Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:38:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Counter Strike: Global Offensive 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Counter Strike: Global Offensive  (Read 3650 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

on: August 12, 2011, 02:00:48 PM

Valve announces a new Counter Strike game:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/6059/

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO).

Targeted for release via Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, and Steam (for PC and Mac) in early 2012, CS: GO will expand upon the team-based action gameplay that it pioneered when it was launched exactly 12 years ago (CS beta 1, August 1999).

CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.

Some Early reflections from a hands on:
http://www.eseanews.com/index.php?s=news&d=comments&id=9969

Perhaps poetically, the first map we jumped into was de_dust, a map remains a sacred cow and the face of classic Counter-Strike and that at lunch Jess warned us was overhauled to become competitively played. My first impression was "WOW". I was surprised at how visually polished the game was. The maps look beautiful, the player skins and animations are smooth, and the gun models are cool! We got to play dust, dust2, inferno, and nuke with confirmation that other CS classic maps such as train and likely some new ones will be included in the release. Visually, the game looked a lot further along than pre-beta. Any new version of CS is going to have to look aesthetically beautiful for e-sports fans and spectators.

We've all seen and played pretty looking games before, but hands down and unanimously, everyone was most interested in the movement, weapon handling, and game play. It didn't feel like 1.6 and despite being built on the Source engine, it didn't feel like CSS. By design, Valve wanted to create a game with a different feel, and overall it was really smooth. The pro players seemed surprisingly happy with the player player movement and feel of the game but thankfully they weren't short of feedback and most weren't shy to share it. Tweaks and adjustments are needed, but in my opinion, it was a great sign that it didn't grossly offend anyone. Player movement is arguably one of the most important elements of any FPS game and I applaud Valve for the decision to create a new feel that both 1.6 and CSS players can hopefully each enjoy.

The weapons were one of the areas that in the group's opinions still needs the most work. Valve wanted to create a more balanced weapon system that would expand beyond the main four weapons (AWP, M4, AK, and Deagle). They wanted shotguns and sub machine guns to have situational value and so they really took some "creative liberties". They wanted sub machine guns to be good mid-distance alternatives and for shotguns to provide a unique close range use. The AK and M4 rifles felt weak and inaccurate while sub machines like the P90 were overpowered and soon became the weapon of choice during some casual pugs. Many pro players voiced concerns about the spray control and recoil patters, feeling that it was too easy and simple, and unanimously felt that the first three bullets of the M4 and AK in particular were too inaccurate, which took out the art and skill of "tapping". In the pro players' points of view, headshots were difficult to score and came at a premium - another area that needs tweaking. The developers eagerly listened to feedback, prying for explanations and more information to improve. They informed us that the game is built to have adjustable weapon variables and made it seem that everything the group was pointing out could presumably be tweaked based on our feedback before launch and even before beta. I think it was put best when some pros suggested that instead of tweaking the M4 and AK to make the other guns more balanced, they instead should remain untouched from 1.6 / CSS and the other weapons should instead be tweaked to provide purpose.

I spent a lot of time playing CS over the years, so my interest in piqued.  The CS:S community is really terrible which gives me pause, but we'll see where this one goes.  I think the fact that it is being released on consoles as well is a bad sign, but oh well.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 03:40:58 PM

What CS needs is more movement dynamics - sprints, dives and rolls, prone position to snipe, weapon setup (P90 AWP). CS can also use injury system, getting shot in the foot should slow you down, arm should make you less accurate.  More destructible areas and furniture.

More eye candy is not going to improve game play and will not attract people to it.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 04:37:25 PM

I hate the stupid hit detection in CS:S, shots going to all sorts of crazy places with seemingly no way to properly compensate.

I am playing as a veteran CT operative - if I am crouching and aiming, at least my first shot should be pretty dead-on accurate.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 05:42:16 PM

My only response to Valve making another Counter-Strike is where is Half-Life Episode 3?  why so serious?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:18:09 PM

My only response to Valve making another Counter-Strike is where is Half-Life Episode 3?  why so serious?

Well Gabe Newell has said on several occasions that they feel like episodic content was a failure.  My guess is Half Life 3 is well under development and episode 3 story has been folded into it.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 01:45:21 AM

awesome, for real

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 05:11:59 AM

If you don't buy enough hats then the terrorists win.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 05:16:05 AM

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 03:31:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYEyIGLRqW0

Anyone remember this stuff?  I could never bunny hop this good in source.
Strazos

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 10:32:47 PM

And that all shows the terrible hit detection that made me rage...either that, or an aimbot.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 04:15:55 AM

MEMORY STREAM OVERLOADING
FAILING

Jesus fucking christ, Counter-Strike.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 05:24:16 AM

And that all shows the terrible hit detection that made me rage...either that, or an aimbot.
Its actually the opposite, the hit box detection is too good, any stray bullet causes a head shot making "center of mass" shooting very noobish. You don't need a aimbot to be at that level of skill(especially when the game says that anything in the general direction of the head is a headshot) you must don't like fps much. 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 05:39:41 AM

Its actually the opposite, the hit box detection is too good, any stray bullet causes a head shot making "center of mass" shooting very noobish. You don't need a aimbot to be at that level of skill(especially when the game says that anything in the general direction of the head is a headshot) you must don't like fps much. 

Too good?  CS:S has a lot of really wonky shit in aiming, not the last of which that the hitboxes didn't always line up with the body right.  The AK also has a lot of kick, to the point where if you were aiming quite low, the 3 or 4th bullet would be a likely headshot.

In any event, I've seen aimbots in CS:S and that didn't look like one to me.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 08:20:00 AM

Personally, CS is low on my list of fun FPS's. My memories of it were nothing but unseen head shots, bunny hopping, hacking with the added flavor of insults.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Strazos

Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 09:29:52 AM

you must don't like fps much. 

Actually I rather like the genre, in general. I just prefer the shooting physics to be reasonably predictable. Hit scan, bullet trajectory, gun climb, all fine. CS's goofy system of bullets straying in random directions irrespective of gun position just drove me nuts...that, and the trailing hit boxes.

Fear the Backstab!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 10:07:19 AM

The fuck? How is it too good if any shot in the direction of the head is a headshot? Many times in the video the guy shot nowhere near the head and it was a headshot. I couldn't figure out why that was, but I'm assuming it had to do with the bunny hopping and shitty hit detection.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 10:34:48 AM

PC FPSes like CS use server-side hit detection. What you see on the client is not always what the server sees because of latency issues.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 11:00:27 AM

The fuck? How is it too good if any shot in the direction of the head is a headshot? Many times in the video the guy shot nowhere near the head and it was a headshot. I couldn't figure out why that was, but I'm assuming it had to do with the bunny hopping and shitty hit detection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xNe7LuQ4OI
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 01:24:54 PM

No wonder hopping is so effective. Looks like they are using the hitboxes as a form of leading prediction.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 02:11:12 PM

Is this supposed to be a competitive game?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 02:14:23 PM

Too good?  CS:S has a lot of really wonky shit in aiming, not the last of which that the hitboxes didn't always line up with the body right.  The AK also has a lot of kick, to the point where if you were aiming quite low, the 3 or 4th bullet would be a likely headshot.

I never said he was pro, just said that he was good by CS:S standards because of the way the psychics work together with latency. I would say a system where 3 bullets from any automatic rifle or submachinegun = a head shot would be far more accurate and limit a lot of lolz headshot!, that and making pistols and no scoping with a sniper rifle far less accurate at certain ranges.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 02:18:14 PM

I never said he was pro, just said that he was good by CS:S standards because of the way the psychics work together with latency. I would say a system where 3 bullets from any automatic rifle or submachinegun = a head shot would be far more accurate and limit a lot of lolz headshot!, that and making pistols and no scoping with a sniper rifle far less accurate at certain ranges.

I wasn't commenting on his skill, but rather on your comment that the hit detection is too good.  I think the hit detection in CS:S is pretty demonstrably bad.  I mean if you learned the ins and outs of it you could take advantage of it - it was consistent - but it wasn't really very good.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 03:56:57 PM

Its more a system of small maps make bullets travel near instantlly with no dropping.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 04:17:20 PM

Its more a system of small maps make bullets travel near instantlly with no dropping.

What the hell are you even talking about now?
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 04:20:11 PM

I like Gabe's sense of humor.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 04:46:22 PM

What the hell are you even talking about now?

Does it matter?  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 05:08:18 PM

Hey, man, at least he's consistently incoherent across forums.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 03:32:33 PM

Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 04:12:01 PM

Since my favorite TF2 server was fuck sticked by F2P this is looking better and better.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 04:44:16 PM

Not very interested. I did expect more shiny though.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 06:49:58 PM

Not very interested. I did expect more shiny though.

I expected more shiney as well.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Counter Strike: Global Offensive  
Jump to: