Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 02:38:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 108 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not  (Read 1152079 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1995 on: July 08, 2010, 01:06:57 PM

Hiked up to Feather Falls in Northern California (only about an hour and a half from where I grew up) on the 4th of July:

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #1996 on: July 12, 2010, 05:26:57 AM

Wow. That's well worth the hike!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1997 on: July 12, 2010, 07:06:49 AM

My first thought was "That dried moss or grass really plays havoc with a lot of cool routes."
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1998 on: July 12, 2010, 08:38:53 AM

Yeah, there are a few random jackass's every year who think it'd be an awesome idea to try scale the 450 foot cliff by the falls, and about every other year one of them falls to his death.

Or somebody slips and falls from the top because they its easy to get close to where the falls go down, and the rocks are slippery.  I didn't take this picture (got it from somewhere on the internet) but you can see how easy it is to get right above the falls.  Cool view if your brave enough to walk out on that ledge, heh:

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1999 on: July 12, 2010, 09:22:58 AM

The giant fence makes me sad. What a blight on a perfectly beautiful scene.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2000 on: July 12, 2010, 09:27:42 AM

Yeah, I always thought so as well.  But to many idiots have fallen off that damn rock, they had to do something.

-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2001 on: July 12, 2010, 10:26:13 AM

The idiots ruin it for those of us who know what we're about. I say call it darwinism and leave the blighted fence out of it. It's becoming more common, though. A lot of place I used to hike and climb as a kid are all fenced off now. So you're basically making sure that lawful skilled individuals have their fun ruined while the jackasses who decide to do something stupid just jump the fence.

Ohhhhh, I see.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2002 on: July 13, 2010, 05:59:39 PM

Played paparazzi to my girlfriend while mucking around with my roomies SLR this weekend. Some of the better/non blurry shots:

Bonus bum shot:

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2003 on: July 13, 2010, 08:33:30 PM

[brosef]
NOICE!
[/brosef]

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2004 on: July 13, 2010, 09:34:03 PM

Nice, keep it up.  Next stop, the T&A thread!   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
So you're basically making sure that lawful skilled individuals have their fun ruined while the jackasses who decide to do something stupid just jump the fence.
Well, I think if your trying to jump that particular fence, its only to commit suicide...

-Stephen Colbert
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2005 on: July 14, 2010, 05:19:39 AM

Nice, keep it up.  Next stop, the T&A thread!   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Heh, I'd lose my balls for that. The bum shots are fine because I have an 8x10 of her ass hanging on my wall. awesome, for real
Strazos

Reply #2006 on: July 14, 2010, 06:32:31 PM

Too bad she looks so...Canadian. why so serious?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2007 on: July 18, 2010, 10:10:03 PM

Too bad she looks so...Canadian. why so serious?

I take that as a compliment Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2008 on: July 21, 2010, 12:24:57 AM

I was going through some old folders and found a set of the old Miami Marine Stadium. I'd like to go back, if only so I can talk security into letting me in again.  why so serious?

Everything I shoot is either on a cell phone or whatever camera is available if someone is carrying one. Does upgrading to a high-end model make a huge difference?

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2009 on: July 21, 2010, 04:24:25 AM

Over a phone, yes.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #2010 on: July 23, 2010, 01:08:16 PM

Here is some Sweden for you.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:12:39 PM by Yoru »
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #2011 on: July 23, 2010, 02:15:18 PM

Anchoring forbidden?

AKA Gyoza
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #2012 on: July 26, 2010, 12:26:54 PM

Probably a power line or gas pipe under the water.  Pull that up, and Sweden explodes.   More opportunity for pictures, though!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2013 on: July 27, 2010, 01:54:57 AM

US Transport Plane at Shannon Airport, Ireland

The marshes outside Shannon Airport

'Dart' metro trains in Dublin

The Shannon River, taken from a bridge

Glenstal Abbey. These statues were put onto watchtowers to fool scouts that there was a guard watching, and discourage attack

More shots of the Abbey

Hic sunt dracones.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #2014 on: July 28, 2010, 03:49:51 PM

'Dart' metro trains in Dublin

Those are Luas trams, the DART uses ex BR locomotives that look like these

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2015 on: July 28, 2010, 03:55:23 PM

US Transport Plane at Shannon Airport, Ireland

Are we sending humanitarian aid to Ireland now as well?

-Stephen Colbert
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2016 on: July 28, 2010, 10:21:57 PM

Pretty much all US military flights into Iraq or Afghanistan stop in Shannon. It is interesting visiting Ireland and seeing an airport full of US soldiers and also comes very close (many would argue actually does) violate the neutrality part of Ireland's constitution.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2017 on: July 28, 2010, 10:48:20 PM

Pretty much all US military flights into Iraq or Afghanistan stop in Shannon. It is interesting visiting Ireland and seeing an airport full of US soldiers and also comes very close (many would argue actually does) violate the neutrality part of Ireland's constitution.
As long as they also allow the Taliban Air Force send its transport planes through their airports, then everything should be fine.

-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2018 on: July 29, 2010, 11:25:38 AM

Those are Luas trams, the DART uses ex BR locomotives that look like these

Yeah, you're right. My bad.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2019 on: August 02, 2010, 09:57:12 AM

Hm, I can't locate the original thread from 2008 where I did the first pass on upgrading my living room, removing most of the panelling and the ugly fake red brick and whatnot. This summer we did the ceiling and trim. No idea when we'll finish with round three, the floor. Fiancee picked some budget buster wood floors that'll have to wait a while, the housing fund took a beating by going with stained trim. Since I can't find the original thread, I'll post the two older shots as well.

Can't really see much of the details, and the switches on that wall were far enough out that they didn't get the treatment of getting wrapped in trim, which looks great. We also faked in a beam transition to the rest of the house (which still has the shitty tiles), added plinth blocks, lots of reveal details like the headers sitting out 1/4". It's so cool seeing all these ideas I jotted in a notebook two years ago come to life.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:00:08 AM by Sky »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2020 on: August 02, 2010, 10:22:51 AM

Very good call on the trim IMO.  Makes a huge difference.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2021 on: August 02, 2010, 10:47:09 AM

That fake red brick is one of the most awful things I have ever seen as part of an interior.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2022 on: August 02, 2010, 11:15:14 AM

Very good call on the trim IMO.  Makes a huge difference.
Thanks. The pic doesn't do it justice. With the plinth blocks and reveals, it has the characteristics of much more ornate trim, I stole the basic design of how it would be installed from some late 18th/mid 19th century places around here. Then I kept it super basic in a craftsman style, just top-grade pine with 2 coats of stain, 2 coats of poly. The downside is that anything we didn't upgrade (the floor, the doors) now looks like shit.
That fake red brick is one of the most awful things I have ever seen as part of an interior.
I keep a piece leftover from demo, in the garage. It really helps to explain to people seeing the modern version of the room. Also, in the "sample" you can clearly see the pink paint the red is covering up. When I took the paint off the opposite wall, there was also a layer of pink (the first pic shows the gloss white that was there when I bought it).

The den and kitchen still have some of the original faux brick, it's not terrible as far as faux bricks go, it's actually a brick veneer. But yeah...whatever possessed the previous occupants to paint it...
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2023 on: August 02, 2010, 11:28:40 AM

The downside is that anything we didn't upgrade (the floor, the doors) now looks like shit.

The doors look okay to me, but yeah, you really need a nice hardwood floor in that room.  Are you thinking a dark stain for that too, or something lighter/redder?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2024 on: August 02, 2010, 01:42:48 PM

That stain is actually a red mahogany, so it looks red in the sun and black in the shade. The initial fiancee pick is a rough finish, stained dark, almost a barn floor. Trying to keep the balance of classy but humble we got with the trim. Now I'm thinking that might be too dark but anything else might not work. Maybe a good cherry floor to bring out the reds in the trim...

The door I'm talking about is the steel door in the back, there's another not pictured that's been poorly painted blue (five total entries into the room, partly why staining took forever). The bifold closet doors are new, stained same as the trim; they replace the godawful accordion door of grease and crap collection (visible in pic 1). The french door at the far left is a custom door and awesome, but it needs to be sanded and re-stained.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2025 on: August 02, 2010, 02:00:45 PM

Maybe a good cherry floor to bring out the reds in the trim...

I think that'd look awesome.  We'd have gone with a cherry stain when we were fixing up our floors if we didn't need a really dark color to cover up the damage done by the previous owners (grrr).

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2026 on: August 02, 2010, 03:39:41 PM

That looks fantastic, Sky. What a transformation. 

Wish I'd thought to get a before picture of my dining room before adding the chair rail and trim.  Makes for a nice look back.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Strazos

Reply #2027 on: August 02, 2010, 06:43:46 PM

I don't see George...

Fear the Backstab!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2028 on: August 03, 2010, 08:53:22 AM

George is in the garage. Needs a new bulb but I'm planning to put it on craigslist pretty soon (summer time not the best for selling electronics). No f13 designation for the  65" 1080p Mitsu set :)
Wish I'd thought to get a before picture of my dining room before adding the chair rail and trim.  Makes for a nice look back.
The plan is to frame them in series, especially if I need to sell the house. I'll put each series in the appropriate room. Also create a notebook with all the photos showing the upgrades behind the walls, which is really the most important part. Looking at the 2008 pics, it's hard to believe the house ever looked like that. I only wish I had taken pics of the garage, which was basically a dump. Now it's a great functional space and I can put up pretty much all my firewood and still park in it, have my snowblower and storage for the summer stuff.

For a refresher, here's the bathroom remodel, the first project we did in 2008:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:55:26 AM by Sky »
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #2029 on: August 03, 2010, 09:16:43 AM

Jeez. That's like, beyond handyman. You weren't kidding about buying a house you had to fix up!

I'm painting/redoing my kitchen on a budget, and it's taken about 40 hours with nothing but scrubbing tile, sanding & repainting cabinets, wall, ceiling, and replacing hood/hinges/outlets/lights, so I can only imagine how long that's taken you.

Why are your outlets upside down?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:18:49 AM by bhodi »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 108 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not  
Jump to: