Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:44:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 989501 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2415 on: June 24, 2014, 07:33:28 AM

Almost every DIKU MMO with a Trinity has easy as balls dungeons that you can faceroll through. I don't see a problem with a game with hard ones.

I don't either if the game is meant for a niche audience.  Wildstar was made for mass appeal.  The masses are quickly figuring out that they aren't as hardcore as they thought they were.  The result will be that these masses will soon be taking their money with them when they leave.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2416 on: June 24, 2014, 07:39:50 AM

Yah, what lured me in was the promise of exciting content (ie. not all complete autopilot), not cockstabbing as a virtue in itself. This whole hardcore business devalues itself greatly when even the most pedestrian of starter dungeons pretends it's C'Thun.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2417 on: June 24, 2014, 07:42:06 AM

The masses are quickly figuring out that they aren't as hardcore as they thought they were.

It's fun to watch their elite dreams die. Like watching people who cleared normal in WoW talk shit about welfare epics and EZ mode.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #2418 on: June 24, 2014, 08:09:38 AM

I have never played an MMO where I enjoyed the dungeon, so I am guessing that this game won't be for me. I think the closest I came was I liked ganking people in Darkness Falls in DAoC.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2419 on: June 24, 2014, 08:11:08 AM

I have never played an MMO where I enjoyed the dungeon, so I am guessing that this game won't be for me. I think the closest I came was I liked ganking people in Darkness Falls in DAoC.

Rift had good dungeon mechanics and SWTOR weren't too bad either.  I was never a fan of WoW as there was too much red shit to dance around and Wildstar is like WoW red shit on steroids.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2420 on: June 24, 2014, 08:33:02 AM

SWTOR's dungeons were a bit punishing on the heroic side (particularly the Rhakgoul ones), and I never got to the "hard" RIFT stuff but it seemed okay.

I watched videos of the dungeon runs in Wildstar and was immediately like "Nope!".

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2421 on: June 24, 2014, 09:01:43 AM

Rift's dungeons were pretty fun, the few that I did.  Some difficult boss mechanics, but nothing too bad.  Too bad the game was so bland.  I'm not sure bland even covers it, it was such a flat, soulless presentation.  Somewhere in the middle of Rift, SWTOR, and Wildstar is an awesome game that will never be made.  

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2422 on: June 24, 2014, 09:37:35 AM

Too bad the game was so bland.  I'm not sure bland even covers it, it was such a flat, soulless presentation.   

why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #2423 on: June 24, 2014, 09:44:42 AM

Rift's dungeons at launch and Wildstars non-veteran dungeons are roughly the same difficulty level. Wildstar just feels harder due to the combat mechanics. I don't know how much harder dungeons get at the level cap as my character is still hovering around 30.

The leveling content is legitimately harder than any recent MMO, but I'm okay with that because leveling content in games like SWTOR, Rift, or WoW was incredibly boring due to the non-existent threat enemies pose.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2424 on: June 24, 2014, 09:48:40 AM

Rift's dungeons at launch and Wildstars non-veteran dungeons are roughly the same difficulty level. Wildstar just feels harder due to the combat mechanics. I don't know how much harder dungeons get at the level cap as my character is still hovering around 30.

It's a different kind of difficult.  One was a dps race while the other is a lesson in dodging red crap.  I prefer the former. 

-  Mark Twain
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2425 on: June 24, 2014, 09:56:40 AM

This is me, but the only dungeon i enjoyed was the first one in SWTOR.

I am the .00000001428%
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2426 on: June 24, 2014, 10:10:34 AM

For the record, I feel that Rift and SWTOR were both mechanically superior to Wildstar.  Wildstar gets points for their humor, quest variety, and general atmosphere.  

I lasted 6 months in Rift, about a year in SWTOR, and will be quitting Wildstar after the first month.  Not sure that is burnout or a conflict with the game mechanics talking though.  I'm guessing mechanics.  GW2 lost my interest for similar reasons.  If I have to kite or circle strafe through an entire combat sequence, I'm not really interested. 

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2427 on: June 24, 2014, 10:27:17 AM

The masses are quickly figuring out that they aren't as hardcore as they thought they were.

I really don't think most people went into this thinking 'yay hardcore difficult stuff and I'm awesome.' The game wasn't really advertised as 'Wildstar is going to make you its bitch'. I think all that stuff is probably a surprise to most people who saw the ads for a fun, colorful WoW clone.

I'm guessing mechanics.  GW2 lost my interest for similar reasons.  If I have to kite or circle strafe through an entire combat sequence, I'm not really interested. 

This is me too.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:29:07 AM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2428 on: June 24, 2014, 10:51:06 AM

I'm OK with either, but I wish Wildstar had some sort of autoattack, so I don't have to keep mashing the resourceless attack when I'm low on whatever.  Gets tiring.   Straight up diku stand-n-bang isn't really my favorite, but it can be improved if it's not at a glacial pace.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2429 on: June 24, 2014, 12:01:40 PM

I'm OK with either, but I wish Wildstar had some sort of autoattack, so I don't have to keep mashing the resourceless attack when I'm low on whatever.  Gets tiring.   Straight up diku stand-n-bang isn't really my favorite, but it can be improved if it's not at a glacial pace.

I'm totally fine with moving to avoid shit.  That makes perfect sense.  Having to move all the time while constantly spamming buttons... not my thing.

-  Mark Twain
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #2430 on: June 24, 2014, 01:51:36 PM

I'm with (most) of you guys. Constant forced movement isn't particularly difficult, but I find it quickly tiresome. I can't seem to get into that MMO zen state in Wildstar. Haven't logged in for the past week.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2431 on: June 24, 2014, 02:01:08 PM

Aren't adventures easy?
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #2432 on: June 24, 2014, 02:03:25 PM

An elitist would say yes absolutely, but you still need to pay attention at all times, and you are likely to wipe a bunch your first time. They're certainly easy compared to wildstar dungeons, but are quite difficult compared to WoW heroic dungeons or LFR.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #2433 on: June 24, 2014, 02:05:35 PM

I'm with (most) of you guys. Constant forced movement isn't particularly difficult, but I find it quickly tiresome. I can't seem to get into that MMO zen state in Wildstar. Haven't logged in for the past week.

I have to agree as well. Granted part of my dissatisfaction with the game is my old computer doesn't run it well and it frequently crashes. But even when it's working ok enough, I just found the game kinda wore me out. It's just too frantic all the time, I guess I want a more relaxed pace in my MMOs.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2434 on: June 24, 2014, 02:08:11 PM

Adventures are just boring because they went with the dumb virtual reality idea. Felt like those terrible caverns of time back in WoW.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #2435 on: June 24, 2014, 02:09:24 PM

Aren't adventures easy?

They aren't too bad, they are just chronically under-explained in-game. Your first time running each of them will likely be difficult, but completing them after that shouldn't be too difficult. Things get harder if you are trying to get a specific medal.

I have to agree as well. Granted part of my dissatisfaction with the game is my old computer doesn't run it well and it frequently crashes. But even when it's working ok enough, I just found the game kinda wore me out. It's just too frantic all the time, I guess I want a more relaxed pace in my MMOs.

I enjoy the combat and movement, but Wildstar definitely wears me out in a way that other MMOs don't. 2 hour sessions are my limit, anything longer than that and I start to feel mentally and physically tired.

It's a big part of the reason I'm still only level 30.  That said, playing 1-2 hours a few times a week I'm still having a great time with the game.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2436 on: June 24, 2014, 02:50:39 PM

I suppose it sort of depends on where you want your brain to be when playing an MMO. Most of the time when I am MMOing, I don't want to be ON ALERT at ALL TIMES, that gets tiring and makes me log off. I like to have a variety of brain activity. Sometimes I want to faceroll through a dungeon with some friends while eating dinner. Sometimes I want to PUG something without giving myself an ulcer. Sometimes I want to PUG something AND give myself an ulcer. Sometimes I want to do something challenging with my friends. Sometimes I want to question my choice of friends as we wipe constantly to a raid boss that we beat on the first try the week before.

The problem, from how it looks right now, is that Wildstar comes in two modes: completely braindead overworld stuff (and I can't even eat a sandwich during THAT because I have to still punch attacks, so still sucks) or ulcertown, with very little in between. I generally prefer the in between with occasional forays into the other stuff, but Wildstar, in spite of how its marketing comes across, is not at all interested in providing that (for now, anyway).

God Save the Horn Players
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2437 on: June 24, 2014, 02:56:35 PM

Almost every DIKU MMO with a Trinity has easy as balls dungeons that you can faceroll through. I don't see a problem with a game with hard ones.

You left out the word "enjoyable".

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2438 on: June 24, 2014, 03:17:15 PM

I suppose it sort of depends on where you want your brain to be when playing an MMO. Most of the time when I am MMOing, I don't want to be ON ALERT at ALL TIMES, that gets tiring and makes me log off.

That's because you're old and feeble. Get out of the way of the teens and 20-somethings chain-chugging Monster, Bawlz & Red Bull.  CHOO CHOO.

awesome, for real

I'm only half joking, too. It really feels like that's who modern combat in games is aimed at and I just can't give a shit anymore. Coincidentally I'm finding more and more "old man" hobbies appeal more and take more time than video games these days. I took a lovely walk the other day...

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2439 on: June 24, 2014, 03:42:53 PM

We had that kind of game in our 20s, they deserve nothing less if they want it.

At this point though, I'm sticking to silly things like SWTOR and I don't raid.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2440 on: June 24, 2014, 03:58:51 PM

It's not really that I can't (yet  why so serious?) but that I can't really be bothered most of the time. Which I suppose is a different Old Person Thing.

God Save the Horn Players
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2441 on: June 24, 2014, 04:22:47 PM

I hadn't really thought about it but someone hit the nail on the head when they said Wildstar wears you out after an hour or two. I play the game in little bursts then log out. Other games I can stay in for hours, sometimes with Netflix running in my other monitor and I'm fine with that. I think it comes down to my motivations. I no longer play for e-peen. I play for some social stuff and some pve stuff but raids? Shit I have to concentrate on? Fuck that. I work during that day and am too damned tired at night to work on my game too.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2442 on: June 24, 2014, 06:09:20 PM

I hadn't really thought about it but someone hit the nail on the head when they said Wildstar wears you out after an hour or two. I play the game in little bursts then log out. Other games I can stay in for hours, sometimes with Netflix running in my other monitor and I'm fine with that. I think it comes down to my motivations. I no longer play for e-peen. I play for some social stuff and some pve stuff but raids? Shit I have to concentrate on? Fuck that. I work during that day and am too damned tired at night to work on my game too.

It's probably a sign I'm old (just turned 40) but I felt the same way.  Playing Wildstar wore me out.  All the button clicking and dodging gets tiresome after awhile.

Also, the older I get the more naps I want to take. Get off my lawn!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2443 on: June 25, 2014, 04:37:26 PM

I don't find Wildstar combat tedious. I don't play it like I have other MMOs though. Like others, my sessions are infrequent and maybe 60-90 minutes. It's more hands on keyboard than EQ1, but I feel it's much different from how I played GW2 (wherein I dodged I think more frequently than was mathematically required wink).

The thing I have lost as I've gotten older though is the desire to spend multi-hour sessions glued to my screen to the exclusion of the real world. Somewhere around the seventh MMO requiring me to do that burned me out. No big loss there, just means I won't be selling accounts to whoever still buys that shit  awesome, for real
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2444 on: June 26, 2014, 06:59:48 AM

It's not really that I can't (yet  why so serious?) but that I can't really be bothered most of the time. Which I suppose is a different Old Person Thing.

It's absolutely an old person thing. Tanking and raid leading in WoW is still something I can do if I wanted to. The problem is you realize just how stupid it is wasting that much disposable time on an MMO that will replace your accomplishments every 6 months.

Or in the case of this WoW expansion, 12-16 months if they are lucky.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2445 on: June 26, 2014, 07:44:14 AM

Aren't adventures easy?

They aren't too bad, they are just chronically under-explained in-game. Your first time running each of them will likely be difficult, but completing them after that shouldn't be too difficult. Things get harder if you are trying to get a specific medal.

I enjoy the combat and movement, but Wildstar definitely wears me out in a way that other MMOs don't. 2 hour sessions are my limit, anything longer than that and I start to feel mentally and physically tired.

It's a big part of the reason I'm still only level 30.  That said, playing 1-2 hours a few times a week I'm still having a great time with the game.

There is a serious feeling of what the hell is going on when doing adventures the first few times. Once you figure out what that adventure is trying to do they are pretty reasonable.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2446 on: June 26, 2014, 09:03:03 AM

Gonna complain some more: why is the explorer path so unfinished? Nothing at all ever happens with any of it. Why am I even running around doing this?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2447 on: June 26, 2014, 09:18:08 AM

Gonna complain some more: why is the explorer path so unfinished? Nothing at all ever happens with any of it. Why am I even running around doing this?

For the costume pieces and sweet mount flair!!!   why so serious?

-  Mark Twain
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2448 on: June 26, 2014, 10:08:29 AM

Thought this was funny... and true.

-  Mark Twain
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #2449 on: June 26, 2014, 06:41:12 PM

Yeah, feel the same way about scientist.  It makes you think you're going to get little lore tidbits when you scan things, but it turns out that only happens in the tutorial.  Sort of disingenuous, really.

Ok, I think one time in Farside I scanned something that gave me a little tidbit.  So maybe one in forty scientist quests have it.  Seems legit.

That said I do like the game quite a bit so far.  Glad I haven't hit 50 though, from the sounds of it.  I actually am cool with cockstabbing, but not utterly toxic social environments.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: