Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 12:36:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Little Peeves 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Little Peeves  (Read 156956 times)
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: January 26, 2012, 08:52:27 AM

I've only had to /stuck once, but have also had several more experiences with 30-60 seconds of trying to get out of somewhere I've been stuck.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: January 26, 2012, 08:53:47 AM

I've only been stuck/stuck once, too... but the rocks in the field seem inordinately sticky.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: January 26, 2012, 08:54:09 AM

I get stuck in little crevices all the time, but then I'm always going off the beaten path.  If it doesn't look like I can wiggle out within 20 seconds, then it's the /suck command.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: January 26, 2012, 08:54:44 AM

If it doesn't look like I can wiggle out within 20 seconds, then it's the /suck command.

o_O

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #389 on: January 26, 2012, 09:27:20 AM

Ok, who's going to sig quote that one first?

I'd push for a grief title, but I'm not that mean  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: January 26, 2012, 12:10:32 PM

Yeah, the Ctlr and Shift keys will probably function as modifiers in the majority of future games, too.  They're more of a PC thing.  Like, you'll never be able to jump or cast things with the Windows Key either.  You'll probably have to get used to another control scheme, or get a gamepad thing.  You could stretch your pinky a bit and use the / to jump, but that's uncomfortable.

'Never' is a mighty strong word there, especially since I use my Windows Key as my target self modifier.  My 4+ year old Logitech keyboard let's me remap my keys.  I'm sure there are 3rd party programs that'll probably let you do the same thing.

Over and out.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #391 on: January 26, 2012, 12:19:31 PM

'Never' is a mighty strong word there, especially since I use my Windows Key as my target self modifier.  My 4+ year old Logitech keyboard let's me remap my keys.  I'm sure there are 3rd party programs that'll probably let you do the same thing.
SWTOR seems to play rather dirty with these, actually -- my MS keyboard comes with config software which allows to disable the Windows key for example, and while Windows itself obeys that, SWTOR will happily ignore it and switch to desktop whenever i hit the key by accident.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: January 26, 2012, 12:25:52 PM

I have my selfcast modifier and focus modifier remapped to side mouse buttons... they are still pretty unreliable, though.

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: January 26, 2012, 12:48:27 PM

I have my selfcast modifier and focus modifier remapped to side mouse buttons... they are still pretty unreliable, though.
I can't seem to get the game to recognize my Logitech G700 mouse buttons... am I missing something or doing it wrong?  Or are you using the mouse software to macro a button push and then binding that?
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: January 26, 2012, 01:00:28 PM

I have a random noname mouse (Trust MI-6200) and the side buttons are recognized properly by all games. I have no idea why selfcast / focus target fails though -- I never had any problems with the side buttons in other games.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #395 on: January 26, 2012, 01:10:42 PM

I have a random noname mouse (Trust MI-6200) and the side buttons are recognized properly by all games. I have no idea why selfcast / focus target fails though -- I never had any problems with the side buttons in other games.

My space bar is my focus target modifier and even it fails. I have noticed it fails all the time if I do not wait for the GCD to expire. Even with a .5sec kill queue, if I hold my modifier and hit that button, the queue keeps it and holds it, but only recognizes the single key press regardless of a modifier. Odd that it rarely happens with my shift-key modifier on the bottom bar. *shrug

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #396 on: January 26, 2012, 02:12:03 PM

I can't seem to get the game to recognize my Logitech G700 mouse buttons... am I missing something or doing it wrong?  Or are you using the mouse software to macro a button push and then binding that?

A lot of games wont recognize the higher numbered mouse buttons. What I do is rebind all the keys in the Logitech Set Point software. The buttons are physically numbered 4-11, so what I do is in set-point is rebind them to the corresponding F key. So Mouse 4 = F4, and so on up through F11. This makes all the buttons work, and also work with the modifier keys also. This way I have them all bound to key press, alt+keypress and shift+keypress.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: January 26, 2012, 03:51:48 PM

I get stuck frequently.  I had read somewhere (in game) that typing /stuck would incur death penalties, but this doesn't seem to be the case.  Which I take as, "we were thinking about applying penalties to /stuck to keep people from abusing it, but the engine causes people to get stuck A FUCKTON, so we'll have to back off that".
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #398 on: January 26, 2012, 03:54:54 PM

Climbing (jumping) up slopes in this game is horribly broken presumably because of the engine they are using.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #399 on: January 26, 2012, 04:28:19 PM

Man, I think I've gotten actually stuck once ever. You people are terrible mountain goats.

God Save the Horn Players
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #400 on: January 26, 2012, 05:22:00 PM

I don't get stuck stuck climbing up but I have gotten stuck falling down a slope and ending up somewhere you aren't supposed to be cause I'm trying so hard to get past the invisible pebble that's blocking my upward progress.

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:29:52 PM by Trippy »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: January 26, 2012, 06:19:41 PM

I jump a lot and end up stuck in the scenery about once a day.  Hoth was horrible for this, too many deep valleys i kept reaching at the wrong spot and tried goat jumping my way down just to get stuck somewhere halfway.

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: January 26, 2012, 06:57:30 PM

Man, I think I've gotten actually stuck once ever. You people are terrible mountain goats.
This. The only time I've gotten stuck was in Huttball when I used my force leap, got hit with a knockback midair, and ended up with the falling animation, midair, unable to move. Once force leap came off cooldown, I leapt again and it fixed.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: January 27, 2012, 06:39:53 AM

I don't get stuck stuck climbing up but I have gotten stuck falling down a slope and ending up somewhere you aren't supposed to be cause I'm trying so hard to get past the invisible pebble that's blocking my upward progress.

Edit: typos

This is, by far, how I get stuck as well.  #2 would be - trying to go somewhere where I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to be going (but really, how would I know)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: January 27, 2012, 06:51:13 AM

I get stuck trying to take silly shortcuts. Like Hutta's starter area, it looks like you can go left out of the starting building around the building ahead of you. There's a pretty big gap between it and the wall. But if you jump in there, you'll get stuck.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #405 on: January 27, 2012, 06:52:52 AM

When I get stuck, it's usually mid jump. And you can't jump again, plus the screen vibrates.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: January 27, 2012, 07:12:46 AM

This was one of the big things for me in the final beta weekends. Stuck costing a death, and me getting stuck a bunch of times jumping. I also hate the god awful spider man jump animation, and intentionally tried bunches of ways to repeatedly get stuck.

If this gets a big tweak with the combat responsiveness, and what I considered a ridiculously tiny UI screen without any options or MMO conventions, I'd be right there handing Origin my cash. Bonus if they manage to fix the Trade Network too, because that will absolutely start killing their casual players when they fight an hour with that and waste entire game sessions.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: January 27, 2012, 10:10:17 AM

All of my stuck moments have come from falling into places, not jumping up to them. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #408 on: January 27, 2012, 10:47:47 AM

My only real peeve with jumping is the animation isn't different if you were moving when you started the jump.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: January 27, 2012, 01:37:48 PM

I get stuck trying to take silly shortcuts. Like Hutta's starter area, it looks like you can go left out of the starting building around the building ahead of you. There's a pretty big gap between it and the wall. But if you jump in there, you'll get stuck.

I did that the very first time I went to Hutta. It's practically begging you to use it as a shortcut. BUT NO.

That said, this is in a game where you once took item damage for using the /stuck command and the moment you stray into unmarked territory Bioware can't be bothered to wall off you're kicked off your speeder and told to go back the way you came, while taking 'exhaustion' damage. So no surprises.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: January 27, 2012, 01:44:18 PM

I like exhaustion damage better than artificial mountains. What do you expect riding out into the middle of the desert anyway!

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: January 27, 2012, 01:55:26 PM

I don't understand the exhaustion zone bitching. I've only ever run into it once, by experiment, on Tatooine.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: January 27, 2012, 02:09:46 PM

Tatooine and Hoth are the only two planets where I think it ever comes into play unless you really go out of your way to find it.  Oh, and that one goofy spot on Ord Mantell.

Over and out.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: January 27, 2012, 03:26:38 PM

I've found it on pretty much every non-city planet I've been on. It's easy, if you're like me and explore for datacrons. I can think of multiple ways to achieve the same thing (a soft wall) without punishing the player for doing what comes naturally. On Ord Mantell or Hutta, for example, have a shelf some ways off the island. You can run out to the lip in waist high water, but you can't travel further (which is what Guild Wars does, another game with no swimming). On tatooine, use a sand-storm volumetric 'fog' that gets heavier the more you run into it till you're effectively running against an invisible wall that visually makes sense as an impenetrable barrier.
The fog thing might be more of an actual challenge to get right but, really, I have a real beef with mechanical shortcuts that fuck with my immersion.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: January 27, 2012, 03:27:45 PM

I just don't understand how an invisible wall is *less* immersion breaking.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #415 on: January 27, 2012, 03:31:38 PM

Yeah, I have to say, I prefer exhaustion to "haha invisible wall," especially from an immersion standpoint. I have hit exhaustion zones two or three times, and never had a problem getting back out of them. <shrug>

God Save the Horn Players
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: January 27, 2012, 03:35:23 PM

I already posted ideas as to how to achieve the same thing as an invisible wall without it just being an invisible wall...

That said, I prefer an invisible wall that effectively tells me 'you can't go there' to a MASSIVE RED WARNING, a DoT and the effective message of 'we don't want you to go there'. And the downright insult of being kicked off my Segway, damnit.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: January 27, 2012, 03:37:04 PM

Head scratch

Well it is called the peeves thread I guess.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: January 27, 2012, 04:16:13 PM

I already posted ideas as to how to achieve the same thing as an invisible wall without it just being an invisible wall...

That said, I prefer an invisible wall that effectively tells me 'you can't go there' to a MASSIVE RED WARNING, a DoT and the effective message of 'we don't want you to go there'. And the downright insult of being kicked off my Segway, damnit.

I actually died on Tatooine in an exhaustion zone. There is a city on the upper west side of the map that I can see once I go into the desert area where the sarlacc is. I can see it on my map, but it is surrounded by an exhaustion zone to the south of it. I made it halfway across before I died. I didn't even know I was taking damage since my health bar is at the bottom of the screen and I was watching the top left of the faded map to see how much further I had to go.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #419 on: January 27, 2012, 08:36:43 PM

My sister died in an exhaustion zone once . . .

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Little Peeves  
Jump to: