Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 07:42:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Sigil quests first movie. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sigil quests first movie.  (Read 3182 times)
lampshade

Email
on: July 17, 2004, 01:51:59 PM

http://vanguard.ogaming.com/data/1024~VanguardVideo's.php

Its very pretty but I honestly dont think Mythica was worth trashing over what this movie seems to be trying to sell. At least it didnt have bad progressive metal....
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 02:57:14 AM

If I didn't know that was from Vanguard I would have assumed I was looking at an EQ2 movie. It has the same psuedo-realistic texturing as EQ2 including the same plastic looking specular highlighting. Brad must really like that look.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 04:07:07 AM

It didn't look all that plasticy when I saw the game during my press demo with Brad and Jeff. One thing I did notice was the video moving through the city. How in the fuck they managed that is beyond me. At the demo the computer came to a crawl as the high poly kingdom bent it over a desk and violated its anus. It could have been that they were running the X800 and the drivers for it weren't up to par (a very viable reason.) We'll have to see. It did look pretty, but alot of the land felt empty to me.

Note: If anyone read my E3 Write-up for this I'd like to point out that the phallic symbol(s) I referred to are the spires you see in the first part of the video.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 09:40:35 AM

Was the E3 demo using SpeedTreeRT? The movie looks like it is. Some well used LOD is all it takes to go from slug to speedy.
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 10:05:41 AM

Is that all, another EQ2 with cheesy music?  Now I really miss Mythica.

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 01:22:54 PM

About the best I can manage is a morose "Yippie-doodle?"

Looks like Everquest with a shinier skin. I saw absolutely nothing in there that made me want to play the game, especially considering I know McQuaid is involved.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 01:36:05 PM

What are we supposed to see in a movie to make us want to play a game anyway?  By that standard nothing I have seen in about any video for about any game has made me want to play it.  HL2 awed me with the physics, but that is because I saw the movies to it a long time before games like Max Payne2 came out and such.

In a MMOG what visually can make anyone want to play a game?  I can't think of anything at all.  All you can judge is art.  And for a game like this you can't even judge that since it will most likely look very different by release.  I have not even seen the trailer, I usually don't bother watching them at all.  What do people expect to see in them?  I usually leave them disliking the game more than I came in.  I am more prone to nitpick the negatives than be wowed by the positives.

All we here would care about is maybe a shaky cam of a guy actually PLAYING the game.  Then we could see how much he had to interact to do things in combat, we could see the interface, etc...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 01:41:31 PM

What I like to see in video game trailers like this is something I either haven't seen before, or something that lets me know how the game will play.

This had neither. It had lots of shiny, some really bad Rush guitar rip offs, and not much else.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 01:45:46 PM

These trailers (especially the first trailers for an alpha or pre-alpha game) never show any gameplay.  At best you get embarassingly scripted scenes like the early WoW videos that showed people moving in formation and doing flanking moves and such (what a laugh).  The only memorable thing from the early wow videos was, um... it looks like a zoomed in Warcraft 3, and oh, they have treents apparently that roar.  Same thing from all these companies.  I doubt gameplay is even IN vanguard yet.
Anonymous

Email
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 10:03:46 AM

You say that like vanguard will ever have gameplay worth mentioning.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Sigil quests first movie.  
Jump to: