well, I imagine.  Adapt to ponderous prose.

I have never played WoW.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1638 on: January 18, 2013, 04:17:12 PM

Read the first three Covenant books after high school and The Lord of the Rings.  Fantasy took a dark turn there.  Overall they were good but that writer really likes rape-rape and it really stained the trilogy to me. 

Looking forward to GoT:3
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1639 on: January 18, 2013, 09:45:56 PM

I couldn't get through Memory, Sorrow and Thorn either, despite loving Williams' Otherland series to death. L. E. Modesitt's Recluse saga is pretty good fantasy, although each book is sort of stand alone set at different places/times in the same universe rather than a linear narrative.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1640 on: January 18, 2013, 11:27:15 PM

To sate me for 2 months

C'mon man.  Don't be mean.

He could be unemployed or something.

-Rasix
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1641 on: January 19, 2013, 07:11:12 AM

You also have to remember that the last season had a few bits that weren't covered until book 3 and a number of chapters of book 3 were people wandering around in the rain.

And thinking about it, they can stretch events north of the wall, I'd probably end the season with the arrival at Queenscrown or possibly even the climbing bit. In the book the characters in the far north seemed to be racing through their arcs far faster than anyone else, letting that phase of Jon's story remain open till season 4 would help it seem more believable that he develops as much as he does.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1642 on: January 19, 2013, 12:11:19 PM

The Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.  You are welcome.

I am the .00000001428%
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #1643 on: January 20, 2013, 03:03:25 PM

I'm not sure Cook qualifies as high fantasy, but you could look at either his Dread Empire or Black Company series.  Sanderson's Mistborn series.  Wheel of Time. I think Feist's Magician series goes on longer than the 2 I read (didn't care for it).

To sate me for 2 months

C'mon man.  Don't be mean.

He could be unemployed or something.

Hah I'm going to get Memory of Light from a mate and finish off the series; have read the rest.

Also I have an hour each way commute to work and usually read for 30 minutes before bed, so I take the view that anything less than a trilogy isn't big enough to get me involved.  awesome, for real

Edit: Thanks for the suggestions all!  I really gotta change my profile pic, it's even more annoying than Threash's  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

*Should be working*
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1644 on: January 20, 2013, 03:46:36 PM

I couldn't get through Memory, Sorrow and Thorn either, despite loving Williams' Otherland series to death. L. E. Modesitt's Recluse saga is pretty good fantasy, although each book is sort of stand alone set at different places/times in the same universe rather than a linear narrative.

My feeling about those two series is the exact opposite; liked MS&T quite a lot, but Otherland was a boring slog.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: