Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 05:59:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dollhouse 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dollhouse  (Read 80666 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #280 on: September 26, 2009, 08:24:11 PM

I thought this episode was really swamp poop for some reason.  I think it's that the novelty of the premise (what there was of it) has completely worn off and now the bad acting is really shining through.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: September 27, 2009, 02:31:22 PM

I want my terminators back.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #282 on: September 28, 2009, 07:57:08 AM

I liked the sub plot between Amy Acker and the nerd. Of course, she then promptly drives away from the show.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #283 on: September 28, 2009, 09:25:39 AM

I liked the sub plot between Amy Acker and the nerd. Of course, she then promptly drives away from the show.

Yeah, that was the best part of the episode.  And it still felt ham-handed.  OMG THE FAKE PERSONALITIES ARE PEOPLE!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: October 07, 2009, 03:55:49 AM

I realized this during the first season and it's still true now: the more Dushku an episode contains, the more I dislike it.

So... this past episode was kinda hard to get through.  Seeing Miracle Laurie (Mellie/November) again was nice though.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: October 08, 2009, 11:47:22 AM

I realized this during the first season and it's still true now: the more Dushku an episode contains, the more I dislike it.

That's why the unaired episode is the best in the series.  She's just not a good enough actress to carry a show based entirely around the main character being a good actress.  I'm only still watching because i think Topher is hilarious and as an "atta boy" to FOX for not canceling it.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #286 on: October 09, 2009, 08:06:25 PM

I don't know why you would want to give Fox any credit for not canceling this and canceling Terminator. It seems incredibly stupid.

I'm still watching this show just so whenever anyone brings it up I can tell them to stop talking and never talk about TV again.

Whedon still sucks major, major ass.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: November 11, 2009, 04:11:01 PM

About god damn time.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3ibd4c93af8a3194fa8f32bc3b11c6126a

"Dollhouse" is closing its doors at Fox.

The network has canceled Joss Whedon's cult fave, which in May beat the odds with a second-season pickup despite low ratings.
schild
Administrator

Reply #288 on: November 11, 2009, 04:14:13 PM

By beat the odds, they mean "beat Terminator" at The Cancellation Wheel.

A Fox executive was overheard saying "The Cancellation Wheel" was not their greatest idea.
schild
Administrator

Reply #289 on: December 06, 2009, 08:34:25 PM

Watching Summer Glau torture Eliza Dushku is Whedon being way too fucking self-aware for his own good.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #290 on: December 07, 2009, 01:01:47 PM

It was over the top, but I really enjoyed Glau's character in that. I don't think I'd want to see her play a normal person though, it would just come off wrong.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #291 on: December 07, 2009, 03:38:10 PM

I'm surprised some of you are still watching this. I thought I'd be one of the few who'd give it a chance.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: December 07, 2009, 03:46:20 PM

I generally like the show. It may not be the best thing ever, but I like the fact most of the stories trend towards dark and fucked up. I'm sad it is going away, but hopefully they'll wrap it all up cleanly.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: December 07, 2009, 06:07:42 PM

I felt like the show was going completely south the last few episodes, but I found this last episode highly entertaining and next week's episode looks promising.  The promo was pretty funny with Alpha getting up from the "treatment" chair with a completely psycho look on his face and asking (Echo I assume):  "Wanna snuggle?"

most often known as Drevik
schild
Administrator

Reply #294 on: December 07, 2009, 06:14:45 PM

I'm surprised some of you are still watching this. I thought I'd be one of the few who'd give it a chance.
Most stuff is already on hiatus (at least that's what my TV Torrents account says). And this was the only thing that got updated that I hadn't already seen. Also, I watch almost everything through til the end. No matter how much I hate the folks involved.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #295 on: December 08, 2009, 06:04:44 AM

For me it was a case of auto pvr'ing. Hit List and, oh! something new to watch.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: December 08, 2009, 09:35:07 AM

The writing just stunk - my husband asked me if Joss Whedon is still involved.  Then we watched the second hour, which held our interest but he's right.  Maybe "stunk" is even putting it too mildly.

My Tivo's practically empty, aside from a cooking show and my kids' stuff.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: December 09, 2009, 10:42:12 PM

It's not Whedon's best. (insert sandy vagina comment from Schild here) It does have some good moment. Oddly, the character I started off disliking the most grew to be the character I kept coming back for and liking. That being the socipathic nerdy computer guy. I'm drawing a blank on his name tonight (Topher?) but he is a highly entertaining character.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #298 on: December 09, 2009, 10:58:26 PM

Oddly, the character I started off disliking the most grew to be the character I kept coming back for and liking. That being the socipathic nerdy computer guy. I'm drawing a blank on his name tonight (Topher?) but he is a highly entertaining character.

If you started off disliking the only likable member of the cast, I'm not entirely sure I'm the one with the sandy vagina - ye who posts on gaming forum.

See what I did there?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: December 10, 2009, 09:08:44 AM

Oddly, the character I started off disliking the most grew to be the character I kept coming back for and liking. That being the socipathic nerdy computer guy. I'm drawing a blank on his name tonight (Topher?) but he is a highly entertaining character.

If you started off disliking the only likable member of the cast, I'm not entirely sure I'm the one with the sandy vagina - ye who posts on gaming forum.

See what I did there?

I've never claimed not to have a sandy vagina about some things. For instance, my vagina is sand paper when it comes to shakey cam and the last two Bourne movies abortions. I always appreciated the actor but the character was portrayed as a dick. However, he started to become more nuanced overtime and he started to grow on me. Whether this was the writing or the actor I'll leave up to others to decide. I think it was a bit of both.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: December 10, 2009, 03:21:21 PM

Topher's grown on me, too, but I am getting the biggest kick out of Victor.  While all the she-actors are doing versions of themselves doing X Y and Z, he manages to totally transform himself.

I particularly liked him as Topher, talking to Topher.   :D   And him as Kiki was   Thumbs up!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: December 11, 2009, 07:06:20 AM

I enjoy Victor and his relationship with the kind of weird looking oriental doll, Sierra I think?

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #302 on: December 11, 2009, 10:41:53 AM

*awaiting pointy knee comment from Schild regarding Sierra*

schild
Administrator

Reply #303 on: December 11, 2009, 10:45:52 AM

Why would I make fun of her knees? She was downright ugly and I WOULD kick her out of bed.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: December 12, 2009, 04:53:04 AM

Had this on in the background last night while I played LOTRO.  I realized that I don't like a single character.  And I think it's written that way.  Isn't that Writing 101?
Make a sympathetic protagonist?  But I have to admit this is A pretty dark and original premise.  It's just not well done.  Heck, even Helo is a bad guy.  Helo!  

The only bright spot was Wash as Alpha.   His evil was fun and deadly.  The best kind.  

Glad to see more Firefly folks getting work.  Haven't seen the black female soldier (Zoe?) on TV, but thank's to her hubby she's got Matrix money.

/edit grammar
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 07:47:06 AM by Tannhauser »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #305 on: December 12, 2009, 06:22:53 AM

Gina Torres (Zoe) has a healthy acting career of her own.  She's a female character actor, not many big parts but plenty of work.  If you haven't seen her, it's because you didn't notice or aren't watching what she does.  I wouldn't feel sorry for her unless you also feel sorry for William H. Macy and Steve Buscemi.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #306 on: December 17, 2009, 09:13:40 AM

Had this on in the background last night while I played LOTRO.  I realized that I don't like a single character.  And I think it's written that way.  Isn't that Writing 101?
Make a sympathetic protagonist?

No, a writer doesn't HAVE to make a sympathetic protagonist. But they do have to make an interesting one. And none of the Dollhouse characters were all that interesting to me.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: December 17, 2009, 02:02:09 PM

These last few episodes have been really entertaining. Victor as Topher was a hoot and it was nice to see Summer Glau actually smile and I loved Topher's reaction to her. The only part of the last few episodes that felt "off" was the British chick's face-heel turn. I really thought they were moving towards something with the L.A. Dollhouse staff turning on the evil company as a group and were going to end the series with a sort of "the Rebellion has started" kind of vibe or something.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: December 17, 2009, 07:20:26 PM

Gina Torres (Zoe) has a healthy acting career of her own.  She's a female character actor, not many big parts but plenty of work.  If you haven't seen her, it's because you didn't notice or aren't watching what she does.  I wouldn't feel sorry for her unless you also feel sorry for William H. Macy and Steve Buscemi.

She's awesome.  I love watching her, the same way I loved watching Jeri Ryan (7 of 9) - amazing looking women, both of them.

Edited to add:  I loved the Victor as Topher episode.  The guy who plays Victor is really good at playing Topher!  Hilarious.

I totally don't get the thing with Adelle - is this a plot misdirection or a twist or what? 

Despite the sometimes unbelievably corny dumb dialog, I am getting a kick out of watching still.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:28:31 PM by Xanthippe »
schild
Administrator

Reply #309 on: December 17, 2009, 07:24:19 PM

Jeri Ryan is someone I clump in with chicks who strike me as white trash. List also includes Tori Spelling, Ali Larter, and Jaime Pressly.

There's just something about them that screams trash. Can't be helped.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: December 17, 2009, 07:29:08 PM

Jeri Ryan is someone I clump in with chicks who strike me as white trash. List also includes Tori Spelling, Ali Larter, and Jaime Pressly.

Oh you are so off on that!

Tori Spelling yes, and I don't know who the rest of those are, but Jeri Ryan?  No way!
schild
Administrator

Reply #311 on: December 17, 2009, 07:42:04 PM

Way.

Sorry.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: December 17, 2009, 08:33:10 PM

The interesting thing about Jaime Pressly is that she's actually really funny. I first saw her in some canceled TV show where she played a total bitch but since then I've seen her do alot of comedy stuff and she has great timing.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: January 13, 2010, 06:48:24 AM

The last episode of Dollhouse was perhaps the best so far.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #314 on: January 13, 2010, 09:48:52 AM

It's obvious that knowing you only have x episodes left makes it easier to write a compelling few episodes to wrap everything up. That last episode had the most ridiculous plot twist ever, but I still enjoyed it. I've enjoyed this entire run of episodes since the show was officially cancelled, mainly becuase they finally dropped the "story of the week" crap, and focused on one solid plotline.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dollhouse  
Jump to: