Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:09:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 956589 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2450 on: July 15, 2015, 01:19:41 AM

Quote from: Ben Lesnick, Star Citizen Community Manager
As for refund requests working the other way: per the ToS, we’re not required to offer them. We do try and work with backers who are facing hardships, but the hard truth is that the money is by necessity being spent to develop a game

So, the interesting angle here is that Ben Lesnick said in that letter that refunds are not available (save for arbitrary special cases) because they have already spent the money.

Now, granted, if you dumped 10k+ in this game you are either an idiot or a rich idiot, but at this point how many will start thinking: "you know what? I could use 10k if they give it back to me. There are so many things I could do with 10k right now!"

For the rich & idiot reasons I mentioned above I don't think this will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden some started to feel like jumping ship, especially considering that the consequence of that would be in many cases a new car, a new down payment for an apartment, a nice holiday, or paying off a debt that has been haunting them for a while.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2451 on: July 15, 2015, 02:35:43 AM

I'm of split feelings on this, and this is what it looks like:

1. If you spent $10k on this shit, fuck you, you don't deserve your money.
2. If you spent, let's say - $300 (based on the most expensive CE/LE's I've seen before) - and are just sick and tired of waiting on the game... then you just deserve the refund, because you're a regular if a little fanatical, consumer.

That said, I'm really hoping this whole company goes into a blackbox, takes the money, shuts literally everything down, and disappears like it never happened. What an amazing heist.

They won't do that though, because they're stupid and likely amazingly pussified.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #2452 on: July 15, 2015, 02:37:13 AM

As someone who at one point paid a shitton of money for a lifetime subscription to Hellgate: London shouldn't you be more empathetic to others in similar situations?
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #2453 on: July 15, 2015, 02:40:47 AM

As for refund requests working the other way: per the ToS, we’re not required to offer them. We do try and work with backers who are facing hardships, but the hard truth is that the money is by necessity being spent to develop a game

So, the interesting angle here is that Ben Lesnick said in that letter that refunds are not available (save for arbitrary special cases) because they have already spent the money.

This is not how this works and Mr. Lesnick knows that. So the fact that he claims the opposite should make anyone wary. "You can't ask for refunds because we've already spent your money" (on hookers and blow probably) is not something you'd say if you still believe that you'll eventually delier a finished product.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2454 on: July 15, 2015, 02:45:19 AM

This is not how this works and Mr. Lesnick knows that. So the fact that he claims the opposite should make anyone wary. "You can't ask for refunds because we've already spent your money" (on hookers and blow probably) is not something you'd say if you still believe that you'll eventually delier a finished product.

Exactly. That's why I think that line is a DISASTER from a PR and also a legal standpoint. I am surprised not enough people have jumped for his neck yet after reading that ridiculous line.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2455 on: July 15, 2015, 04:19:44 AM

I find it amazing that someone went "You know how to fix out Serek Dmart problem?  Let's give him his money back!  He's toxic and will surely go away if he just gets a refund.  And then let's publicly blog about how we are giving him and only him a refund because that will help matters".
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2456 on: July 15, 2015, 04:46:45 AM

Geez, guys, Abagadro already told you why they're giving the refund--it undercuts Serek's legal standing to bring any kind of suit. They're not doing it as a general p.r. move to show that they have a benevolent policy towards dissatisfied customers.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2457 on: July 15, 2015, 04:55:17 AM

That said, I'm really hoping this whole company goes into a blackbox, takes the money, shuts literally everything down, and disappears like it never happened. What an amazing heist.

They won't do that though, because they're stupid and likely amazingly pussified.

You are correct, of course, but I believe they won't shut it down because most people do not turn off the money hose until it is too late.

Also +2 for making a post that reads like something I'd write (Predator comparison).

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2458 on: July 15, 2015, 05:05:55 AM

I think this is a basic problem with most con games--when a con artist hits a really rich source, they have a hard time getting out while the getting's good. There's always a few smart people who see it coming and run for it before they're left having their pictures taken in a line-up or being named in a lawsuit, but I think that maybe has happened already with Star Citizen, judging from these recent departures.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2459 on: July 15, 2015, 05:07:10 AM

I think Chris Roberts should be buried under a pile of lawsuits until he eventually perishes, and then the funeral home sells him a virtual coffin for $50,000 before they chuck him unceremoniously into the ocean.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2460 on: July 15, 2015, 05:23:26 AM

SC can't disappear because Roberts has a name and there's hundreds of employees with a paper trail. It'll go on until it can't.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2461 on: July 15, 2015, 05:40:08 AM

Or until someone named Christo Roberto applies for citizenship in Costa Rica.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2462 on: July 15, 2015, 05:53:05 AM

The refunds thing is interesting.  It strikes me that they are abandoning the notion that these are donations altogether if they are refunding based on things not being delivered by now, even if they are doing it arbitrarily.  That actually does seem to open them up them up to legal trouble.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2463 on: July 15, 2015, 06:44:56 AM

Can it even be a donation if they sell you virtual stuff for thousands of dollars ? Does it matter ? I also do not understand how they can claim a "no refunds" policy. I thought that stuff was settled ages ago.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2464 on: July 15, 2015, 07:03:49 AM

That sort of stuff happens all the time.  Some not-for-profit says, donate $25 to us and get this free travel mug (or whatever). They'll have some merchandise someone else donated (the travel mugs), and now they'll sweeten the pot for your monetary donation by offering it to you if you donate.  That's sort of how I view these kickstarter pledge level things.

Of course, the big, glaring difference is that this a very much FOR-profit situation.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2465 on: July 15, 2015, 07:10:36 AM

I guess that makes Smart the Predator, cuz he ain't breeding.

Huh.

This just got a level deeper than I expected.

edited for quote

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2466 on: July 15, 2015, 07:21:19 AM

That sort of stuff happens all the time.  Some not-for-profit says, donate $25 to us and get this free travel mug (or whatever). They'll have some merchandise someone else donated (the travel mugs), and now they'll sweeten the pot for your monetary donation by offering it to you if you donate.  That's sort of how I view these kickstarter pledge level things.

Of course, the big, glaring difference is that this a very much FOR-profit situation.

Well the big question for me is if what they are doing falls under the FTC rules of deceptive advertising. If you can prove they had no reasonable intent of ever producing the items as they advertised them, then you'd win.

As for refunds, if they are in California, they have a 30 day return policy at the state level.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2467 on: July 15, 2015, 07:31:37 AM

It's frankly kind of odd that we have this new kind of emerging economy based around "supporting" via donation for profit companies in the first place. The idea of kickstarter/indie-go-go/patreon, etc makes sense for small projects, not for profits and so forth.  But when it gets bigger, I don't like the model much.

When it comes to Star Citizen I totally agree that they are effectively just selling things.  But wrapping it in this "donate" language complicates things.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2468 on: July 15, 2015, 07:42:39 AM

The model is horrible, regardless of size. It's a scammers paradise with almost no real legal recourse until it gets so bloated the lawyers see $$$

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #2469 on: July 15, 2015, 07:46:11 AM

The model is horrible, regardless of size. It's a scammers paradise with almost no real legal recourse until it gets so bloated the lawyers see $$$
yeah, eventually the FTC is going to have to weigh in to say exactly what a backer is. Are they a customer and therefore protected by trading laws? Are they investors and therefore entitled to equity in the product? Are they simply making a charitable donation?

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2470 on: July 15, 2015, 08:01:46 AM

Even if the group was non-profit, which they aren't, even non-profits are subject to refunds is the conditions of the gifts aren't met. A recent example was Garth Brooks suing and winning a case where a non-profit hospital didn't live up to the conditions of the gift

If you can make the case that you fully expected certain conditions in return for your donation, and the advertising led you to reasonably believe your gift would include those conditions, then I think the case is a slam-dunk.

Here's the legal bits from the EULA:

For the avoidance of doubt, in consideration of RSI’s good faith efforts to develop, produce, and deliver the Game with the funds raised, you agree that any Pledge amounts applied against the Pledge Item Cost and the Game Cost shall be non-refundable regardless of whether or not RSI is able to complete and deliver the Game and/or the pledge items. In the unlikely event that RSI is not able to deliver the Game and/or the pledge items, RSI agrees to post an audited cost accounting on the Website to fully explain the use of the amounts paid for Pledge Item Cost and the Game Cost.  In consideration of the promises by RSI hereunder, you agree that you shall irrevocably waive any claim for refund of any Pledge that has been used for the Game Cost and Pledge Item Cost in accordance with the above.

My question is how clear is that in the ads? I'm thinking REALLY REALLY NOT. Oh and I would love to see them follow through on the audited cost accounting of this clusterfuck.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2471 on: July 15, 2015, 08:18:04 AM

Star Citizen didn't ruin anyone's lives, anymore than heroin or gambling. Personal responsibility, some people just don't have it and it's a matter of time.

I don't even feel bad for the folks who bid the low levels on KS for the plain old game, KS itself is a gamble.

I applaud what Roberts is doing, fleecing gullible people is the American Way. Ironically, suing them to add to his own bank account as Dmart is doing, also the American Way. So it's win/win, really (except for the suckers who got fleeced, but again...American Way, the system doesn't work without suckers).
schild
Administrator

Reply #2472 on: July 15, 2015, 09:18:42 AM

As someone who at one point paid a shitton of money for a lifetime subscription to Hellgate: London shouldn't you be more empathetic to others in similar situations?
No, because they under-delivered and I treated them like shit til I got a refund. But at least they delivered something for me to even be upset with.

Also, I said $300 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2473 on: July 15, 2015, 09:44:27 AM

Can both sides lose a lawsuit? I'm having trouble deciding who is the lesser of two evils in this case.

I think it's pretty clear. One side is robbing people blind and the other is a narcissistic ranting fuckstick who provides endless amounts of rage-tainment for the masses. I know who I'm rooting for!  why so serious?

schild
Administrator

Reply #2474 on: July 15, 2015, 09:57:43 AM

Smart isn't even entertaining. He just needed to be coddled by his mother less. If anything, he's depressing.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2475 on: July 15, 2015, 01:25:27 PM

The other glaring difference is that they don't actually have the travel mug ready and offer only the faintest indication on when you might be getting it (unless you donated during the Kickstarter in which case they've already gone past the date they listed).
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2476 on: July 15, 2015, 02:15:01 PM

Smart has the sort of impulse control and obsessiveness and mood regulation issues that usually keep anyone from getting to do shit like he did at one point because it inevitably torpedoes your personal and business relations quickly. But usually way earlier in a cycle. So he's sort of an outlier in the sense that he managed to do anything he actually did while having so many fundamental personality problems. I guess that's kind of a compliment?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2477 on: July 16, 2015, 12:49:02 AM

This just in  awesome, for real

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2478 on: July 16, 2015, 01:21:51 AM

Almost everyone involved in this really needs to grow up.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #2479 on: July 16, 2015, 01:26:15 AM

Almost everyone involved in this really needs to grow up.

Shhh, here you can have my pop corn.
Sit down, it's gonna git gud.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #2480 on: July 16, 2015, 02:09:21 AM

You know whose input we're missing?  Bloodworth's.  What's the story there - did he get banned or just pissed off that no-one was taking SC seriously?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2481 on: July 16, 2015, 02:24:12 AM

Last time he posted here was 4 months ago, explaining us in detail why everything was going according to plan.

So the approach of making it a mini-game is completely appropriate. In AC right now, you can leave your ship and see an early version, likely to be updated when the FPS portion is released. Its all rolls back into itself.

I think part of the issue is comprehension. Not many are used to seeing something like a game made, and all the iterations and components being worked and reworked. With each bit of information ( and there is nearly a constant stream ) many treat it as if its the typical "4 months to release" info dump. The damage model is a great example of iteration, and wholly confused commenters. When the first iteration is treated as "the finial" one and the second, and quite possibly not even last method is vastly different. Most people I suspect are not accustomed to seeing the guts of development, even SC for all its transparency, its still sanitized and compiled. Many are simply used to normal patterns of information in the few months leading up-to launch, so every bit of info that the media cares to share ( witch seems to mostly be focused on the money, Not really CIGS' fault, the details and info about subsystems are available ) becomes the next "Final" version in many viewers minds.

Im genuinely sorry if I contributed to annoy him. But I still think his stance on SC was ridiculous.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2482 on: July 16, 2015, 06:01:06 AM

DMart is really obsessed with setting things ablaze. Might want to look at his childhood and possible open arson cases.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2483 on: July 16, 2015, 06:38:55 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2484 on: July 16, 2015, 06:39:33 AM

He's gone full  swamp poop
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: