Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:12:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 956897 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1855 on: November 23, 2014, 10:02:47 PM

The 20 dollar ones almost certainly will sell out. The fact that the 2500 ones are a battleship will make it fairly certain that they will go too, but its not a total certainty.

The fact that they are offering cheaper packages at all might show they are trying to ease off on the grift as the money might be drying up a little, but they are trying to cover it. one of the things that will be important in this thing is to keep the money coming in you need to keep up the veneer of success. If the marks even get a sniff that te roller coaster is slowing a little they will baulk. I'm reading a book on Enron right now and a lot of the reasons for the crazy accounting fraud they pulled was to keep dazzling the stock market with bullshit so the money would keep coming in.

If they have gotten to the point that they need to keep the money coming in like a torrent to keep development going at all, then they are dead. Or they just feel they cant go quiet with money in the bank and sink into the hard graft of game programming. It must be a hell of an adrenaline rush to see these numbers even if they are genuine.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1856 on: November 24, 2014, 11:08:00 AM

Wait... they are selling a limited-edition capital ship that isn't even OUTFITTED? Like it's just a goddamn hull and hardpoints and after you spend $2,500 fucking dollars, you still have to outfit the goddamn thing? How the fuck have people not just gone and done a Super Bowl riot on his fucking car yet?

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1857 on: November 24, 2014, 11:38:21 AM

You didn't know they sell each gun for like $4-16 in another little store?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/voyager-direct/weapons

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #1858 on: November 24, 2014, 11:39:24 AM

wait, the ships don't come outfitted? Or do they give you shitty guns for your imaginary future ship that you can then upgrade/make proper with these guns?
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1859 on: November 24, 2014, 11:43:13 AM

wait, the ships don't come outfitted? Or do they give you shitty guns for your imaginary future ship that you can then upgrade/make proper with these guns?

but it’s important to note that this isn’t the ultimate battleship for players who can afford it: Javelins will be sold stripped of military hardware, and it will be a new starting challenge for players to work together with their organizations to outfit them. The Javelin comes with LTI.

realism! awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #1860 on: November 24, 2014, 01:09:23 PM

Idiotic.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1861 on: November 24, 2014, 01:10:57 PM

Sorry for going off topic ( why so serious?); amidst the whole anniversary stuff, an interesting article about the current design for player healing/wounds/damage was posted (limb based, body draggin', healing with appropriate tools and using rescue ships, among other things):

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14318-Design-Healing-Your-Spacemen

As it stands, it's going to be somewhat intertwined with the "Death of a Spaceman" design which dates back to February 2013, and that is still considered as the official "death mechanic" at least 'til some more real testing is made.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1862 on: November 24, 2014, 02:10:04 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.  swamp poop  ACK!

Fuck me. Just when I thought this game couldn't find another hole to corn, it plumbs those depths even further.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1863 on: November 24, 2014, 05:02:14 PM

From just reading around here, my impression was that the ships were not outfitted, but you're not just buying a hull (a la EVE Online), you're buying an insured hull (you can pull as many free replacements into your hangar as you want).  Sort of like SWTOR does it with its Cartel gear.  But yeah, those guns are consumables; if the ship blows up they're gone.  Didn't know about the gun shop though.

It's quite amusing at this point.  Question for those who know:  are there other ship classes besides snub fighter, small transport, and battleship?  Cruisers, frigates, etc?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1864 on: November 24, 2014, 10:38:55 PM

From just reading around here, my impression was that the ships were not outfitted, but you're not just buying a hull (a la EVE Online), you're buying an insured hull (you can pull as many free replacements into your hangar as you want).  Sort of like SWTOR does it with its Cartel gear.  But yeah, those guns are consumables; if the ship blows up they're gone.  Didn't know about the gun shop though.

All ships so far come fully outfitted with a default load-out, which can be changed. EVE analogy would be getting an Abbadon already fitted with Pulse lasers, EANM II, etc... The difference is the customization is more far reaching and also includes things like the engine, thrusters, power plant.

Ship insurance has to be bought, but is said to be less "hardcore" than EVE in the sense that it's lower cost and if your ship blows up the insurance contract doesn't have to be re-bought. Balancing-mechanics are supposed to be that if you lose your ship repeatably in short time-frame it will take longer for the replacement ship to arrive. Furthermore cargo and gear (loadout) insurances are priced according to "system sec rating" they are valid.

Question for those who know:  are there other ship classes besides snub fighter, small transport, and battleship?  Cruisers, frigates, etc?

Yes. The basic ship-classes are those familiar from the old Wingcommanders: fighters and bombers. Next step up would be those you know from WC Privateer: freighters/multipurpose vessels. This class varies from ships like the Freelancer, which is in it's core still a one person ship with a large cargo-hold to bigger types like the Constellation, which has two manned turrets and a tiny baby-fighter it can launch.

Biggest player ships are frigates. Around 20x time the length of a normal fighter. As example the Idris has 7 turrets and a hangar for 2-3 full-size fighters. Those have been sold in limited sale for $ 1250 each. Which is admittedly crazy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:44:36 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1865 on: November 24, 2014, 11:45:23 PM

This shit is more complicated than derivatives trading.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1866 on: November 24, 2014, 11:48:48 PM

And has been invalidated by the new release of the Javelin Destroyer for $2500 which is the new biggest nonStarship in the nonGalaxy!

Any guess about what the price of Cruisers will be?

Hic sunt dracones.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1867 on: November 25, 2014, 12:58:47 AM

Or even perhaps, a BattleCruiser?

why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1868 on: November 25, 2014, 03:01:54 AM

BattleCruiser $3000
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1869 on: November 25, 2014, 05:43:08 AM

Except in derivatives trading there's a chance that more than one person will get rich while doing it.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1870 on: November 25, 2014, 05:47:24 AM

Probably more, I at least understand derivatives trading to a degree. I don't get this at all.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1871 on: November 25, 2014, 06:26:38 AM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1872 on: November 25, 2014, 06:56:26 AM

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1873 on: November 25, 2014, 09:25:25 AM

BattleCruiser $3000
At this rate 30.000 more like. But I see what you did there why so serious?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1874 on: November 27, 2014, 03:02:41 PM

I know you've all been waiting for it.  Get 'em while they're hot:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14335-Introducing-The-Javelin-Destroyer
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1875 on: November 27, 2014, 03:03:21 PM

CIG just released a detailed presentation of the Javelin (at least in its current state), the Destroyer-class ship (yep, the $2500 one):

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14335-Introducing-The-Javelin-Destroyer

Intended only for group/organization play (although it looks we'll get aboard one in the early stages of the single-player campaign), among other things it features an hangar that can accomodate a lot of smaller ships.
------

The Caterpillar, which I think was first unveiled during or immediately after the original funding campaign, also got a dedicated article:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14331-Raid-Commander-The-Drake-Caterpillar

WHAT MAKES THE CATERPILLAR COOL?

The phrase ‘fighting transport’ may seem like a contradiction in terms, but it’s accurate here! The Caterpillar is intended to be the centerpiece of pirate raids in the Star Citizen world. Imagine teaming up with your friends to attack a shipping convoy: a squadron of Cutlasses for cover and interdiction, a Herald for Electronic Warfare duties and a Caterpillar for the dirty work. The Caterpillar is highly modular, and can be configured for a number of different roles… even the command pod detaches for a quick getaway. The ‘Cat is also intended as a platform for boarding operations. Pirates can martial their shock troops aboard the ship and then force their way onto larger targets like frigates and cruisers!

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1876 on: November 27, 2014, 11:51:11 PM

Pirates can martial their shock troops aboard the ship and then force their way onto larger targets like frigates and cruisers!

The (cynical) realist in me wants to cringe every time they promise stuff like this but somehow there's still a very tiny part left that wonders (hopelessly) if they might actually succeed in creating something that will actually be fun.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1877 on: November 28, 2014, 08:45:08 AM

Forget spaceships, this is the announcement I've been waiting for.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14336-Letter-From-The-Chairman

Pets – We have repair bots, we have fish… but we haven’t implemented a traditional pet system in Star Citizen yet. At $64 million, that changes. From Jones the Cat in Alien to the Battlestar Galactica’s Daggit, pets have a place onboard starships… and we want to give you that option in Star Citizen. Expect traditional terrestrial options, plus anything exotic we can dream up in the Star Citizen universe! (Those Torshu Grey crabs that keep escaping are just the start.) This stretch goal is in honor of Paddington, Strike Dog of the UEES Paul Steed. In one of our first videos Paddington helped us get to $4 million back in the initial campaign, and sadly passed away recently.

Count me in!

why so serious?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1878 on: November 28, 2014, 08:57:44 AM

Next up, a comprehensive pet battle system with location based damage and a physics engine.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1879 on: November 28, 2014, 09:01:41 AM

I propose a Pikachu class Pet Carrier!!

Hic sunt dracones.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1880 on: November 28, 2014, 09:02:53 AM

Can we put our pets in little space suits and launch them from torpedo tubes as shock troops?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1881 on: November 28, 2014, 09:26:38 AM

Can we put our pets in little space suits and launch them from torpedo tubes as shock troops?

At $100 million.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1882 on: November 28, 2014, 09:44:54 AM

Pirates can martial their shock troops aboard the ship and then force their way onto larger targets like frigates and cruisers!

The (cynical) realist in me wants to cringe every time they promise stuff like this but somehow there's still a very tiny part left that wonders (hopelessly) if they might actually succeed in creating something that will actually be fun.

The problem is that you imagine what it's like to watch that in a movie and it is exciting.  And then you imagine what it's like to actually do in a game and it's like 5 hours sitting around setting it up and then oops our ship got blown up before we could even get on the enemy ship.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1883 on: November 29, 2014, 10:14:59 PM

Can we breed our pets, to finally realize the dream of space sex geckos?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1884 on: December 01, 2014, 03:10:07 PM

An easy way to get to $100 million would be to offer robot waifus a la Freedom Wars.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1885 on: December 01, 2014, 04:14:29 PM

The problem is that you imagine what it's like to watch that in a movie and it is exciting.  And then you imagine what it's like to actually do in a game and it's like 5 hours sitting around setting it up and then oops our ship got blown up before we could even get on the enemy ship.
So basically Eve Online then?

-Stephen Colbert
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1886 on: December 01, 2014, 05:05:17 PM

So basically Eve Online then?

Eve Online without the unique political/system ownership system that at least makes the tedium worth it in the end.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1887 on: December 02, 2014, 07:27:40 AM

Don't worry, I'm sure that will be in one of the stretch goals.

-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1888 on: December 02, 2014, 03:52:58 PM

Who needs politics when you have meticulously modeled space crates to hide in?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1889 on: December 03, 2014, 01:13:43 AM

Well, if nothing else they have the scammers part down already awesome, for real
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: