Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 07:47:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 959425 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2170 on: May 30, 2015, 12:29:55 PM

Some quotes from the Reliant presentation page:

Greetings Citizens,

New for model year 2946, it’s the MISC Reliant! Following on the success of the Freelancer “Built for Life” campaign, MISC has begun development of a smaller, introductory-class spacecraft that can be operated by a single pilot. Although roughly designed to compete with the RSI Aurora and the Consolidated Outland Mustang, the Reliant is a very different animal. From the broad, sleek wings to the multiple flight modes and the second, fully-articulated crew seat, the Reliant is a small ship with a great deal of potential!

The MISC Reliant makes copious use of Xi’An technology, the most ever applied to a human ship design. From a moving cockpit that slots into place depending on the flight mode to omni-directional thrusters licensed under trade agreement with Aopoa, the Reliant is one of the most ‘high tech’ ships on the market today! Advanced Xi’An metal composites make up the armored wingspan, and every control surface has been meticulously updated from those developed for the Freelancer by MISC’s internal xenotech team.

A flying wing… or is it? The Reliant changes from horizontal to vertical flight modes at the touch of a button! With a larger cargo hold than the Aurora ES or the Mustang Alpha, the Reliant is a natural choice for anyone engaging in short-haul shipping. And that cargo space also means there’s plenty of internal room to expand, allowing the placement of medical systems, weapons racks and more. Ultimately, though, the Reliant is no transport: it’s a sleek and maneuverable utility ship more than capable of holding its own during combat!

Design notes from David Hobbins:

Goals

The design notes were for a Japanese aesthetic, which I interpreted by studying forms from both classical and modern Japanese art. I wanted the Reliant to evoke aspects of its Japanese design sensibility, and I looked at objects like the curve of a fan, the Ginko leaf, the beveled edge of a samurai sword, and other sources.

The design became less fan-like during the course of the concept process, and that’s okay, but it was a necessary step for me to kick off the design process. Another goal for the ship was to incorporate some Xi’An technology which was to be mostly internal but still should inform the ship’s exterior.

Challenges

The biggest challenge was figuring out how to maximize the cargo payload without compromising the ship’s distinctive profile and without making the overall wing frame too large. The Reliant is a mini-hauler, after all, and I needed a way to fit a respectable cargo volume into a relatively narrow wing frame. Initially I thought I could integrate the cargo into the wing frame itself, but the increased rotational weight would slow spinning maneuvers and also would open the door to other problem such as, balancing issues. For example, what if one side of the craft is loaded and the opposite isn’t? Countering this potential weight disparity would be too much for the maneuvering thrusters. So my final solution was to place the cargo hold at very the center of mass, maintaining the visual integrity of the narrow wings as well as minimizing the rotational weight and mismatch cargo configurations.

Fun

The most fun was creating an animation of the Reliant – going from a landing configuration to space combat mode. It’s really satisfying to see a design fully come to life.

I guess it starts making more sense when you consider that it has the potential for a second crew member acting as a gunner; in theory, the aforementioned rotation should give better visibility (beside the difference with the flight mode) when shooting lazerz at baddies.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:32:05 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2171 on: June 01, 2015, 04:23:15 PM

Ok, this is kinda off topic, but a nice trip down the memory lane concerning the original Wing Commander (1990). Earlier this year, Mary Bellis passed away.

Who was her? In short, she was an uncredited, but vital figure in the development of WC: with that kind of modeling still in its infancy, she was responsible for the creation of all the 3D ship models of the original Wing Commander, using a program on the Amiga called Sculpt 3D.

You can read the full story, which includes some nice anecdotes and pictures, here:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/265726/remembering-mary-bellis

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2172 on: June 03, 2015, 08:03:03 AM

Why do you need alien technology to make your cockpit rotate?

Because you've run out of ideas and people appear willing to throw money at any crap you release provided it is new?

I mean if we're going to think about starship design so that it isn't based on a 1920s biplane style aka Star Wars, we should be talking about full 3D HUDs where 'you' are the ship.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #2173 on: June 05, 2015, 12:39:33 AM

Because you've run out of ideas and people appear willing to throw money at any crap you release provided it is new?

I mean if we're going to think about starship design so that it isn't based on a 1920s biplane style aka Star Wars, we should be talking about full 3D HUDs where 'you' are the ship.

If we're going to be opening that particular can of worms, we should be talking about how humans having manual control over spacecraft trying to shoot other spacecraft a few hundred feet away is fundamentally stupid.  Actual space combat would take place at distances of hundreds of kilometers and be completely automated because no human could possibly have the reflexes and precision needed to hit something moving at a fraction of the speed of light.  But that's pretty much the opposite of fun, so it's not what you'll be seeing people playing anytime soon.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2174 on: June 05, 2015, 06:34:10 AM

If we're going to be opening that particular can of worms, we should be talking about how humans having manual control over spacecraft trying to shoot other spacecraft a few hundred feet away is fundamentally stupid.  Actual space combat would take place at distances of hundreds of kilometers and be completely automated because no human could possibly have the reflexes and precision needed to hit something moving at a fraction of the speed of light.  But that's pretty much the opposite of fun, so it's not what you'll be seeing people playing anytime soon.

Wait, isn't that Eve online?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2175 on: June 05, 2015, 01:42:57 PM

And many would argue Eve is the opposite of fun.   why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2176 on: June 05, 2015, 02:01:20 PM

I didn't really think there was any argument there.  why so serious?

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #2177 on: June 05, 2015, 04:17:54 PM

I'd rather someone produced EvE Offline than Star Citizen. :D

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
schild
Administrator

Reply #2178 on: June 05, 2015, 04:32:54 PM

And many would argue Eve is the opposite of fun.

Many would state that Eve isn't a game.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2179 on: June 05, 2015, 06:20:52 PM

Many would say the same about WMS Iron Man.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2180 on: June 05, 2015, 06:23:06 PM

WOW GOOD ONE LAMAROS, A CLEVER, RELEVANT RETORT WITH LAYERS AND LAYERS OF DEEPNESS AND RELEVANCE.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2181 on: June 05, 2015, 09:38:19 PM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2182 on: June 06, 2015, 06:11:19 AM

So the monthly update is longer than some Harry Potter books. On my phone so I can't link it. Do they people with thousands in this game even read all that shit?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2183 on: June 06, 2015, 06:38:43 AM

They probably do, while scrolling with one hand.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2184 on: June 06, 2015, 06:45:37 AM

Any of this update actually being shown in the game on your PC, or is it still dogfighting with all new landing pads.

Hic sunt dracones.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2185 on: June 07, 2015, 07:18:58 AM

Do you use a two handed mouse?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2186 on: June 07, 2015, 10:24:23 AM

No, but I scroll with both hands while reading Star Citizen patch notes. awesome, for real

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2187 on: June 07, 2015, 10:28:15 AM

awesome, for real Thumbs up!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #2188 on: June 07, 2015, 01:23:22 PM

I'm sure they have a HOTUS setup and scroll with the throttle and keep one hand on the joystick ready to flame the forums....

oh wait, it was a masturbation joke....

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2189 on: June 12, 2015, 05:38:41 PM

New Vanduul ship revealed, the "Void-Class Bomber" (more pics at the link):
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14774-Classified-Report-Vanduul-Bomber-Identified

In-fiction:
NAVAL HIGH COMMAND, OFFICE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Release No: NR-2567-15E
June 12, 2945
Further Details on Vanduul Raid in Oberon

On June 11, 2945 at 02:40 SET, a distress call was sent from the civilian refueling station “Diamond Jim’s Fuelporium” located within the Oberon system near the planet Oberon VI. The 341st Squadron, already on patrol nearby, was sent to investigate when subsequent attempts to hail the station were unsuccessful.

Upon arriving, the 341st discovered that the station had been destroyed. No survivors were found.

Information pulled from the station’s recovered data drives reveal that at 02:36 SET two Vanduul Bombers, UEE designation ‘Void,’ had entered within range of the station’s proximity sensors. After detecting the presence of these hostile Void Bombers, owner and operator of the station, Citizen Jim Hester, had initiated emergency procedures which triggered the aforementioned distress call. Though the station was armed with turrets, it seems that the Vanduul Bombers were able to maneuver past the station’s defenses and release a devastating mixture of missiles and boarding craft. No ships or escape pods were able to launch from the refueling station before it was overwhelmed. All 56 beings aboard at the time of the attack were killed. A full list of the deceased will be released once next of kin have been notified.

As of the release of this report, Navy forces have been unable to track down the ships responsible. Patrols will continue to search the area.

All signs point to this being an isolated incident, with the Vanduul’s main goal being the acquisition of fuel. While this is a tragic event, it is the opinion of the Naval High Command that this is not indicative of any organized Vanduul incursion into UEE space, but rather a solitary raid.

For more information, media may contact the UEE Navy High Command Public Affairs Office during normal hours.

ATTACHED: Naval Intelligence has provided a preliminary specification sheet and the latest imagery of the Void bomber. Civilians are advised to avoid any engagement with this ship type until more details are known.

UEE NAVY HIGH COMMAND
Office of Public Affairs
1631-2 Media Relations
Tamerlane, MacArthur, Killian

Some specs:

LENGTH   124m
BEAM   90m
HEIGHT   33m
MAX CREW   UNKNOWN
POWER PLANT   4 (equivalent)
ENGINE (PRIMARY THRUSTER)   3x TR5 (equivalent)
MANEUVERING THRUSTERS   10x TR3 (equivalent)
SHIELD   5 (equivalent)
FIXED GUNS   3 x Size 6 – Electron Cannon
MISSILES   4 x Size 4 – Triple-Mount Torpedo Cluster
TURRETS   7 x Size 4 – Laser Repeater Turret
------

The other, currently known Vanduul ships are  the "Scythe", which is the standard light ship of Arena Commander (basically the role of, let's say, the "Salthi" in WC 3), and the "Glaive", a symmetrical modification of the Scythe.

Regarding the Scythe, first of all here's and old video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSg8eNvLqCo

And here's how Cloud Imperium games is modifying it for the human flyable version:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14773-Preview-Flying-The-Scythe

Video (vimeo):
https://player.vimeo.com/video/130595615
-----

As Squadron 42 approaches, they'll unveil more of the Vanduul fleet (Stinger, Cleaver, Hunter, Mauler, Blade, Driller, Kingship and possibly more)

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2190 on: June 27, 2015, 09:00:25 AM

Yesterday, CIG unveiled (for now only as concept art) the first "Civilian Passenger Transport" they'll include in the game, along with the accompanying game system and career they're planning for it.

Here is the CI (Crusader Industries) Genesis Starliner:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14801-Introducing-The-Genesis-Starliner

And here is the design document by Tony Zurovec:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14804-Design-Civilian-Passenger-Transport

Now, if you have a few minutes, be sure to read it because, as always with SC, this "sub-system" is basically a game in itself; to summarize, beside the actual "flying" component by whoever is at the helm, it's a series of minigames for both the personnel and the passengers (ICES, Mixmaster, Medical Diagnosis and Treatment, Flight Attendants)

It's worthy of note that you can assign the various "maintenance" activities/minigames to NPCs, if you just want to stick to the flying part.

Oh, and of course the passengers (I think the Genesis has a max. capacity of 40) can all be NPCs too (but I'm sure some crazy ass RPers like me will use it from time to time :P)

schild
Administrator

Reply #2191 on: June 27, 2015, 09:56:41 AM

-_-
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2192 on: June 27, 2015, 10:56:22 AM

The best time to introduce new systems is when none of the previous ones are implemented.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2193 on: June 27, 2015, 11:44:30 AM

Feel the thrill and romance of being a bus driver in the high vacumn.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2194 on: June 27, 2015, 12:02:51 PM

In space no one can hear you...mix drinks?
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #2195 on: June 27, 2015, 01:51:42 PM

Oh good, I always dreamt about becoming a flight attendant. In space.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2196 on: June 27, 2015, 02:52:14 PM

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2197 on: June 27, 2015, 03:37:01 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2198 on: June 27, 2015, 06:05:41 PM

Every time I think Chris Roberts and his crew cannot possibly surprise or baffle me any more than they already have, they manage to do so in style.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2199 on: June 27, 2015, 06:11:53 PM

Star Citizen is going to yield so much drama, tears, and good popcorn material. I can't wait for them to hit that threshold where even the most die-hard supporters begin to expect the game they were promised.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #2200 on: June 27, 2015, 06:28:22 PM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2201 on: June 27, 2015, 07:33:51 PM

The best time to introduce new systems is when none of the previous ones are implemented.

The ultimate end-result of too many designers and not enough workers. It's like watching a project from my Firm's design studio without a fixed deadline.  ACK!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2202 on: June 28, 2015, 08:58:45 AM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2203 on: June 28, 2015, 11:13:30 AM

So European trucker simulator in space?
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2204 on: June 28, 2015, 02:53:54 PM

So European trucker simulator in space?

Even better than that.  European Truck Passenger Simulator 2016
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: