Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 08:41:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Little Peeves 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Little Peeves  (Read 156964 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: January 30, 2012, 10:29:04 AM

The hybrid tax is fuckstupid, old, bad design. All DPS-specced classes (regardless of if they can respec tank/healer) should do comparable damage, period.

I'm saying that there's no point in a pure dps class in this game.  I feel that every class should be able to fill at least two possible group roles.   

Better?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:31:14 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: January 30, 2012, 10:30:36 AM

That's a disappointment from the pre-release hype when DE was showing off Tatooine and the system in place was customization kits that changed the spec of your companion (healer kit/dps kit etc).
Out of curiosity, did they ever say why they changed from that to what they launched with?

This supposedly lets them customize the companion abilities more. Though the only one where that really seems to be different is Dr. Lokton or whatever his name is.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: January 30, 2012, 10:31:32 AM

Peeve: I am always one planet ahead in terms of level.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: January 30, 2012, 10:45:24 AM

That's a disappointment from the pre-release hype when DE was showing off Tatooine and the system in place was customization kits that changed the spec of your companion (healer kit/dps kit etc).
Out of curiosity, did they ever say why they changed from that to what they launched with?

This supposedly lets them customize the companion abilities more. Though the only one where that really seems to be different is Dr. Lokton or whatever his name is.
That seems like a pretty poor exchange from the players perspective  Ohhhhh, I see.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: January 30, 2012, 10:54:03 AM

If I could switch Kira to a healing Sage rather than the... whateverthefuck spec she is now (Shadow-something? But she's officially a 'Jedi Knight' now... so... wat?) I would actually use her. And then the whole relationship thing might actually work, instead of just having weird interludes on my ship or when I'm forced to use her for storyline purposes. Because right now, all things being equal, I ought to be banging T7.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: January 30, 2012, 10:55:54 AM

As a sniper, Dr. Lokken is the only companion that even matters.  Once I hit 40, I never even bothered with the rest.  I see this as a bigger issue with the game.  The only reason for the other companions is to run missions.  Meh.   Give me a reason to use other companions.  Please!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: January 30, 2012, 11:06:34 AM

I wish I could use M1-4X (the robot) on my vanguard, but since I'm a tank I have no choice but to use Elara Dorne 100% of the time. On my sage I'm cool with using the melee companion, but it's really annoying that I got it at the end of Belsavis, so there was only 2 planets' worth of content left. (ilum doesn't count... for anything. Especially daily quests and/or pvp. h8!)

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #462 on: January 30, 2012, 11:08:51 AM

As a Vanguard Trooper I hardly ever used anyone other than Jorgan. I used Dorne (the healer) for some odd quest elites/champs who would just stomp me flat for some reason, and when I had heroic groups with no healer. I did notice that even with equivalent gear Jorgan owned Yuun on damage and effectiveness due to the advantage Jorgan has of being able to hit tons of enemies with AOE and instantly acquire new targets.

I'm on Voss now, and I figured I'd try Yuun out for the hell of it and semi-RPish reasons. Voss is an awkward diplomacy battle over a species with an unusual culture, Yuun digs weird/new cultures.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:10:34 AM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #463 on: January 30, 2012, 11:12:08 AM

I actually skipped ahead to Nar Shad on my gunslinger, by passing Taris altogether to grab the wookie. It was actually pretty enjoyable - fights were rough, but it felt more meaningful. Of course, getting the wookie and having to go back to Taris is clownshoes now. (And I really dislike the gunslinger anyway, so I don't even play him anymore)

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #464 on: January 30, 2012, 11:13:08 AM

As a Vanguard Trooper I hardly ever used anyone other than Jorgan. I used Dorne (the healer) for some odd quest elites/champs who would just stomp me flat for some reason, and when I had heroic groups with no healer. I did notice that even with equivalent gear Jorgan owned Yuun on damage and effectiveness due to the advantage Jorgan has of being able to hit tons of enemies with AOE and instantly acquire new targets.

I'm on Voss now, and I figured I'd try Yuun out for the hell of it and semi-RPish reasons. Voss is an awkward diplomacy battle over a species with an unusual culture, Yuun digs weird/new cultures.

That should end well...  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: January 30, 2012, 11:49:22 AM

As a sniper, Dr. Lokken is the only companion that even matters.  Once I hit 40, I never even bothered with the rest.  I see this as a bigger issue with the game.  The only reason for the other companions is to run missions.  Meh.   Give me a reason to use other companions.  Please!

Oddly, the only characters I feel I can swap companions out on are.. healers. Because that's the one role that MUST be present. My scoundrel can happily sub in a tank companion, or usually runs with any option of DPS companion (why are there so many DPS companions, but not say a dps/healer hybrid that heals less than the main healer, or something?)

This also makes the companion system seem slightly more flawed in that I can usually only run with one companion regularly, because ::gear::. Sure, I can afford to sub out to my tank or my alternate better fit for the quest line plot DPS, but they're probably going to be about half as effect as Risha because when you get companion quest gear you can only pick it for one companion.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #466 on: January 30, 2012, 11:51:51 AM

Yeah that's a bit of a complaint for me too - I wish they'd just gear the companions all up at the baseline green rate, a la Guild Wars.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #467 on: January 30, 2012, 12:16:18 PM

Shouldn't even really be an option. You should get the choice off commendation, lockbox PLUS a bit of gear for each companion, though I have no idea how the hell that would work without stuffing your inventory and creating even more inventory issues. I like that you can gear them BETTER than the default quest stuff, but not that it doesn't automagically update the default quest stuff.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: January 30, 2012, 12:16:46 PM

I actually skipped ahead to Nar Shad on my gunslinger, by passing Taris altogether to grab the wookie. It was actually pretty enjoyable - fights were rough, but it felt more meaningful. Of course, getting the wookie and having to go back to Taris is clownshoes now. (And I really dislike the gunslinger anyway, so I don't even play him anymore)

I have skipped 2 planets with exception of the main storyline already.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: January 30, 2012, 01:04:47 PM

Oddly, the only characters I feel I can swap companions out on are.. healers. Because that's the one role that MUST be present. My scoundrel can happily sub in a tank companion, or usually runs with any option of DPS companion (why are there so many DPS companions, but not say a dps/healer hybrid that heals less than the main healer, or something?)

This also makes the companion system seem slightly more flawed in that I can usually only run with one companion regularly, because ::gear::. Sure, I can afford to sub out to my tank or my alternate better fit for the quest line plot DPS, but they're probably going to be about half as effect as Risha because when you get companion quest gear you can only pick it for one companion.

Speaking of companion gear, how do you guys handle loot rolls in FPs? I won't roll need on anything that my char won't use right away, but I have run into a few people that will roll need on gear for their companions. I'm ok with that, but would prefer to know that up front so I can also roll on the things that Mako or Blizz can use.

Guild groups it's no issue, PUGs have been all over the place on it so far.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #470 on: January 30, 2012, 01:16:22 PM

I'm fine with rolling need for companions if it's not taking away from the person who is actually running the dungeon. Like, don't shaft your healer by rolling on his healing gear. That's bad form.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: January 30, 2012, 01:20:06 PM

Speaking of companion gear, how do you guys handle loot rolls in FPs? I won't roll need on anything that my char won't use right away, but I have run into a few people that will roll need on gear for their companions. I'm ok with that, but would prefer to know that up front so I can also roll on the things that Mako or Blizz can use.

Guild groups it's no issue, PUGs have been all over the place on it so far.

Oh god, Slap loot rolls are going to time out even more now. "Well, I don't need it much" "I don't really need it either!" "what about your companions?" "Well it's only one more.."*SMASH*
Raknor
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: January 30, 2012, 01:47:35 PM

I'm fine with rolling need for companions if it's not taking away from the person who is actually running the dungeon. Like, don't shaft your healer by rolling on his healing gear. That's bad form.

Same for our guild runs. If no one needs we usually say "companion need" and everyone rolls for it with the unwritten rule that we only try and gear one (your main) companion. I'm sure this will change in a few months when everyone has more opportunity to get more loot. Also a few of the tanks are putting together DPS sets with the expectation that dual spec will be coming. Again though, real person need > companions.

As with some of the conversations on here. Everyone seems to have a favorite companion that they use almost exclusively once they hit 50 for soloing.  The rest seem to ride the bench.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #473 on: January 30, 2012, 02:02:34 PM

This has totally been the case for me as well. My commando has used all of his companions a fair amount (although I need to upgrade Aric's gear, he's falling too far behind now), because he can heal them fine provided they're not in 100% shit gear. I'm sure the case would've been the same with my sage, had I been soloing her. It makes me regret all the more picking up gunslinger instead of scoundrel, to be honest, because fuck soloing as a gunslinger. And she's level 29 with a high investigation/arms skill (woo selling techblades), so I am reluctant to reroll her. Bleh.

On the other hand, my tank-spec assassin was better than I expected without his healer (the healer shows up on Hoth). It was sort of rough with Khem, but once he got a DPS companion, things picked up considerably.

God Save the Horn Players
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: January 30, 2012, 02:52:06 PM

New addition: I currently see no reason (beyond aesthetic pleasure) to play a pure dps class (i.e. sniper/gunslinger or marauder/sentinel).  They don't do any more dps than a more versitile class can in their dps spec.  In many cases, they do less.  WTF is up with that... pure dps classes do lower dps than hybrids.  Nice.

I'm waiting for that epiphany moment playing my Sentinel, where everything falls into place and I actually feel like I'm playing a badass, capable Jedi. Because as fun as it is to play, he is unquestionably my weakest character in any given combat situation. My Trooper Vanguard tank can eradicate groups of mobs around 4x faster. I've yet to face a boss alone with said Trooper (as he's part of a Gunslinger/Vanguard duo) but I suspect he'd have an easier time at that. I got my healer companion (Elarna Dorne) at L22, and things literally became laughably easy. My Sentinel still doesn't have any means of healing the regular unholy beatings he receives besides medpacks at 36. There is no balance. At all.

Supposedly both Knights come into their own in the 40s, and not only because of the healer.  I've heard they're late blooming ACs, even moreso than Shadows.

Over and out.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: January 30, 2012, 02:56:20 PM

New addition: I currently see no reason (beyond aesthetic pleasure) to play a pure dps class (i.e. sniper/gunslinger or marauder/sentinel).  They don't do any more dps than a more versitile class can in their dps spec.  In many cases, they do less.  WTF is up with that... pure dps classes do lower dps than hybrids.  Nice.
The hybrid tax is fuckstupid, old, bad design. All DPS-specced classes (regardless of if they can respec tank/healer) should do comparable damage, period.

What they should have done was give the pure DPS ACs the most utility stuff, like mezzes and such.  But for some bizarre reason they didn't.  Clearly it's the Sage/Sorcerer that needed the instant 3 mob sleep!  awesome, for real

Over and out.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: January 30, 2012, 03:00:43 PM

Meh, it's only AE on those shitty trash mobs anyways.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: January 30, 2012, 03:04:24 PM

New addition: I currently see no reason (beyond aesthetic pleasure) to play a pure dps class (i.e. sniper/gunslinger or marauder/sentinel).  They don't do any more dps than a more versitile class can in their dps spec.  In many cases, they do less.  WTF is up with that... pure dps classes do lower dps than hybrids.  Nice.

What they should have done was give the pure DPS ACs the most utility stuff, like mezzes and such.  But for some bizarre reason they didn't.  Clearly it's the Sage/Sorcerer that needed the instant 3 mob sleep!  awesome, for real

I have a (relatively) instant multi mob sleep on my gunslinger?

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #478 on: January 30, 2012, 03:06:23 PM

Oddly, the only characters I feel I can swap companions out on are.. healers. Because that's the one role that MUST be present.
I found that completely not the case when playing the shadow -- granted, i've set her as a mix of tank/dps with a rather unorthodox talent point allocation, but all way to 50 i could (and did) freely swap companions and go through the context with whoever i felt like. My healer was in fact rarely out because it was just faster to roll with more dps heavy pairing.

It seems keeping the companion gear up to date is quite more crucial to effective performance than what role they perform. (and by that i mean just on level greens for the most part. These are on par stats-wise with companion gear quest rewards, which means you can have everyone easily up to date without relying on those rewards)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:10:12 PM by tmp »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: January 30, 2012, 03:27:07 PM

I have a (relatively) instant multi mob sleep on my gunslinger?

Are you asking me or telling me?  My gunslinger doesn't have that yet.  Of course, I can't really decide between Sharpshooter or Saboteur.  I keep wavering back and forth.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: January 30, 2012, 03:32:29 PM

I am pretty sure I got flash grenade before I even picked my AC.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #481 on: January 30, 2012, 03:34:07 PM

Flash grenade is baseline, my operative has whatever the equivilent is, has for a while, and he's level 21 or something. Kalah also has it as a gunslinger, and she's 29.

Shadows and assassins get space sap.

EDIT: Oh, and there's the weird droid-only mez smugglers/IAs get.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #482 on: January 30, 2012, 03:36:07 PM

I think my scoundrel just got a single target non-droid mez at 20.

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #483 on: January 30, 2012, 03:39:31 PM

Yeah, thinking about it, my IA got what I think you're talking about. SLEEP DART. Which is also space sap.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #484 on: January 30, 2012, 03:40:50 PM

Yah, but I bet you don't punch stuff as hard as I do. 

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #485 on: January 30, 2012, 03:43:04 PM

I almost certainly do not. I prefer knifing people.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: January 30, 2012, 03:43:54 PM

I am pretty sure I got flash grenade before I even picked my AC.

Oh, that only lasts 8 seconds though.  The talented Sorc/Sage one lasts a full 60.

And for single target, I'm pretty sure everyone but Knights/Warriors gets one of those?  Not sure about Vanguards/PTs.  It was the instant multiple mob one that boggled my mind when I saw it on my Sorc's talent list.  Even if it the extras only affects standard mobs, you don't think that would help a squishy class with no tanking or heal capabilities of its own?

Over and out.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #487 on: January 30, 2012, 03:47:45 PM

The talented sorc/sage one also requires not being a healer, doesn't it? My sage doesn't have the "instant" part, as you would have to be pants crapping insane to not take the top seer talent (as a healer, obvs). The AE part only affects the little shitty dudes, which is nice solo but not exciting in the least in a group as you're either fighting stuff immune to the talent or facerolling the little dudes anyway, so why bother. I took that talent for the shorter cooldown on the stun, personally.  why so serious?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: January 30, 2012, 03:49:01 PM

Yeah you have to go 17 points into Madness/Balance to get it to be instant.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #489 on: January 30, 2012, 04:06:06 PM

I've heard they're late blooming ACs, even moreso than Shadows.
Good to know Shadows bloom later on. I enjoy the gameplay, but it's a little slow. And a lvl 17 Champ was able to kill Qyzenart and get me to half health before I whittled him down (with me at 19).
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Little Peeves  
Jump to: