Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 04:53:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm: Preparing For Patch 4.0.1 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cataclysm: Preparing For Patch 4.0.1  (Read 155672 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #280 on: October 22, 2010, 04:15:57 PM

It seems like you are crying (again, as you have been for years on this board) about how your "raid alliance" is getting screwed by Blizzard design decisions. You choose to run raids with the same people every week but allow them to be in different guilds for whatever reason (too many people wanting to be 'guild leader'?) which is counter to the way that the entire raid concept was designed. Why not have your three guilds with 15 people each just merge and go on about your business as one guild?

1 - I've been in the same guild for 10 years across 3 different games.
2 - It's an alliance of 12 guilds with 200+ characters who put together about 2 seperate 25 mans and a slew of 10 mans with no real borders besides who we like. We were put together 4 years ago due to the exact pressure of uber-guilds controlling the only access to raiding. Suggesting we give up the guild autonomy and family atmosphere for the people that don't even raid within the alliance is like suggesting that the US just give up states and become one giant blob.
3 - Just because I like some of the people to raid with out of the 200+ in the alliance, doesn't mean we want to share an always open chat channel, decide leadership, or let certain cliques within the system try to play politics. Nor do we even share similar raiding goals from hardcore to casual across the alliance.

Here's a better question. Care to tell me how simply dividing up the xp is a worse idea than forcing 8 into a ten man? That literally would solve any complaint I have with this system. I don't give a shit about guild achievements or whatever.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: October 22, 2010, 04:19:45 PM

I won't predict doom, but I will call it a stupid system design added to other recent missteps they have made.

It will go down in history as Cataclysm's Vehicle System.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: October 22, 2010, 04:24:57 PM

Here's a better question. Care to tell me how simply dividing up the xp is a worse idea than forcing 8 into a ten man? That literally would solve any complaint I have with this system. I don't give a shit about guild achievements or whatever.
Because it's a guild advancement system, not an advancement system for people who happen to be in guilds.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: October 22, 2010, 04:25:39 PM

It seems like you are crying (again, as you have been for years on this board) about how your "raid alliance" is getting screwed by Blizzard design decisions. You choose to run raids with the same people every week but allow them to be in different guilds for whatever reason (too many people wanting to be 'guild leader'?) which is counter to the way that the entire raid concept was designed. Why not have your three guilds with 15 people each just merge and go on about your business as one guild?

1 - I've been in the same guild for 10 years across 3 different games.
2 - It's an alliance of 12 guilds with 200+ characters who put together about 2 seperate 25 mans and a slew of 10 mans with no real borders besides who we like. We were put together 4 years ago due to the exact pressure of uber-guilds controlling the only access to raiding. Suggesting we give up the guild autonomy and family atmosphere for the people that don't even raid within the alliance is like suggesting that the US just give up states and become one giant blob.
3 - Just because I like some of the people to raid with out of the 200+ in the alliance, doesn't mean we want to share an always open chat channel, decide leadership, or let certain cliques within the system try to play politics. Nor do we even share similar raiding goals from hardcore to casual across the alliance.

Assuming the guilds are of roughly equal size and you at least have some people who level alts or do their daily quests, the fact you won't be getting any guild experience from raids will be irrelevant.

The daily guild experience cap is that low.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #284 on: October 22, 2010, 04:26:40 PM

Because it's a guild advancement system, not an advancement system for people who happen to be in guilds but pug-raid.

And are these people killing shit not in a guild? Does that guild not deserve some iota of credit for their participation? Why 8? Why not 5? Why not 6?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #285 on: October 22, 2010, 04:29:52 PM

Assuming the guilds are of roughly equal size and you at least have some people who level alts or do their daily quests, the fact you won't be getting any guild experience from raids will be irrelevant.

The daily guild experience cap is that low.

I agree. I'm sure we will. I'm sure a lot of people will. I just question why it's even a requirement if the cap is so low that we're talking about numbers requirements in 10 and 25 mans. At the higher levels I'm not sure the caps will be as forgiving, or if they continue to add levels in the future, which they undoubtedly will.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #286 on: October 22, 2010, 04:30:08 PM

If you don't give a shit about guild achievements, then stop whining.  There's no problem.

In reality you DO care and you think it's unfair that you're going to be locked out from certain perks larger guilds will get very quickly.  That or you're concerned that the more hardcore segments of your alliance will grow their guild(s), say fuck off and you'll be doing fuckall besides twiddling your thumbs.  That's the risk you run doing alliances.

There's little incentive to grow your guild into a mega guild unless you're a leader (or leadership core) concerned only with advancing yourself on the loot front.  It leads to too much drama and whining when you're sitting lots of players out.  People also see though that shit quick and quit or form their own guild to avoid such bullshit.

For 25 man raids, the ideal is 30-34 regular players, that's it. Any more and you're going to get folks sitting out too much causing tension. Any fewer and you're often crippled by too many people needing the same night off, or missing due to RL issues.  Your doomsday scenarios of 3-4 megaguilds per server are very Chicken Little but not at all reality based.  This isn't EQ where you could zerg a raid with 200 players, so having a guild of 500 or more was advantageous.  

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: October 22, 2010, 04:34:50 PM

Because it's a guild advancement system, not an advancement system for people who happen to be in guilds but pug-raid.

And are these people killing shit not in a guild? Does that guild not deserve some iota of credit for their participation? Why 8? Why not 5? Why not 6?
Because it is a guild advancement system. If your guild cannot muster enough strength to form 80% of a raid, then your guild isn't strong enough to reap the rewards from that raid. The individuals taking part already do, mind you - they're called "loot" and "points". Let's turn it around - why should Joe Bloggs in his one-man guild be able to classify "PUG raid I was one of twenty-five others" as a "guild raid"?

Why 80%? It scales nicely: 4/5 group, 8/10 raid or 20/25 raid.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #288 on: October 22, 2010, 04:38:08 PM

That or you're concerned that the more hardcore segments of your alliance will grow their guild(s), say fuck off and you'll be doing fuckall besides twiddling your thumbs.

Tbh that's a large concern. The Mega-guild thing is just hyperbole. The rest of it is just liking all the changes of a guild system besides the oddly placed number requirements that create weird results I don't think Blizzard wants.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #289 on: October 22, 2010, 04:40:35 PM

Because it is a guild advancement system. If your guild cannot muster enough strength to form 80% of a raid, then your guild isn't strong enough to reap the rewards from that raid. The individuals taking part already do, mind you - they're called "loot" and "points". Let's turn it around - why should Joe Bloggs in his one-man guild be able to classify "PUG raid I was one of twenty-five others" as a "guild raid"?

So, they can earn some of the rewards, just not all of the rewards because Blizzard tossed in an arbitrary number even when you're doing the exact same activity. 60% scales too.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: October 22, 2010, 04:44:00 PM

Tbh that's a large concern. The Mega-guild thing is just hyperbole. The rest of it is just liking all the changes of a guild system besides the oddly placed number requirements that create weird results I don't think Blizzard wants.

I'm personally not too fond of the idea. It's another XP/Rep grind type of thing with perks that are going to become a requirement bum bum buuum! like gemming or enchanting, so you can hit target number X for raiding. And then players will just expect that X value, and the actual reason behind leveling guilds (Encouraging guilds to be a fun and interesting thing to belong to) will be pushed aside.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #291 on: October 22, 2010, 04:46:24 PM

I'm personally not too fond of the idea. It's another XP/Rep grind type of thing with perks that are going to become a requirement bum bum buuum! like gemming or enchanting, so you can hit target number X for raiding. And then players will just expect that X value, and the actual reason behind leveling guilds (Encouraging guilds to be a fun and interesting thing to belong to) will be pushed aside.

Exactly. I totally agree. MMOG players min/max dryhump things like this into next week. That's why they had to fuck around with items like flasks, potions, etc.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: October 22, 2010, 05:05:12 PM

None of the perks are more than quality-of-life buffs.

Will being in a level 25 guild with Exalted reputation be useful to you personally, sure.  Will what your guild's level be matter to getting into a PUG, no.

"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: October 22, 2010, 06:17:33 PM

I am totally failing to see the rage and upset that this is causing.  Bigger guilds have better perks?  Say it ain't so!  It's not like if you aren't of size X guild you automatically don't get into raids or heroics...
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #294 on: October 22, 2010, 06:36:23 PM

The poopsock vote has spoken.  Yeesh.  I'll go crawl back in my hole.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:42:36 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #295 on: October 22, 2010, 06:43:42 PM

Also, look at it this way, only small guilds really get much "personal storage" with the guild bank. So say that for those guilds of 1 or 2 people using it for the bank need it for the bank space, what about the people with 30 members? Those guys don't get the same amount of bank space as the 1 member guilds, so it's not really a case of "me too".

Honestly, guilds with 30 members would have no "personal" space in a guild vault. It only takes 1 looter. It'd all be blues for alts and that kind of stuff. Then again, nothing is stopping them from having their mains in a "real" guild and a personal guildbank for their bank alts, either. That's what I have (shared with my wife).

For you people getting bent out of shape at me for saying Blizzard should crackdown on small guilds, what I meant was the vanity guild names. Those are, and have always been a pet peeve of mine.

Sure, but it's not much different to people with retarded character names. I met a paid of dickheads (and they were dickheads) on a pug who both had "Kunt" as part of their names. They all fly under the rader until reported, and I'm not sure how you manage to tell that "Luvs 2 Spooge" is a guild with one moron or 16 morons in it.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: October 22, 2010, 06:47:38 PM

and I'm not sure how you manage to tell that "Luvs 2 Spooge" is a guild with one moron or 16 morons in it.

awesome, for real

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: October 22, 2010, 07:08:29 PM

So does 20%. 1/5 group, 2/10 raid, 5/25 raid. The 80% is an arbitrary bullshit number.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #298 on: October 22, 2010, 07:11:20 PM

Yes, because if 20% of a group is in the same guild it's clearly a guild group rather than an assortment of pugs.   The idea was to have over a majority belonging to the same guild to qualify it as a "guild run."  60, 70 or 80%.. They chose 80 over 60.  Cry more.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: October 22, 2010, 07:16:30 PM

This discussion hit full retard.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #300 on: October 22, 2010, 07:22:47 PM

Yes, because if 20% of a group is in the same guild it's clearly a guild group rather than an assortment of pugs.   The idea was to have over a majority belonging to the same guild to qualify it as a "guild run."  60, 70 or 80%.. They chose 80 over 60.  Cry more.

They released a dungeon finder and gave you a freaking pet for pugging dungeons. Then, within the span of a couple months, create a system which blatantly discourages pugging dungeons. It's like the designers are completely bi-polar.

People were running more dungeons, loved the ease of use, etc etc. Exactly what was broken that led to this?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #301 on: October 22, 2010, 08:00:32 PM

Seems like a calculated attempt at subscription retention.  You've got a set of conditions for a guild to advance and you have to advance personally within the guild.  They'll make it so it's deterimental to leave the guild and in turn detrimental to leave the game.

It's just another thing for someone like myself to look at, sigh, and then hit the cancel sub button that much quicker.  They've been removing those potential "this game isn't exactly for me" moments steadily as game has progressed.  This seems regressive for me.  Exciting for others, but regressive for me.

I really don't know what it's going to involve, but I'm assuming that even when I effectively ignore the new guild-based bullshit, it won't really make much of a difference to my style of play.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #302 on: October 22, 2010, 08:04:04 PM

Funny how the player cap for large guilds was handwaved away here with a "Not my playstyle therefore it's not an issue" but now that people in their glorified-group "guilds" realise that they're fucked, guild advancement is suddenly a huge problem that needs to be discussed and fixed.

Seven people isn't a guild, it's a group with two spares.

500 (or a thousand) people isn't a guild. It's Barrens Chat and West Commons rolled into one. A fucking Zoo of random cunts, the majority of which you'll never associate with in any way.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: October 22, 2010, 08:09:56 PM

I am totally failing to see the rage and upset that this is causing.  Bigger guilds have better perks?  Say it ain't so!  It's not like if you aren't of size X guild you automatically don't get into raids or heroics...
Aren't they making the rewards for 10 and 25 man the same so that bigger guilds don't have perks?  One hand giveth, the other taketh away?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #304 on: October 22, 2010, 08:16:27 PM

Yes, because if 20% of a group is in the same guild it's clearly a guild group rather than an assortment of pugs.   The idea was to have over a majority belonging to the same guild to qualify it as a "guild run."  60, 70 or 80%.. They chose 80 over 60.  Cry more.

They released a dungeon finder and gave you a freaking pet for pugging dungeons. Then, within the span of a couple months, create a system which blatantly discourages pugging dungeons. It's like the designers are completely bi-polar.

People were running more dungeons, loved the ease of use, etc etc. Exactly what was broken that led to this?

Many designers, many pet projects, one game. See: Arena => all other PvP and PVE Balance. Dungeon finder pugs will be dead for some time with the new "we make it challenging/hard again - healing and CC matters bigtime" design which will kick the casual and average-skilled players who probably play more as a game than a lifestyle in the balls. Got my RAF mount, so that's a month worth of gameplay that takes me to about the middle of Nov. Add a 60 day gamecard and I'm on till mid-Jan. Then it's Xbox time again for a year or so till all this shit gets shaken out.  awesome, for real

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: October 22, 2010, 08:39:44 PM

I am totally failing to see the rage and upset that this is causing.  Bigger guilds have better perks?  Say it ain't so!  It's not like if you aren't of size X guild you automatically don't get into raids or heroics...
Aren't they making the rewards for 10 and 25 man the same so that bigger guilds don't have perks?  One hand giveth, the other taketh away?

Same amount of loot per person between 10 and 25, but 25 gives more points (per person, natch).

As for guild experience, any guild that raids as a guild (i.e. 80%+ of raid is in guild) should easily hit their daily guild experience cap on raid nights if they're downing bosses.  The advantage that larger guilds have is that they'll get achievements faster but that should balance out as that's a finite amount of experience.

Aside from that, any guild with say... ~10 or more active characters, in the sense that's doing dungeons/raids/rated BGs "as a guild" or questing, is on the same footing.

Numbers are obviously subject to change, but aside from corner cases like Paelos's, the system as it stands seems pretty good between guild sizes.

Edit: Clearly, edge cases such as guilds practically below charter levels and guilds above the new hard-cap are proper fucked for one reason or another.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:44:04 PM by caladein »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: October 23, 2010, 12:26:29 AM

The problem my guild has with the 80% rule is that even when we had a lot of people play, they were almost all DPS (or only wanted to play their DPS toons). As a result, we were always pugging 1-2 healers and occasionally 1 tank. This could be annoying as fuck if the difference between 2 pugs and 3 pugs is no guild xp.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: October 23, 2010, 03:31:14 AM

Funny how the player cap for large guilds was handwaved away here with a "Not my playstyle therefore it's not an issue" but now that people in their glorified-group "guilds" realise that they're fucked, guild advancement is suddenly a huge problem that needs to be discussed and fixed.

Seven people isn't a guild, it's a group with two spares.

500 (or a thousand) people isn't a guild. It's Barrens Chat and West Commons rolled into one. A fucking Zoo of random cunts, the majority of which you'll never associate with in any way.
I can quote too:

If your guild isn't strong enough to form an actual guild raid (as opposed to a PUG raid with a couple of guild members in it), then your guild doesn't get the guild rewards from guild raiding. It's not exactly a difficult concept to grasp. The individuals still get their individual rewards, and the guild still gets xp from guild groups for dungeons, etc.

E: guild guild guildity guild. It now looks spelt wrong to me because I've typed it so much.  swamp poop
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 03:36:19 AM by Simond »

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #308 on: October 23, 2010, 03:47:04 AM

I think you're missing my point. By rather a decent margin.  rolleyes

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: October 23, 2010, 04:04:35 AM

People will still do RDF for the daily bonus. I suspect folks will make guild groups when they can, and RDF when they can't and a week after release people will forget it was any other way.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: October 23, 2010, 04:28:43 AM

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: October 23, 2010, 06:15:56 AM

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spelt
Pronunciation

* IPA: /ˈspɛlt/, SAMPA: /"spElt/
    * Rhymes: -ɛlt

[edit] Etymology 1

See spell
[edit] Alternative forms

* spelled (US, Canadian)

[edit] Verb

spelt

1. (chiefly UK) Simple past tense and past participle of spell.

[edit] Quotations

* 1590, William Shakespeare, Love's Labour's Lost, v 1

Yes, yes; he teaches boys the hornbook. What is a, b, spelt / backward with the horn on his head?

Not just prehistoric wheat.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #312 on: October 23, 2010, 06:17:42 AM

He actually spelt it the correct way.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: October 23, 2010, 06:19:04 AM

Missed replying to it the first time.  We didn't hand-wave it.  Several commented it wasn't fair large guilds were being broken up.  A few might have, but unless those exact same people are now defending small guilds, there's no inconsistency.  (And short of "fuck them" being said, not being concerned with one end of the spectrum doesn't mean a "fuck them" is deserving for the other end.)

I think both are stupid.  Little guilds are what I have experience with, so it's what I'm going to comment on.  It's what a large portion of the game knows, so of course it's going to concern them.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: October 23, 2010, 07:13:16 AM

He actually spelt it the correct way.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Merriam-Webster doesn't recognize it as anything but grain.  Shakespeare is not a good source for your grammar lessons.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm: Preparing For Patch 4.0.1  
Jump to: