Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 05:27:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gog.com 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gog.com  (Read 224991 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #455 on: March 08, 2013, 08:33:15 AM

Started playing Ultima 7 again last night. Funny how completely awesome those old games are. And I admit the nostalglic part, the music takes me right back.

I got it running pretty decently, but I went to tweak some settings and it went from maybe 3/4 of the screen to 1/2, tiny little rectangle. So I nuked the changes and put my backup config in and I guess I'll live with a less than perfect config. It's running just a wee bit fast (but it did on my 486/DX 16MB, too) and I'd like to at least get it to full screen/pillarbox. Ah, well.

The theme for this month's painting is CRPG characters and I'm painting the Avatar. It's really a non-contest, just for fun, but I like having the theme for inspiration. I'm hoping in April to start working on a diorama 'The Avatar and Companions confront Batlin'.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: March 08, 2013, 08:41:38 AM

Started playing Ultima 7 again last night. Funny how completely awesome those old games are. And I admit the nostalglic part, the music takes me right back.

I got it running pretty decently, but I went to tweak some settings and it went from maybe 3/4 of the screen to 1/2, tiny little rectangle. So I nuked the changes and put my backup config in and I guess I'll live with a less than perfect config. It's running just a wee bit fast (but it did on my 486/DX 16MB, too) and I'd like to at least get it to full screen/pillarbox. Ah, well.

The theme for this month's painting is CRPG characters and I'm painting the Avatar. It's really a non-contest, just for fun, but I like having the theme for inspiration. I'm hoping in April to start working on a diorama 'The Avatar and Companions confront Batlin'.

I got this too. Don't just run the EXE, there is a Config/setup thingy that installs with it, in that, is a "Keep aspect ratio" setting. This will make it so the game takes your entire screen. Launch using that tool.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #457 on: March 08, 2013, 09:55:21 AM

I'd like to at least get it to full screen/pillarbox. Ah, well.

Why u no Exult?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #458 on: March 08, 2013, 09:57:51 AM

What Cironian said.  I mean, I love GoG and all, but there's no reason to not use Exult.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: March 08, 2013, 09:58:16 AM

That looks a bit better than the outputs I can get with the Dosbox, gog tool. Most options scale things up, but the side effect is a huge pixel mess.

Is that a tool for the game, a whole package..or, what?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
cironian
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: March 08, 2013, 10:03:07 AM

http://exult.sourceforge.net/

New engine written from the ground up. It makes the graphics look right, makes sure everything runs at the right speed at all times and even gives you some of the minor Serpent Isle improvements (Paperdolls!) in Black Gate.

Oh, also mod support, so you can get the SI keyring in Black Gate.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: March 08, 2013, 11:29:16 AM

Ah, shit. I forgotted.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: March 10, 2013, 09:30:53 PM

Ah, yes. Much better. Trying it with the Roland synth this time, though I do miss my old SB sounds a little.

And the hq4x sampling works perfect at 1080p with 10fps set.

Is the SI keyring native to Exult (in Black Gate) or is that a mod?
cironian
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: March 11, 2013, 01:28:24 AM

It's a mod: http://exult.sourceforge.net/forum/read.php?f=1&i=385776&t=385776

I'm 90% sure that you need the 1.5 snapshot release for mod support to work properly, since the last full release is quite old: http://exult.sourceforge.net/snapshots/Exultwin32.exe
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:32:12 AM by cironian »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: March 11, 2013, 06:36:01 AM

They disabled the last full release, you can only download the 1.5.x snapshot right now.

Also, forgot to mention I'm playing full screen 1080 without extra map, no cheaty! It might be a little vert- or hor+, I didn't test it. Looks really nice, though.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:43:20 AM by Sky »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #465 on: March 11, 2013, 01:40:44 PM

There is a key inside a dead animal on the lake shore.  Does that get cleaned as well?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
cironian
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: March 11, 2013, 02:07:05 PM

Unsurprising for people putting that much effort into an almost 21 year old game (doesn't that make you feel old?), they thought of that. It's in the spoiler section of the readme.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #467 on: March 26, 2013, 04:36:31 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: March 26, 2013, 04:58:04 AM

Oh God, the memories.  I had literally forgotten that one.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #469 on: March 26, 2013, 08:57:23 AM

I was working at Electronics Boutique when that came out. It had SO MUCH HYPE because it was Wing Commander but in the same arena as Falcon and the other flight sims that were big at the time. Then it came out and shit on the specs for everyone's current computer and require hellacious memory management DOS workarounds to get working worth a shit. You know, like every other Origin game released in that time period.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: April 05, 2013, 08:45:16 AM

Big sale on all D&D titles.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #471 on: April 05, 2013, 11:20:52 AM

Ok, so convince me that buying Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and modding the fuck out of them like they recommend on Gog is a better idea than getting the BG Enhanced Edition that just came out. ANNNNNNNDDDD... GO.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: April 05, 2013, 12:02:32 PM

Who the fuck doesnt own BG 1 and 2 already?  why so serious?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #473 on: April 05, 2013, 12:23:25 PM

Never played them or owned them. I think I was deeply immersed in EQ1 when they came out.

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: April 05, 2013, 12:24:11 PM

Never played them or owned them. I think I was deeply immersed in EQ1 when they came out.

Get out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #475 on: April 05, 2013, 12:26:44 PM

I am trying to remedy this failing, but I need some guidance... thus the question.  why so serious?

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: April 05, 2013, 12:27:43 PM

From what I heard, the Enhanced Edition was buggy. Maybe it's been fixed, I don't know.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: April 05, 2013, 12:36:25 PM

I am trying to remedy this failing, but I need some guidance... thus the question.  why so serious?

Never owned them? I'm not sure any amount of guidance will save you. Heretic.

Seriously, I've heard some bad things about EE with all the bugs and the like. Maybe they have ironed them out? However to get 1 and 2 for like 5 bucks and then apply the BG2 mod (whatever its called) to BG 1 wasn't that much work and obviously much cheaper.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #478 on: April 05, 2013, 12:56:04 PM

Yah, then you bought a Wii.  How'd that work out for you, Huckleberry?

You don't need convincing.  Buy them and play them or swallow a jar full of scorpions. This is your choice.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #479 on: April 05, 2013, 01:16:55 PM

I think the big reason to do the modded BG1+2/TOB over the EE is that it lets you play BG1 in the BG2 engine, which really improves the interface a lot.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: April 05, 2013, 01:41:09 PM

Ok, so convince me that buying Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and modding the fuck out of them like they recommend on Gog is a better idea than getting the BG Enhanced Edition that just came out. ANNNNNNNDDDD... GO.

For a first-time BG1 player, the Enhanced Edition pretty much has everything you'd want out of the box anyway. BG1 in the BG2 engine, improved interface, BG2 spells in BG1, bug fixes, some mod-added QOL improvements baked in...

Of course, there's the slight problem of there being no BG2EE yet as well as that other little thing where BG1+2 on GOG with this sale is half the price of BGEE.

So really it comes down to how much effort you're willing to expend. If you don't want to spend the couple hours it takes to read a mod guide and bring vanilla BG1 up to the EE's level, then by all means get BGEE and either export your characters to vanilla BG2 or wait however many months it takes for Overhaul to release BG2EE.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:42:55 PM by koro »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #481 on: April 05, 2013, 01:53:16 PM

Of course, there's the slight problem of there being no BG2EE yet as well as that other little thing where BG1+2 on GOG with this sale is half the price of BGEE.

So really it comes down to how much effort you're willing to expend. If you don't want to spend the couple hours it takes to read a mod guide and bring vanilla BG1 up to the EE's level, then by all means get BGEE and either export your characters to vanilla BG2 or wait however many months it takes for Overhaul to release BG2EE.

GOG has a handy guide to do just that and I don't mind putting in the time. I just wanted to make sure the EE wasn't some transcendent experience over the modding part. For half the price and twice the game, I was leaning that way anyway. SOLD.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: April 05, 2013, 02:00:39 PM

The EE's not bad, and some of the new features (like the clean breakdown of attack and defense stats) are nice, but not quite "can't go back to the original"-worthy.

The new Blackguard kit and NPC it adds in is absurdly overpowered though.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #483 on: April 05, 2013, 09:04:22 PM

Big sale on all D&D titles.

The stacking promotion is an odd one; you can buy all 10 titles for $21.10  Take off Demonstone, the price  drop 7 cents to $21.03; remove Dragonshard it drops 50 cents to 20.53.  Take out the temple of elemental evil, the price becomes 21.53 which is more than the original 10 game bundle...

I still have most of these games on CD so if choose just the 4 i actually want (BG BG2 NWN1 and NWN2), the price is still $20.96.  Heck just NWN1 and 2 as pair is $16.48; might as well spend the extra $5 and get 8 more games...

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: April 08, 2013, 07:21:27 AM

For me, GOG is more about de-disking and modern OS compatibility than anything else. I have discs for almost everything on my shelf there.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: April 27, 2013, 12:35:11 AM

For me, GOG is more about de-disking and modern OS compatibility than anything else. I have discs for almost everything on my shelf there.

Ya I just bought divine divinity from them dispite having the cd version already. Just for the convenience of running it on my monitor in wide screen (and damn does it show a ton more ground.)
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: April 27, 2013, 04:46:36 AM

I would strangle a nun if it meant Gog got ahold of Missionforce Cyberstorm. I bought the CD off of ebay, and it just won't run on Win7. I have my old 95 disk, and could try a dual boot, but I haven't done that before, and have no clue how 95 would need to be rejiggerd for modern hardware.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: May 03, 2013, 07:29:33 AM

http://www.gog.com/promo/ea_weekend_promo_030513

Classic EA Convoy

On sale until Tuesday, May 7, at 3:59AM GMT are:

* Ultima Underworld 1&2
* Ultima 1-3
* Ultima 4-6
* Ultima 7
* Ultima 8
* Ultima 9
* Wing Commander Privateer
* Wing Commander 1-2
* Wing Commander 3
* Wing commander 4
* Theme Hospital
* Dungeon Keeper 1
* Dungeon Keeper 2
* Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (including Alien Crossfire)
* Syndicate
* SimCity 2000 Special Edition
* Nox
* Crusader: No Remorse
* Crusader: No Regret
* Populus I
* Populus II
* Populus: The Beginning
* Magic Carpet
* Lands of Lore 1-2
* Lands of Lare 3
* Starflight 1-2
* Medal of Honor: Allied Assault War Chest
* Bioforge
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:35:21 AM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: May 03, 2013, 07:34:01 AM

I've heard of nearly every game in that list and only ever played three of them I think.

Anyone care to recommend the best ten or so games out of that list if I was only looking to spend about twenty on games I won't likely actually get around to playing?  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 08:03:21 AM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: May 03, 2013, 07:43:06 AM

I've heard of nearly even game in that list and only ever played three of them I think.

Anyone care to recommend maybe the best ten games out of that list if I was only looking to spend maybe twenty or so on games I probably won't actually get around to playing?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Ultima Underworld 1 and 2
Any or all of the Wing Commanders and Privateer
StarFlight 1 and 2
Populous 1 and 2 (3 might be good but I haven't tried it yet)
Magic Carpet

edit: I'd also recommend Lands of Lore 1 and 2. LoL 1 was a great game in the spirit of the old Eye of the Beholder games (it was done by Westwood). I haven't played 2 and 3 yet (I have them but haven't gotten around to them).

Honestly, with maybe a couple exceptions, they're all really good games (or at least have been reviewed favorably in the past). There's a few I've never played (Crusader, Bioforge, Theme Hospital, Nox) so I can't speak for them, but I don't ever recall them being panned.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:46:09 AM by raydeen »

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gog.com  
Jump to: